Elvis/Imposters, Oakland, CA, May 8/9 '11

Pretty self-explanatory
slobin

Re: Elvis/Imposters, Oakland, CA, May 8/9 '11

Post by slobin »

Great show. My 10th (I think), and definitely one of the most fun.

Some of the ones that Lieutzip missed:
Heart of the City (pretty sure this was song #2)
Green Shirt (first of the color songs)
River in Reverse was actually This Wheel's On Fire -> RIR. A highlight.
Strict Time
Jimmie Standing ended with a minute or so of Brother Can You Spare a Dime (mic-less). There was one other mic-less bit earlier.

Shipbuilding was fantastic - performed from the stairs at the edge of the stage.
Next Time Round and Country Darkness were also personal highlights.
And the whole final set / 3rd encore was breathless - as per usual, everyone was up on their feet and clamoring for more.
Total time was about 2:10.
Elvis was in a fine mood. Lots of anti-right wing jokes, and Trump came up a few times.

I'd go see all of these shows if I could. I'll be in Philly next week for work... anyone have an extra ticket? :)
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

slobin wrote:Great show. My 10th (I think), and definitely one of the most fun.

Some of the ones that Lieutzip missed:
Heart of the City (pretty sure this was song #2)
Green Shirt (first of the color songs)
River in Reverse was actually This Wheel's On Fire -> RIR. A highlight.
Strict Time
Jimmie Standing ended with a minute or so of Brother Can You Spare a Dime (mic-less). There was one other mic-less bit earlier.

Shipbuilding was fantastic - performed from the stairs at the edge of the stage.
Next Time Round and Country Darkness were also personal highlights.
And the whole final set / 3rd encore was breathless - as per usual, everyone was up on their feet and clamoring for more.
Total time was about 2:10.
Elvis was in a fine mood. Lots of anti-right wing jokes, and Trump came up a few times.

I'd go see all of these shows if I could. I'll be in Philly next week for work... anyone have an extra ticket? :)
Nice review. I Hope You're Happy Now > Heart of the City > Strict Time > Mystery Dance is one hell of an overture. Official set list confirms yours:

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/the-r ... -lists/117
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
ncalsurfer

Post by ncalsurfer »

Thanks everyone for the reviews/setlists. The show last night was awesome! How about the Alison -> Wind Cries Mary -> Somewhere Over The Rainbow? Granted they were just snippets, but that was wicked awesome!

Trying to post some pics, but I just hit my free limit on Flickr (argh). Will resolve and get back with links.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://trinachow.blogspot.com/2011/05/e ... sters.html

Elvis' site seems happy to list this rather mean-spirited review -

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/the-s ... tures-/118

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainmen ... i_18031389

Review: Elvis Costello spins roulette wheel, and it doesn't pay off

By Jim Harrington
Oakland Tribune

Posted: 05/10/2011

Talk about audience participation.

During Elvis Costello's two-night stand at the Fox Theater, which finished up on Monday night, the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer invited fans onstage to help formulate set lists via "The Spectacular Spinning Songbook," a game-show-style roulette wheel that listed some 40 song titles.

Fans would spin the wheel -- which stood at least twice as tall as Costello -- and where it stopped would dictate what the star would play next.

It sounds like fun, right? And it was -- to a degree. But it also presented many problems, some of which the 56-year-old Englander was unable to overcome during his nearly 2½-hour show on Monday in Oakland.

First and foremost, set lists are best assembled by professionals -- not by chance. The one that came to fruition on Monday hardly delivered the best Costello has to offer. Plus, it's not just what you play -- but also what order you play it in. This particular shuffle was iffy at best, bunching together too many ballads and mid-tempo offerings.

Then, of course, there is the key issue of momentum. A live show should feel like it's going somewhere -- that there's some degree of forward progress -- yet nothing kills momentum quite liking taking a break between songs to bring a fan up onstage.

It's no wonder that Costello hasn't toured with this wheel in 25 years. It's more trouble than it's worth.

Costello must realize that, for he decided to hedge his bet on this gamble on numerous occasions during the show. For instance, the vocalist-guitarist and his band the Imposters -- keyboardist Steve Nieve, drummer Pete Thomas and bassist Davey Faragher -- ignored the wheel when they first took the stage, opening the concert with a well-chosen four-song blast that was far stronger than anything else we'd hear over the next 1½ hours.

Costello then donned a top hat, grabbed a cane, and launched into full-on Bob Barker mode. "My name is Napoleon Dynamite," he announced. "I'm your host for the Spectacular Spinning Songbook!"

His lovely assistant then brought the first contestant -- George from Anchorage, Alaska -- up to give the wheel a spin. It would land on "Shipbuilding," a dreary meditation on the sad relationship between war and the economy, which Costello recorded on 1983's "Punch the Clock." Not exactly an ideal choice to kick off the segment.

While Costello sang, George from Anchorage sat at a makeshift bar erected onstage and sipped a pink cosmo.

Later, two women from the crowd spun the wheel to "The Other Side of Summer," a rather weak offering from 1991's "Mighty Like a Rose." The females would initially listen from the bar, then move over to boogie in the go-go cage set up at stage right.

Besides, individual song titles, the wheel also listed a few categories, which at least gave the star some wiggle room. The first category hit was "I can sing the colors of the rainbow," which resulted in Costello crooning the colorful offerings "Green Shirt," "Blue Chair," "(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes" and a snippet of Prince's "Purple Rain." That last bit may have seemed like an ad-lib, but Costello had reportedly soundchecked the number earlier that day.

The encore segment, which stretched approximately 45 minutes, basically ignored the wheel. Not coincidentally, it was much better than most of the main set.

Let's hope that Costello waits at least another 25 years before bringing "The Spectacular Spinning Songbook" back to town.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://llreps.wordpress.com/2011/05/10/ ... c-therapy/

May 10, 2011

Inspired by waves and LA architecture, David Calderley of Graphic Therapy created this gig poster for Elvis Costello & The Imposters. The font used on the name Elvis Costello is particularly intriguing.
lieutzip

Post by lieutzip »

johnfoyle wrote:http://trinachow.blogspot.com/2011/05/e ... sters.html

By Jim Harrington
Oakland Tribune

During Elvis Costello's two-night stand at the Fox Theater, which finished up on Monday night, the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer invited fans onstage to help formulate set lists via "The Spectacular Spinning Songbook," a game-show-style roulette wheel that listed some 40 song titles.

Fans would spin the wheel -- which stood at least twice as tall as Costello -- and where it stopped would dictate what the star would play next.

It sounds like fun, right? And it was -- to a degree. But it also presented many problems, some of which the 56-year-old Englander was unable to overcome during his nearly 2½-hour show on Monday in Oakland.

First and foremost, set lists are best assembled by professionals -- not by chance. The one that came to fruition on Monday hardly delivered the best Costello has to offer. Plus, it's not just what you play -- but also what order you play it in. This particular shuffle was iffy at best, bunching together too many ballads and mid-tempo offerings.

Then, of course, there is the key issue of momentum. A live show should feel like it's going somewhere -- that there's some degree of forward progress -- yet nothing kills momentum quite liking taking a break between songs to bring a fan up onstage.

It's no wonder that Costello hasn't toured with this wheel in 25 years. It's more trouble than it's worth.

Costello must realize that, for he decided to hedge his bet on this gamble on numerous occasions during the show. For instance, the vocalist-guitarist and his band the Imposters -- keyboardist Steve Nieve, drummer Pete Thomas and bassist Davey Faragher -- ignored the wheel when they first took the stage, opening the concert with a well-chosen four-song blast that was far stronger than anything else we'd hear over the next 1½ hours.

Costello then donned a top hat, grabbed a cane, and launched into full-on Bob Barker mode. "My name is Napoleon Dynamite," he announced. "I'm your host for the Spectacular Spinning Songbook!"

His lovely assistant then brought the first contestant -- George from Anchorage, Alaska -- up to give the wheel a spin. It would land on "Shipbuilding," a dreary meditation on the sad relationship between war and the economy, which Costello recorded on 1983's "Punch the Clock." Not exactly an ideal choice to kick off the segment.

While Costello sang, George from Anchorage sat at a makeshift bar erected onstage and sipped a pink cosmo.

Later, two women from the crowd spun the wheel to "The Other Side of Summer," a rather weak offering from 1991's "Mighty Like a Rose." The females would initially listen from the bar, then move over to boogie in the go-go cage set up at stage right.

Besides, individual song titles, the wheel also listed a few categories, which at least gave the star some wiggle room. The first category hit was "I can sing the colors of the rainbow," which resulted in Costello crooning the colorful offerings "Green Shirt," "Blue Chair," "(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes" and a snippet of Prince's "Purple Rain." That last bit may have seemed like an ad-lib, but Costello had reportedly soundchecked the number earlier that day.

The encore segment, which stretched approximately 45 minutes, basically ignored the wheel. Not coincidentally, it was much better than most of the main set.

Let's hope that Costello waits at least another 25 years before bringing "The Spectacular Spinning Songbook" back to town.
Meh. Harrington's a pungent hack, just like every other moron they've hired to write about music in the Bay Area. I seriously haven't seen a good show review come out of the major publications in years. Most of the bloggers suck, too; their snark is just more current. They all act like there's some sacred rulebook live shows are supposed to abide by, even though they're, y'know, LIVE.

Anyway, I'm sure EC's site just posted the link to illustrate the extreme dichotomy between this dude's myopic view of the show, and the actual reaction of the rest of the audience.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

you know, i've got another new idea....maybe, as a song is about to end, ELVIS himself should give the wheel a spin and tell the boys the next song to launch into. kind of the way they normally do things anyway, yet eliminating some of the downtime needed to bring audience members onstage. limit the people from the crowd portion to a three-four maximum per evening. yet, still employing the wheel and the NAPOLEON role as well while bantering w/o excessive attendees hitting the stage!
docinwestchester

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

rip me one please doc! you're riding to wellmont with us, right? we gotta talk this weekend! you know what else your computer illiterate analog buddy needs CC? artwork that has been made for virtually ANY of my recordings, if you can please. what happened that you never uploaded any of those other acts boots i loaned you on 4-1???
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:rip me one please doc! you're riding to wellmont with us, right? we gotta talk this weekend! you know what else your computer illiterate analog buddy needs CC? artwork that has been made for virtually ANY of my recordings, if you can please. what happened that you never uploaded any of those other acts boots i loaned you on 4-1???
Call me this weekend (or I'll call you).
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

docinwestchester

Listening to Steve and the band between songs, during spins, I'm hearing cool snippets. Besides the obvious Spinning Wheel before the first spin, he plays bits of Temptation (after Shipbuilding, before Harry Worth), The Imposter (before Chelsea), Charm School (!) before RIR, and even a little Hey Bulldog before Monkey To Man.

Any others?
docinwestchester

sweetest punch wrote:The Long Honeymoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPRuiXfMp80
Outstanding. But misterpippen (the videographer) needed a zoom lens to better capture that moment when EC joined her in the dance cage. I'll be bringing both audio and video rigs next week...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Amusing blog account-

http://andrewvanderkarr.blogspot.com/20 ... nning.html

Elvis said he liked this amateur dancer's lid.

(extract)

Those goddamn life-ruining shitbird 3% bastards that got to go up on stage, after they spun the wheel, were offered a drink and a seat at a special (not the eating ping-pong balls filled with tuna special, I mean the good kind!) lounge at the side of the stage or they could dance for the crowd in a go-go cage. A surprisingly high percentage of people elected for the cage. Some were funny and awkward, one was beautiful and awkward, and one looked like a drunken cow when she fell out of the cage.
My favorite of the amateur dancers managed to lure Elvis into the cage with her for a brief dalliance before he slyly hopped out the other side. She was charming and funny and somehow managed to cage dance to a slowish tune about a husband cheating on his wife called The Long Honeymoon. When she had originally spun the wheel, people had cheered for the song as it came up because they had been told that it was her fifteenth wedding anniversary, the song obviously had the word honeymoon right in the title, and her husband was somewhere in the crowd. Often lyrics aren't listened to because people are simple.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:The Long Honeymoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPRuiXfMp80
Outstanding. But misterpippen (the videographer) needed a zoom lens to better capture that moment when EC joined her in the dance cage. I'll be bringing both audio and video rigs next week...
daring doc...don't get caught. wellmont can be tough on vids!!!!!!!!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

MOJO

Post by MOJO »

johnfoyle wrote:Amusing blog account-

http://andrewvanderkarr.blogspot.com/20 ... nning.html

Elvis said he liked this amateur dancer's lid.

(extract)

Those goddamn life-ruining shitbird 3% bastards that got to go up on stage, after they spun the wheel, were offered a drink and a seat at a special (not the eating ping-pong balls filled with tuna special, I mean the good kind!) lounge at the side of the stage or they could dance for the crowd in a go-go cage. A surprisingly high percentage of people elected for the cage. Some were funny and awkward, one was beautiful and awkward, and one looked like a drunken cow when she fell out of the cage.
My favorite of the amateur dancers managed to lure Elvis into the cage with her for a brief dalliance before he slyly hopped out the other side. She was charming and funny and somehow managed to cage dance to a slowish tune about a husband cheating on his wife called The Long Honeymoon. When she had originally spun the wheel, people had cheered for the song as it came up because they had been told that it was her fifteenth wedding anniversary, the song obviously had the word honeymoon right in the title, and her husband was somewhere in the crowd. Often lyrics aren't listened to because people are simple.

And just when you think you've had too much to drink at a concert, along comes a real winner. This guy is a top contender for the "champion of booze hounds" award.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

lieutzip wrote:
johnfoyle wrote:http://trinachow.blogspot.com/2011/05/e ... sters.html

By Jim Harrington
Oakland Tribune

Meh. Harrington's a pungent hack, just like every other moron they've hired to write about music in the Bay Area. I seriously haven't seen a good show review come out of the major publications in years. Most of the bloggers suck, too; their snark is just more current. They all act like there's some sacred rulebook live shows are supposed to abide by, even though they're, y'know, LIVE.

Anyway, I'm sure EC's site just posted the link to illustrate the extreme dichotomy between this dude's myopic view of the show, and the actual reaction of the rest of the audience.
This is example of the sad state of journalism today. No one really cares it seems, not even the writer who is getting paid. The Tribune should have at least have sent a music lover. Anyone who knows music would know that Elvis is someone that deserves respect.. It's short on words and commentary,too. What a douche.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis' site is now linking the 'amusing' blog as The People Speak Again

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/the-p ... -again/119

I guess they use Google Blog search just like the rest of us...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

misterpippen

Post by misterpippen »

Here is a vastly superior clip of Long Honeymoon, closer, better sound and you can see my wife's great smile.
The Long Honeymoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXvKK1LNxDQ
Thanks to stylechallenged for posting it.
docinwestchester

misterpippen wrote:Here is a vastly superior clip of Long Honeymoon, closer, better sound and you can see my wife's great smile.
The Long Honeymoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXvKK1LNxDQ
Thanks to stylechallenged for posting it.
She did a fantastic job. Not an easy song to dance to, and she played it perfectly.