Nick Lowe covers "Poisoned Rose" on upcoming album

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Nick Lowe covers "Poisoned Rose" on upcoming album

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://shorefire.com/index.php?a=pressrelease&o=5024
Nick Lowe's First New Album In Over Four Years 'The Old Magic,' Set For Sept 13 Release On Yep Roc

Watch Lowe Perform New Song For NPR's Tiny Desk Concert Series Here: http://bit.ly/m0ehY7

"I'm sixty-one years old now, Lord I never thought I'd see 30," Nick Lowe sings on "Checkout Time," a song from his first new studio album in over four years, 'The Old Magic,' set for September 13 release on Yep Roc.

The line cuts right to the quick. For though he spent his 20s "busy not fitting into three successive movements: pub rock, punk and new wave" (NY Times), Lowe has mined fertile new creative ground in recent years and the eleven tracks on 'The Old Magic' dig deeper still. As NPR observes, "Few musicians get better with age. Nick Lowe is an exception."

'The Old Magic' was recorded in London with Lowe's crack backing band anchored by Geraint Watkins (keyboards), Steve Donnelly (guitar), and Robert Treherne (a.k.a. Bobby Irwin, drums). Additional musicians include Ron Sexsmith, Paul Carrack, and Jimmie Vaughan among others. The album was co-produced by Lowe, Neil Brockbank, and Treherne.

Amidst urbanely insistent grooves ("Sensitive Man"), and spare-yet-imposing shuffles (the afore mentioned "Checkout Time"), 'The Old Magic' features three exceptional, recently road-tested Lowe ballads - album opener "Stoplight Roses," "House for Sale" and "I Read A Lot." Then there's "Restless Feeling," a shimmering dance tune worthy of the roller rink that Lowe wrote for a fictional band he calls Coastline. As is his custom, Lowe also peppers 'The Old Magic' with three covers - by Elvis Costello, Tom T. Hall and Jeff West - that fit seamlessly with his originals.

Nick Lowe's last album, 2007's 'At My Age,' was hailed as "utterly fantastic" by the Village Voice and tallied his best single-week sales of the Soundscan era. Since then, Yep Roc has reissued Lowe's long-unavailable first two albums 'Jesus of Cool' and 'Labour of Lust,' to great acclaim. In 2009, Lowe gave his first headlining performance at the Royal Albert Hall. Later this month he will play the Meltdown and Glastonbury festivals in the UK, with autumn U.S. tour dates to be announced soon.
Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emotional Toothpaste

Re: New Nick Lowe album includes Elvis cover

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Yes!! Looking forward to a new Nick album and US tour!! Saw him in Boston last fall and loved every minute of it.
History History

Re: New Nick Lowe album includes Elvis cover

Post by History History »

Amazon lists Elvis's The Poisoned Rose on NL's new album.
Otis Westinghouse

Re: Nick Lowe covers "Poisoned Rose" on upcoming album

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

The original came up on my iPod shuffle today. Delicious.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Any new music from Nick Lowe is great news. His last album - often viewed as just more of the same strong work - was actually among his very best, arguably a cut above the admirable 'Brentford Trilogy.' I hope that as EC progresses as Elder Statesman he can arrive at the calm, understated and unforced deftness of Lowe. NR is promising in this respect.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Could not agree more with that assessment. EC and many older artists would do well to model their aging careers on Mr. Lowe's. It is wonderful to see how comfortable he is in his own musical skin and that he is seemingly at peace with where his career is these days. That last album was a 'seasoned' offering and very much done with a "calm, understated and unforced deftness" and it is rightly noted that NR approached that state as well. One of the treats from earlier this year was the remastered release of his second album. I look forward to September and the release of this new record. As an aside, the American artist I see closest to this state is Neil Young. He too is growing gracefully into his historical skin. Eagerly anticipate the 6/14 release from his archives of "A Treasure" from his 1985 tour.

One last aside- still feel a most enjoyable tour would be an expansion of the one off show Nick and EC did late last year- trading off on each other's material. Have to assume those tickets would be consumed quickly from city to city if such a road show was undertaken.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:Could not agree more with that assessment. EC and many older artists would do well to model their aging careers on Mr. Lowe's. It is wonderful to see how comfortable he is in his own musical skin and that he is seemingly at peace with where his career is these days. That last album was a 'seasoned' offering and very much done with a "calm, understated and unforced deftness" and it is rightly noted that NR approached that state as well. One of the treats from earlier this year was the remastered release of his second album. I look forward to September and the release of this new record. As an aside, the American artist I see closest to this state is Neil Young. He too is growing gracefully into his historical skin. Eagerly anticipate the 6/14 release from his archives of "A Treasure" from his 1985 tour.

One last aside- still feel a most enjoyable tour would be an expansion of the one off show Nick and EC did late last year- trading off on each other's material. Have to assume those tickets would be consumed quickly from city to city if such a road show was undertaken.
Man, that is a brilliant idea. I'd pay top dollar for that and, I have no doubt, absolutely love every minute. Good call, Chris!
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
bobfrombob

Post by bobfrombob »

Wilco has just announced some initial dates promoting their upcoming album "The Whole Love". Nick Lowe is opening all dates.

September 13 Murat Theatre Indianapolis, IN
September 16 Massey Hall Toronto, ONT
September 17 Massey Hall Toronto, ONT
September 18 Metropolis Montreal, QC
September 20 Wang Theatre Boston, MA
September 22 Central Park Summerstage New York, NY
September 25 Merriweather Post Pavilion Columbia, MD
September 27 Raleigh Amphitheater Raleigh, NC
September 28 Cobb Energy Performing Arts Ctr Atlanta, GA
September 29 Cobb Energy Performing Arts Ctr Atlanta, GA
October 1 The Ryman Nashville, TN
October 2 The Ryman Nashville, TN
October 4 Peabody Opera House St. Louis, MO
October 5 Overture Hall Madison, WI
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Nick and Wilco. Thats great news! Though I feel Wilco should open for Nick.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

September 22nd and summer stage- great- do not have to see them just sit on a hill outside in the park- I will be there!
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

At the Solid Sound Festival on June 25 in North Adams, Massachusetts, Wilco opened their set with a cover of Nick's "I Love My Label"
bobfrombob

Post by bobfrombob »

EarlManchester wrote:At the Solid Sound Festival on June 25 in North Adams, Massachusetts, Wilco opened their set with a cover of Nick's "I Love My Label"
It's the B side of their new single. On their new label.
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

Emotional Toothpaste wrote:Nick and Wilco. Thats great news! Though I feel Wilco should open for Nick.
Agree, or at least a double header tour. In any case, I'm excited for the new Nick Lowe album.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Mr. Lowe contributes a great version of 'Changing All These Changes' to the newly released 'Rave On Buddy Holly' tribute album, which also features tracks by Paul McCartney, Cee Lo Green, Lou Reed, Florence + The Machine, My Morning Jacket and Kid Rock.
bobfrombob

Post by bobfrombob »

Nice Tiny Desk concert from NPR:

http://yeproc.com/news.php?articleId=7398
blureu

Post by blureu »

Can we sample Changing All These Changes online?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Fun cover:

EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

I wonder what percentage of album reviewers or editors will manage to avoid quoting the album title in the headline of their review?
docinwestchester wrote: Image
Nick Lowe Recaptures That Old Magic On Latest Album
By Reginald Buttkiss

The Old Magic Is Missing On New Nick Lowe album.
By Simon Penswallow
blureu

Post by blureu »

Cover from first single of new LP:

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Hear the new song "Checkout Time" here: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20110706
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The 2011 Meltdown concert is available on Dime. Nick sings a lot of new songs!
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=366342
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Nicks first recordings have been re-issued-

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/rpm/artists/ ... p#retro899

And this treat is on the way -

http://eagle-rock.com/product/EAGCD452/ ... treux+1980

Rockpile: Live At Montreux 1980

Catalogue No: EAGCD452
by Rockpile
Barcode: 5034504145221

CD | Release: 22/08/2011

Rockpile was formed in the mid-seventies by Nick Lowe and Dave Edmunds. Due to contractual obligations, Lowe and Edmunds had to record for different labels so the Rockpile name was only used when the band played live even though they performed on records by both artists. Playing at Montreux in July 1980, the band were at their peak following the simultaneous release in 1979 of Nick Lowe’s “Labour Of Lust” and Dave Edmunds’ “Repeat When Necessary”. They had enjoyed a string of hit singles, most of which are included here, and were surfing on a tide of critical acclaim. Ahead of them lay the prospect of finally releasing an album under the Rockpile name, “Seconds Of Pleasure”, which would appear in autumn the same year. Sadly it proved to be the only album ever released as Rockpile as the band broke up soon after but here at Montreux they are in fantastic form and this CD enhances their reputation as one of the best live bands of their era.

1. Sweet Little Lisa
2. So It Goes
3. I Knew the Bride
4. Queens of Hearts
5. Switchboard Susan
6. Trouble Boys
7. Teacher Teacher
8. Girls Talk
9. 3 Time Loser
10. You Ain't Nothin' But Fine
11. Crawling From The Wreckage
12. Let it Rock
13. I Hear You Knocking
14. They Called It Rock
15. Ju Ju Man
16. Let's Talk About Us
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

blureu

Post by blureu »