Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Last time I was at Trader Joe's I remembered to pick up a jar of their kosher half-sour pickles, highly recommended by Our Bobster. Heaven in a jar... I think I'm about to increase my sodium intake about ten-fold. Oh dear. Also they make a delicious (and very multi-cultural!) companion to the slightly sweet 'Dubliner' cheese.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Another random thought: how come all my random thoughts are about food?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Because food is the music of love.

Sake is a great drink, but add a little Japanese chilli sauce (with seseme overtones) to it and you have a drink to die for! that's what I've been on, plus the beer and whisky.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

The other day I sent this email to my aunt:
o, yesterday, I was walking down the street in my neighborhood, when
I saw that one corner was roped off, with a guard/monitor guy standing
there.  In the roped-off area, a guy was standing on a ladder, hitting
an old building (one of those Parisian-looking, falling-apart kind of
buildings) with a hammer.  With every blow, little chunks of building
fell off the facade onto the ground, which was already littered with
debris.  The following conversation took place in Spanish.

Me:  Was there an accident?
Guard: No.  Every once in a while we hit the buildings with a hammer
to see what falls off.  It's to prevent accidents.
Me: But doesn't that destroy the building?
Guard: It doesn't destroy the building.  If a piece falls off now,
that means it won't fall off later.  We have to maintain these
buildings, or they'll fall down.

Dear aunt, let me reiterate that the man was hitting the building
with a hammer.  And based on the prior state of the building, and the
state of all the other lovely old building in San Telmo, this is the
beginning and end of maintenance.  I guess the rationale of "hitting
the building with a hammer will make the loose pieces fall off all at
once, when there are no potential victims around" does adhere to a
certain bizarre logic...
And I got this email back:
Ya gotta love the Latin Americans.  An obliquely-related story:  When I was living in Brazil, I complained about the washing machine to the landlord.  "You can't run several loads in a row," he warned.  "Machines are not like people; they get tired."
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

thanks again for the well wishes everyone. they really made my night
bobster

Post by bobster »

Great news, Crash8! Very happy to hear it.
selfmademug wrote:Last time I was at Trader Joe's I remembered to pick up a jar of their kosher half-sour pickles, highly recommended by Our Bobster. Heaven in a jar... I think I'm about to increase my sodium intake about ten-fold. Oh dear. Also they make a delicious (and very multi-cultural!) companion to the slightly sweet 'Dubliner' cheese.
See what happens when you take my advice folks! As for the sodium, well they are HALF-SOUR, which I guess means they have less of something than full-sour and at least cucumbers are one of those negative calorie foods! So, any salt-induced weight gain will be purely temporary. And blood pressure? Well, er...c'mon, a little pickled gherkin never killed anyone!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

Random thought after watching 'Lord of War'...

Why, in America, is it 'Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms '

That sounds to me like 'Bureau of Shoplifters, Jaywalkers and Serial Killers '
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Damn. Schools closed today because it's hobo-killing cold outside. Bunch of wimps. In my day, when the temperature dropped you'd bundle up and trudge to school anyway. Of course I grew up in sunny Southern California...
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Who Shot Sam? wrote: it's hobo-killing cold outside
I'm ashamed to admit it, but that made me laugh out loud.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

selfmademug wrote:Last time I was at Trader Joe's I remembered to pick up a jar of their kosher half-sour pickles, highly recommended by Our Bobster. Heaven in a jar... I think I'm about to increase my sodium intake about ten-fold. Oh dear. Also they make a delicious (and very multi-cultural!) companion to the slightly sweet 'Dubliner' cheese.
You'll feel my pain then Muggy..... Upon my first trip to my new local Whole Foods (or, Whole Paycheck as I like to call it) I found that although they had an excellent cheese selection, they did not carry Dubliner cheese like my old Whole Foods did! Damn their eyes!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

That does it-- come on over to Mug's house, guys. Pickles and cheese for everyone! :D
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

If there's anything funnier than a man wearing a dress, I don't know what it is.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Where are all the Snow Women?
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I will never, ever understand Pokemon. There seem to be a million factors for each card and I can't figure out how the game works no matter how many questions I ask my son.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I will never, ever understand Pokemon. There seem to be a million factors for each card and I can't figure out how the game works no matter how many questions I ask my son. Thank God for chess.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

selfmademug wrote:I will never, ever understand Pokemon. There seem to be a million factors for each card and I can't figure out how the game works no matter how many questions I ask my son. Thank God for chess.
I will always credit Pokemon as a sign that I have grown up. Of all the crazy kid things that have come out since my childhood, that was the first one that I have absolutely no comprehension of, much to the delight of my small cousins.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

My boys know that stuff inside and out. They can quote stuff that makes my head spin.

But it keeps them out of trouble. :)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Is it still current/visible over there? It's ancient history here - I don't think kids are aware of it unless they's inherited card collections. I spent large chunks of time in the late 90s being exposed to all the names and details, and falling asleep in what has to be the poorest film I have been exposed to ever in the cinema.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

selfmademug wrote:I will never, ever understand Pokemon. There seem to be a million factors for each card and I can't figure out how the game works no matter how many questions I ask my son. Thank God for chess.
If you actually understood it, I think I would be afraid. :wink:
And I was happy to be alive, in a magic world.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

anjabro wrote:Random thought after watching 'Lord of War'...

Why, in America, is it 'Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms '

That sounds to me like 'Bureau of Shoplifters, Jaywalkers and Serial Killers '
The ATF is under the Dept. of the Treasury. Those three items are linked because there are vice taxes attached to each of them. You pay a little extra to the government on top of all the other taxes wehn you buy alcohol, smokes, and guns. The ATF is technically there to make sure those taxes get collected, but they also enforce abused in the sale, distribution, and manufacture of the three items. It's gets to be a giant muddle, of course. Because none of the above explains why the ATF should have been involved with the Waco standoff. But they were.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

That reminds me of something that always bugs me-- Smokey the Bear represents not some environmental arm of our fine government but rather the Department of Agriculture. So don't you believe it when he gets all weepy about the birds and fuzzy creatures. The real reason he doesn't want you playing with matches and burning down them trees is because he wants to be able to CUT THEM DOWN AND SELL THEM. (Well, get paid waaaaaay below market for corporate rights to do same.)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Christopher Walken was standing behind me in line at the grocery store today.

We tend to do our grocery shopping at a big grocery store with the car, but occasionally pick up last-minute things from a small 24 hour grocery store around the corner from our apartment. I went to pick up a can of tomato soup on my way home from work, and noticed Christopher Walken approaching the register before realizing there was a line. And yes, I'm sure it was Christopher Walken - I did a double, even triple take. He didn't say a word the entire time, and I don't think anybody else noticed it was him. He was wearing a winter hat which helped disguise him too, sort of.

Turns out he's in town along with Robin Williams and Laura Linney filming the Barry Levinson film "Man Of The Year" and I guess his hotel must be nearby. Still, I thought it was pretty cool!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

That's so cool, Blue !!

Did you notice what he bought ? :lol:
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

invisible Pole wrote:That's so cool, Blue !!

Did you notice what he bought ? :lol:
Condoms?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Flirting is one of the great small pleasures of life. It's up there with crossword puzzles and a well-made burrito.
Last edited by miss buenos aires on Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.