GOSSIP

Pretty self-explanatory
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

blah blah blah
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Mary Coughlan duets with EC on 'Mischievous Ghost'.

All this could be DK's doing, you know. That's no excuse for Elvis to, ahem, rise to the bait of course. But the whole episode, if proven to be true, does leave a nasty taste in one's mouth.

....Give me temptation.
Gillibeanz wrote:Elvis's music has got nothing to do with his private life

Listen to 'North' and you'll hear it does. I'd go as far as to say listen to ALL his albums and you'll find it does.

Okay, we can all stop dissecting now.
Pov

Post by Pov »

I think it's wrong to assume that North is intended to be autobiographical in any way. It may have been inspired by the recent events in his life, but to look at it as his attempt to tell his side of the "story" is a mistake. While he has said that the lyrics on this album are more "direct," I've never seen any published statement where he said "this is the story of my breakup with Cait and finding Diana."

When sitting down to write these songs, he obviously looked at things from the "dumpee's" perspective, but that doesn't mean that he was trying to tell the world that he, personally, was somehow wronged.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I agree Pov.

His songs don't have to be autobiographical. He often writes using the perspective of somebody else. If all his songs were personal songs we'd have a completely different view of him wouldn't we? And we wouldn't be having these discussions as we'd know everything we want and don't want to know.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

I really couldn't resist

Post by mood swung »

Elvis Costello wrote in the last paragraph to the Rhino reissue of B&C:
Having said all of this, the year I made this record was also the year of my marriage to Cait O'Riordan. There were a lot of things that I wouldn't have to do again. Like messing up my life just so I could write stupid little songs about it.
:roll:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Its obvious every song writer draws from his or her experience of life - but that doesnt mean things they write about are actually their own personal view or whats actually happened to them. :roll:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
IStandAccused

Good points

Post by IStandAccused »

**You have all made very good points. Blue Chair and the lot of you. I think it is just we expect more from Elvis, thats all. He has always made a point of trying to represent the "anti Jagger" kind of stance. He has always lambasted anyone who does what he is doing and has done. That said, he is human but it appears to be a "pattern" of behavior. All I can say is that Cait was not cheating- she and Elvis went everywhere together. She was only 19 years old when they met. He was her life. It may be his private life but he is a public person and his life is there for all to embrace. He has made this particular relationship very public which I can only assume must be very difficult for Cait. I have heard the same reports about Cait's "condition" from many sources- not just Mary- whom by the way knows these people very well. On a final note, Elvis cannot say some of the things he says and not expect the subjects to speak up and defend themselves and or tell their side of the story. He tells his by dismissing theirs and that only invites the subject to come forward. He may get the last word or the larger audience because he is famous but the truth usually lies somewhere in between. As for Bruce's book? I think Elvis will be the first to admit his behavior sometimes during those drug and drink years was less than attractive. He will not be the first nor will he be the last famous person who gets his behavior called out or had a book written about them.

-quote="Gillibeanz"]Its obvious every song writer draws from his or her experience of life - but that doesnt mean things they write about are actually their own personal view or whats actually happened to them. :roll:[/quote]
Last edited by IStandAccused on Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
whtesde

Re: Honesty not his strong point

Post by whtesde »

From many, many posts ago,
IStandAccused wrote:Thats all I have to say on the matter.
...I guess it wasn't. :lol:
IStandAccused

Dear Lord!!

Post by IStandAccused »

No, Gilli dear- and I agree with you. I adore Mr. Costello's music and I think it is a shame what has happened in his marriage. I don't want to take this to the "dark" place. I have an opinion and so do many of the other members of this forum. No harm intended. And yes, he does have a right to a private life but this time he has put his private life all over the newspapers and such. It is no different than when one discusses any pop star's love life. My point is that he is displaying typical "pop star" behavior. That does not take away from his genius or his talent. But really, calling the record "North" when your fiancee is from Canada would point in the direction of "autobio". I just feel very sorry for Cait to have to go through this. I really enjoy your posts on here and all the other boards too. You are delightful and I certainly don't want to argue.

Gillibeanz wrote:ISTANDACCUSED: Elvis is a public person - but only when he is on stage or doing an interview- he has a right to a private life the same as everyone else! Where do you get all this insight from - is your name Bebe or one of her cronies by any chance? :?
Last edited by IStandAccused on Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gillibeanz

Re: Good points

Post by Gillibeanz »

IStandAccused wrote:It may be his private life but he is a public person and his life is there for all to embrace.
Elvis may be a public person but only while he is working. Outside of work he is entitled to a private life the same as everyone else! Where do you get all this insight from? Is your name Bebe or one of her cronies by any chance? :?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
IStandAccused

Re: Good points

Post by IStandAccused »

Gilli, you seem to be the ONLY person on here mentioning a certain someone. I highly doubt any "threads" will result. Where do I get all my insight? I do know some of the parties involved.
Gillibeanz wrote:
IStandAccused wrote:It may be his private life but he is a public person and his life is there for all to embrace.
Elvis may be a public person but only while he is working. Outside of work he is entitled to a private life the same as everyone else! Where do you get all this insight from? Is your name Bebe or one of her cronies by any chance? :?
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

"Give in to lust, give in to lust, oh heaven knows we'll soon be dust . . ."

