Is Elvis your #1?

Pretty self-explanatory

Is Elvis Costello your favourite musician of all time?

Yes!
67%
Nope, there are others I'd put higher up
33%

Total votes: 49

Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

noiseradio wrote:Coltrane, Gillespie, Miles, and Monk are all in front of anyone else for me.
Thanks Noise. However, I think I'm less prolific since my jazz-folk-skiffle fusion period of the late 70s.
corruptio optimi pessima
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

There's something about contemptuous, punny British men that does it for me. EC is number 1 with a bullet, with Jarvis Cocker a few steps behind.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I don't have a concrete #1, it changes too often. It has been Elvis on occassion, but I'd have to say most of the time, I'd put someone else ahead of him (I think Joni wins for today :P )
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Even though I sometimes go a (comparatively) long time without listening to any of his records, I always consider EC my favorite, and have since basically the first time I heard him.

And there's no other musician whose message board I would even really be tempted to frequent (or semi-frequent, as the case may be) ...
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

pip_52 wrote:Even though I sometimes go a (comparatively) long time without listening to any of his records, I always consider EC my favorite, and have since basically the first time I heard him.

And there's no other musician whose message board I would even really be tempted to frequent (or semi-frequent, as the case may be) ...
I agree completely.
What would be the point of posting on the internet about your fifth or sixth favourite artiste???
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

The point would be that you have a passion for music, and you are seeking a better understanding of the artist and his music. I listed my top artists, but I admit that they rotate and others creep into and out of the top ten all of the time.

If you look at the lists you will often see strong parallels in the top artists that surround elvis re: his popularity. I am equally excited to hear a song by Mavis Staples or Sam and Dave or the Beatles and notice a little vignette that sounds as if it influenced Elvis. Likewise, I love the little homages Elvis pays to these artists in his music. On TDM, there are so many influences, not the least of which are Johnny Cash and the Beatles.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
whar

Post by whar »

wardo68 wrote:
whar wrote:As people who have heard basically every album- I don't see how he wouldnt be your #1- even against Dylan.
Since I doubt I'll be able to explain in a way that would satisfy you, I won't bother. It is what it is, and that's just part of what makes this board such a fine tapestry of opinions.
Okay, I guess.
Oy with the poodles, already!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yeah probably EC's me number 1...in terms of music that I can constantly relate to things that happen/have happened to me...you know in the way that sometimes a song becomes your own, and you can never hear it again without thinking about a particular moment. I guess that's more to do with his lyrics than anything else though.

Up there with him are Richard Thompson, Captain Beefheart, Led Zeppelin, Tom Waits, Nick Lowe, Billy Bragg....actually I'll just stop listing...but it's close for second between RT and CB!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

he is mine. watching his performances elevates him.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

oily slick wrote:he is mine. watching his performances elevates him.
Ok, but I'm telling Jimmy Buffet you said that!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I will say that I enjoy performing Elvis' songs more than anyone else's, with Michael Penn's a close second.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
little martinet

Post by little martinet »

This is a really hard question to answer for me. My 2 favourite musical artists of all time are U2 and EC. U2 I just always have to rank as #1, just because of the deep sentimental connection I have to their music (I've loved them since I was 12, and I think if I were to rank EC higher, my teenaged self would somehow come out of the past and beat me up).

But, while U2 appeals to my heart, EC appeals to my head. EC is a master lyricist and performer and is much more accessible than U2, obviously! He tours all the time and seems to constantly be putting out new material. In terms of 'singer/songwriters' EC is definitely my #1 (I love Neil Young but I haven't yet found a connection with Dylan...I like him, don't love him...yet!)
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

El Vez wrote:
oily slick wrote:he is mine. watching his performances elevates him.
Ok, but I'm telling Jimmy Buffett you said that!
well alright, but don't tell geddy lee!
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

I am assuming this is an opinion question. If that is the case then Yes definately. I am sure many artists could be in an argument for who is the best but if you are asking what our opinions are then yes.

I have always loved his song writing. As for muscianship, he is certainly good but there are always those who's specialty is an instrument. His voice is not the best I have ever heard but it's fine. His interpretation in his voice works well for his songs. I rarely hear a cover of his songs that I like anywhere close to his own version.

Overall though when in doubt, I would default to an EC song. There are so many that you can never get tired of it. The Beatles are similar in that respect.

That's quite a ramble but I hope you get the idea.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

I was hoping that there might be a third option of "I have no favourite" as my moods are always changing.

Of those whose music I listen to and admire the most, Elvis is indeed one along with Ryuichi Sakamoto (who I believe to be possibly the greatest living musician and with whom many parallels can be drawn with our EC), John Lennon, Beatles, Frank Zappa, Tom Waites, DJ Krush, Bill Laswell and the Clash
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

For me it's very closely run between Bowie and Costello (despite my lack of knowledge of the latter's lyrics!), but at the end of the day it would have to be Bowie for going back further with me, and meaning more to me across the whole span of my life, and for having high points that Costello can't match. At this moment, no-one's career can impress me more as a whole than Dylan's, but that's a newer thing.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

For me, yes. When I finally snapped and realized that I was destined to be an Elvis fan, I just went full throttle.

