Your LEAST favorite Elvis song and why

Pretty self-explanatory
when i was cruel

Your LEAST favorite Elvis song and why

Post by when i was cruel »

As well all know there are wayyyy more great ones that ones that "didn't reach their potential" but what one, for you sucks to listen to. Personally I can't stand 'Eisenhower Blues' it makes me just pissed to listen to and everything about it spews terrible garbage.
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
Ypsilanti

Re: Your LEAST favorite Elvis song and why

Post by Ypsilanti »

I have no problem with Eisenhower Blues, especially since it's a cover...I assume it came out of the recording session with Ray Brown...some obscure old song they were all drunkenly chatting about in the studio and the next thing you know, it's on the record. Probably a nice memory for Elvis which he wanted to preserve.

I also love all the ones everyone on this board hates...Alibi, Broken, etc.

But the songs I really can't stand--the ones that really suck for me and make me want to punch someone in the face are...

You'll Never Be A Man
Pretty Words
Luxembourg
White Knuckles
Shot With His Own Gun
Fish-N-Chip Paper
Black Sails In The Sunset
Twenty-Five To Twelve
Boy With A Problem

I know, Trust is everybody's 3rd favorite Elvis record--a pinnacle of artistic achievement--a pivotal record in the development of his career--a great memory of everybody's youth...blah, blah, blah. I'm some kind of idiot for not seeing the genius of it. Don't care. I've really tried, but I can't stand it. For me these songs are tedious and tiresome with an embarrassingly fat streak of narcissism running through them. Yuck.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Yps, I love You'll Never Be A Man. I always take it to be a character accusing him, Elvis, of not being man enough. I love the way he sees manhood as an exam you need to sit: "I don't wanna be first, I just want to pass." The melody, underpinned by Steve's amazing piano flourishes, is wonderful. I absolutely adore Black Sails, too - again, love the piano and the aching melody/vocal.

"Eisenhower" is probably my least fave Elvis track too, WIWC. I don't like traditional blues anyway, the vocal sounds really strained, and the screaming bits just don't come off at all. But I feel rotten being negative about Elv at this tough time in his personal life, so I hereby reiterate that he's got a pretty amazing track record (no pun intended). 80% superb, 19% honourable, interesting oddities, 1% duds.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Neil. wrote:Yps, I love You'll Never Be A Man. I always take it to be a character accusing him, Elvis, of not being man enough. I love the way he sees manhood as an exam you need to sit: "I don't wanna be first, I just want to pass." The melody, underpinned by Steve's amazing piano flourishes, is wonderful. I absolutely adore Black Sails, too - again, love the piano and the aching melody/vocal.

"Eisenhower" is probably my least fave Elvis track too, WIWC. I don't like traditional blues anyway, the vocal sounds really strained, and the screaming bits just don't come off at all. But I feel rotten being negative about Elv at this tough time in his personal life, so I hereby reiterate that he's got a pretty amazing track record (no pun intended). 80% superb, 19% honourable, interesting oddities, 1% duds.
OK, Neil...I'm willing to give songs I don't like another try...especially based on your recommendations because you have such a thoughtful approach to the music. I probably should have tempered my remarks, too---I tend to be pretty crabby in the early morning.

And you're right about Elvis' track record...he really gives us very little reason to complain.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
cwr

Post by cwr »

At least four of those Trust songs are among my favorite EC songs/recordings, period! To each his/her own...

Two songs I don't much care for are "The Long Division" and "International Echo." Both collaborations. I can't stand the production on TLD and feel like it's a song that is more late period Burt than prime Elvis. I can't help but think he agrees, as it's by far the least-played song from their album when EC did his post-PFM tour with Steve. He almost never played it.

"International Echo" I just never warmed to. I like the idea of it, but I have never enjoyed listening to it.

Other "least favorite" songs have grown on me with time, but these two never did.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

I can't think of any EC song I really HATE off the top of my head. There's a lot that are "not my favorite", but none that I really consider bad. I would need some time to think of something that I thought was my very least favorite. Probably something off Punch the Clock, but that's really because I don't like the horns. I am not sure anything off Almost Blue should count, because covers shouldn't count. Maybe something off of Goodbye Cruel World, but my feelings towards that album are more of indifference than hate. As I write this, I'm thinking its probably something off of North, but I have not listened to that one enough (cuz I don't like any of the songs other than Still much) to know which song off of it I like the least.
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

It's a tie between "A Town Called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing)" and "Return to Big Nothing" :)

Also, while I don't "hate" Tokyo Storm Warning, I find it very annoying for some reason.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Neil. wrote: "Eisenhower" is probably my least fave Elvis track too, WIWC. I don't like traditional blues anyway, the vocal sounds really strained, and the screaming bits just don't come off at all. But I feel rotten being negative about Elv at this tough time in his personal life, so I hereby reiterate that he's got a pretty amazing track record (no pun intended). 80% superb, 19% honourable, interesting oddities, 1% duds.

Some interesting math there given that Mr. Costello in his copious writings on all the Rhino reissues alone consistently identifies a track or two that even he feels fails to meet his own standards. Nice to know he has stricter critical standards when it comes to his own work. I am certain he would be in the camp that finds a greater percentage of misfires than 1% going from album to album.

I am with the previous poster who cites "Toykyo Storm Warning". It is a song that is all over the place musically and lyrically for me and which, ultimately, never takes me musically or lyrically anywhere I want to wind up. I avoid it everytime I play that record.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Neil. wrote:Yps, I love You'll Never Be A Man. I always take it to be a character accusing him, Elvis, of not being man enough. I love the way he sees manhood as an exam you need to sit: "I don't wanna be first, I just want to pass."
Small correction: "I don't wanna be first, I just want to LAST". A great play on words, as usual. And definitely not even close to my least favorite EC song.