Ive always liked music where, whether its true or not, the artist appears to be telling their own story, and feeling all the things that they present, kind of an empathy thing I guess. Its hard not to be curious about the personal lives of the people you like, but ultimately its none of our business. And whether he's a saint or a normal, selfish human being, its the songs he writes, and the way he presents his perspective on the world that has always appealed to me, and thats pretty constant no matter whats going on for him personally.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

costellopunk wrote:i don't know what really happened between them but i gotta tell you it really sucks being the last to know that you're getting dumped.
I don't think the idea is that Cait found out from the newspaper that she was getting dumped... Coughlan's claim is that she found out about the "someone else" from the newspaper. The gossip columns didn't start writing about Elvis and Diana until after Elvis and Cait's separation had already been announced publicly.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Exactly, Table! As a matter of fact, while we know that Elvis and Diana had met before the the disolution of Elvis' marriage to Cait, there is no proof that an affair had begun until after the separation was made public.
Sour Milk Cow

Post by Sour Milk Cow »

Those who are claiming that NORTH is not autobiographical-- have you HEARD the album? :)

I would say exhibit A would be the song "NORTH" which is all about moving to Canada. I know, I know, maybe Costello was struck with the inspiration to create a fictional character who is moving to Canada!

But then, when asked why he called the album "North" he answers: "That's where I'm headed." So, that pretty much clears that up.

I know that many of his songs in the past have come from his experience. "Rocking Horse Road", for instance, he has pretty much said is about his first marriage, and how he could have stayed in a suburban family life instead of going off and touring the world. "When I Was Cruel" number one AND two are both pretty much about his own life. "45" is the most clear-cut example of him writing a song that is from HIS personal point of view rather than some invented narrator.

I don't have a problem with this style. In fact, I like it. It's one of the things that makes this new album different. He's never written from his own life so directly before, and I think we'll see in interviews about NORTH that it is a very personal album. Even the latest ICE magazine has a representative from the record label going on about how it's his most personal album to date. If these were just more songs of invented heartbreak, how would it be more personal than PAINTED FROM MEMORY? Or IMPERIAL BEDROOM? The autobiography is what sets this one apart from those.
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

I still think he's secretly gay... :twisted:
HungupStrungup

. . . . and then the beard might have been a clue

Post by HungupStrungup »

cbartal wrote:I still think he's secretly gay... :twisted:
The multiple marriages are a clear sign he's overcompensating.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
the poisoner

Post by the poisoner »

if cait found out in any way shape or form from anybody/thing other than elvis that is wrong. it takes balls to admit it outright than to let it be found out.
that is just my opinion on this matter in general. it would not matter if the 'cheater' was famous or not. it has to do with respect. marriage should have a modicum of 'respect' in it. the person being cheated on does not need to be made foolish to boot.
on the other hand , whether the 'story' is true or not is immaterial. as far as elvis' personal it is none of my business. it is not like we are chums or anything.
i do not know if liking elvis is his intent in making records but it is not my intent in buying them.
my heart goes out to caitlin and i do hope it was a more honorable seperation on elvis' part but nonetheless....
oh, i useta be disgusted
now i try to be amused
cbartal

Re: . . . . and then the beard might have been a clue

Post by cbartal »

HungupStrungup wrote:
cbartal wrote:I still think he's secretly gay... :twisted:
The multiple marriages are a clear sign he's overcompensating.
... not to mention how sharp he's been dressing lately.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Cait is to Blood & Chocolate as Diana is to North. Which would you rather experience?

Shit happens, usually for a reason.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I think when posters on this board start saying "I know some of the parties involved" that red flags ought to go up all around. We've heard that refrain before, and it has always been a Bebe-ite.

I Stand Accused, you stand accused.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
laughingcrow

why do we care?

Post by laughingcrow »

Lets be honest, is this really going to affect us buying his music? So people have affairs, relationships break up, but life goes on and noones died! It doesnt make the bloke a bad person.

If your not happy, you don't have affairs. And people should strive toward happiness rather than live lies....

Good luck Mr C (and on the behalf of all red blooded men, well done with Diana, bet you were surprised you still had it).

:twisted:
girl out of time

some ramdom thoughts

Post by girl out of time »

.......some ramdom thoughts.......

1) as woody allen once said " it´s better to be the one who has been dumped than the one who has left......."
2) i think art reveals more than we think it does.....when it comes to costello´s music i think he has always poured a great deal of himself and his life into his songs: at least that is my humble interpretation on some of my favourite songs: riot act, deep dark truthful mirror and many more.
....i used to listen to some of the songs that he has writen in the past few years (such as when i was cruel n° 1, suspect my tears, burnt sugar is so bitter, you lie sweetly, alibi, and, most recently, half the songs in north) and thought to myself that there was something terribly wrong in this guy´s marital life (15 petals might be the one exception)...then again he has always writen lyrics like that.....it was more of a feeling than anything....can´t quite explain but that is what i made out of such songs.......and then we heard about his divorce and new fiancee, lots of media exposure, bla, bla bla.....
3) in any case, the dirty details on his personal life don´t really affect the way i listen to his music.....is hard to form an opinion on anyone when the only access to that person´s life is through media......(it is not serious enough)
4) there are many ways to interpret art: that´s the beauty of it!
5) the one thing that really annoys me is this sudden rock-star behauvior that he has displayed while being with Krall.......I don´t like it at all! Plus I don´t really like her.....

6) elvis, ya dog, i love your songs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
bobster

Post by bobster »

Gee, gotta wonder if the "rock star behavior" (well, more like media whoring, but in a nice way) has anything to do with the need for alimony bucks....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I like EC's increased "Rock Star" visability: going to awards, wearing suits...etc. ....Mainly because he's a rock star.... on a very superficial level (and I don't really want to get into a lot of this) he does seem very very happy - big ol' shit-eating grin these days...

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu