Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

'Sparkling Day' by Elvis

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.sonicscoop.com/2011/04/14/av ... rta-flack/

April 14, 2011

by David Weiss

(extract)

The rooms at Avatar Studios have been crowded this past month, with projects for everyone from global artists to talk show royalty. Top producers and engineers have been in on many of the sessions as well.

Studio A, with its legendary 2,496 sq. ft. live room, accommodated a duet by Tony Bennett and Sheryl Crow, produced by Phil Ramone, engineered by Dae Bennett, and assisted by Fernando Lodeiro. Elvis Costello was also in A, recording a song for an upcoming film with engineer Kevin Killen, assisted by Fernando Lodeiro.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis 'recording a song for an upcoming film', NY, March

Post by johnfoyle »

Looks like this is the track Elvis was recording in NY in March ; David Nicholls’ book is a good read, really evoking the period. Avoid summaries of it or the movie - there's a twist that'll really get you. I read it in one go on a overnight flight and was floored by it.

http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sect ... 045307&c=1

Universal scores with film syncs

Monday May 23, 2011

Universal Music Publishing has scored a string of high profile film syncs with a number of bespoke compositions from Elvis Costello, Basement Jaxx and Mumford & Sons debuting on the big screen this year.

Sparkling Day by Costello leads the soundtrack for One Day, a film adaptation of David Nicholls’ best-selling book.
The Mumford & Sons track Enemy has been recorded for the end-title of a remake of Wuthering Heights.

Basement Jaxx’s film-composing debut alongside composer Steve Price has seen the pair create the score to Attack The Block, a comedy about aliens invading a London council estate.

Although Costello is well versed in appearing on film soundtracks, UMPG senior creative services manager Becca Gatrell said it was an area which he took seriously because it allowed for a fresh creative outlet for his work.

“There’s this false assumption amongst some music supervisors that household names would not be interested or have time to create new, bespoke compositions for films and this could not be further from the truth,” she stressed. Instead she said the creative services department was in weekly contact with artists on its roster in order to assess how busy a particular act was and the kind of projects they were interested in taking part in, so the publisher could be selective in what films it pitched to each act.

“With Elvis Costello, for example, he hadn’t read the book which the film is based on but we knew it would be a subject he would like and want to be part of. He then saw the film and understood precisely what we meant,” she explained.

Mumford & Sons manager Adam Tudhope added the band became involved in writing for Wuthering Heights after director Andrea Arnold saw the group perform earlier this year. “The band saw the film and came out from the screening room very inspired. Two days later they had two songs which Andrea loved equally. It was a brilliant creative experience for everyone involved.”

Gatrell said writing for film was an essential part of an artist’s arsenal to develop.

“Pitching music for films is quite different from pitching music for adverts as not only are you working with a client over a far longer period of time but there is the opportunity to become inspired and write new music for films in a way that very rarely happens for commercials,” she added, noting appearing in films also helped to give an artist a platform to a different audience.

“All writers love the idea of writing music for a film so we consider a very important area of their career to nurture. It’s all about putting our writers together with the right film makers at the right point in their careers. That’s what we hope to achieve.”

*charlotte@musicweek.com

One Day (2011)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1563738/

Release dates for

One Day (2011)

USA 19 August 2011
UK 26 August 2011

http://focusfeatures.com/one_day
Neil.

Re: 'Sparkling Day' by Elvis on soundtrack for 'One Day' Aug

Post by Neil. »

Wow, if they keep this song in the film and feature it in a prominent place, it could be the song that does it for him at last - the late career hit I've been dreaming of for him. The book is a smash hit in Britain, and is likely to do well. I've got everything crossed for our man! Also - could this be the Oscar song I also want for him? Pleeeease let it be!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Or they could release it at a time when interest in the song has waned, like they did with Notting Hill :roll:

Funnily enough Mrs VG received this book for her birthday. David Nicholls also wrote the excellent Starter for Ten.

Is this a cover version because if it isn't then I don't share Neil.'s optimism.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Actually, I've just watched the trailer and Anne Hathaway's British accent does sound a little ropey, unlike Gwyneth Paltrow and Renee Beefburger's impeccable Brit brogues. Aw, well, I hope this doesn't spoil our Elvis's chances to have a hit.
Last edited by Neil. on Mon May 23, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Blog reaction -

http://www.wordandfilm.com/2011/05/elvi ... oundtrack/

This song kind of explains why Elvis' schedule for August and September remains so empty. 'Sparkling Day' getting highlighted so early indicates it will be the films lead song, unlike 'Notting Hill' where some Ronan Keating dross was the chief tie-in. Expect, then, that Elvis will be doing the chat show circuit, film premieres etc.. If it becomes a 'hit single' , or whatever approximates to that these days , U.K. dates in Sept./Oct. may start getting announced. It may even help sell his show in Sligo on Oct. 29th - it still has to shift all of its c. 1200 seats.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

The next installment of Batman will be filming here in Pgh. Ms. Hathaway is playing Catwoman. If I happen to run into her I will ask her about this movie
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I've just seen the latest trailer online, and the final slide at the end of it says "One Day... featuring new music by Elvis Costello" - that latter phrase having a card all its own. Blimey, do you think the film's incidental music is also by Elvis?

Great that the filmmakers and marketers think so hightly of our hero. My only worry is that the trailer makes the film look so, so bad, that he might have attached himself to a turkey. I really hope not - we'll wait and see!

Nx
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://focusfeatures.com/article/twenty ... eep_of_one
Elvis Costello, the iconic singer/songwriter whose artistry has resonated for decades, saw an early cut of the movie. Costello was so affected by the picture that he conceived an original song to be heard on the soundtrack; “Sparkling Day,” for which he wrote the words and composed the music, is performed by the artist with his band the Imposters. “It’s a very beautiful song,” marvels Scherfig.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The official website announces this: http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/elv ... ne-day/182
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/06 ... html?ir=UK

Win Tickets To The UK Premiere Of One Day, Starring Anne Hathaway And Jim Sturgess

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810197449/video/25911716
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I'm absolutely gasping to hear this song. Has anyone heard it live, or anything? Anyone have any idea what it's like?
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Neil. wrote:Wow, if they keep this song in the film and feature it in a prominent place, it could be the song that does it for him at last - the late career hit I've been dreaming of for him. The book is a smash hit in Britain, and is likely to do well. I've got everything crossed for our man! Also - could this be the Oscar song I also want for him? Pleeeease let it be!

Unlikely to be a uk hit unless it has Chipmunk/Tinie Tempah/ Tinchy Strider/Pitbull on it. I know I sound like an old git but Jeez the UK sinlges chart just seems to have the same 6 or 7 artists covering the whole top 40.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I'm not thinking so much chart success, as the singles charts are a strange thing these days, but of a song having a lot of airplay on stations like Radio 2, Capital, Magic etc - I don't expect Elvis to achieve singles sales these days, but I do hope that the song gets out there into the national (or international?) consciousness, via airplay, thereby introducing a lot of other people to Elvis who might not have known him before.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

My answer was a bit tongue in cheek mate, the singles chart doesnt really exists I suppose as you can bearly find a record shop here now let alone a single. God I sound like a dinosaur but I still prefer going to a shop and buying a physical product.

Agreed it would be nice to see Elvis get good exposure on the radio for a change. It must be a long time since he even had a radio hit over here. 'She' must have been the last one I suppose and 'The Other Side Of Summer' or 'Sulky Girl' before that.
I'm with you I can't wait to hear this
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

With less than a month to go before the film opens, I'm amazed it hasn't turned up somewhere yet. Agh, I'm probably too excited and will be sorely disappointed. Anyway, we'll see how it goes.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis has two tracks on the soundtrack -

Sparkling Day

Master courtesy of the Super-Lycanthropic Process - Another Lupetone Recording

Nice!

http://www.film4.com/minisite/one-day/f ... ck-listing

Soundtrack tracklisting for One Day

Talkin’ ‘Bout A Revolution

Words and Music by Tracy Chapman
Performed by Tracy Chapman
Licensed Courtesy of Warner Music UK Limited

Sowing The Seeds Of Love

Written by Roland Orzabal/Curt Smith
Performed by Tears For Fears
Courtesy of Mercury Records Limited (United Kingdom)
Under license from Universal Music Operations Ltd.

Cielito Lindo

Written by Quirino Fidel Mendoza Cortes
Performed by Dante Concha, Paco Palomino, Chano Puente de la Vega, Fernando Toro

Born Of Frustration

Written by Booth/Glennie/Gott
Performed by James
Courtesy of Mercury Records Limited (United Kingdom)

Joy

Written by Feldman/Durbet
Performed by François Feldman
Courtesy of Universal Music Division Mercury (France)

Rhythm Of The Night

Written by Bontempi, Francesco/Gordon, Annerley/Spagna, Giorgio/
Glenister, Peter W./Gaffey, Michael
Performed by Corona
Licensed Courtesy of Warner Music UK Limited and Extravaganza Publishing Srl.

Rocks

Written by Bobby Gillespie, Neil Innes, Robert Young
Performed by Primal Scream
Courtesy of Sony Music Entertainment UK Ltd. and Warner Bros. Records
By Arrangement with Warner Music Group Film & TV Licensing

Roll To Me

Written by J. Currie
Performed by Del Amitri
Courtesy of Mercury/A&M (United Kingdom)

Step It Up

Words and Music by Robert Birch and Nicholas Edward James Hallam
Performed by Stereo MCs
Courtesy of Universal-Island Records Ltd.

Reverend Black Grape

Written by Ryder/Bendelow/Birtwistle/Mittler/Wright
Performed by Black Grape
Courtesy of MCA Records Inc.

The Gift

Written by Joseph Wisternoff/Nicholas Warren/Ewan MacColl/
Jason Greenhaigh/Paul Smith
Performed by Way Out West
Courtesy of Sony Music Entertainment UK Ltd.

Aftermath

Written by Thaws
Performed by Tricky
Courtesy of Universal-Island Records Ltd.

Praise You

Written by Camille Yarbrough and Norman Cook
Performed by Fatboy Slim
Licensed courtesy of Skint Records

Life is a Rollercoaster

Written by Greg Alexander and Rick Nowels
Performed by Ronan Keating
Courtesy of Polydor UK Ltd.

Angels

Words and music by Robert Williams and Guy Chambers
Performed by Jodie Whittaker

Tear Off Your Own Head (It’s a Doll Revolution)

Written by Elvis Costello
Performed by Elvis Costello
Courtesy of Island Def Jam (United States)

Don’t Stop Movin’

Written by Barrett, Cattermol, Lee, McIntosh, O'Meara, Spearritt, Stevens,
Ellis & Soloman
Performed by S Club 7
Courtesy of Polydor Ltd. (United Kingdom)

Le Lien SNCF

Written by Michaël Boumendil
Courtesy of Sixième Son
With kind authorization of SNCF and Sixième Son

Sparkling Day

Words and Music by Elvis Costello
Performed by Elvis Costello and the Imposters
Master courtesy of the Super-Lycanthropic Process - Another Lupetone Recording

This blog may be source for a early listen to the song -

http://dexterandemma.tumblr.com/

This is a tumblelog dedicated to the amazing book and fourth- coming film 'One Day',
written by David Nicholls and directed by Lone Scherfig. Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess star as Emma and Dexter respectively. There may be possible spoilers for people who haven't read the book yet (nothing too extreme though).
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I hope this'll be available as a download so that I don't have to buy the whole CD.

Soooo excited about this song, now. A stand-alone single, in a way - not something you get much of these days. It's like From Head To Toe all over again!

It's still not on Radio 2's playlist, which is where I would expect it to be by now, if only on the C-list.

Has anyone heard it?!

Nx
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Neil. wrote:I hope this'll be available as a download so that I don't have to buy the whole CD.
I hate when iTunes has tracks that are available for purchase only with the complete album. That just seems to go against what iTunes is all about. "Let's Misbehave" and "Beautiful" from the House soundtrack are two such examples.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

That is quite often the case for soundtrack albums and the reason has to do with performer's contracts for being included. iTunes doesn't have control over those contracts, unfortunately.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Ah, right... well, the main thing for me is that it gets lots of radio play. So intrigued, as this is the first 'pure' Imposters recording for aaaaaages.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Neil. wrote:Ah, right... well, the main thing for me is that it gets lots of radio play. So intrigued, as this is the first 'pure' Imposters recording for aaaaaages.
It would be nice to hear it live. Last I checked, he's on a pretty extensive tour right now.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

!!! This is now being played on BBC R2 0740 UK on Zoe Ball show ... in an hour or two will be on 'play it again' facility for a week ... sounded fine to me.