Favorite Albums Of 2011 (So Far)

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
strangerinthehouse

Favorite Albums Of 2011 (So Far)

Post by strangerinthehouse »

2011 is looking like a great year for music, as mentioned in the recent CD purchases thread, so I thought it would be about time to ask what your favorite albums are so far?

Here are mine:

Elbow - Build a Rocket Boys! Loved it at first listen.
Radiohead - King of Limbs It's spotty I know but I listen to it a lot
Danger House and Daniel Luppi - Rome Beautiful
My Morning Jacket - Circuital Has there been a more fun album so far?
Tennis - Cape Dory This came out in January but everytime it comes up on shuffle, I remember how much I like it
The Weeknd - House of Balloons subtle, atmospheric R&B

Bon Iver's new one has left me dissappointed, I keep trying get into it but it hasn't happened yet.

What are your picks?
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Favorite Albums Of 2011 (So Far)

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Agree on the Elbow album - magnificent. Also love the Fleet Foxes Helplessness Blues and The Decemeberists' The King is Dead. Looking forward to the new Gillian Welch.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Buddy Miller, Marc Ribot, Greg Leisz and Bill Frizell - The Majestic Silver Strings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDM6nnDdJ4U

Alison Krauss + Union Station - Paper Aeroplane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTOB-JW9sM4

Hugh Laurie - Let Them Talk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQsfwqIJuj8

Jim Lauderdale - Reason and Rhyme (Out June 21st and really good)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtZ0LUNiX8E
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Agree it's shaping up very well. Elbow and Fleet Foxes do it for me, Ron Sexsmith not far behind, though far from being one of my favoes of his. Ditto Radiohead, several steps behind. James Blake debut recommended - very different and original. Didn't know there was a new G Welch- should be good. Can't wait to hear Bon Iver's second. Keen to spend time with Paul Simon too, and Circuital by MMJ.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Am in line with those who appreciate the new Fleet Foxes, The Decembrists, My Morning Jacket, Elbow and Paul Simon. All solid winners. MMJ and Fleet Foxes and Elbow are tops so far for me. I have a strong love for the Ron Sexsmith, as well. Like others eager to hear the new Gillian Welch. I also love the reissue of Labor of Lust from earlier this year and the archive release from Neil Young of his 1985 tour with the International Harvesters. Six months in and I am already thinking how will I cull the list to a manageable number by year end. That is a pleasant dilemma.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
strangerinthehouse

That Labour of Lust reissue was excellent. I could not get enough of it when I got it.

Another album that's I instantly liked is Alela Diane's new one Alela Diane & Wild Divine. She's a folk singer who hails from the same place as Joanna Newsom.

Gillian Welch's new one comes out on June 28, along with Pint of Blood by, one my favorites, Jollie Holland.

Then there's still new albums from Stephen Malkmus, Beirut, Wilco and St. Vincent.

That end of the year list is going to be a hard one.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Otis Westinghouse

Wasn't sure if you meant 'hails from' literally or metaphorically, but I see she too is from Nevada City, though now resident in Portland. Musically quite different, but I like what I'm hearing so far (listening on Spotify). Maybe some things are reminiscent in her singing, though it's a deeper and different sound. People always call Joanna 'winsome'. which is an annoying word. I just call her brilliant.

Indeed, a new Wilco is on the way, and it can only be superb. Gutted that I'm going to be away when they play London's Roundhouse. Even though my left-ear tinnitus seemed to start very soon after seeing them at the Royal Festival Hall last September (probably the incredible Niagara Falls of guitar noise Nels Cline was producing on Bull Black Nova!).
Jack of All Parades

Must be advanced senility as I failed to add "Apocalypse" by Bill Callahan to my favorites of the year, to date. This should amend that omission.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Hello!

Yes, it's really me. Thought I'd pay you good folks a visit and submit some of my favourites so far for consideration. Eager to pick up the new albums by Those Darlins and Dawes, two bands I discovered this year, but for now here are some of my other favourites:

Middle Brother - Middle Brother
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
Booker T. Jones - Road From Memphis
The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow
The Belle Brigade - The Belle Brigade
The Baseball Project - Volume Two: High and Inside
Paul Simon - So Beautiful Or So What

Nice to see everyone.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I am also looking forward to the new Dawes, which I hope will be something like the old Dawes. I really, really, really like their first album.

2011? New? IDK. mY BFF jILL.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
strangerinthehouse

Welcome back BlueChair.

I see that The Decemberists are getting a lot of acclaim for The King is Dead but I just couldn't get into it. I do love "Dear Avery"
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Wasn't sure if you meant 'hails from' literally or metaphorically, but I see she too is from Nevada City, though now resident in Portland. Musically quite different, but I like what I'm hearing so far (listening on Spotify). Maybe some things are reminiscent in her singing, though it's a deeper and different sound. People always call Joanna 'winsome'. which is an annoying word. I just call her brilliant.
Yeah, I thought I read somewhere that they also played together when they were starting out.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Otis Westinghouse

That's right, Alela has opened for Joanna quite a bit, I read too.

I've listened to The King is Dead a little on Spotify. Sounds good, but I've not heard anything that matched Picaresque since. I know people rave about The Crane Wife. The covers band I drum in are playing a wedding in July (second year running this has happened, and both occasions they've wanted X-Ray Spex's 'Oh Bondage, Up Yours!' - these are the right people to be playing for, I feel), and the couple are big Decemberists fans, so although they're not in our repertoire, we're figuring out what to do, and someone just suggested 'The Engine Driver' from Picaresque, which reminded me just how great that album was.

Bon Iver's eponymous sophomore effort is getting v good reviews here. not the heartbreak of the debut, lots of songs inspired by and name-checking locations. More of a band sound. Should be good.

Hello there Blue! Us old timers, eh? Hope fatherhood is treating you well and all is well with your clan! You should come by more often.
migdd

Post by migdd »

In addition, John Hiatt's new one, Dirty Jeans and Mudslide Hymns, is due out August second. It's his third album with his touring band, The Combo. Another one to look forward to, at least it is for me.

http://www.dirtyjeansandmudslidehymns.com/
Otis Westinghouse

Oh, and Björk's Crystalline should be pretty good.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

All new releases if not brand new stuff but...

Eliza Carthy - Neptune (brand new and brilliant)
Joe Jackson - Live Music (nice covers of Girl, Inbetweenies and Scary Monsters)
Randy Newman - Songbook Volume 2
signed with love and vicious kisses
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Just picked up a dynamite new Buddy Holly tribute record 'RAVE ON BUDDY HOLLY'. It features contributions from Paul McCartney, Cee Lo Green, She & Him, Nick Lowe, Patti Smith, Florence + The Machine, Lou Reed, John Doe, Jenny O, Justin Townes Earle, My Morning Jacket, Kid Rock, The Black Keys, Karen Elsom and Graham Nash.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:Just picked up a dynamite new Buddy Holly tribute record 'RAVE ON BUDDY HOLLY'. It features contributions from Paul McCartney, Cee Lo Green, She & Him, Nick Lowe, Patti Smith, Florence + The Machine, Lou Reed, John Doe, Jenny O, Justin Townes Earle, My Morning Jacket, Kid Rock, The Black Keys, Karen Elsom and Graham Nash.
Sounds like a good one. Will definitely pick this one up.
Shankly

Post by Shankly »

I'd recommend:-

Fairport Convention - Festival Bell
Doomsword - The eternal battle
Amon Amarth - Surtur rising
The Unthanks - Last
Emmylou Harris - hard bargain
Blood Ceremony - Living with the ancients
Van Der Graaf Generator - Grounding in numbers
Primordial - Redemption at the puritan's hand
Jack of All Parades

Have to add the new Wilco and Nick Lowe to my list. If you can see their shows this year it is most recommended by me.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

The Jesus of Cool has announced a down under tour for next March. I'll be making my way along there for sure.
redsfan720

Post by redsfan720 »

BlueChair wrote: The Baseball Project - Volume Two: High and Inside
Glad someone else is digging The Baseball Project. Great stuff.

The new Wilco album, The Whole Love, is just exquisite. I fear speaking any further about it because nothing I say will do it proper justice.

I've become a big fan of Mayer Hawthorne. His second album just came out and it's so good. The album is called How Do You Do. If you haven't heard his first album, A Strange Arrangement, you're missing out on some really high-quality music. Soul—almost a Motown treatment—with modern-day sensibility and influences.
Jack of All Parades

Welcome aboard! Mr. Hawthorne gets some reasonable airplay on a local college station-WFUV. What I have heard has not caused me to switch the station.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Nothing's gonna top Wilco's "The Whole Love." Best album I've heard in a few years.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Yay, another lover of it. Sounds like for you it's ahead of their other recent ones. For me it's consistently top quality, and arguably better for that reason, but there are stand-out songs for me on their last three (especially Ghost and Sky) that I'm not sure TWL quite equals. Also, it's early days and I've not played so much yet, I know I will loads after the live experience. Thing is, though, the ones that I really love are where Nels Cline takes it to another level, and the whole band with him, so my two favourite examples are 'At Least That's What You Said' and 'Impossible Germany', where already great songs are made completely stellar. TWL doesn't quite match that. YHF is pretty much the one I'd always take to a desert island, though.
redsfan720

Post by redsfan720 »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: Thing is, though, the ones that I really love are where Nels Cline takes it to another level, and the whole band with him, so my two favourite examples are 'At Least That's What You Said' and 'Impossible Germany', where already great songs are made completely stellar.
I saw Wilco in Nashville at the beginning of this month and Nels was loaned Duane Allman's goldtop Les Paul for the show (the owner was at the show and is a Wilco fan, apparently), and Nels played Impossible Germany on it. Pure bliss.