Costello's song-by-song comments on When I Was Cruel

Pretty self-explanatory
Stuart Gardner

Costello's song-by-song comments on When I Was Cruel

Post by Stuart Gardner »

Hello, all.
A short time ago I placed my first post on this forum, introducing myself as a new member.
Because I'm new to the party (to this forum, not to Costello) I thought I'd bring a small gift, so I've uploaded something to mediafire for the benefit of anyone who doesn't already have it.
When he was promoting When I Was Cruel, Costello made these interesting observations on each of the album's songs. I don't recall where or how I got these, but it was while When I Was Cruel was new.
These mp4s range in length from forty seconds (comments on Alibi) to two minutes thirty-nine seconds (comments on 15 Petals).
If you don't already have them I suggest burning them to a CD and keeping it as a companion to the album.
This is the first time I've uploaded anything to mediafire. I'm new there and I'm learning my way around, so it's just possible that I may have made some error. If I have, and anyone is unable to reach these, let me know.
Enjoy!
http://www.mediafire.com/wheniwascruelcomment
krm

Re: Costello's song-by-song comments on When I Was Cruel

Post by krm »

Stuart Gardner wrote:Hello, all.
A short time ago I placed my first post on this forum, introducing myself as a new member.
Because I'm new to the party (to this forum, not to Costello) I thought I'd bring a small gift, so I've uploaded something to mediafire for the benefit of anyone who doesn't already have it.
When he was promoting When I Was Cruel, Costello made these interesting observations on each of the album's songs. I don't recall where or how I got these, but it was while When I Was Cruel was new.
These mp4s range in length from forty seconds (comments on Alibi) to two minutes thirty-nine seconds (comments on 15 Petals).
If you don't already have them I suggest burning them to a CD and keeping it as a companion to the album.
This is the first time I've uploaded anything to mediafire. I'm new there and I'm learning my way around, so it's just possible that I may have made some error. If I have, and anyone is unable to reach these, let me know.
Enjoy!
http://www.mediafire.com/wheniwascruelcomment
Thanks. Intersting listening for a friday evening!
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Thank you! This could prove to be informative.
20PercentAmnesia

Post by 20PercentAmnesia »

Thank you! Love this album.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Thanks, Stuart!
Stuart Gardner

Post by Stuart Gardner »

You are most welcome, all.
I'm very glad these were of interest, and that my first use of mediafire succeeded.
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

thanks new guy. you and folks like you continue to make this site so cool. peace
krm

Post by krm »

I found my old homeburned CD with these song introductions from WIWC recently. Does anyone here have a clue of the origin?
Mr. Getgood

Post by Mr. Getgood »

Unfortunately the original link to the comments no longer works. Would anybody happen to know if they can be found elsewhere online?

Also, would anybody happen to know why WIWC is not available on Spotify (in the UK at least)? I’ve tried doing some digging but can’t figure out why. Both Painted From Memory and Cruel Smile are available on Spotify and they were released on Mercury/Island like WIWC was, which, as I understand, are part of Universal anyway, so I can’t fathom why there would be a record company/licensing issue regarding its omission. Thanks.
I love you just as much as I hate your guts.
Mr. Getgood

Post by Mr. Getgood »

Incidentally, here’s an interesting interview I found recently from the WIWC era:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3uYTBp ... m06bojGmpg

“ This is the master tape of a radio interview I did with Costello in 2002 to mark the release of his album When I Was Cruel. During the show, you can hear that I was fazed somewhat by addressing the man as "Elvis!" But, we did talk about why he took Presley's name. Not only that, for the only time I am aware of Costello gave his opinion of the artistry of Elvis Presley.  He also discusses his early love of Motown, The Mamas and Papas, Small Faces and finally, of course,  his latest album. This is a must, as they say, for all fans of Costello.”
I love you just as much as I hate your guts.