Two Elvis Questions from a relatively new fan

Pretty self-explanatory
Dor

Two Elvis Questions from a relatively new fan

Post by Dor »

Hi guys! I've liked Elvis a lot for about six years, but I just recently saw him live for the first time (Las Vegas a few weeks ago) and now I'm definitely obsessed :) :)

I had a couple of questions.

1) Has he EVER performed the song Satellite live in concert?

2) What is Hoover Factory about?

Sorry if these are dumb questions... :)

Dor
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Hi Dor, I was at the Vegas concert too, all the way from Scotland..cracking show!

Hoover Factory is about an art-deco building in London built by Wallis Gilbert and Partners in the 30's... it's architectural landmark thae I guess EC liked so much he wrote a song about it...though now there is a supermarket inside it!

see it here...

http://www.elviscostello.info/pic/other ... ctory.html

As to whether he's performed Satellite in concert...I dunno, I suppose he would have on the Spike tour...you might wanna wade through this great site's concert info...

http://www.elviscostello.info/concert.html
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Hoover Factory is about an art-deco building in London...
Oh, LC, the clue is in the lyrics: "Five miles out of London on the Western Avenue" :wink: .

Would it be in Middlesex, then? Doofster, you've been.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

lol...yeah, well I suppose as far as Im concerned London spreads its vicious tentacles all the way to Souffend on Sea.
A rope leash

What do it do?

Post by A rope leash »

Did they make vacuum cleaners there?

I don't know if he's ever done Satellite live, but he SHOULD!.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I was excited by the challenge of the setlist question, so trawled through every setlist from 1989 for years, and couldn't find it, though the setlists on the 'ecinfo' site from back then are very few and far between. No evidence I saw of it ever being included. And I know he didn't play it at all on the 2002 tour. Can any of the serious bootlegmeisters let us know?

God knows if the HF is in Middlesex or still Greater London. I'd guess at the latter. I like to think I saw it from the train once. maaybe he should do Hoover Factory 2003 with a new verse on the irony of it now being Tesco's. It must have been a place where they made vacuum cleaners.

I've always loved the juxtaposition of admiring this fine building, with its echoes of ancient civilisations, and the throwaway existentialism of 'What does it matter if I take another breath, who cares?' etc. It's a great song isn't it. And now I have it on CD at last - both the original it seems on the get Happy!! bonus and an alternate on Trust bonus. Groovidacious.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Actually, I think the 'original' Hoover Factory has been tampered with a bit on the new Get Happy release. The backing vocals are different at the end, I swear!
Otis Westinghouse

I'm still on CD1 right now, but have just reads this in the booklet: 'HF is an ode to a splendid building that I used to pass on my bus route to work in the mid-70s. The facade still stands today although the building houses a supermarket.'
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I think I'll stick my neck out and say authoritatively what everybody else has been afraid to say in this thread: Yes, Hoover used to own the building and they made vaccum cleaners in the "Hoover Factory". I saw it a few times going overground to Heathrow. When EC wrote the song in the 70's it was being threatened with demolition.

I'm writing a song about James Dyson's House.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
A rope leash

No shame

Post by A rope leash »

Hoover makes some of the finest vaccum cleaners in the world. They really suck!

Was it originally built by Hoover as a factory? One of these days it's going to be all the rage in those fashionable pages. Is that happening yet?
Dor

Post by Dor »

THanks for all the replies, guys!!

I have to tell you -- I downloaded this song (purchased the CD but it hasn't come yet) and I just LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

My favorite singer, Tori Amos, supposedly recorded it for release on her covers CD Strange Little Girls but then didn't end up including it on there. I'm going to ask her to play it at a concert coming up. Let's see if she actually does it. I hope so.

The song is so simple and cute and good. His voice is amazing on it.

What other songs of Elvis' can you guys think of that are fun and simple and sort of light-hearted like this?

I only have um.. Spike, Punch the Clock, and When I Was Cruel. Of course I also have the Greatest Hits single CD (had the double CD but lent it to Tori when I was bugging her to do a cover of She in 2001 in concert). What is the next CD I should get?

Dor
Danny

Post by Danny »

Dor, you've got to get Blood and Chocolate, Trust, This Year's Model and Brutal Youth.

Then the rest.

But don't get Kojak Variety, Goodbye Cruel World, Juliet Letters or Painted From Memory until last - these are ones that'll put you off if you get them too early in your Costello quest!!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Dor - Try Sunday's Best which is on Armed Forces. By the way Armed Forces should be the next one you get imo.
signed with love and vicious kisses
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Dor wrote:I only have um.. Spike, Punch the Clock, and When I Was Cruel.
Ouch. Spike and PTC are dodgy starting points for your inevitable EC obsession. Just think of all the goodies yet to come! I'll say get 'Get Happy' next only because it's my new favourite EC LP. But if you want to play it really safe then make This Year's Model your next purchase.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I've gotta put my two cents in here Dor....Believe me, I've been listening to Elvis since 1981..Get yourself Get Happy and Imperial Bedroom. Don't listen to that other jive. (although the mention of Armed Forces was a good one!)
Otis Westinghouse

The Get Happy!! resissue is doing it for me too. Playing it last night it hit me again, and this morning with all 20 songs in my head at once, that this is simply one of the best records ever.

No-one mentioned All The Useless Beauty. I think you'll like that.

So is Tori your mate then?
Dor

Post by Dor »

Okay, this is great! Thank you for the recommendations guys! I do have ARmed Forces but I haven't listened to it yet 'cause I'm still getting to know When I Was Cruel.

Tori and I ... we aren't like good friends, just, I'm a big fan and I go to almost all of her shows (over 200 to date) so she knows who I am and we talk sometimes backstage or whatever. And like, last year I asked her to cover Tiny Dancer by Elton John and she did and it was beautiful.

Once I asked her to cover She and she tried but said it was too difficult. She sang two lines onstage and then stopped!!

Dor
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Forget When I Was Cruel for now. Armed Forces is much better! :D

Though I would definitely go for Get Happy!! and Imperial Bedroom next.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

jeeez Blue Chair..that is probably the first time in history anyone is in agreement with me on this board....!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Dor - ". And like, last year I asked her to cover Tiny Dancer by Elton John and she did and it was beautiful.

Once I asked her to cover She and she tried but said it was too difficult. She sang two lines onstage and then stopped!! "

Right everybody, what song shall we ask Dor to ask Tori Amos to cover?!
Perhaps we could get Elvis to cover Professional Widow! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Danny - "But don't get Kojak Variety, Goodbye Cruel World, Juliet Letters or Painted From Memory until last - these are ones that'll put you off if you get them too early in your Costello quest!!"

Let's just add "For the Stars" to that one! And "Deep Dead Blue"

Dor - When you get My Aim Is True, This Year's Model, Armed Forces, Get Happy!!, Trust, Imperial Bedroom, Spike, All This Useless Beauty, Brutal Youth etc etc MAKE SURE YOU GET THE EXPANDED TWO CD SETS! Everybody on this Board will accept no less!!!

And welcome to the Board by the way. Hope you have as much fun as we do!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
the poisoner

Post by the poisoner »

the consensus is basically start early and work your way through.
ithink that will give the best idea of his music.
skipping 'g'bye cruel world' would not hurt. it's an acquired taste. you get that and 'for the stars' when you just gotta have more.

don't listen to the others, i actually like punch the clock. it starts out great with 'let them all talk' and then just make sure you go fix yourself a sandwich during 'everyday i write the book' (or is it not the only flame in town'? (both so lame i cannot keep them straight)) and 'shipbuilding' which i find soooo boring.
if you like more ballad-y stuff go for 'painted from memory' it's a slower album and sometimes that just suits.
and since i am thinking it 'juliet letters' is way under-rated. very few 'rock' musicians could pull that off. i think that is a credit to the man. add in the fact that 'who do you think you are?' should be remembered as a classic, you have a fine hour of music to look forward to there.
oh, i useta be disgusted
now i try to be amused