HBO's Deadwood - Any fans?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
El Vez

HBO's Deadwood - Any fans?

Post by El Vez »

I know that Bobster and Pip are both into this show and I was curious as to whether or not any other board members happen to be Al Swearengen fans.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I've tried, but I missed the first season and now I feel lost. May have to just rent the DVDs and try to get into it that way, becuase a lot of people whose opinions I respect are big fans of the show.

Useless piece of "Deadwood" trivia:

Ian McShane's father, Harry McShane, played for Manchester United.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bobster

Post by bobster »

Sam -- I also tried to pick up with it in season 2 and experienced the same symptoms. Renting the DVDs is the only cure! (As it turns out, because I'm such a purist, I'll be renting the Season 2 DVDs as well -- the shows that were taped on my DVR were not letterboxed!!!)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I have the first season on DVD - loved the first half of the season - liked the second half. I'll buy the second season when it comes out. The extras and commentary reveal that the actors and creator are full of themselves. Shocking!

It was great to see Brad Dourff (spelling?) back in action (you can still see the Billy Bibbitt in him) - he was in a terrific John Huston film - Wiseblood (based on the Flannery O'Connor book).
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Douriff was/is astounding as Doc. His breakdown at the end of season one, which had been built up episode by episode was shattering and I loved the little grace note w/ Jewel (not THAT Jewel!)

Big Molly Parker fan and I think it's pretty cool to compare and contrast how perfectly she inhabits that character versus the one she nailed in The Center of The World.

Keith Carradine did kinda come off a little insufferable in the commentary, didn't he? McShane and Olyphant were more interested in cracking each other up but I did like Douriff and Weigert (Calamity Jane) just because they take me back to my undergrad acting class days with all their talk of finding the character's spine, playing intention and all that.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I only listened to part of the Dourif/Weigert commentary. Moderately interesting, but I always find it amusing how actors tend to spend so much time praising each other on these things -- not that all of the actors on this particular show don't all deserve praise but it's like a requirement.

No surprise if K. Carradine might come off as bit of an actor with a capital A -- anyone who ever heard his dad talk might understand. Somehow, the British are better at pulling off this sort of thing. If you listen to one of Christopher Lee's edifying and charmingly self-important commentaries you'll know what I'm talking about.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Deadwood, South Dakota, is a pretty cool town! 8)
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

LOVE Deadwood. Only seen the first season on DVD. I think they play it on tv here, so I will have to try and figure out when it's on. Only watched the McShane/Oliphant commentary, because I usually find the commentaries are boring and detract from my ability to suspend my disbelief. McShane totally wiped the floor with Oliphant, who came off as kind of dumb. Now I have to forget that before I can enjoy the show as much as I did before.

In conclusion:
Deadwood- good
DVD commentary- bad
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I just cannot afford the jump to HBO, so I've missed out on a lots of fantastic stuff. I want to watch all of the Sopranos, all of Six Feet Under, and Deadwood also. Which should I do first??
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:I just cannot afford the jump to HBO, so I've missed out on a lots of fantastic stuff. I want to watch all of the Sopranos, all of Six Feet Under, and Deadwood also. Which should I do first??
My vote goes to "Six Feet Under".
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Starting with Deadwood might be more manageable.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

miss buenos aires wrote:Starting with Deadwood might be more manageable.
Eh, manageable, schmanageable, I'm single. :) But thanks for your suggestions!
libster

Post by libster »

Deadwood makes me sad because it drove Carnivale out of business. Or so we believe. :cry:
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Somebody loved me enough to give me the complete first season for my birthday. I watched all 12 episodes in a single weekend. Such a good show. All the characters are great, but I love Al. Just cant help myself ...

I tried to watch the commentaries but just couldnt do it ...
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Great to see you back on the board, Pip!