Elvis plays Prague, Nov. 4, 2011

Pretty self-explanatory
Yanyna

Re: Elvis plays Prague, Nov. 4, 2011

Post by Yanyna »

Veronica (partial) and She in one video with not-so-good picture and sound http://youtu.be/7Xfyp9FX3R0
"Everything Important I Learned In Life Was From Woody Allen."
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Yanyna wrote:I’m so happy you like my thoughts about the show!

Now, after two days I have strange tiny details stuck in my head...how he walked in...cold blue lights...the dramatic pause in Stations of the Cross...the relaxed bossa-nova beat of All or Nothing at All...the moment when I saw return of young Elvis when he was playing Watching the Detectives after unliked She...his clenched fist at the end of Brother Can You Spare A Dime...the moment when he unplugged guitar...his real, soft and gentle voice (in the dark)...the way he asked if we are rushing somewhere...the moment when the reflection of his electric guitar hit me in the eyes when he was in the middle of I Want You...how he put down the guitar and left after I Want You...so cruel...and how he returned...the red light and strange and urgent sound of National Ransom...how the noise changed into the silence of Shipbuilding...the feeling during first tones of All these Strangers when I somehow realized that this is the last song...and his shiny shoes...and unshaved face...and silver belt buckle...and the moment how he has left...

I know he certainly makes every show so special...but first time you know...and suddenly I have a problem to call him just Elvis...now he is Mr.Costello to me :)

I had to share this...

and now back to normal life...welcome to the working week :)

Jana!!! i JUST got around to reading your review and this post here at this thread. are you kidding? you described the night beautifully. your joy comes right through in every word and detail that some of us who have seen too many shows, as is human nature, take for granted. it was a real pleasure to hear fully the happiness you felt with your FIRST show. i only hope a bootleg surfaces so you may relive the night (AND I CAN HEAR IT!!!) and i, for one, sure hope you get that full band show in 2012 to both A) KNOCK YOUR ROCK AND ROLL SOCKS OFF and B) so that we all here could again read what you have to say about the night. a pleasure to have you here...best, benny
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

bronxapostle wrote:
Yanyna wrote:I’m so happy you like my thoughts about the show!

Now, after two days I have strange tiny details stuck in my head...how he walked in...cold blue lights...the dramatic pause in Stations of the Cross...the relaxed bossa-nova beat of All or Nothing at All...the moment when I saw return of young Elvis when he was playing Watching the Detectives after unliked She...his clenched fist at the end of Brother Can You Spare A Dime...the moment when he unplugged guitar...his real, soft and gentle voice (in the dark)...the way he asked if we are rushing somewhere...the moment when the reflection of his electric guitar hit me in the eyes when he was in the middle of I Want You...how he put down the guitar and left after I Want You...so cruel...and how he returned...the red light and strange and urgent sound of National Ransom...how the noise changed into the silence of Shipbuilding...the feeling during first tones of All these Strangers when I somehow realized that this is the last song...and his shiny shoes...and unshaved face...and silver belt buckle...and the moment how he has left...

I know he certainly makes every show so special...but first time you know...and suddenly I have a problem to call him just Elvis...now he is Mr.Costello to me :)

I had to share this...

and now back to normal life...welcome to the working week :)

Jana!!! i JUST got around to reading your review and this post here at this thread. are you kidding? you described the night beautifully. your joy comes right through in every word and detail that some of us who have seen too many shows, as is human nature, take for granted. it was a real pleasure to hear fully the happiness you felt with your FIRST show. i only hope a bootleg surfaces so you may relive the night (AND I CAN HEAR IT!!!) and i, for one, sure hope you get that full band show in 2012 to both A) KNOCK YOUR ROCK AND ROLL SOCKS OFF and B) so that we all here could again read what you have to say about the night. a pleasure to have you here...best, benny
Yes--your review was lovely to read! :D Thanks so much & welcome!!! p.s. Also love your avatar! :D
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

damn...i still never learned how to get an avatar here...let me try!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

thanks for all the positive feedback...it made my day... :)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

We're just setting you up to knock you back down again...

I start off nicely with the new members and then just bully and harrass them :lol:

Genuinely though it's great to have someone going to a show that so many of us couldn't go to and reviewing it so well. We owe thanks to you.

Let's hope there's another show for you to report upon in the near future.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

there is possibility that this photo is from rehearsal in Prague

History History

Post by History History »

That photograph would make a lovely (back of) album cover, plenty of space for song titles etc..
History History

verbal gymnastics wrote:We're just setting you up to knock you back down again...

I start off nicely with the new members and then just bully and harrass them :lol:
...and there's me thinking we were true friends, VG..... I'll just have to cancel the Spinning Songbook box I was planning to get you. :lol:
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

That is a lovely suggestion- History. Makes me long for an LP cover to view- the expanse to the left would hold credits and album notes nicely and that photo is most evocative-one of only a handful lately of him that keep my eye's attention- the 'seasoned-pro' in his element and the scarf is the proper touch.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

I´ve found another one

History History

Thank you for the photographs Yanyna; as Christopher said, they are very evocative images of EC in concert.
verbal gymnastics

History History wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:We're just setting you up to knock you back down again...

...and there's me thinking we were true friends, VG..... I'll just have to cancel the Spinning Songbook box I was planning to get you. :lol:
I wasn't talking about you my great friend. Can I have my box set now? :lol:

Yanyna - great photos. Might look good as the front and back cover for a bootleg...
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

yay! can´t wait... :lol:
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Dig the photo. So, H2 (aka History History) if you are who you say you are the then give us a sign... Maybe a free rare track to download during these winter months while we wait for the wheel to spin again. Your fans would appreciate it. 8) (using the cheezeball emoticon here for good luck). HNY everyone.
verbal gymnastics

Yanyna wrote:

yay! can´t wait... :lol:
How dare you say that to me? Who do you think you are speaking to me like that? I am a legend on this board - do you hear me? A legend. You will show me respect in the future when and if I allow you to speak to me.

My lawyer will be in contact with you.

:lol:

Normal service will now be resumed :wink:
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
How dare you say that to me? Who do you think you are speaking to me like that? I am a legend on this board - do you hear me? A legend. You will show me respect in the future when and if I allow you to speak to me.

wow, that was better than I thought :D
History History

VG - Here is the box set you were asking for:
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =250802567

Enjoy!
verbal gymnastics

Yanyna wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:

wow, that was better than I thought :D
:lol: And to think, I've mellowed in my old age...
verbal gymnastics

History History wrote:VG - Here is the box set you were asking for:
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =250802567

Enjoy!
I wanted Spectacular, not Speggtacular!
History History

I'm sorry Verbal, but this edition does include a rare demo version of Mr Feathers. :roll:
verbal gymnastics

Given that the eggs are free range I take it it doesn't include Battered old bird...!
History History

verbal gymnastics wrote:Given that the eggs are free range I take it it doesn't include Battered old bird...!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review in Czech from iDnes.cz:

http://kultura.idnes.cz/elvis-costello- ... 0_hudba_ob

Elvis Costello udělal z Kongresového centra bezmála folkový klub

5. listopadu 2011 7:15

Premiérové vystoupení před českými diváky v pátek zažila jedna z nemnoha dlouholetých stálic světové populární hudby, jíž se dosud na svých koncertních sériích dařilo vyhýbat Česku. V největším sále pražského Kongresového centra vystoupil britský zpěvák a hudebník Elvis Costello.

Sedmapadesátiletý umělec vystoupil sám a publiku své písně ve více než dvouhodinové "one man show" představil v několika různých polohách. Koncert se sice uskutečnil ve velkém sále, vzhledem k až příliš malé účasti publika na to, jak slavné bylo jméno aktéra, však Costello navodil bezmála komorní atmosféru. Zpěvákovi v klobouku a jeho typických brýlích s tlustými černými obroučkami na scéně dělala společnost jen řada vyrovnaných kytar a velké koncertní křídlo, které však přišlo ke slovu až v závěru večera.

Costello mezi písničkami, při jejichž hraní se doprovázel na akustickou kytaru, s posluchači rozprávěl a chvílemi uvolněně žertoval. Lidé aplaudovali jeho písni Everyday I Write The Book stejně jako skladbě You've Got to Hide Your Love Away vypůjčené z repertoáru Beatles.

"Je mi ctí přivítat mého speciálního hosta," uvedl s úsměvem a ukázal na prázdnou židli na scéně, na níž si vzápětí sedl a zahrál blok klidnějších písní. Poté střídavě burácel a přecházel k téměř úplnému ztišení při skladbě In Another Room, kterou vystřídal veselým "rokenrolem jako z roku 1924".

Snad největší potlesk Costello sklidil, když na chvíli zavrhl mikrofon a pokoušel se z kraje pódia nahlas bez techniky zpívat i vzdálenějším řadám. Na dosud nečinné piáno došlo až více než po dvou hodinách koncertu, krátce před jeho závěrem v tklivé Almost Blue, než v hitu I Want You jedinkrát za večer zakvílela elektrická kytara. Poté neunavitelný Costello přidal ještě několik písní, jednu ve svérázné úpravě pro piáno, klávesy a megafon.

Costello dosud vydal přes 30 alb, mihnul se v desítce filmů a napsal knihu. Spolupracoval například s Paulem McCartneym, Tonym Bennettem, Brianem Enem a řadou dalších významných hudebníků. Nechybí mezi nimi ani přední kanadská jazzová klavíristka Diana Krallová, která je od roku 2003 jeho třetí manželkou a rovněž matkou jeho dvojčat.

První album My Aim Is True vydal v roce 1977, deska se směsí punku a nové vlny okořeněná cynickými texty je hodnocena jako jeden z nejlepších rockových debutů. Později se Costello stal průkopníkem nové vlny, experimentoval i s klasickou hudbou či soulem a jazzem.

and in English via Google Translate:

Elvis Costello did the convention center almost a folk club

5th November 2011 7:15

First appearance before the Czech audience on Friday experienced one of the few long-term fixed stars the world of popular music, which is still at its concert series managed to avoid the Czech Republic. The largest hall of the Prague Congress Centre stepped British singer and musician Elvis Costello.

Sedmapadesátiletý artist himself and the audience exited their songs in more than two hours of "one man show" staged in several different positions. Although the concert was held in the Great Hall, due to too little audience participation on how glorious was the name of an actor, but Costello induced almost intimate atmosphere. Singer in his typical hat and glasses with thick black frames on the scene by doing a series of balanced guitars and a grand piano, but come into play until the end of the evening.

Costello between songs, whose playing is accompanied by an acoustic guitar, the audience talked and joked a moment to relax. People applauded his song Everyday I Write The Book as well as the song You've Got to Hide Your Love Away borrowed from the repertoire of The Beatles.

"It is my honor to welcome my special guest," he said, smiling and pointing at the empty chair on the stage, on which he immediately sat down and played block the quieter songs. Then alternately roared and walked to almost complete silence when the song In Another Room, which was replaced by a cheerful "rock and roll as of 1924."

Perhaps the biggest applause Costello harvested when the moment has rejected a microphone and attempted to stage out of the region without singing techniques and distant ranges. The piano was still dormant until more than two hours after the concert, shortly before its conclusion in the plaintive Almost Blue, than hit I Want You once in the evening wailed electric guitar. After tireless Costello added a few more songs, one in idiosyncratic arrangements for piano, keyboard and megaphone.

Costello yet released over 30 albums, flashed in the top ten films and wrote a book . Collaborated with Paul McCartney, Tony Bennett, Brian Eno and many other prominent musicians. There was among them a leading Canadian jazz pianist Diana Krall that since 2003 his third wife and also the mother of his twins.

The first album My Aim Is True, was published in 1977 plate with a mixture of punk and new wave seasoned cynical lyrics is ranked as one of the best rock debuts. Later, Costello became the pioneer of a new wave experimented with classical music or jazz and soul.

MOOT