Elvis/Imposters play Kansas City, MO , June 30 '11

Post by johnfoyle »

http://crossroads.frontgatesolutions.co ... &eid=61010

Thu, Jun 30
Doors at 7:00PM CrossroadsKC Kansas City, MO All Ages $40.00 - $76.50
Jeremy Dylan

Re: Elvis/Imposters play Kansas City, MO , June 30 '11

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Is he going to bring his baby back home?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

How exciting!

http://www.outcoldmarketing.com/blog/su ... re-friday/

Thursday we will have our first Out Cold Marketing team at the Crossroads KC venue downtown Kansas City for the Elvis Costello show. We will have A 2011 Chrysler 200 and 300 on display inside the venue. Make sure you stop by and say hi to the team!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

We will have A 2011 Chrysler 200 and 300 on display
They had to be this year's model, clearly.

MOOT
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

http://blogs.pitch.com/wayward/2011/03/ ... elimin.php

Elvis Costello & the Imposters hit the Crossroads this summer.

​Crossroads KC at Grinders, one of Kansas City's favorite outdoor concert venues, has rolled out the first incarnation of its summer concert lineup, and it runs the gamut from Vanilla Ice to Elvis Costello.

June will play host to indie-folk-reggae-popmeister Ben Harper, who will take to the Crossroads stage with Rebelution on Sunday, June 5. But June's most promising Crossroads show is certainly Elvis Costello & the Imposters, the alt-rock juggernaut that's been reinventing his new wave/punk style since the '70s. Though my personal favorite recent appearance by Costello was definitely his participation in Stephen Colbert's A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All (in which he was eaten by a bear!), his latest album, National Ransom, was true to Costello form and evidence of Costello's staying power, rich with lyrical genius and lilting melody lines. Costello and the Imposters come to Crossroads on Thursday, June 30.
"Alt-rock juggernaut"?

See also http://blogs.pitch.com/wayward/2011/02/ ... lar_sp.php
Elvis Costello's Spectacular Spinning Songbook, and three more concert concepts that are more irritating than innovative
MOOT
Uncomplicated

Post by Uncomplicated »

I'm hoping to make it to the show tonight. It may be a tough one though. Last Thursday I snapped a tendon in my right calf, so walking isn't the funnest thing to do right now, let alone standing on it for three hours, so we'll see. For Elvis... I could do anything. It is listed as a show with the Spinning Wheel... does anyone know if the Wheel is in fact going to be there tonight or not? I may give an extra effort if I know he'll be spinning that thing tonight.

Unc
It's in your eyes..... It's in your eyes.....
Uncomplicated

Post by Uncomplicated »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Yes, it's a wheel show.

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/elv ... -dates/148
Thanks ANCT.
It's in your eyes..... It's in your eyes.....
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Hope you get to go Uncomplicated. Look forward to seeing you on youtube dancing in the go go cage to the alt rock juggernaut beats...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

...also I was wondering if there'll be a Wizard of Oz reference sometime during the evening.

Something by Toto perhaps :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

verbal gymnastics wrote:...also I was wondering if there'll be a Wizard of Oz reference sometime during the evening.
Surely a snippet of Over The Rainbow after Alison.
Last edited by EarlManchester on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
recordbar

Post by recordbar »

Hey Elvis fans, we are sad we are missing the show at Crossroads tonight but we'd like to offer a discount for you to come down to recordBar (1020 Westport Rd in the Old Westport Shopping Center) after the Elvis Costello show tonight to see the legendary Meat Puppets perform. They will be going on around 11:30pm and if you show your Elvis Costello ticket stub at the door you will get $5 off the ticket price. Enjoy Elvis and we hope to see you after to hear how great it was.

Cheers,
recordBar

http://www.themeatpuppets.com/
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Twitter:
Omg. Brenda Nelson just spun CLUBLAND!!!
Uh oh, audience volunteer chosen to spin the wheel of songs wore the same hat as Elvis! Embarrassing!
He spun "Peace Love and Understanding" so the hat faux pas is forgiven.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I'm surprised no one's turned up to one of these wearing a hat and NHS specs yet.
And No Coffee Table

Almost Blue #costello #spectacularspinningsongbook
Be still my heart. Elvis is ending with Alison. I love.
Went from "Alison" seamlessly into "Purple Rain"! Nice curveball!
No "Everyday I write the book" or "Veronica" but still a good show. Stupid awesome wheel.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist from elviscostello.com:

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Kansas City
June 30th , 2011

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart Of The City
Mystery Dance
Uncomplicated
Radio Radio

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook

"Joanna" Jackpot - SPIN 1

Talking In The Dark

Clubland - SPIN 2

Peace, Love And Understanding - SPIN 3

Earthbound - SPIN 4 (with recitation)

This Wheel's On Fire (SPIN 5) vs Human Hands (SPIN 6)

Human Hands - UNANIMOUS DECISION - REQUEST LIGHT

Watching The Detectives/Help Me - IMPROMPTU

Joker - SPIN 7

Chelsea

"Imperial Chocolate" Jackpot - SPIN 8

Almost Blue
Shabby Doll
I Want You

Birthday Twin Spin Finale

Brilliant Mistake/Happy Birthday - SPIN 9

Joker - SPIN 10

Pump It Up - Mother's Request Shouted From Front Row

Alison/Purple Rain - SPIN 11

Encore

Sulphur To Sugarcane - with Rebecca and Megan Lovell of Larkin Poe on mandolin, dobro and vocals with the Imposters

The Crooked Line - duet with Rebecca Lovell featuring Megan Lovell and the Imposters.

