Oliver's Army plays Katrina Benefit 10/9/05

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
legman open to offers

Oliver's Army plays Katrina Benefit 10/9/05

Post by legman open to offers »

Oliver's Army, Elvis Costello tribute band, is slated to play at Hard Rock Cafe Dallas Oct.9. They join other Dallas area tribute bands in Band Together, to benefit Hurricane Katrina victims.

Come out and see OA frontman Noiseradio kick out EC tunes in that superb way that he does!

More on the lineup at:

http://www.tanksleyalves.com/OliversArmy/shows.html

and

http://www.hardrock.com/includes/eventD ... ntID=20804
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Yeah, we'd love to see anyone from the board come out, if you happen to be in the Dallas area on Sunday. Oliver's Army goes on at 3 pm. Come early and see Hard Night's Day. They're a very good Beatles tribute.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I will be there in spirit, noisey
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'd love to be there. Have a great night and I hope you raise heaps of money for the victims.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Thanks pal. Good news: recovered my amp and one of my guitars from our practice space. My Ray Davies tribute group will rise again!
bobster

Post by bobster »

I see where this is all headed...a tribute to tribute bands!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Ray Davies tribute? I want to be in that number.

Glad you rescued some gear. That makes me really happy.

Thanks to Legman for coming out and for the Shinerbock. There was a good turnout, which I hope held up for the second half (nine bands is a long time). I had to leave during the KISS tribute band, DESTROYER's set. They were fun, in all the makeup and with all the moves. But I don't like KISS well enough to fake it that long. Still, they brought a lot of people, and they were super nice guys. So it was all good.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

noiseradio wrote:I had to leave during the KISS tribute band, DESTROYER's set. They were fun, in all the makeup and with all the moves. But I don't like KISS well enough to fake it that long. Still, they brought a lot of people, and they were super nice guys. So it was all good.
That's what I call a tribute band! Betcha don't even bother with the geeky glasses and skinny ties! :wink:
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

Glad it was a good evening.

From the line up

Voodoo Blue - SRV Tribute
A Hard Night's Day - Beatles Tribute
Queen for a Day - Queen Tribute
Bricks in the Wall - Pink Floyd Tribute
Petty Theft - Tom Petty Tribute
Destroyer - KISS Tribute
The Boys Named Sue - Country Tribute
Poison Cherry - 80's Hair Band Tribute
Oliver's Army - Elvis Costello Tribute

there were some pretty diverse tributes and probably not to everyone's taste. I'd love to have been there. How long did each band play for and how much did you all raise?
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Excuse my curiosity (thank God I'm not a cat), but what exactly did "Voodoo Blue - SRV Tribute" play ?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
legman open to offers

invisible Pole wrote:Excuse my curiosity (thank God I'm not a cat), but what exactly did "Voodoo Blue - SRV Tribute" play ?
The late great Stevie Ray Vaughn, who left this world much too young. He was born and raised in Dallas.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
noiseradio wrote:I had to leave during the KISS tribute band, DESTROYER's set. They were fun, in all the makeup and with all the moves. But I don't like KISS well enough to fake it that long. Still, they brought a lot of people, and they were super nice guys. So it was all good.
That's what I call a tribute band! Betcha don't even bother with the geeky glasses and skinny ties! :wink:
I used to wear the geeky glasses, because...well, I wore geeky glasses. But I got LASIK surgery last year, and I don't wear glasses anymore. I'm 6'2" and blonde, so looking like Elvis is hard. I do wear a jacket and tie fairly frequently though.

It was a diverse lineup. I'm pretty sure the KISS fans were eager for us to get off stage. We began "Less Than Zero" and I sang the chorus to "Rock 'N' Roll All Night" as a tease. Then we quit the song before the chorus and launched into "Radio Radio." Felt good. Each band got 45 minutes. I'm not sure how much money was raised, but there was a steady stream of people coming in at $10 a pop. And there weren't any empty tables. So, I hope it made a fortune.
--William Shakespeare
verbal gymnastics

noiseradio wrote:We began "Less Than Zero" and I sang the chorus to "Rock 'N' Roll All Night" as a tease. Then we quit the song before the chorus and launched into "Radio Radio."
Did you say "I'm sorry ladies and gentlemen but there's no reason to play this song" before launching into Radio Radio :wink:

Sounds like a great night. Congratulations to all concerned.
legman open to offers

I had a great time. Got to help with OA's gear (almost like a genuine roadie :D ).

Highlights of the set for me:

Opened with PL&U

Two Little Hitlers

Strict Time

PS... Got to see Noiseradio's younguns. Oh to have that energy! :lol:
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

verbal gymnastics wrote: Did you say "I'm sorry ladies and gentlemen but there's no reason to play this song" before launching into Radio Radio :wink:
I did, actually. Wouldn't dream of leaving that out.
--William Shakespeare
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

So how many hundreds did you make for Katrina victims?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I don't know. There were several hundred in attendance, at $10 a piece. They also sold raffle tickets. Several thousand, anyway.
--William Shakespeare
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Congratulations. I can only imagine the impact that your performance has on your children. What a great lesson. You can do something that you love to do, and bring comfort to others at the same time.

The highest form of prayerful thanks is to use the talents and skills that we are blessed with to aid others. A great act of kindness for your children to experience.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
legman open to offers

Oliver's Army action photo and gallery link from The Hard Rock

http://www.kzps.com/timages/photo/main57.jpg

and

http://www.kzps.com/cc-common/globalphotos.html?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Here's some photos from the Katrina Benefit. The background music is "Get Back," the one original song in Oliver's Army's arsenal. The first few pictures are of the two bands that played before us, Hard Night's Day (Beatles tribute) and Petty Theft (Tom Petty tribute).

http://michaelalves.spymac.com/hardrock/index.html
--William Shakespeare
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Nice pics, Noise. Good on you guys for doing that. Wish I could have been there.