Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis/Imps play Portland, ME July 28 '11

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/main ... eatre.html

March 28 '11

Elvis Costello to play Portland

From staff reports

PORTLAND — British singer-songwriter Elvis Costello – whose 35-year career has included forays into punk, New Wave, and jazz standards – will perform at Portland’s State Theatre on July 28.

The 7:30 p.m. show – billed as Elvis Costello and The Imposters – was announced today on the theater’s website and Facebook page. Tickets are $45 and $75 and will go on sale 10 a.m. Friday.

Tickets will be available at the Cumberland County Civic Center box office by calling 800-745-3000, or online.

http://www.statetheatreportland.com/event/35945/

Costello, 56, burst onto the pop music scene with the album “My Aim Is True” in 1977, bolstered by the songs “Less Than Zero” and “Alison,” among others.

Costello was an instant favorite of college radio, indie rockers, and people who wanted to see rock music become more about songs and passion than the glamour and theatrics popular at that time.

He continued to record rock and pop into the 1980s, scoring the hit “Everyday I Write the Book” in 1983. By the 1990s he was dabbling in classical, in cover songs, in jazz, and did a collaboration with pop songwriting legend Burt Bacharach.

He’s married to jazz singer Diana Krall, and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003.
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis/Imps play Portland, ME July 28 '11

Post by Man out of Time »

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/03/29/l ... -portland/

"March 29, 2011

PORTLAND, Maine — Elvis Costello will pay a visit to Portland this summer.

The British singer-songwriter who launched his career as a punk rocker and New Wave artist and evolved over time to other musical styles will perform July 28 at the State Theater with his band, The Imposters.

Tickets will go on sale April 1 and cost $45 and $75. They will be available at the Cumberland County Civic Center box office, by phone at 800-745-3000 and online at statetheatreportland.com.

The Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Famer burst on the scene in the late 1970s. Over the years, his style has included such influences as country, classical music and jazz.

Some of his hits include “Alison,” “Pump It Up” and “Radio Radio.” Costello, who’s 56, is married to jazz singer Diana Krall."

Or if you prefer, scroll down the same web page to a comment posted on 29 March by Lynne14 who writes:

"Love Elvis Costello.His is a unique voice. The song "Alison" is likely a tribute of sorts to his wife, singer Allison Kraus. Great he is coming to Portland"

Don't you just love the internet?

MOOT
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Man out of Time wrote: "Love Elvis Costello.His is a unique voice. The song "Alison" is likely a tribute of sorts to his wife, singer Allison Kraus. Great he is coming to Portland"

Don't you just love the internet?

MOOT
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone here going?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

"The Spell That You Cast" is new to the wheel, but it has been played on the tour.

http://twitpic.com/5xcvez/full
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Tweets
Favorites
Following
Followers
Lists

speeb Joshua Lovejoy
Here you go. http://twitpic.com/5xfptp
28 minutes ago

speeb Joshua Lovejoy
And now Alison into Tracks of My Tears. #coolestdudeever
37 minutes ago

speeb Joshua Lovejoy
PROOF: Elvis Costello just finished the main set with Purple Rain.
46 minutes ago

speeb Joshua Lovejoy
@
@zhandlen That is a bummer.
56 minutes ago

speeb Joshua Lovejoy
@
@zhandlen Are you here?
1 hour ago
»

speeb Joshua Lovejoy
Elvis Costello: coolest dude on earth.
1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply

speeb Joshua Lovejoy
@
@TrentTZA Sweet!
3 hours ago

speeb Joshua Lovejoy
@
@TrentTZA Are you coming to the show?
3 hours ago

speeb Joshua Lovejoy
@
@TrentTZA Yessir! Me and Solak are running this shit.
3 hours ago

speeb Joshua Lovejoy
What's up, Elvis? http://twitpic.com/5xcvez
4 hours ago

HOW DO YOU POST THOSE TWEETS ANCT??? :lol:
And No Coffee Table

A spinning song wheel, gogo dancers, a mock engagement, an interpretive dance group and 2 1/2 hours of music = Great Elvis Costello show.
The dance group:

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i'm telling you...this gets more like FRANK ZAPPA daily!!!
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:i'm telling you...this gets more like FRANK ZAPPA daily!!!
"I might be movin' to Maine soon..."
And No Coffee Table

Review: Elvis Costello still pleases fans from Maine

By Aimsel Ponti aponti@mainetoday.com

It's been four years since Elvis Costello played in Portland, but that doesn't mean he's not a red hot artist as far as his fans go.

His ability to pack the house was proven when his State Theatre show sold out in less than an hour -- and that was with tickets ranging from $40 to $70.

Since his 1977 debut record "My Aim is True," Costello, ne Declan MacManus, has earned legendary status with a sound that's gone from new wave to pop with lots of twists and turns along the way; including collaborations with Burt Bacharach and T Bone Burnett among others. At present, he's touring with his backing trio, The Imposters: bassist Davey Farager, keys player Steve Nieve and drummer Pete Thomas.

This brings us to Thursday night's show, a stop on his Revolver Tour. I use the word show rather than concert because it truly was just that -- a show and a very engaging one at that. I would, however, be remiss if I didn't point out the one downer of the evening was the sound. In two words: too loud. It was next to impossible to make out most of the lyrics and considering what a brilliant songwriter Costello is, that was too bad.

But setting that aside, everything else was sensational.

On the right hand side of the stage stood the 12-foot "Spinning Songbook," which Costello hasn't brought on tour since 1986. It's a multicolored game show looking wheel and each spot on it has a different song title. Throughout the evening several audience members were invited by Costello to spin the wheel and hear their song, or in some cases two.

But the fun didn't end there, the wheel spinners also spent time dancing in the go-go dancer birdcage, that is when the fishnet stocking clad go-go dancer wasn't in it. Or they sat on stage in the "Society Lounge" sipping beverages. Suffice to say, the term audience participation was taken to a whole other level.

As for songs, Costello covered the bases and between his own picks and the Spinning Songbook ones, many hits and deep album cuts were included. "Lipstick Vogue" from 1978's "This Year's Model" started the show off right with Costello strutting on stage wearing a straw fedora and a three-piece glen plaid suit. "Watching the Detectives" came next, much to the audience's delight and that's when Costello started his shenanigans and brought the first fan on stage, a woman named Margo Drayer from Old Orchard Beach, whom I was able to catch after the show out on Congress Street.

I asked her what it was like being brought on stage. "I've never done anything like that before. It was the most exciting concert I've ever been to and he really engaged the audience."

Drayer can personally attest to that, and on her birthday no less.

Coincidentally, I asked another fan celebrating a birthday, Michael Gelsanliter from Portland, what he thought of the show. "It was excellent. He played a lot of the songs I listened to while in college."

As for his band The Imposters, all three of them were terrific.

Meghan Costello from Damariscotta said she was thoroughly impressed with the show and the surroundings, saying "It was great to be back at the State." Sebastian Meade of Freeport had a heck of a time as well: "It was fantastic, a two hour energetic blast."

Sure, it would have been even better if the sound hadn't been a bit off, but other than that I take my hat off to Elvis Costello and his band. From where I sat the crowd of mostly 40 and 50 somethings had a blast and so did Elvis.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

WOW!!!

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Portland, Maine
July 28th, 2011

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine

Lipstick Vogue
Watching The Detectives
The Spectacular Spinning Songbook
Clubland - SPIN 1
Riot Act - SPIN 2
I Want You - SPIN 3
Bedlam - IMPROMPTU - featuring the Blue Moon Spontaneous Dance Ensemble and Drummers
"Time" Jackpot - SPIN 4
Clowntime Is Over
Strict Time
Out Of Time
The Hammer Of Songs
Chelsea - "Songs Of Sneer"
Less Than Zero - "Songs Of Sneer"
Everyday I Write The Book - "Ladies Excuse Me"
"Joanna" Jackpot - NAPOLEON'S SPIN
Talking In The Dark
Cry Cry Cry - Johnny Cash - IMPROMPTU
"Happy" Jackpot - SPIN 5
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
High Fidelity
"I Can Sing A Rainbow" Jackpot - SPIN 6
Greenshirt - featuring Tennessee Thomas on Floor-Tom Drum
Red Shoes
Purple Rain
Interlude
A Slow Drag With Josephine
Alison - IMPROMPTU
Payday - IMPROMPTU
His Latest Flame - IMPROMPTU
The Spectacular Spinning Songbook
The Spell That You Cast - SPIN 7
Promised Land - Chuck Berry - IMPROMPTU
Pump It Up - IMPROMPTU
Peace, Love And Understanding - SPIN 8
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Holy Shit. Tennessee Thomas, Riot Act and The Spell That You Cast all in one night.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

don't omit CRY CRY CRY and THE PROMISED LAND: two first timers???? nah, he probably did CRY before!
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

This video is amusing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5tB6xAomPs

The band are playing Peace, Love And Understanding, but once EC gets his guitar plugged in he starts playing Pump It Up.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

EarlManchester wrote:This video is amusing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5tB6xAomPs

The band are playing Peace, Love And Understanding, but once EC gets his guitar plugged in he starts playing Pump It Up.
Brilliant clip. EC giving his fans one more song than planned.
docinwestchester

EarlManchester wrote:This video is amusing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5tB6xAomPs

Looks like he got caught in a downpour. Is that really sweat? If so, he's approaching Springsteen territory here.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

doc...you got time to write this, but NOT to tell the good people how much better SONY did than ZOOM this past Monday as we sat together for the great night? i hope its cos you're busy uploading! :lol: :lol: :lol:
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:doc...you got time to write this, but NOT to tell the good people how much better SONY did than ZOOM this past Monday as we sat together for the great night? i hope its cos you're busy uploading! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Still at work, ba.

It sounds good, no doubt, and should be uploaded tonight.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

is it my imagination...or do you hear his vocals and general mix way better than in person monday?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Has anyone please e.g. an mp3 of 'The promised land' to share? Can't find it yet on e.g. YouTube. Thanks.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.