The Scarlet Tide - with Rebecca and Megan Lovell with the Imposters
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://blogs.pitch.com/wayward/2011/07/ ... mposte.php

Elvis Costello and the Imposters, last night at Crossroads at Grinders

Not just a familiar feature on Elvis Costello's 2011 tour, The Big Wheel is also the title of a 1990 novel written by former Elvis Costello bassist Bruce Thomas, the only member of Elvis Costello's original Attractions not on stage with the Imposters last night. (He hasn't been since the 1990s.) The barely fictional novel is more like a transparent memoir about the drunk, bleak absurdity of lost-weekend-like touring with Elvis Costello and the Attractions in the 1980s.

The title isn't accidental. Perhaps The Big Wheel popped into Thomas' head when, in 1986, he first laid eyes on Elvis Costello's Spectacular Spinning Songbook, the same two-story, candy-colored, wheel-of-fortune set list that nearly eclipsed the Imposters' bassist at last night's show.

​If Thomas' whole idea was that the big spinning wheel made Costello into a grinning, gimmicky host whose fake Las Vegas game show invited spastic, helpless contestants to the stage rather than true fans, then you're much better off going to Costello's next show than reading The Big Wheel (if only just to disprove Thomas' bitter imagination).

Last night's Kansas City stop on Costello's Revolver tour, subtitled "The Return of the Spectacular Spinning Songbook," was the novel's antithesis. It was a warm, personal invitation to Costello's thirty-year-long, waking Technicolor dream (or nightmare if you're Bruce Thomas) of brutal new-wave and baroque Americana. Like a four-headed, one-man rat pack, Costello and the Imposters burned through hits, covers and back pages like time was irrelevant.

Putting on his glistening top-hat and proudly reclaiming the name Napoleon Dynamite, his MC alter-ego, Costello mockingly peddled his own songs about "love, sex, death, and dancing," with a snake-oil American drawl. On one side of the stage, fans spun the wheel, which Costello boldly filled up with pennants of his songs next to potential Beatles and Dylan covers (no luck last night). On the other side, a go-go dancer shimmied through the beaded chains of the play bird cage. Behind him, a backdrop of color bars sprawled down an old TV tube, and toward the back of the venue, GM boringly gave away a car.

But down in front, a night's convention of happily married couples chicken-danced to devilish and desperate songs about the hells of divorce and infidelity. "I Want You," turned the stage lights blood red. In this trial-like song that throws a cheating heart and its victim through an incinerator, he wrenched and wailed some of his sickest lyrics three times over: Did you call his name out as he held you down? The irony was rich, jolly and irreproducible.

Then he sang the lines of the once-TV-banned "Radio, Radio." I wanna bite the hand that feeds me / I wanna bite that hand so badly / I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me. In this bizarre world, Costello's conquest of America turns the would-be gimmick of the Revolver Tour into a rising phoenix, subverting the same decadence that drove Bruce Thomas to brood at his writing desk. ​

Known only as "The Singer" in The Big Wheel, the real Elvis is also a real court jester, a fool of genius. Almost like a real American, he cracked timely digs at pundits and politicos Glenn Beck (whose show appropriately ended this same day) and Michelle Bachmann (the queen Tea Partier who announced her presidential candidacy on Monday). Despite dusting off dated memes about Al Gore inventing the internet and the rapture dud, Costello knew when to stop and play his arsenal of razor-sharp songs, even if they weren't spun. "Alison" unraveled into Smoky Robinson, Prince, and "Somewhere over the Rainbow." The latter was not just another gimmick. Costello's played it all over the country. He just really likes the song. ​

​He was at his most sincere during the encore. The soulful blues Barbies of the opening act Larkin Poe came back to join Elvis on his own roots-y songs, written with his "brother" T-Bone Burnett. The first, "The Crooked Line," was introduced as his only about fidelity, though it too had "an escape hatch in the last verse." He sang another from his and Burnett's collaboration, "Scarlet Tide," and wished troops overseas that they'd get home soon, to which the crowd sobered up and remembered to cheer. At his last chance, Costello paid one last due to the American music to which the English-born Irishman indebts himself, raising high the back of his guitar to reveal a 'Rebuild New Orleans' bumper sticker.

In a 2003 Simpsons episode, Homer meets a guest-starring Elvis Costello at a rock and roll summer camp, where he manages to swat off Costello's hat and glasses. Costello shrieks, "My image!" as he falls to the ground to pick them up. Costello's sense of humor, and his sense of suffering, are Shakespearean compared to the slim Big Wheel. Last night was a reminder that his long career of dramatically performed songs reveals more than Thomas' book -- or anyone's book -- ever could about Elvis Costello.

CRITIC'S NOTEBOOK:

*Did that contestant whisper "I'm not married" to Elvis when they were dancing in the cage?

*The smile Elvis cracked during one of his mandolin solos was the least ironic thing to happen all night.

*The drinks served in the onstage social lounge were the same weird colors as the color bars.

*The guy in front of me, to me: "Last time Elvis was here, he was tuned to stink, but this time it's awesome."

*"Guy knows how to wear a lid," Elvis said about the only male contestant -- to an entire audience of males all wearing Elvis Costello lids.

SET LIST:

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart of the City (Nick Lowe)
Mystery Dance
Uncomplicated
Radio, Radio
Talking in the Dark
Clubland
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding
Earthbound
Human Hands
Watching the Detectives
Chelsea
Almost Blue
Shabby Doll
I Want You
Brilliant Mistake
Pump It Up
Alison/Tracks of My Tears (Smoky Robinson)/Somewhere Over the Rainbow/Purple Rain (Prince)

Encore:
Sulphur to Sugarcane
The Crooked Line
The Scarlet Tide

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

The official site links to this review and changes the headline to "Earthworms!!! Run For Your Lives!!!"

Review: Elvis Costello

Elvis Costello solved the age-old problem of what to do when an artist has too many great songs for one show – he brought them all onstage with him.
Costello’s "Spectacular Spinning Songbook" tour touched down at a crowded Crossroads on Thursday night. Behind the acclaimed songwriter’s left shoulder loomed a huge multi-colored wheel adorned with three dozen of his favorite songs. One at a time, members of the audience were invited up to spin the wheel and pick the next number.

“(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding,” usually an encore, came up early. So did “Earthworms,” a song Costello wrote for singer Wendy James in the early ‘90s but never recorded himself. When the wheel landed on Bob Dylan’s “This Wheel’s On Fire,” Costello let the crowd choose between that number and his own “Human Hands.” The headliner won out.

First employed in the late ‘80s, the spinning songbook is a novel way for the performer to experience his work in a new context. On that level it was a success. The quartet was tight and energetic, clearly feeding of the energy of the fans dancing along to their selections onstage. But the wheel also killed momentum and started to feel kind of gimmicky after a while.

That said there was indisputably some great music in between spins. A spooky “I Want You” and an extended reading of “Watching the Detectives” that played up the song’s dub roots were among the high points.

Many of the best moments came early. Costello and his Imposters took the stage in with many favorites in a potent 15-minute romp before introducing the wheel. The extended jam on “Uncomplicated” found Costello and bass player Davey Faragher trading lines from Jr. Walker’s “Shotgun.” The Motown connection returned during “Alison,” when Costello incorporated several of the verses from Smokey Robinson’s “Tracks of My Tears.”

Keyboard wizard Steve Nieve was the driving force on many songs, adding calliope runs to “Radio Radio,” a Theremin solo on “Peace, Love and Understanding” and sneaking some Stevie Wonder clavinet on “Shabby Doll.”

The night nearly ended with a brilliant three-song encore in which Costello and his band somehow took the jumpy “Pump It Up” straight into the reflective “Alison” before somehow ending up on a surprisingly strong version of Prince’s “Purple Rain.” Costello had other plans, however, returning with two thirds of the Lovell Sisters to play some bluegrass.

Setlist: I Hope You’re Happy Now; Heart of the City; Mystery Dance; Uncomplicated > Radio Radio; Talking in the Dark; Clubland; (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding; Earthbound; Human Hands; Watching the Detectives; (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea; Almost Blue; Shabby Doll; I Want You. Encore 1: Brilliant Mistake; Pump It Up; Alison > Purple Rain. Encore 2: Sulfur to Sugarcane; The Crooked Line; The Scarlet Tide.
And No Coffee Table

wheel spin / Talking In The Dark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSenSxtPfDI
Clubland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpz-6XVkF3w
wheel spins / Human Hands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fhQoOCF9sU
Watching The Detectives / Help Me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqn3DuCMrBs
Alison / Purple Rain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cmvoFIPB9s

The "Human Hands" chorus is a strange cross between the early version ("Whenever the money runs out...") and the album version ("...and you begin to doubt...").
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Another video from Larkin Poe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrHnS7fd8wM
CraigatCoF

Post by CraigatCoF »

If anyone is interested, this site is selling posters from the show:
http://hammerpress.net/collections/all/products/hp107
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »