Elvis & The Imposters, Dublin, May 9 '12

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis & The Imposters, Dublin, May 9 '12

Post by johnfoyle »

From Elvis' site-

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/elv ... -tour-/242

(extract)

Tickets go on sale Friday October 28th (except Dublin – November 3rd) and are available to buy from http://www.bookingsdirect.com / 0844 338 0000. Prices start at £30.

Elvis Costello & The Imposters play:

May

Wed 9th DUBLIN, Grand Canal Theatre

This show, however , is not listed today - Nov. 3 - on the Ticketmaster or Grand Canal Theatre sites. Phone calls to same also elicit responses of mystification, people saying they know nothing about it. Elvis did mention the show on stage last Friday in Belfast , saying he would be back next year, qualifying it a bit by saying that it wouldn't be here (Belfast) but the 'environs'.

More when I know it!
Last edited by johnfoyle on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis/'Spinning - Dublin, May 9 '12 ?

Post by johnfoyle »

Now Elvis' site merely says -

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/elv ... -tour-/242

Elvis Costello & The Imposters play:

May

Wed 9th DUBLIN

The Grand Canal Theatre is no longer listed. Will it end up back in the Olympia , like in 1986, or will 'the ban' still hold ?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Interesting. And possibly doable.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A change of venue to a much larger one. Ambitious or foolhardy? After my recent travels I certainly can't afford to buy tickets this weekend. I really can't see it being a quick seller so getting them later should be no problem.

http://www.hotpress.com/Elvis-Costello/ ... w_layout=1

Elvis Costello for the O2

He'll be bringing his Imposters along for a summer show.

The Hot Press Newsdesk, 21 Nov 2011

May 9 will be the date, and Elvis Costello will be the legendary artist taking to the O2 stage for what might well be one of the highlights of the summer.

As part of the Revolver Tour, Elvis & The Imposters will be bringing his Spectacular Spinning Songbook to our nation's capital. What the heck does that mean? Audience members will be invited to take a spin onstage and select the next song to be played – chance might favour the likes of 'Oliver's Army' or 'Shipbuilding', or come up with lesser known selections from the one-time Declan McManus' formidable back catalogue. There's also something called the Hostage-To-Fortune Go-Go Cage. Not that Costello needs any tricks or props to keep an audience entertained, you understand.

Tickets go onsale this Friday November 25 at 9am, and are priced from €49.65. Tickets are available from Ticketmaster outlets nationwide and www.ticketmaster.ie.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis/'Spinning - Dublin, May 9 '12 - its on!

Post by johnfoyle »

Discussion of the gig in comments section of this -

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/onthere ... ince-pies/

Extracts -

I see the 02 have followed up their Florence booking with Elvis Costello. His Spinning Wheel show that had previously been listed on his website for the Grand Canal Theatre has been upgraded. Seems a shame – I’d love to see the show in a smaller theatre but surely it will lose much of its charm in the bigger hall?

Also, gimmicks aside, doesn’t the 02 seem a bit massive for Elvis in 2011? Think the last time he was in Dublin was Vicar Street and the time before was the Stadium in 2001. Interesting to see how many people will give up a Wednesday night to sit in the 02 waiting for the hits that may never come..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John – with you on all of that – thought the GCT was perfect for EC but not so sure if he’s “big” enough right now to do the O2. Then again, it’s with The Attractions( huh?!!! -JF) so he might get a Lenny Cohen-like bounce? It’s his first show in the city in YONKS, though – remember seeing playing in the National Concert Hall back in 1999 and he was amazing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The O2 is waaaay to big for Elvis. I love the guy and have been waiting to buy tickets (for the GCT) since I got the first whiff but moving to the O2 is a bit of a sour move.

As for avoiding Dublin, I think the last proper show (excluding Billy Bob Thornton appearances & Vicar St) he played in the capital was 2002 in Stadium. I don’t think he felt too welcome for a long time due to marital strife…
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

verbal gymnastics

Is the O2 Dublin one of those venues with different sized halls inside it?

Perhaps our man won't be playing in the biggest hall.
verbal gymnastics

Well it's at the same venue although sweetest punch said he received an email saying the show was cancelled and not postponed. Perhaps there was some misinformation somewhere along the line.

It would be interesting if he's slotted in a solo show within the Songbook Tour.

Unfortunately a June date might make it difficult for me to go.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Dublin 02 is has the one , big auditorium. The London one has, of course, a few venues.

By the way, Verbal, I think you replied to the new Eindhoven thread here by accident!
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

When Elvis added the second date at the RAH there must have been a knowledge of how many people had applied for tickets. Perhaps the demand in Dublin was such that the previous hall wasn't big enough, I can't see why you would upgrade or add an extra date if there was little interest.

I do think this tour has a bit more for the casual fan to go and see. I know it's not The Attractions but its as near as, and I think the interest in Elvis is more when he has the band with him. When it comes I can see Elvis doing quite a bit of publicity for it.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

John, the Dublin O2 is the old Point, right?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Yes, much improved though, better sight lines , semi-circular seat layout etc. It still has the same over-priced drink and tendency to attract punters there for the social occasion rather than the show.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/onthere ... -of-scale/

November 22, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

Heritage acts and a question of scale

Jim Carroll

Two recent gig announcements prompt some headscratching round OTR’s way. Firstly, there’s Elvis Costello & The Imposters. Originally mooted for the Grand Canal Theatre, his Revolver show (featuring a Spectacular Spinning Songbook big wheel along the same lines to the one which EC had when he played the Olympia back in 1986) will now be pulling up to the O2 on May 9, with tickets ranging in price from €64.95 to €49.65 (plus TM charges). Then, there’s Simple Minds. They play Dublin’s Olympia on March 4 with a setlist focused on their first five albums (the good stuff before they got stadiumitis). Tickets for this one are €44.05 (plus TM fees).

Even though the capacity of the O2 will be “limited” to 4,000 (“an intimate theatre setting” which will hopefully mean you won’t be wondering why three-quarters of the venue is empty), is there really that sort of demand to see Costello in Dublin in 2011? Previously, he has played venues like Vicar Street (2010), National Stadium (2001), National Concert Hall (1999) and Olympia (passim). While the Revolver show has been getting rave reviews in the United States, it’s hard to see how he’s going to pull in the numbers to make this one work. Even the Grand Canal Theatre, a venue which many are still unsure about when it comes to its suitability for live music, would have been a bit of a stretch, seeing as his last Vicar Street show was not sold out.

By contrast, I’d say the Olympia will be hopping for Jim Kerr and co. There’s a bit of a Simple Minds’ revival at present – dude, go listen to The Horrors or Wu Lyf albums again – and they, like EC, seem to realise that the audience want to hear the old stuff. The Olympia is just right to accommodate the current fanbase (like the Sisters of Mercy the other week, you don’t have to do any work to appeal beyond the heartland) and a barnstorming gig in downtown Dublin will generate enough postive word of mouth to ensure an upgrade on a future visit. Sure, Simple Minds have played bigger gaffs in the city – they filled Croke Park back in 1986, for instance – but they seem to recognise that those days are over.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Costello show. Maybe I’m wrong and there are 4,000 people out there willing to shell out for those tickets and see Costello play the hits. Maybe there’s a Lenny Cohen-like moment about to happen for EC (Lenny has a new album coming out in January so what chances another visit by him here in 2012?). But unlike Cohen, there have been ample opportunities to see Costello of late (he played Sligo and Belfast earlier this year, after all). It’s a weird call, EC at the O2, so we’ll watch this space with interest and prepare to be proven wrong. At least, the dude isn’t trying to shift any VIP Experience tickets for this one (yet).
verbal gymnastics

johnfoyle wrote:The Dublin 02 is has the one , big auditorium. The London one has, of course, a few venues.

By the way, Verbal, I think you replied to the new Eindhoven thread here by accident!
You're right.

Must be a glitch when posting from a mobile/cellphone.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

johnfoyle wrote:Yes, much improved though, better sight lines , semi-circular seat layout etc. It still has the same over-priced drink and tendency to attract punters there for the social occasion rather than the show.
Thanks John. Was there in 94 for Costello and also for the Beach Boys sometime around then. Was an ok venue I recall, very big.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

johnfoyle wrote:Yes, much improved though, better sight lines , semi-circular seat layout etc. It still has the same over-priced drink and tendency to attract punters there for the social occasion rather than the show.
John I see on Ticketmaster that the configuration for next May's show is "intimate theatre" does that mean they close off the top tier?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

John I see on Ticketmaster that the configuration for next May's show is "intimate theatre" does that mean they close off the top tier?
It seems so.

Tickets are being given away for this show all this week on this radio show -

http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/P ... /Blog.aspx

The question usually gets asked about 8.30 and the winners announced after the 9 o'clock news.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Tonight's question was 'Blood and --------' was the question - too easy! And I won! I was holding off getting tickets 'cos I'm broke after a lot of travel lately. Now I'm sorted! Fan-fecking-tastic!
John

Re: Elvis/'Spinning - Dublin, May 9 '12 - I won tickets!

Post by John »

Fantastic John. There couldn't be a more deserving winner.
verbal gymnastics

Yes there could :lol:

Congratulation John.

You do realise that the gig will now be cancelled :lol: :P
krm

Post by krm »

Thats the way to do it. Congratulation!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

So sorry Martin has got to stay in that night and that you've got a spare ticket (hint hint!!) :lol: :lol: :shock:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Martin isn't actually getting the spare ticket ; a mate who told me about the competition was glad to accept the offer. There's sure, however, to be more competitions. Indeed going by the way so many shows are, understandably, underselling here I'd even suggest that there will all kinds of giveaways more closer to the date.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just signed for the tickets I won for Elvis Costello in Dublin next May- yay!

A test booking for these seats shows this cost -

Section
BLOCKF Row12
Seats
152 - 153
Description
2FM / IRISH TIMES
TIERED SEATING
BLOCK F
PRICE LEVEL 1
Type
Full Price Ticket
Ticket Price
€64.95 x 2
Service Charge
€6.10 x 2
SUBTOTAL
€142.10
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wee ... 61673.html

The Irish Times - Saturday, December 31, 2011

25 things to look forward to in 2012

From James Joyce to the Wii U, there’s lots to look forward to. Here, in no particular order, is our critics’ choice

6 Elvis Costello and the Imposters

O2, Dublin

As befits someone with the nickname the Beloved Entertainer, Elvis Costello is bringing over from the US his acclaimed Revolver Tour. We get the reference to his Liverpudlian background, but this revolver has a twist, if not a twirl. The show, on May 9th, is the return of the Spinning Songbook, a vastly enjoyable concept Costello previously brought to the Olympia Theatre in Dublin in 1986. Audience members spin a wheel with song names instead of numbers. For all the risk you might imagine could be involved, with Costello’s estimable back catalogue to dig into, this is one safe bet.