I do go for periods without listening, but never more than a week or two. I just cranked up KOA again and I just get lost in those words and melodies.
bobster

Post by bobster »

crash8_durham wrote:I am assuming this is an opinion question. If that is the case then Yes definately.
:D

For a second there I thought Crash8 actually meant the band "Yes", to which I could only say, "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" But, thankfully, you don't. (Though I do sorta like that "let me go rondelay" song or whateverthehell it is...never bothered to find out the title)

Anyhow, as for me...Yes. It's funny because I hate (but secretly love in a hateful sort of way) lists and ranks and if this were about films, filmmakers, favorite albums, etc., my head would explode before choosing a permanent favorite.

But when it comes to music, it's easy for me to name EC as my all time favorite musician...I think mainly because for me the song itself will always be king and because EC's music partakes of nearly all of my other musical favorites -- from the Beatles and Bacharach to garagey punk-pop and back to Soul/R&B to and a bit of country pop from back when that wasn't a bad thing (think "Harper Valley PTA") -- so it's kind of one-stop shopping for me.

And "This Year's Model" basically tore me a new mental orifice at a vulnerable age, for which I'll be eternally grateful. And he was the first rock star to be dubbed an "avenging nerd." There's a Woody Allen connection in there somewhere.

Still, it's close. "The Beatles" are always there for me, as the first ever rock band I deigned to give a listen, back when I was a 10 year old old-fogey rock hater.

Stevie Wonder as well as the most of the other great Motown songwriters (particularly Barrett Strong and his partner, who's name escapes me right now).

Loves me them standards guys -- Cole Porter, Rodgers & Hart (but not Rodgers & Hammerstein!!!!), Gershwin...Kurt Weil's (and Bertolt Brechts) "Threepenny Opera" performed a function almost as earth-shattering for me as "

And, while I'm still catching up on their albums, Steely Dan and, of course, Randy Newman. And Nick Lowe, who is my own personal Moses of Cool.

And then there are the favorite albums, the "Pet Sounds" and "London Callings" and "Squeezing out Sparks" and "Highway 64 Revisiteds" from artists that I admire almost as much but with less consistency.

Elvis is most definitely not my favorite singer. That's gotta be Ella, with honorable mention to Frank and while I don't often buy her albums (because the songs ain't usually that great), K.D. Lang.

Best live shows I've ever seen were all Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band.

However, the Attractions/Imposters are defintely my favorite back-up band.

Still, I hope to never be too set in stone about anything. I try to be open to new stuff -- which includes the risk of having to dislodge old favorites. So who knows what I'll think in ten years.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

And Nick Lowe, who is my own personal Moses of Cool.

I *love* this man. :D
Like me, the "g" is silent.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

bobster wrote:[I hope to never be too set in stone about anything. I try to be open to new stuff -- which includes the risk of having to dislodge old favorites. So who knows what I'll think in ten years.
Amen, brother. If I ever get to the point where I know what I'm going to think in even ONE year, please take me out back and shoot me.

PS, is "London Callings" about punks with a vocation or something? Sounds interesting. :wink:
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

EC is in my top 20 somewhere.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Bobster wrote
"For a second there I thought Crash8 actually meant the band "Yes", to which I could only say, "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" But, thankfully, you don't. (Though I do sorta like that "let me go rondelay" song or whateverthehell it is...never bothered to find out the title) "

Sorry about the confusion. I am very happy that you figured that one out. This did however remind me of how many people thought Yes was a new act in 1984 when I was in high school.
hollyh

Post by hollyh »

Just joined this board so I'm chiming in late.

I can't say Elvis is my Number 1; that spot is reserved for Nick Lowe, who walks on water in my book. I would do anything, yes anything, for this man.

After Nick would have to come Ray Davies (lead singer of the Kinks for those of you who are scratching your heads), and I'm shocked that no one else here has mentioned him, because he's the most brilliant songwriter England has ever produced -- one great album after another for 30 some years now. He's got the same punny, snarky attitude as Elvis, the same talent for making a song into a short story. If you all don't listen to the Kinks you should. Most Kinks fans appreciate Elvis and it should work vice versa.

After that, John Hiatt, who has this great R & B voice and writes songs that are sheer poetry -- he and Nick have worked together often in the past -- when John started out in the early 1970s he was touted as "The American Elvis Costello" (a kiss of death) and they have a lot in common and you should all give him a listen too.

Elvis comes close behind. Yeah, he's pissed me off a few times since 1977, but I always go back to him. i love the guy like crazy. Glad to find all you kindred souls.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

hollyh wrote:Just joined this board so I'm chiming in late.

I can't say Elvis is my Number 1; that spot is reserved for Nick Lowe, who walks on water in my book. I would do anything, yes anything, for this man.

After Nick would have to come Ray Davies (lead singer of the Kinks for those of you who are scratching your heads), and I'm shocked that no one else here has mentioned him, because he's the most brilliant songwriter England has ever produced -- one great album after another for 30 some years now. He's got the same punny, snarky attitude as Elvis, the same talent for making a song into a short story. If you all don't listen to the Kinks you should. Most Kinks fans appreciate Elvis and it should work vice versa.

After that, John Hiatt, who has this great R & B voice and writes songs that are sheer poetry -- he and Nick have worked together often in the past -- when John started out in the early 1970s he was touted as "The American Elvis Costello" (a kiss of death) and they have a lot in common and you should all give him a listen too.

Elvis comes close behind. Yeah, he's pissed me off a few times since 1977, but I always go back to him. i love the guy like crazy. Glad to find all you kindred souls.
Welcome to the board Holly! \o/
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Welcome, and know that as a Nick Lowe, Ray Davies, and John Hiatt fan, you are in good company. Lots of us dig all three.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare