If you were EC would you look at this site?

Pretty self-explanatory

Definitely
17%
Yes
40%
No
30%
No way
13%

Total votes: 30

bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

And would you give a nod to all your fans there?
krm

Re: If you were EC would you look at this site?

Post by krm »

I would have someone to do it for me!
jardine

Post by jardine »

Not sure. But I think the other question would be, what would WE do--or what might Elvis imagine that we would do-- if he did give such a nod? That might give a hint as to whether he would do it.

I know on the brianwilson.com board, b.w. has occasionally signed on with messages and answers to questions, but that board is well, sometimes rather fawning, and the b.w. threads are often flat and reverent.

So, if Elvis DID nod, what would you do?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

at the GREAT ryanadamsarchive.com site, he has been a semi-regular there on and off over the past few years and forged a solid relationship and was a valid contributor. i can see E acting similarly if he ever had time to peruse us here regularly.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I wouldn't be surprised if he did look - it must be interesting for him to see what people other than paid critics think of his work.

But I don't think he'd contribute - about ten years ago his website had a Q&A section, and he posted a statement that he wouldn't contribute any longer after too many aggressive comments. Message boards and comments under blogs do tend to attract horrible vitriol - it's easy to be abusive when you've got an anonymous name and you don't have to meet the person you're abusing face to face (as Elvis mentioned in 'No Hiding Place')

Nx
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Where is the "Who cares" option? I'd select that if it were available.
History History

Post by History History »

I am and I do.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Interesting question. I also wonder if, off the top of my head, Bruce Springsteen, U2, Arctic Monkeys etc do as well.

I think Elvis has a respect for his fans and he's always friendly tome when I meet him.

The question reminded me of when somebody offered him a copy/set(?) of Beyond Belief and he said along the lines of "no thanks - I live the life".

Personally I think that whilst he may not look at the site, there are certainly people within his set up who do.

I'd like to think he does though.

If you're reading this Elvis, give me a sign...
:lol:
..ed copy of the Super Deluxe set. After all, it's costing me about £250 to see you in Amsterdam.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

History History wrote:I am and I do.
Oh sh*t. I nearly choked on a celery stick after reading this. Scratch my previous comment above, just in case it's true.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

LOL to History History - LOL to Verbal's 'gimme a sign...ed copy'!
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

I would, it's good to know what die hard fans think, but not too much, that would be a bit too much like "ego cyber masturbation" and I would be careful about paying too much attention to what us lot ramble on about 'cos let's be honest, half the time we don't know what we're talking about. :lol:
migdd

Post by migdd »

The imposter wrote:I would be careful about paying too much attention to what us lot ramble on about 'cos let's be honest, half the time we don't know what we're talking about. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Bingo! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

The have been so many coincidences--I'm sure he is aware of the content of this site from time to time, but I'm also sure he never looks at himself. I imagine there is some poor unpaid intern at his management company who combs the internet for Elvis info and maybe Elvis eventually looks at a summery of the important bits...or something like that.

I don't think he wants to read the kind of stuff that is posted here. I feel he'd find it really invasive and probably infuriating. The nature of Elvis' music and persona attract fans like us--hardcore, obsessed, totally devoted, but the obsessive parsing of every move he makes, every note he sings...the setlists, the opinions...If you think about it, this site is nerdiness to the nth degree and it's kind of creepy, to say the least.

However, in the off chance that the content of this site actually reaches him, I'll dangle the following to see if it yields any results...

Elvis needs to get the "Frets & Struts" section of his website up and running without further delay! Enough already with this "coming soon" bullshit
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Jocko Wainwright

Post by Jocko Wainwright »

Not only would I look at the site, I would also track down that Jocko Wainwright lad and send him a free copy of the Spectacular Spinning Songbook release. Yep, that's what I would do.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

If he does, would he dare to respond to our pal Rachel's comments about Israel and Turkey? A little verbal gymnastics between the two of them, so to speak, would have been interesting.

On a related note, someone claiming to be Bruce Thomas recently posted something here. Only one post. Still not sure if it was really him.

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... php?t=8127

I stumbled across this interview which looking for something else entirely different (a site called "Five Average Elvis Costello Songs That Were Only Made Good By The Bassline" -- Believe it or not it actually exists! You can see whay it might appeal to me Anyway that is all by the by.

I read the posts at the bottom of my 1987 interview regarding the use of the phrase "monkey music" in reference to the Get Happy album.

Firstly, I did not make it up. It was said by Steve. I didn't invent it. However, it was never said and never taken by me, or repeated by me in any racist context whatsoever. I was in the habit of calling country music horse music or chicken-shit music. It was the attribution of animal qualities to a style of music -- not a disparaging remark about the ethnicity of the people that predominantly played it.

I hope you will accept this explanation in good faith and stop all this politically-correct speculation and cliched liberal hand wringing. If you weren't there, you don't know. I was -- and I do. I rearely break cover, as you know, but in this instance I felt it necessary.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Yeah, I was intrigued by that post - particularly as there had been so many discussions about the relative merits of Bruce v Davey. Would EC mind the site ? I think, as has been previously stated, some poor underling has to trawl through all this and decide that VG does deserve to receive the signed Return Of The SSS Deluxe set - and I can now reveal VG does live in Wylde Green !! :lol: :lol: (just in case it works )
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

Ypsilanti wrote: I imagine there is some poor unpaid intern at his management company who combs the internet for Elvis info and maybe Elvis eventually looks at a summery of the important bits...or something like that.
And if there isn't already, please let me be the poor unpaid intern. :D
The imposter wrote:I would, it's good to know what die hard fans think, but not too much, that would be a bit too much like "ego cyber masturbation" and I would be careful about paying too much attention to what us lot ramble on about 'cos let's be honest, half the time we don't know what we're talking about. :lol:
Half? Most of the times I would say. :p But that's what fans do, right? Specially hardcore ones. And, honestly, I thinks he's not interested in what we think about him or his music simply because I don't think he cares about what anyone thinks about him and his music.
jardine wrote:Not sure. But I think the other question would be, what would WE do--or what might Elvis imagine that we would do-- if he did give such a nod? (...)
So, if Elvis DID nod, what would you do?
Well, my undergraduate monograph, which I finished last year, was on fans, specially music fans and their behaviour in the internet and in front of their idol(s). So, according to what I observed, fans tend to be more restrained when the artist is near or may be watching in some way (in person or online). Or the opposite, in cases which the fans want to call the artist's attention, for example, Boy Band fangirls - you know all the screaming and stuff - which is not the case here. XD

So, at the same time that I like to think he reads and I do believe he follows our opinion in some way, I don't know if we really want this. I mean, would you guys say exactly the same things you say if you had the certain he reads everything here?

And to History History, I LOVE YOU! <3 <3 <3 - Just in case it's true... :roll: :lol:
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I only happened to mention here that he shd play the Anvil, Basingstoke, and he does so on his nxt two british tours. It's a sign, he is the messiah. They have brought forth juniper berries.
signed with love and vicious kisses
cwr

Post by cwr »

If I was Costello, I would've long ago figured out a way to use the Internet to balance the goals of A) doing what I want and B) pleasing my fan base. Obviously, for Costello, A has always been the driving force. But he also likes it when people respond enthusiastically to what he's doing.

I do feel like he checks this board from time to time. I genuinely doubt if it's an intern, I think he dips in every now and then, just out of curiosity. He's a curious fellow.
verbal gymnastics

so lacklustre wrote:They have brought forth juniper berries.
But it's a living and this is the life...
History History

[quote="docinwestchester" A little verbal gymnastics between the two of them, so to speak, would have been interesting.

A horrible picture image just flashed through my mind :lol: :lol: :lol:
History History

Natasha wrote:

And to History History, I LOVE YOU! <3 <3 <3 - Just in case it's true... :roll: :lol:
Why thank you, Natasha - I love you too - even though you look like Elsie :)
verbal gymnastics

History History wrote:[quote="docinwestchester" A little verbal gymnastics between the two of them, so to speak, would have been interesting.

A horrible picture image just flashed through my mind :lol: :lol: :lol:
*shudders*

:lol:
verbal gymnastics

On a more serious note, I hope Elvis looks at this site and sees the heartfelt tributes about his father.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

History History wrote:
Natasha wrote:

Why thank you, Natasha - I love you too - even though you look like Elsie :)
I know! Of course you love me - I can read it in your songs - but stop spreading this lie that I look like Elsie. :P
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM