Your Own Personal Beard Years

Pretty self-explanatory
Mike Boom

Your Own Personal Beard Years

Post by Mike Boom »

As I seem to be going through my own personal "Beard Years" I wondered what about you lot?

Personally I loved the beard years - Mighty Like a Rose is a masterpiece that doesnt get its dues in my book. Hell, I even love Broken - I really and honestly dont understand why people hate that track.

So, anyway - I thought the "beard years" did a great job of weining out those who thought of Elvis as just the geek/new wave/songwriter - and having had a beard for the last 5 years or so and being a bit of a loner - I wonder if you too have been through an "outkast/beard years/hermit stage in you life?Locked up in your room with your books and your CD's.

Post now your stories of Brian Wilson like hermitage in your bedroom !

Draw the drapes and tell us your Weird Beard tales!!
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

This post makes no sense whatever really does it?
:lol:
A rope leash

Beard bread

Post by A rope leash »

During this time I moved to Nebraska, and discovered what lonliness is all about.

I've tried, but I can't get past the fuzzy stage of a beard. The nicely trimmed one Elvis is wearing in the "king" photo is much better than the Mighty Like a Rose version. O well, we all have our episodes.

So Like Candy should have been , like, a major radio hit, and it would have been, if they had only put it into heavy play rotation, like, say, Jeremey.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I think that King Of America where the original Beard Years.....just look at the icon above you! ha ha ha...(hate to be a dick, but can't help it)
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I think I just came out of my 'beard years'. I hope so anyway! 8)
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I think I spent what should have been my beard years being way too optimistic and happy. Now I wish I had done some beard years, but it's just not a good time for them - raising the kids and all.

Hard to be a soccer mom while going through the beard years.

Maybe in a few more years I'll find the time to mope and whine.
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Believe I'm in the midst of mine now...well, substitute room/cds/books for bars/alcohol and you're on. Can be alone in the biggest crowd of friends sometimes.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

from last october until probably this july i went through my beard most of a year. it got too damn hot for the thing. plus i've almost cheered up a bit. what i got outta ec's beard years was that he was just so pissed at everything that he wanted to look like he just didn't give a fuck.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

spooky girlfriend wrote:I think I spent what should have been my beard years being way too optimistic and happy. Now I wish I had done some beard years, but it's just not a good time for them - raising the kids and all.
i don't know. maybe they're not necessary for everybody. you seem pretty well-adjusted. is it a front you put on for the board? you do it so well.

i had three sets of beard years - teenage beard, college beard, and post divorce/life fell apart beard. mmmm. they seem to correspond to periods of depression. i can't grow a real beard, so i get depressed and wallow instead? pissed at the universe, pissed at me, everything sucks. sounds beardy to me.

don't really like beards. not fun for smooching, at least in my somewhat limited experience. :)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Nah, Poppet. What you see is what you get. :) I just always hung out with the drama majors in college and they were dark and wore long, dark coats - even in the summer, and they seemed so unadjusted, but interesting. I couldn't be dark if I tried. Perhaps since it's seemingly unattainable for me is why I think it's interesting. :?
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

those people in the long black coats? we called them PIB's - people in black. they were my buds in college too, but i always was 'bright side girlie', except for that year or so of beard during college. i could be dark, but it's painful. don't like pain.

though every now and then i yearn for a blue streak in my hair. and a tattoo. :twisted:
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
bobster

Post by bobster »

Well, I'm probably in my figurative beard year right about now, though it's more like "keeping the fashionable razor stubble" year, to be more precise. No big drama (which may be the problem, in a way), but too many rented DVDs, web surfing and not enough job searching. Actually, my beard grows in at Homer Simpson-ish speeds, so the shaving every few days thing kinds of works for me.

When I actually had a beard for a year or two in my early twenties, I was actually fairly sociable. Finally shaved it because (as in the line from "Unforgiven"), I got tired of tasting yesterday's food in it. Otherwise, don't regret it. (One thing you learn about growing a beard. You get compliments when you grow and compliments when you shave it off.)

What I'm REALLY embarrassed about, though, is my moustache year. Boy, was that ill-considered.

RE: Elvis's beard. Love MLAR, not at all crazy about the look (I tried/try not to think about it). My personal theory was that this was the start of one of EC's big weight gains. By cleverly growing his hair and beard to outsize proportions everyone talked about that, ignoring the fact he'd gained 20 or 30 pounds.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I would say my beard years were middle school/most of high school. With maybe a bit of reprise . . . right now.

Luckily, I didnt have an actual beard, or Im sure things would have been much much worse . . .
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I'm in my BEARDED CLAM years.......
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Copenhagen Fan wrote:I'm in my BEARDED CLAM years.......
That took you over 14 posts - you must be slowing down in your old age!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Im failing miserablly to grow a beard and am thinking of trying steriods to help. Failing that im going to buy a false one which will save me shaving and having to wait for it to grow back when im in a beard mood... :lol:

Seriously my partner often sports either stubble moustache beard or clean shaven depending on his mood. i love them all - its like having a different man in my life!! :twisted:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Gillibeanz wrote: i love them all - its like having a different man in my life!! :twisted:
Don't say things like that with Copenhagen Fan around!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
the poisoner

Post by the poisoner »

i've been bearded (beard /goatee) more than half my life.
had a moustache since the ninth grade (okok. i thought of it is a 'moustache' back then). cannot go without the moustache.

the facial hair stays.
the hair on top has been middle of the back to now, shaven.
lot of the 'now' was not on purpose
oh, i useta be disgusted
now i try to be amused
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

I've been growing a little goatee of silver hairs on a little wart looking thing. Hope no one was having their brekkie and reading this.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Do you stroke it during pensive moments? :)
signed with love and vicious kisses
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

ugh
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I got a soul patch
lipstickvogue

Post by lipstickvogue »

Many beard years here on and off - one under the visual guise of a mohawk year (oh to be that young, semi-obnoxious and anti-social girl again).
Most recently I had a beard year when I moved into the house I had lived in as a child; much different to live there sans the fam.
"This is the place I made my past mistakes. This is the place even the angels don't understand... She sits alone apart from the crowd in the white dress she wears like a question mark."
I had to move out and shave off that beard last March.
I have since found a boy with a beard to love.
it's always another day after twelve o'clock's struck