For that I nominate Button My Lip. It's so out of place on that album, especially as the first track. Plus I don't really like EC's "noisy" songs (eg, National Ransom No. 5).
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

I can’t tell which song is my last favorite. Many of songs wasn’t for me at first listening...but it came with time. I was ready to pick up something from Secret, Profane and Sugarcane. But I heard it again today and it seems I’m starting to "grow up" to this thing :)
I also love all the ones everyone on this board hates...Alibi, Broken, etc.
like them too...a lot!
Plus I don't really like EC's "noisy" songs (eg, National Ransom No. 5).
Is there anybody who likes the "noisy" songs? I LOVE them!
"Everything Important I Learned In Life Was From Woody Allen."
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

For some reason, 'The Stamping Ground' is my least favourite EC composition. Just feels dirge-like and dull.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Yanyna wrote:
Plus I don't really like EC's "noisy" songs (eg, National Ransom No. 5).
Is there anybody who likes the "noisy" songs? I LOVE them!
So do I, especially Button My Lip. Great showoff track for the Imposters - all that on one chord!
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

Hawksmoor wrote:For some reason, 'The Stamping Ground' is my least favourite EC composition. Just feels dirge-like and dull.
Yeah, The Stamping Ground is pretty weak!! Good choice.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Maybe not on disc but live Radio Sweetheart and God's Comic fill me with dread. Could be the monologues which don't appear to have changed much but I cringe with the lines "if you've ever felt like dressing up in satin and lace ....."
when i was cruel

Post by when i was cruel »

Wait people hate Alibi ? Since when ? I love that track.
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

sulky lad wrote:Maybe not on disc but live Radio Sweetheart and God's Comic fill me with dread. Could be the monologues which don't appear to have changed much but I cringe with the lines "if you've ever felt like dressing up in satin and lace ....."
Hey! They're two of my favourite live tunes, especially Radio Sweetheart!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:
sulky lad wrote:Maybe not on disc but live Radio Sweetheart and God's Comic fill me with dread. Could be the monologues which don't appear to have changed much but I cringe with the lines "if you've ever felt like dressing up in satin and lace ....."
Hey! They're two of my favourite live tunes, especially Radio Sweetheart!
So.....do you have a least favorite song?
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Kind of tough to read these, especially "You'll Never Be a Man" and "Black Sails in the Sunset". Such lovely songs.

Three EC songs that I find a little annoying are "The Stamping Ground", "Turning the Town Red" and "Goody Two Shoes".
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

Ypsilanti wrote:You'll Never Be A Man
Pretty Words
Luxembourg
White Knuckles
Shot With His Own Gun
Fish-N-Chip Paper
Black Sails In The Sunset
Twenty-Five To Twelve
Boy With A Problem

I know, Trust is everybody's 3rd favorite Elvis record--a pinnacle of artistic achievement--a pivotal record in the development of his career--a great memory of everybody's youth...blah, blah, blah. I'm some kind of idiot for not seeing the genius of it. Don't care. I've really tried, but I can't stand it. For me these songs are tedious and tiresome with an embarrassingly fat streak of narcissism running through them. Yuck.
Those mid-era Attractions albums--I'm thinking Trust up through Goodbye Cruel World--have more than a few instances of Elvis only half- if not completely unsuccessfully trying to figure out how to make musical sense out of all those damn words. (A lesser man might include Get Happy in this cluster, too, but I'm nothing if not not a lesser man.) I like quite a few of the songs you've listed ("You'll Never Be a Man," "Shot With His Own Gun," "Black Sails"), but I can understand your misgivings about the others. I have similar reservations about a number of songs scattered across the back halves of Punch the Clock and Goodbye Cruel World, and even a couple on Imperial Bedroom (particularly when you factor in some of the bonus cuts), though those are salvaged by other things in the music and the general sonic character of the album. Particularly on the Clanger-Winstanley albums, there's a kind of cluttered meandering to the songwriting--overly verbose rambles in search of melodies, making the songs feel kind of sketchy and half-written (even though the problem is probably technically more that they're overwritten). I wouldn't rate them as egregious missteps or anything--none of it is truly grating or offensive. But it's lower-tier.

I'd have to go through the catalog to see which songs, if any, I really hate. Most every album has at least one song I skip over (some have significantly more, maybe four or five have none), but after a long enough time I forget if I'm skipping something because I actively despised it or because it just never left much of an impression. One thing off the top of my head is the Lucinda Williams duet off The Delivery Man, but that's more because I'm just not a fan of Lucinda's voice as opposed to any objection to the song itself. I'd go along with whoever said "Alibi," which is too repetitive for its length, and challenge whoever said "Tokyo Storm Warning," which despite its length I wish went on even longer.
KD's music blog
KD's book
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I would probably choose something off The Delivery Man (never liked that album) or one of the Andersen-opera songs from Secret, Profane & Sugarcane
But I love You’ll Never Be A Man.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

signed with love and vicious kisses
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

p.s. the video is a classic ofc
signed with love and vicious kisses
redsfan720

Post by redsfan720 »

To me, least favorite doesn't necessarily mean "bad" or any derivative of it.

That said, I just about always skip Five Gears in Reverse. Song just doesn't do it for me.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I know they are cover versions but I dislike 'Bama lama bama loo' and it's ilk.

Never been a lover of Luxembourg

And there are bits of the Delivery Man and SP&S that I wouldn't miss if I never heard them again.
The tuneless noise songs as someone else said. And I cant be bothered to look up the titles but the 3 songs before Sulphur to Sugarcane are so dreary and depressing. 'Sulphur' sounds like a masterpiece once they have finished
watercamp

Post by watercamp »

Tokyo Storm Warning is like Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues on acid, not sure that I ever heard all the words never mind memorized them!