Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis 'cameo' in Talladega Nights , 2006

Post by johnfoyle »

http://winelovnfool.blogspot.com/2005/0 ... place.html

Adam D , a restaraunt manager in Charlotte, North Carolina blogs -

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Celebrities all over the place.

So, this past week we have seen quite a few famous faces.
Such faces include:
Elvis Costello
Sasha Baracohen (ALI G from Da Ali G Show)
Mos Def
Will Ferrell
John C Reilly
Andy Richter
Jane Lynch (Best in Show)
And Michael Clark Duncan (Green Mile)

From what I understand they are all in for a movie shoot. They have all been real nice, and cool to get to know. I think one of the most surreal moments was tonight when Mos Def sat down with Elvis Costello and they started shooting the shit.
Its really made Work seem a bit cooler to go into.
I have kept it professional of course. I may try to get a pic or auto at the end of thier stay. They say they will be here for a few months during the shoot. And of course, ours is one of the best games in town, so of course they will come back and see us. This is a public relations dream come true, to have so many celebs coming in to your place each night.
Its been a crazy weekend and I am ready for a day off.
Time for bed. What a week!
Last edited by johnfoyle on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This movie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0415306/

High, Wide, and Handsome (2006)
Directed by
Adam McKay

Writing credits
Will Ferrell (written by)
Adam McKay (written by)

Cast (in alphabetical order)
Sacha Baron Cohen .... Jean Girard
Gary Cole .... Reese Bobby
Michael Clarke Duncan .... Lucius Washington
Will Ferrell .... Ricky Bobby
David Koechner
John C. Reilly .... Cal Naughton Jr.
bobster

Post by bobster »

The movie's about NASCAR. Wonder how EC fits into that? Haven't actually seen "Anchorman", but it's pretty clear to me that Adam Mckay isn't exactly a neorealist. Stilll, it's an interesting stretch to even have an English person in there -- can't see EC putting on an American accent.

A BBC reporter a la "Nashville"??
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Sounds like a NASCAR spoof. Could be a hoot. Love the names!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

WTF? How did i miss this......i'm an hour and a half away ffs!
"Did you ever think there's far too many people in the world"?
migdd

Post by migdd »

Miss Macbeth wrote:

[/quote]WTF? How did i miss this......i'm an hour and a half away ffs!

Me, too, Miss Macbeth!!! Clover is a mere 40 minutes south of Charlotte and chances are, I've eaten in the very restaurant EC was spotted in. I would have popped a cork if I'd walked in on that day for a bite to eat!!! :lol:
migdd

Post by migdd »

Whoooooops. Really screwed up that last post! :?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

migdd - why didn't you just go back and edit it? :? Or are you trying to increase your number of posts?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

It's okay migdd, I know whatcha' tryin to say......I totally would have went into super airheady teenage fan mode...I'm afraid it would not have been a pretty sight. :shock:

But hey, keep your eyes open, he may be around there somewhere else.....just let me know!
"Did you ever think there's far too many people in the world"?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Talladega Nights

Synopsis:

NASCAR racing sensation Ricky Bobby’s (Will Ferrell) “win at all costsâ€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.daily-journal.com/archives/d ... &id=373686

Posted Online: July 7, 2006

Joke's on auto racing in latest Ferrell film

By Bill Yohnka, Journal correspondent

This weekend in Joliet and at smaller stock car tracks across the country, drivers will find victory by pushing their cars to extremes.

The latest Will Ferrell film takes a similar approach in hopes of box office victory. However, in "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby," the cars are not driven nearly as hard as the stereotypes.

A special Chicago area premiere of the film was held in Naperville Thursday evening for members of the NASCAR circuit and local media types. The film is slated for nationwide release Aug. 4

Ferrell plays the oblivious numbskull many moviegoers have come to love -- whether he's dressed as an oversized elf, a retro newscaster or an aging fraternity wannabe. In this installment Ferrell sports extra-length sideburns, a racing suit, and a drive to win in a movie that is for NASCAR what the Bill Murray classic "Stripes" was for the Army.

Ferrell not only makes a joke of his character's oddball personality, but also mocks the NASCAR culture and tendency toward inserting sponsors in everyday speech. He even mentions brand names from the side of his car while saying grace before digging into some Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Following the film, that had the audience laughing out loud. Representatives from NASCAR on hand for the viewing had a curt "no comment" in regard to the fim or Ferrell's NASCAR star/buffoon Ricky Bobby.

It might make sense. Folks at the Pentagon were not lining up to praise Murray and John Candy for their depiction of Army personnel. Despite that, it should be pointed out that NASCAR is the organization that arranged for the viewing.

Sometime during the film you might start to wonder, "Who is the joke on here, really?"

So was this whole film a Ferrell joke on the NASCAR world? A joke that he helped to write about a talent-free driver who wins without experience? Is it a joke that he was able to woo big-time corporate sponsors (who bought into the project with product and logo placements that started at the drop of the green flag)?

If it is Ferrell's own joke on the NASCAR world, this weekend would be his personal punchline. Ferrell is the Grand Marshal for Sunday's Nextel Cup race in Joliet.

A prank on this scale would nearly put anything Andy Kaufman pulled off to shame. But, is it a big joke on NASCAR?

Yes ... no ... well, sort of, maybe. The best advice for enjoying this movie was overheard exiting the theater: "That was great. I didn't have to think at all."

This reviewer heard the advice too late. It can't be assumed that this is the kind of film actors include on a resume of their finest theaterical achievements, so that side of things won't be reviewed.

It should be noted that former Kankakee Community College basketball player Michael Clarke Duncan was underused. Former KCC Coach Denny Lehnus would have gotten him the ball. Director Adam McKay didn't. While there were plenty of funny moments they were balanced with poor attempts and very typical lowbrow humor.

Jokes surrounding the villain, a homosexual French driver sponsored by Perrier, became worn like old brake pads. The saving grace was that the French driver was given the coolest cameo friends in eccentric rocker Elvis Costello and rapper Mos Def. Serious race fans will get some laughs but will also be disappointed in the lack of realistic competition.

But then again, wanting anything realistic from this film is like trying to learn military strategy by watching Gomer Pyle. Race fans will also cringe as they see cars torn apart in well-made special-effect scenes. It is a common myth that racing fans enjoy spectacular wrecks.

Anyone who has helped work to put a car back together or has seen the pain and injury that can occur will want to turn away for parts of this film. And while general audiences might appreciate the slapstick humor, people from the pits at the Kankakee Motor Speedway realize that there is oftentimes a more subtle style of humor in real life racing -- a style this film never intended to cover.

Local racers like Tommy Kroll from Chebanse will often deliver simple, unrehearsed lines describing the perfect tires as those that, "are worn but not to the point where you can see the air inside the tire."
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

That's anotha queer friend for our hero :lol:
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Extreme Honey wrote:That's anotha queer friend for our hero :lol:
OK. I'm going to say this now before you inevitably get several new ones ripped for you by the others on this board. You really have to think before you post things like that. You may not realize it now, but your track record so far has you coming across as bafflingly ignorant. If you enjoy pissing people off, then I guess your mission is accomplished, so to speak. If you think you're a comic genius, then I'm sure you are, somewhere.

I anxiously await your response, which will probably consist of the word "whatever" and that icon with the rolling eyes.
verbal gymnastics

I made part of this point in another thread and I hope EH that you take wardo's words in the spirit that they are meant - in the same way that I hope you do with the words I said.

I don't like to see anybody lambasted. Good old healthy disagreements are fine - I've learnt a lot of things from reading other people's arguments (although my view is ultimately always right :lol: ) but EH, you need to exercise more care and think things through.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

I was referring it to Elton John actually so in it's own way it was well thought, because I has to have done some research. I don't see how it's offensive, but if it's offensive to you man, well...whatever :roll:
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
verbal gymnastics

wardo68 wrote:I anxiously await your response, which will probably consist of the word "whatever" and that icon with the rolling eyes.
Extreme Honey wrote:... I don't see how it's offensive, but if it's offensive to you man, well...whatever :roll:
...and there it is. :lol:

I feel that I will be simply wasting words and time if I try to explain.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

So who here will see this movie first?
Over here we'll have to wait until Sept. 15th...........such deprivation!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I saw Will Ferrell (sort of) talking about this last night on "The Daily Show". His movies are an insubstantial as can be, but usually make me laugh, especially "Anchorman". The kids liked "Elf".

Sounds like the sort of thing I'll catch on HBO in eight months time.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www2.townonline.com/somerville/e ... eid=546836

‘Nights’ rider: In case you haven’t noticed, Will Ferrell is now a movie star
By Ed Symkus/ Film

Wednesday, August 2, 2006

( extract)

It can go one of two ways with Will Ferrell. Either the former “Saturday Night Liveâ€
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

There are some things that even Elvis can't make me watch.

I'll be investing my hard-earned pay on Little Miss Sunshine instead.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

For once, the Curse of Elvis takes a break

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/w ... -expected/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This film having finally arrived here, I found it patchy. Huge portions of it appear to intend to be meaningful and thoughtful but the interjections of crassness are a jarring counterpoint. The Dublin audience I saw it with, a packed Saturday night crowd, barely responded to it, laughing at the more obvious stuff, particularly if it involved Sacha Baron Cohen. Elvis' appearance drew not even the slightest murmur.

I was, of course, watching out for him. Elvis and Mos Def are sitting at a table in a garden, two women across from them, Sacha at the head of the table. Are Elvis 'n Mos talking to each other? Are they talking across to the ladies? Are they with the ladies? Elvis' red hat is something special.

Otherwise it was good to hear so many Steve Earle songs used, along with Costello fave., "Only Daddy That'll Walk the Line"
by Waylon Jennings. Similarly one racing scene features the start of Paint It Black by the 'Stones but what's used is a really cracking French version, "Marie Douceur/Marie Colère" by Marie Laforêt. There doesn't appear to have been a soundtrack album, but it is on this -

http://www.amazon.fr/Marie-Lafor%eat/dp ... &s=gateway

Marie Laforêt
~ Marie Laforêt
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From listerv-

Elvis speaks to the Ricky Bubbee in the extended "talladega nights".

not much, granted, but him and mos did actually have lines.

http://www.amazon.com/Talladega-Nights- ... UTF8&s=dvd

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (Unrated Widescreen Edition) (2006)

DVD Release Date: December 12, 2006
A rope leash

Who cut one?

Post by A rope leash »

Well, I guess y'all just don't understand bubba culture.

I watched this DVD last night and laughed like a drunken cheerleader. Elvis' appearance was part of an over-the-top joke about the sort of thing bubba would find repulsive finding presence in the French driver.

The depiction of NASCAR culture seemed spot-on in a writhingly satirical way. Ferrell was the perfect dumbass for the job. Maybe you just gotta be familiar with the regional jive before you can find this movie as funny as I did. Being a goofball doesn't hurt, either, I reckon. Duh.

When I first saw Elvis, I wasn't sure it was him. I wish he had a better line.

Like maybe..."I heard you were as fast as my hat!"
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

spot-on
I was right with you, rope, until you wrote that.

I liked the movie. Not Airplane, but not Swampmonsters From Hell either.
Like me, the "g" is silent.