'The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook', Nov. '11

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Re: 'The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook', Nov.

Post by verbal gymnastics »

docinwestchester wrote:
jardine wrote:ha! even the price has disappeared from amazon.com

curiouser and curiosusuuuiouer
Does EC read this board?
Funny how strangerinthehouse put the price at $160-$200...
migdd wrote:With all the back and forth on this, I wonder if we will see a pre-Christmas release date for this set. The tracklist posted by theplatypus was a bit underwhelming. Remember, the video for this release was recorded very early in the tour, prior to the playing of deeper cuts from EC's catalog. Not sure that any release will really capture the the highlights of the tour. Curious to see how this all pans out.
This is pretty much how I felt when the Club Date DVD was issued and I posted along those lines at tge time.

The shows got better as the tour went on.

The price is now more realistic.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

sulky lad wrote:I'd like to announce that the super-deluxe live in Amsterdam audio bootleg about to be issued shortly after the 10th November and featuring VG in a tiger-skin loin cloth prancing around the streets of Amsterdam will be a extra super deluxe version with a cut away sleeve and pop-up features so you see VG in real 3 D and will retailing for about $500 dollars with the first purchased copy having a pair of John Foyle's 1972 NHS specs (as a counter signature to where early EC came from) and perhaps it'll be on dime for nothing too- damn must get myself a manager ! :oops:
Somehow I missed this post first time round.

Quality :lol: :lol: :lol:

No wonder you didn't want to share a room!!!
DodgyTC

Post by DodgyTC »

Now $251 at Amazon with this added bit of info:

Since the super deluxe Elvis Costello & the Imposters: The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook!!! is a limited edition set, a single CD, DVD, and double-disc version (CD/DVD) will be available next year.

Terry
verbal gymnastics

Ok TC!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

There are a few other new details in the Amazon description.
The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook!!! is a 3-disc (CD, DVD, 10" vinyl LP) live box set, recorded over a 2-night stand at The Wiltern in Los Angeles on May 11 and 12, 2011. Limited to 1500 copies worldwide, each set is individually numbered with a special commemoration card autographed by Elvis Costello. This super deluxe package includes a 40-page hardcover book packed with candid photos, a tour diary of Costello's musings from each tour stop, a 20" x 30" concert tour poster and a limited edition postcard.

The CD was recorded from both nights' performances at the Wiltern, shows which The Los Angeles Times called "the kind of uniquely invigorating experience that warrants a buzzword all its own: inspiring." The DVD is from Costello's show on May 12, 2011, and includes a special guest appearance by the Bangles, plus bonus footage including behind-the-scenes moments captured with the Imposters as well as extra performances not included in the main set of the show. The 10-inch vinyl record features four songs only available in this set.

All this is housed in a lavish box with a working spinning replica of "The Spectacular Spinning Songbook" on the front cover! Only 1500 copies were printed and autographed so don't miss out.

Since the super deluxe Elvis Costello & the Imposters: The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook!!! is a limited edition set, a single CD, DVD, and double-disc version (CD/DVD) will be available next year.
I assume the four songs on the 10-inch vinyl are the two listed on Amazon US ("Brilliant Mistake" and "Strict Time") and the two on Amazon UK ("Pump It Up (6/8)" and "Busted").
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

DodgyTC wrote:Now $251 at Amazon with this added bit of info:

Terry
It's interesting all the different prices listed across the web. Acoustic Sounds still has it for $170. Wonder how that will get resolved.

Glad that there will be stand alone releases, though the thought of hearing that Pump it up version and Busted on vinyl sounds enticing.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

I think the Acoustic Sounds kit is not the Super Deluxe one (only including CD, DVD and Vinyl).
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Amazon UK has a different disc 3 tracklist.

1. Pump It Up (6/8)
2. Busted SIDE B

No price or release date.
This item is no longer a US-import. Also the tracks on the vinyl have changed.
Does this mean that there also will be a European edition with PAL - DVD?
I hope so, because 251 $ for a DVD that I can't play, is far too much.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

The link to Amazon UK below now includes these details :

The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook
Elvis Costello (Artist) | Format: Audio CD
Price: £259.91 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions
Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.
This title will be released on November 21, 2011.
Pre-order now!
Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk. Gift-wrap available

I assume the price of £259.91 for an Audio CD is an error, although it is gratifying to note that the cover price includes postage.

Anyway if the £259.91 is for the full monte package and even includes cardboard cutout of a spinning wheel, I'm sorry but this is obscene. The reality for many of us is that our jobs are under threat, we've got zero pay rises,and have rampant inflation etc etc.

Sorry to come over all Billy Bragg, but if you're reading this Declan you should hang your head...

Colin Top Balcony
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

If it's too pricey for you, don't buy it. Or get it off iTunes.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Found this message in my Amazon cart today:

Please note that the price of The Return of the Spectacular Spinning Songbook [Super Deluxe Edition] [1 CD + 1 DVD + 10" Vinyl EP] has increased from $251.49 to $251.54 since you placed it in your Shopping Cart. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages.

It went up a nickel! WTF!!!! :lol:
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

migdd wrote:Found this message in my Amazon cart today:

Please note that the price of The Return of the Spectacular Spinning Songbook [Super Deluxe Edition] [1 CD + 1 DVD + 10" Vinyl EP] has increased from $251.49 to $251.54 since you placed it in your Shopping Cart. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages.

It went up a nickel! WTF!!!! :lol:
I anticipate an increase of 10 cents next. We are officially being nickel and dimed now.
verbal gymnastics

£260 is extortionate.

Is each country's version limited to 1500 copies or is it 1500 worldwide thereby meaning there will be a few hundred copies released in selected countries?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

"he stands to be insulted and he pays for the privilege"

Someone should design a spinning wheel app for this, for when we download it.
caliban10

Post by caliban10 »

verbal gymnastics wrote:£260 is extortionate.

Is each country's version limited to 1500 copies or is it 1500 worldwide thereby meaning there will be a few hundred copies released in selected countries?
Either way, it'll be selling for less than £100 on ebay in 6-9 months. Universal doesn't know anything about music buyers.
verbal gymnastics

Does the wheel come ready assembled? If not, who will assemble their wheel and make their set less valuable? Perhaps people will buy one set to play and one to keep.

It's all getting dramatic :lol:
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Dwon to just £204 in the uk. Still a month or two to go
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

There is now a press release. Notice the release date has been moved to December 6.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 23148.html

Elvis Costello & the Imposters: The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook!!! Limited Edition Box Set Released December 6

LIVE CD, DVD AND 10" VINYL EP + 40 PAGE BOOK AND MORE IN ONE OF A KIND BOX OF TRICKS
UNIVERSAL MUSIC ENTERPRISES ELVIS COSTELLO BOX SET Elvis Costello & the Imposters: The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook!!! Limited Edition Box Set Released December 6.

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 25, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- On December 6, 2011, Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) will release the 3-disc (CD, DVD, 10" vinyl EP) live box set, Elvis Costello & the Imposters: The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook!!! recorded over a 2-night stand at The Wiltern in Los Angeles on May 11 and 12, 2011. Limited to 1500 copies worldwide, each set is individually numbered with a special commemoration card personally signed by Elvis Costello.

The first disc is a CD recording culled from both nights' performances, shows which The Los Angeles Times said were "the kind of uniquely invigorating experience that warrants a buzzword all its own: inspiring."

The second disc is a DVD from Costello's show on May 12, 2011, including a special guest appearance by the Bangles. The DVD contains bonus footage including an alternate intro by Napoleon Dynamite (aka Elvis Costello), and behind-the-scenes moments captured with the Imposters—Steve Nieve, Davey Faragher and Pete Thomas—as well as extra performances not included in the main set of the show.

The third disc is a 10-inch vinyl EP with four songs only available in this set. The super deluxe package includes a 40-page hardcover book packed with candid and concert photos, a tour diary of Costello's musings from each tour stop, a 20" x 30" concert tour poster and a limited edition postcard. This collection is housed in a lavish box complete with a spinning replica of "The Spectacular Spinning Songbook" on the front cover.

"The Spectacular Spinning Songbook" made its first appearance in 1986 at the Beverly Theatre in Los Angeles during the "Costello Sings Again Tour." Earlier this year, Elvis Costello and the Imposters set out on The Revolver Tour and, for the first time in 25 years, Costello once again allowed his set-list to be chosen by "The Spectacular Spinning Songbook," a monumental game-show type wheel spun by select fans and featuring songs from his latest critically acclaimed release National Ransom, plus new renditions of hits, rarities and very unexpected covers. Expanded from its initial short run in the spring to encompass summer and fall dates, the tour was greeted by popular acclaim and rave notice across the country, with Rolling Stone reporting, "Costello worked the stage like a burlesque-club emcee, cracking wise at a mile a minute and spinning a dandy's walking stick."

Since the super deluxe Elvis Costello & the Imposters: The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook!!! is a limited edition set, a single and double-disc version will be available next year.

DISC ONE

THE MUSIC

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart of the City (Nick Lowe)
Mystery Dance
Radio Radio
Everyday I Write The Book
God Give Me Strength
Watching The Detectives
Tear Off Your Own Head (It's A Doll Revolution) featuring Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles
Out Of Time (Mick Jagger-Keith Richards)
I Want You
Stella Hurt
All Grown Up
Lipstick Vogue
Man out of Time
National Ransom
(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding

Recorded Live at THE WILTERN, Los Angeles, CA, May 11 & 12, 2011

DISC TWO

THE FILM

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart Of The City (Nick Lowe)
Mystery Dance
Radio Radio
Clubland
God Give Me Strength
Tear Off Your Own Head (It's A Doll Revolution) featuring Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles
Out Of Time (Mick Jagger-Keith Richards)
I Want You
Everyday I Write The Book
Stella Hurt
A Slow Drag With Josephine
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
Alison
Earthbound
(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love And Understanding

Bonus Tracks

Uncomplicated
Watching The Detectives
Monkey To Man

Filmed Live at THE WILTERN, Los Angeles, CA, May 12, 2011

DISC THREE (THE 10")

Side A:

Pump it Up (6/8)
Busted (Harlan Howard)

Side B:

Brilliant Mistake
Strict time
verbal gymnastics

It looks like Nick Lowe is still not credited for PLU :roll:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Amazon.co.uk has this setlist for the DVD:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Return-Spectacu ... disc_1Disc

1. Menu - Musical Bed "Radio Radio"
2. I Hope You're Happy Now
3. Heart Of The City
4. Mystery Dance
5. Radio Radio
6. Wheel Spin - "Spinning Wheel"
7. Clubland
8. Wheel Spin - "Charm School"
9. God Give Me Strength
10. Tear Off Your Own Head ( It's A Doll Revolution) - Elvis Costello, Susanna Hoffs, The Imposters
11. Out Of Time
12. Wheel Spin - "Spinning Wheel"
13. I Want You
14. Wheel Spin - "Temptation"
15. Everyday I Write The Book
16. Stella Hurt
17. A Slow Drag With Josephine
18. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
19. Alison
20. Wheel Spin - "Temptation"
21. Earthbound
22. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding
23. Special Features - Musical Bed "Mystery Dance"
24. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding
25. I Hope You're Happy Now
26. Wheel Spin - Musical Bed "Spinning Wheel"
27. Alison
28. Heart Of The City
29. Wheel Spin - Musical Bed "Spinning Wheel"
30. Mystery Dance
31. Clubland
32. Uncomplicated
33. Watching The Detectives
34. Monkey To Man
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

That's kind of a confusing setlist.
bil1cat

Post by bil1cat »

Amazon's price always seems to be different every day, it's like the price itself is on a wheel. I wonder if that's a inside joke with Elvis and Amazon? When will the madness end, and at what price. I wish the dvd was a Bluray.
verbal gymnastics

the_platypus wrote:That's kind of a confusing setlist.
And seemingly pointless unless you're buying the DVD and you're one of the spinners.
History History

Post by History History »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
the_platypus wrote:That's kind of a confusing setlist.
And seemingly pointless unless you're buying the DVD and you're one of the spinners.
Do you know which one in particular, VG?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXcFFNx0_g8&feature=fvst
:lol:
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

That is a great clip, History.