A tortilla is a tortilla is a tortilla: another FOOD thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
selfmademug

A tortilla is a tortilla is a tortilla: another FOOD thread

Post by selfmademug »

Since I've been filling the Random Thoughts thread with gluttonous ravings, I thought it would be a good public service to re-start a thread just about food. Here are a few foods I'm thinking about these days.

On the subject of tortillas, I adore a super fresh mexican-style corn tortilla like almost nothing else. Made with just corn flour, lime and water, and served with melted cheese. One of the great simple pleasures.

On a recent trip to Costco I picked up (among too many other things, natch) a big chunk of the yummy Spanish Manchego cheese and some honest-to-God New York Black and White Cookies. The latter has got to be of Jewish origin but I'm curious to know if they were an old-world thing or some more recent invention. For those who don't know them, Black & Whites are more like a little sponge cake cooked on baking sheet, so that one side is flat but the other rises up like the rounded top of a cake. After they cool, the flat bottom is frosted with a very specifically-textured icing and becomes the top. One half is iced with chocolate (black) and the other with a very lemony vanilla (white). Sometimes you'll find fake ones with gooey frosting (actually the one in the picture below looks suspect) but really it needs to be fondant (I think?) icing like on a petit four, which forms a shiny and subtly hard outer layer once it has cooled. Here, I'll write a haiku tribute:

Black and white cookie
Moon of soft cake and icing
Snap chocolate and lemon

Last edited by selfmademug on Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I love black and white cookies. Red and I actually tried to bake some a month or so ago, and they came out pretty good! The icing didn't spread on very smoothly though, cause we don't own a mixer and had to do it by hand.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recip ... ews/106171
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I also recently found this:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recip ... ews/233293

Same recipe, but for the mini version. I'd likely do these if I did it again.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Food I miss:

veggie dogs
New York pizza
sag paneer
veg dumplings
broccoli with garlic sauce
black beans
kidney beans
veggie cheeseburgers
pancakes
bagels
Ben & Jerry's
coconut curry
microwave kettle corn
macaroni and cheese
Honey Nut Cheerios

Okay, now I'm just depressed. And hungry...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

miss buenos aires wrote:Honey Nut Cheerios
I think I have some of these stuck to my kitchen floor - you want me to scoop them into a bag and mail 'em to you? :wink:
miss buenos aires

Thanks, but for now I'm getting by with something I like to call "Honeyed, Nutted O's."
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

miss buenos aires wrote:Food I miss:

veggie dogs
New York pizza
sag paneer
veg dumplings
broccoli with garlic sauce
black beans
kidney beans
veggie cheeseburgers
pancakes
bagels
Ben & Jerry's
coconut curry
microwave kettle corn
macaroni and cheese
Honey Nut Cheerios

Okay, now I'm just depressed. And hungry...
I'm surprised Reese's PB Cups aren't on that list :)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

mmm.. sag paneer
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
miss buenos aires

RedShoes wrote: I'm surprised Reese's PB Cups aren't on that list :)
Not actually a huge fan. A fan, yes, but not a huge fan.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

miss buenos aires wrote:Not actually a huge fan. A fan, yes, but not a huge fan.
I missed it tremendously when in England....I used to take chocolate bars and dip it in peanut butter just to get my fix.
miss buenos aires

They don't have peanut butter here...
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I love these - Neenish Tarts - this one appears to have fallen on the grass which is a sad fate indeed for something so tasty.

They look the same as your black and white cakes but are filled with a kind of custardy creamy goop.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

smm, i love those mexican chips too. You should add some jalapenos, maybe some good salsa and sour cream on the side. Oh and a Tecate. Its better than corona
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

miss buenos aires wrote:They don't have peanut butter here...
Blasphemous!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

MMmmmm, mexican food rocks my world! Practically all I ate during the times I was pregnant. Nothing ever had enough cheese on it!!!

Doc brought back some mixes from Munich to make some sauces and so I've been experimenting with those. German food is pretty good as well. The baked good there are just heaven on earth.

Sounds like you need a care package MBA. Send your address. It will be good practice for me to care for a young woman away from home since Jess will be in college in another year. :wink:
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Crash-- I love tortilla chips to pieces (literally, little tiny pieces in my stomach) but I was talking about the 6" round soft corn tortillas for making a quesadilla and so on. There's also a delish casserole you can make with them called chilaquiles. You cut the tortillas into strips, put them into a bowl with cream, raw tomatoes, some spice (oregano). And a ton of shredded cheese. Stir everything to coat and put it in a casserole. Then you bake it; it comes out soft and yummy. Serious comfort food. You can put chopped meat (or beans, I spose) in there as well if it's a dinner thing but just the cheese will do if you're making it for brunch, which is how I've had it-- sort of playing homefries to some nice huevos Mexicanos with black beans and homemade slasa.
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

I actually prefer tortillas to bread. I enjoy the flour tortillas compared to corn. Soft flour tortillas with turkey, shredded cheese, and Hermez salsa verde is very tasty.

Since living in Texas I have acquired a taste for the fresh jalapeno. Hotter the better. Really wakes up the tastebuds. :twisted:
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Damn, I just realised my cookie Haiku was 5-7-7 instead of 5-7-5. Here's a new version.

Black and white cookie
Moon of soft cake and icing
My coffee's in love
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

miss buenos aires wrote:Food I miss:
But what about the food you'll miss when you leave BA, unless you stay there forever, held captive by your chosen name? Have you had any awesome experiences? I haven't seen you mention yummy Argentinian beef, so assume from your list that you're a veg, which is kind of a shame in Gaucholand. But maybe there are other things to compensate. What are those really sweet things they eat and sell in tins? God that's a crap description! I recall they're pretty good. Some good cake shops there, no?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
miss buenos aires

I am a veg, and to be honest, I have found the food here to be less than inspiring. Sweets galore, including dulce de leche and fabulous ice cream, both of which are well-represented in my increasingly rotund figure. But everything is meat, and if it isn't meat, it's rather boring pasta or pizza. And good fresh vegetables (that aren't wrinkled, spotted, moldy or damaged) are really hard to find. And hardly any ethnic food to speak of; have only found hummus in one place across town (add hummus to that list), and it has almost no garlic or lemon at all. In fact, I can't even really taste the tahini; it might just be garbanzos and oil.

Anyway, Otis, I guess what I'm trying to say is that, much as I love this city, I am underwhelmed by its cuisine.
Otis Westinghouse

Oh dear. Any time I think of memorable meals there, slabs of juicy red beef come to mind! Sorry. I went to a, um, is it churrasquería? on a Sunday - vast hunks of carcasses on circular open fire, millions of families and kids, and just loved it.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Red Shoes wrote:
I'm surprised Reese's PB Cups aren't on that list
As I was reading that I was eating the last of the Reese's Inside Out PB cups that my wife brought back at Thanksgiving. :cry:

Good Mexican food in England has been tough to find - I've eaten some pretty intersting Mex - but never quite near the real thing. Impossible to get tamales or chile rellenos - difficult enough to get proper ones in the U.S. (except for the Southwest).
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Otis Westinghouse

Been to any in London? My boys adore Mexican food and are dying to have some on our next trip to the big smoke.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Been to any in London? My boys adore Mexican food and are dying to have some on our next trip to the big smoke.
Otis - this place may be worth a try:

http://www.cafepacifico-laperla.com/index.asp

My buddy Peter, an American who's been living there for three years now, was bemoaning the lack of good Mexican food in London when I saw him last weekend. Dunno if he's tried this place.

I found it hard for a long time to get decent Mexican food in New York, but now there are several good options, for both cheap eats and fine dining. Rosa Mexicano, across the street from Lincoln Center, is my fave. They have a little guacamole cart that they bring around to your table and make it fresh right there, served in a little mortar-like bowl.
Otis Westinghouse

Lovely! Did you happen upon Cafe Pacifico, or was it recommended? Don't use any particular online restaurant guide (any recommendations?), but a quick root reveals the usual Amazon-style mixed bag of comments on the above. Many of them say 'not as good as the US but the best London has to offer'.