Elvis when you least expect it

Pretty self-explanatory
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

EC on CBC. Some large-scale sets at the Marche Bonsecours (in downtown Montreal, central VIA Rail station food court); CBC was re-running the Simpsons rock camp episode.

FYI, a re-run of EC on the last Vicki Gabereau show is scheduled for this Friday (Canada Day) at 2pm (ET) on CTV. That's the one where he tried to get everyone to sing Edith Piaf's No Regrets. Fun stuff.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The Billy Bragg tune "Another Kind Of Judy" from his album, England, Half English (not his greatest moment) uses the EC line "thirty-five going on seventeen".
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Got on a bus today in mid afternoon and there was a dude hanging his leg over a seat with red docs and trousers like Elvis used to wear, TYM era. And I had Elvis on in the walkman. Armed Forces if I recall.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I turned on HBO two hours ago and what do I hear ? Elvis singing Oliver's Army during opening credits for a film called "Stateside" starring Val Kilmer. (didn't watch the whole film, though)
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
double dutchess

Post by double dutchess »

WE're not really nerds!
Oh, but I am.

A few weeks ago I heard "Alison" in a bar in DC. I was tipsy enough to sway my head and hum along, but not drunk enough to sing along. A week later I heard "Alison" in a bar in Arlington. Unfortunately, I've not had the pleasure of hearing Elvis sing me to drunkenness since.
I wasn't born the sharpest thorn
scielle

Post by scielle »

Hi hi... :lol: Elvis just put away the late show bear on Letterman. That was some doggie paddle he had going on there...
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

double dutchess wrote:
WE're not really nerds!
Oh, but I am.

A few weeks ago I heard "Alison" in a bar in DC. I was tipsy enough to sway my head and hum along, but not drunk enough to sing along. A week later I heard "Alison" in a bar in Arlington. Unfortunately, I've not had the pleasure of hearing Elvis sing me to drunkenness since.
I get pissed off when I hear Alison or Oliver's Army or any other of his older hits, I mean the guy has been singing for more than 20 years and those idiots only play the stuff he's made in the 70's. Play the other f***ing songs that you;ve never even heard of or get a job you can do half right.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
bobster

Post by bobster »

Listening to NPR's "Marketplace"...announcer discussing today's not-so-great Wall Street "numbers." "You can blame it on ____, or you can blame it on ___, or you can just blame it on Cain."
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

You can blame it on the sunshine
You can blame it on the moonlight
You can blame it the good times
Or you can blame it on the boogie.

I'd blame it on Cain bacause it just seems to be his turn.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Oh I guess I see you know Tim, isn't that very unfortunate for you? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I was riding my pushbike today and sat down for a break listening to a busker across the mall playing Zombie by The Cranberries, then, surprise surprise, he played Oliver's Army. It gave me goosebumps. Went and chatted with him and he said "I just have the one with the elephants", and I brought him up to date a little about The Imposters and so on. As I rode off I heard him break into "try to see it my way...". More goosebumps.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Pump it up is to be heard advertising a Samuel L Jackson film called "The Man" on TV in the UK.
Not Van Morrison I presume...
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

From today's Metro:

"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

A good chumbly mentioned in the pub tonight that it has been Maggie Thatcher's 80th birthday today, and in celebration Jeremy Vine (a well known EC fan) played Tramp the Dirt Down on his BBC Radio 2 show.

Apparently, this was followed by several phone call's of complaints.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
John

Post by John »

Nice piece of programming by Jeremy Vine.

Will he be so brave when the day comes ?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Rock on Jezza!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bobster

Post by bobster »

American Public Radio's "What Do You Know" (kind of an upscale, public radioy redo of the old U.S. game show "You Bet Your Life" with Groucho Marx). Elvis came up in a conversation between host Michael Feldman and the British-accented author of "Crappy Cars." Something about Michael getting the title of "The Beat" wrong ("On the Beat") and the British author commenting that Elvis had educated Americans about UK autos...though right now I can't think of any UK car references in an EC song.

(I only recently figured that Ford Prefect was a car, and not just the second lead in "Hitchhiker's Guide")

It was followed by another reference to "Elvis" recording an album of Smurfs songs (did smurgs sing?) but it's a 50/50 shot whether he meant Costello or Presley.

And, on almost unrelated note, anyone notice that there's a new, fairly hot book by Mary Gaitskill getting reviewed a lot with the title "Veronica" and the lead character's name is Alison? Coincidence? Judging from that apparently bitter tone of the book, not too likely, IMO...
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

double dutchess wrote:
WE're not really nerds!
Oh, but I am.

You mean you've never done a pole dance to "Alison"? You obviously don't drink enough.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

bobster wrote:American Public Radio's "What Do You Know" (kind of an upscale, public radioy redo of the old U.S. game show "You Bet Your Life" with Groucho Marx). Elvis came up in a conversation between host Michael Feldman and the British-accented author of "Crappy Cars." Something about Michael getting the title of "The Beat" wrong ("On the Beat") and the British author commenting that Elvis had educated Americans about UK autos...though right now I can't think of any UK car references in an EC song.

(I only recently figured that Ford Prefect was a car, and not just the second lead in "Hitchhiker's Guide")

It was followed by another reference to "Elvis" recording an album of Smurfs songs (did smurgs sing?) but it's a 50/50 shot whether he meant Costello or Presley.

And, on almost unrelated note, anyone notice that there's a new, fairly hot book by Mary Gaitskill getting reviewed a lot with the title "Veronica" and the lead character's name is Alison? Coincidence? Judging from that apparently bitter tone of the book, not too likely, IMO...
I caught that today. I was surprised to hear EC's name dropped in a car discussion.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

crash8_durham wrote:I caught that today. I was surprised to hear EC's name dropped in a car discussion.
I think we should lobby for the "Car Talk" guys to play "Five Gears In Reverse" between segments!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
scielle

Post by scielle »

Not exactly unexpected, but amusing nonetheless. A 40-minute interview with Ms. Buell - found here: http://rockandrollgeek.podshow.com/?p=77. EC is, um... discussed... If you don't care to hear the entire diatribe, try ~ 17min in, and perhaps more poignantly towards the end.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I keep forgetting to post that I saw the video for "Monkey to Man" on an Argentine music channel a few weeks ago... It was in a set of Sondre Lerche, Feist and Portishead. Why don't we have music channels like that in the States?!
bobster

Post by bobster »

Actually, we do, but mostly not over the air, with a few obvious exceptions. Even as I type this, I'm listening to "Sirius Disorder" via satellite dish -- my TV tells me that Tom Waits' (lovely) "Dead and Lovely" is playing. Before that, we got some Lyle Lovett.

Elvis C. and Pete Thomas (as well as Nick Lowe, separetely) are featured on some of the promos, but so far all I've heard from our boy is E.C. dueting with Tony Bennet on "They Can't Take that Away from Me." Still, for those of you like me who get Sirius via TV satellite, it's pretty cool.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Watching The Detectives in the frozen food aisle. Yes, I spend nearly every waking minute in the supermarket.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Forgot to mention ages ago while shopping at Party City for the kids Halloween costumes - Red Shoes playing in the store.