Katrina

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

El Vez wrote:I wind up buying a copy of Michael McDonald's Motown.

Don't even joke about something like that. It's in poor taste.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
bobster

Post by bobster »

Wise words.

But I keep thinking of the time Descartes walked into a restaurant and the waiter suggested he order the very delicious French Onion soup that night.

"I think not," said Descartes, and immediately dissappeared.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Bush père et fils helping out in New Orleans:

and another...

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Oh, and Mr. Average, in case more proof was needed, this article includes a few bits of information that Miss B.A.'s link didn't include:

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=52607

Particularly: "Canadian universities are opening their doors to American students. For instance, McGill University is admitting freshman students from Tulane University in New Orleans into its regular undergraduate program, where feasible, until Sept. 13. Foreign Affairs Canada is talking with the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada and the Association of Community Colleges of Canada about what Canadians can offer to assist affected higher learning institutions, their students, and faculties."
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

More, you ask?

Bush thanks Canada for helping

CANADIAN PRESS

WASHINGTON — President George W. Bush offered thanks to Canada and other countries today for their "outpouring of compassion" and substantial relief for the countless victims of hurricane Katrina along the U.S. Gulf Coast.

"In this time of struggle, the American people need to know we're not struggling alone," the president said in an address. "I want to thank the world community for its prayers and for the offers of assistance that have come from all around the world."

Bush mentioned the Canadian contribution: "Canada has sent ships with disaster supplies. Air Canada's planes assisted in the evacuation."

He also listed the aid offered by a host of other countries, the rich as well as the impoverished ones.

"In all, more than 100 countries have stepped forward with offers of assistance, and additional pledges of support are coming in every day," Bush said.

"To every nation and every province and every local community across the globe that is standing with the American people and with those who hurt on the Gulf Coast, our entire nation thanks you for your support."
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Jordan and Rob have a new girl in their class from the coast. They have tried to be very nice to her since she started a couple of days ago, especially since they go to a small school.

Justin also has a new girl in his class from the coast. He told me after school yesterday that he had talked to her about the storm. She told him that her family found their refrigerator in a tree after the storm.

Jessica is helping throw a birthday party for a new girl in her school from the coast. Her aunt is a teacher at the high school, so that's why she came to Huntsville. Even though the kids at school have only known her a couple of days, they were all taking birthday presents to her today.

I'm glad my kids are finding ways to help.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Good to hear spooky.

Bush has sent Brownie back to Washington so he can do a heck of a job there. Can you say scapegoat?
bobster

Post by bobster »

More of a scape-horse-breeder, in this case (or scape-college-roomie-of-the-guy-who-had-the-job-prior).

In any case, people may remember just where the buck actually stops. According to the latest AP/Ipsos poll, Bush's approval numbers have just ducked below the magic 40 and are now at 39%. The most telling number is that while 40% of the population now "strongly dissapproves" of Bush's job performance, only 20% "strongly approve" (I guess Bush just had them at "Howdy!"), with the remaining 19% either "somewhat approving" or "leaning toward approval."

Karl "Loose Lips" Rove really has his work cut out for him this time. Wonder what he'll leak this time. Maybe he'll do a push poll asking , "Would you react negatively if you heard that Hurrikane Katrina was having a lesbian liaison with the Dixie Chicks?"
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Mr A. Even if you interpret ME as anything along the lines of a representative of the general attitudo of Canadians, that woould be agood tihng. Because me and my family have donated a hell of alot to almost every charity and especially now. In fact, my folks are having a garage sale right now. SO please, I don't know why you made me the Ambassador, but even if you do that would be a good thing for Canada during this time of great suffering. My country's prime minister probably did more than your president, even though I think they are both idiots.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
little martinet

Post by little martinet »

That is so nice, spooky! I was thinking about all the kids affected by Katrina the other night. When you're a child, your friends can be your entire world. Imagine starting the school year in a new school, new state, and maybe not having any idea where your best friends are (on top of losing everything you have). It breaks my heart.

on a lighter note all this CNN watching has led me to develop a lil'crush on that silver fox, Anderson Cooper 8) .
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Yeah, Anderson Cooper was a judge on that Food Channel show the other day, Iron Chef I think it was. He is cute. A little refreshing amongst some of the other reporters.
little martinet

It was interesting when he tore into Sen. Landrieu last week...seems like some of the media are actually getting a backbone, and letting their emotions come out a little. I know reporters are supposed to be objective but I think it would be hard in this situation!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

spooky girlfriend wrote:Yeah, Anderson Cooper was a judge on that Food Channel show the other day, Iron Chef I think it was. He is cute. A little refreshing amongst some of the other reporters.
I'm not crazy about the new Iron Chef but I love the original Japanese show:

Fukui-san? Go!

And Chairman Kaga's introduction where he bites the yellow pepper, set to that ridiculous martial music? Makes me laugh every time.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I don't really like the new version either. They just crapped it up. I don't even know why I landed on that show except that I must have been flipping channels. Just watching too much news is bad for the soul.

By the way - Pophead, your check is - as they say - in the mail. :)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

spooky girlfriend wrote:I don't really like the new version either. They just crapped it up. I don't even know why I landed on that show except that I must have been flipping channels. Just watching too much news is bad for the soul.

By the way - Pophead, your check is - as they say - in the mail. :)
I know we're getting waaaaay off topic here, but Food Network kinda sucks since they got rid of David Rosengarten. His show was boss. The only thing I will tune in for now is Alton Brown on "Good Eats". Rachel Ray makes me want to put a fork in my eye (or hers).
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Rachel Ray is just tits and ass. There is nothing upstairs if you know what I mean. It's nice to hear a guy say what you did because I think they market her to men a lot. She probably knows buttkiss about cooking.

I know, this has nothing to do with Katrina. I guess I'll head back over to Random thoughts with this rant.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:And Chairman Kaga's introduction where he bites the yellow pepper, set to that ridiculous martial music? Makes me laugh every time.
Works for me too. The Japanese have a way of turning enthusiasm into an art form. I always thought it was telling that that was the only segment where they used subtitles, and not voice-over translation.

I think my other favorite thing about the show was how every one seemed to feature an actress at the start of her career, who always seems to love everything. For a change of pace, one rerun I saw recently featured an only slightly ingenuish Julie Dreyfus (Sofie Fatale from "Kill Bill"), who I think provided her own translation.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Not that you should find him less cute or anything, but you may be interested to know that Anderson Cooper is gay. You're still welocome to find him attractive, and I think he's a hell of a reprter/anchor. But, he does, in fact, play for the other team.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

That's fine Noise, and I didn't know that. I'm quite happy where I am, I just notice people. There *are* a lot of cute gay men.

Boy, this thread took a strange turn. . . . .
little martinet

I heard that he was gay...can we get confirmation on this?! Anyway gay or not he's still cuuuute.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Just found this on http://www.nndb.com

Interview with Jerry Falwell, 29 November 2004:

COOPER: But there are a lot of gay families out there, Reverend Falwell, there are a lot of gay families out there. I think there are like a million kids being raised by gay parents who say that if you want to protect families, you know, civil unions will give inheritance rights, will give Social Security, survivor benefits rights to...

FALWELL: Anderson, that's all a red herring. If you want to leave something to your cat, you can do that in your will...

COOPER: It's not a red herring. That's simply not true. It's not true. You know we [emphasis ours] pay taxes.

CNN posted the transcript originally with the "we" as shown, but then altered it after the fact to say "you". Of course, when you do that, the sentence no longer makes sense.

Hmm, the things you learn from sites like this. Did you know that his mother was fashion designer/poet Gloria Vanderbilt?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Anderson Cooper definitely emerged as one of the real good guys in the wake of Katrina. I think his on-air outburst regarding the corpse in the street being eaten by rats sort of perfectly encapsulated the rage that a lot of people feel.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

No way, I did not know that his mom was Gloria Vanderbilt!

When I couldn't take watching any of the other reporters during the storm I would turn and watch him. He added a personal human note that wasn't being reflected in other reporters.

It's just a bad time to be in journalism. Or public relations for that matter. This storm has done bad things to people who need to be noticed.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

BlueChair wrote: Did you know that his mother was fashion designer/poet Gloria Vanderbilt?
I knew his Mum was GV but I steadfastly refuse to believe that she is a poet!

Agree entirely with ElVez about his outburst being a galvanzing moment. That was a much needed bit of truth flash....
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

May I please stress that I think Anderson Cooper is a fine journalist, and that my opinion of him as such is not altered in one way or another by the fact that he's gay. I was merely pointing it out to those who fancied him. Just saying, you know, if the opportunity ever arose, he might not fancy you back. That's all. His coverage was great.
--William Shakespeare