'Hell has frozen over' - Elvis plays Dublin, July 1 '10

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

'Hell has frozen over' - Elvis plays Dublin, July 1 '10

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis , National Stadium , Dublin, Sept. 2 '02
Photo. John Foyle

'We have played from Adelaide to Assissi, from Buxton to Berlin and from Copenhagen to Cain's Ballroom, Tulsa. '

Elvis , Aug. 05

Today , Sept. 2 , it's three years since Elvis played a concert here in Dublin. As the above quote shows he has recently played just about everywhere
else. So Dublin based fans just have to assume it has been a conscious decision on his part not to play here.

Thinking back to Sept. '02 it's interesting to consider the circumstances of the show - which , ultimately , may have lead to Elvis extended absence from Dublin stages.

It was a Monday evening show. The previous week had seen a particularly insane bit of tour scheduling for Elvis and co..The week had started with shows in Monaco and Switzerland.They then flew to New York for an appearance on breakfast tv on the Friday morning.

The show in Dublin hadn't sold out ; I met people who had received free tickets the weekend before, just to get seats filled. Indeed this lack of sales meant the fixed seating in front of the stage wasn't removed , something that usually happens if sales are good. Just like this year , the weather was very hot, with the unventilated National Stadium being particularly humid. Most of the 'papered' audience were also tired after a typical end-of-summer weekend. The venue usually hosts boxing fights so the staff are usually former pugilists , with all the menacing , stony faced bulk that comes with that.

Into this oppressive atmosphere arrives a , possibly , jet-lagged Elvis and co. So many other factors were also, for Elvis , part of this trip to
Dublin. This was the city where his relationship with Cait was ending. It was also where he had spent part of the summer helping his mother come to live.A hundred and one things must have been going through his mind.Of course , most fans wouldn't have known all that at the time.

A lame performance by Chris Difford left crowd particularly relaxed. Elvis and co. started....and stopped after a few songs. Elvis just wasn't happy with the sound and everyone left the stage while it was sorted out. Combined with the heat , this loss of momentum was never really recovered.

Back then Elvis had the particularly tiresome stage technique of , after an hour , 'finishing' and saying goodbye. Us regulars knew it was a ruse - many of the more casual fans didn't and left. Talking to some days later I was told that they just couldn't wait to get out , the show was shite etc.

The show , of course , picked up in the 'second half' , with a lot of those remaining eventually getting to their feet and crowding the stage front. Come the evenings end most were happy. I was somewhat under whelmed. It was the first tour I had followed on the 'net . All that hot summer I seemed to be reading about great shows etc. And now I had seen a show that a walked away from without that feeling of elation that I remembered from past concerts.

Perhaps Elvis was pre-occupied by things and just was not up to going that little bit that was needed to provoke the audience. Or maybe it was just
the hot, muggy conditions. Put it down to bad circumstances , I thought . He'll do better next time which , considering his almost yearly Dublin appearances since 1978 , would be soon enough.

As I said , here we are , three years later and not one show. Traveling to see him , as I have , in the U.S. , Scotland ( twice) and England (and Denmark next month) since has been great. I have been able to combine it with sight-seeing etc. and have metloads of Costello fans, getting all kinds of perspectives on his work etc.

However I'd love to see him back here. I'm tired of telling people here how great his shows and the two recent albums are , and getting polite, blank faces,and mumbled comments about past glories. Since nearly very major - and minor- act includes at least one Irish date in their schedule Elvis' total invisibility means he is being forgotten. And that is a shame.

He did make an Irish appearance of sorts in Dec. 02. Co-hosting the radio show Mystery Train (from presumably the Donnybrook , Dublin RTE studios , but a unattributed link from a U.K. location wouldn't have been out of the question) he spoke of having just that day finished a song for Howard Tate. It was , of course , Either Side Of The Same Town. Singing it in Memphis in 2004 ( April 18. 04, early show) he , in the middle of the song , commented -

' This here song is about when you have an 'ex' who lives in the same town as you , you might see somebody come down the street and think they look
awfully familiar , maybe they used to be the person you loved, maybe it's the other way around....'

It's lyric may tell us all we need to know about the reasons for his absence -

Nothing will ever be the same
All of the promises we made seem hollow
But there are still streets in this town
Marked with your shadow

So if you see me, look surprised
If you don't, then pass me by
And I may even brush your sleeve
As you turn to leave

Now it's hard to act like strangers
When we used to be so strong
Everything is changing
And most of it is wrong
What do we know of anything?
Two fools of some renown
Either side of the same town

Somewhere, there's a light
I can sense it
Oh, though I may fall back again
Although it's a fight
I know I must remain

Now it's hard to keep ignoring
Someone you recognize
And if I seem contented
It's only my disguise
What do we know of anything?
Two fools of some renown
Either side of the same town
------------------------------------------------------

The Sept.02 got these reviews -

http://www.elviscostello.info/articles/ ... 0903a.html

Elvis Costello: jamming

Acoustic Costello switches on the fans
Elvis Costello
Review: Niamh Hooper

http://www.elviscostello.info/articles/ ... 0925a.html

Review of concert from 2002-09-02: Dublin, National
Stadium - with Imposters
Hot Press, 2002-09-05
- Troy Barrott

http://www.elviscostello.info/articles/ ... 0907a.html

Review of concert from 2002-09-02: Dublin, National
Stadium - with Imposters
Irish Times, 2002-09-07
- Tony Clayton-Lea
Last edited by johnfoyle on Fri May 21, 2010 6:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
IStandAccused

Dublin vs. NYC

Post by IStandAccused »

Wonderful post John but the town EC is singing about is New York not Dublin. I hope he does go back and play in Dublin but I also think it has nothing to do with his previous marriage- if in fact thats what you are getting at.
It has more to do with taxes, living location, properties, new living locations, etc...
Or at least thats what I've heard from mutual ears.
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Thanks for the the good news, sort of, IStandAccused, hopefully Elvis will get things sorted out and play here again sometime this decade, he's missed.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

..........looks like it'll be a little longer!

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... 3&start=25

Amsterdam, Sept. 6 '06 -

I decided to be abrupt (as usual!) and asked when he'd play Dublin. Scribbling autographs , he said something like " Well that'll be when hell freezes over!" . [/i]
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I decided to be abrupt (as usual!) and asked when he'd play Dublin. Scribbling autographs , he said something like " Well that'll be when hell freezes over!" .
Until Hell freezes over
It's funny and makes you think. The following is an actual question given on a University of Liverpool chemistry final exam. The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues via the Internet, which is why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law that gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that, if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell. Because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay constant, the volume of Hell must expand proportionately as souls are added. This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Sandra during my freshman year, that "it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is endothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is extinct...leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being - which explains why, last night, Sandra kept shouting "Oh my God."

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A".

Hope after all then Foyles.
signed with love and vicious kisses
migdd

Post by migdd »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That was priceless!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

'Lorcan'

Interesting choice...........inspired by this ,maybe?

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09091b.htm

St Laurence O'Toole, Patron Saint of Dublin.

(LORCAN UA TUATHAIL; also spelled Laurence O'Toole)

Confessor, born about 1128, in the present County Kildare; died 14 November, 1180, at Eu in Normandy; canonized in 1225 by Honorius III.

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintl61.htm
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

To mark this latest anniversary of lack of Dublin appearances , here are some ticket stubs from the days when Elvis was a regular here -

johnfoyle

Re: Elvis/Dublin - It's been five years

Post by johnfoyle »

I'm late with this years update of this moan..........I must be be beginning to accept reality.
always dancing

Re: Elvis/Dublin - It's been six years

Post by always dancing »

I agree that the one post about Hell was priceless. Where do you boys see Elvis if he doesn't come to your home turf?
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis/Dublin - It's been five years

Post by verbal gymnastics »

johnfoyle wrote:I'm late with this years update of this moan..........I must be be beginning to accept reality.
Nope - hell just hasn't frozen over yet :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis/Dublin - It's been six years

Post by johnfoyle »

While I'm in Africa....

http://www.hotpress.com/Elvis%20Costell ... 34929.html

Elvis Costello announces Dublin date

21 May 2010
He's playing Vicar St. in July.

Elvis Costello and his current bunch of musical cohorts The Sugarcanes nip in on July 1 for a show in Dublin’s Vicar St.

Tickets are €55 and go on sale on Tuesday May 25.

Much of the set will be culled from Secret, Profane & Sugarcane, the T Bone Burnett produced album he recorded over three frantic days last year in Nashville and which debuted at number 13 on the Billboard chart, his highest US chart placing since 1980’s Get Happy.

Elvis made world headlines this week when he cancelled two Israeli gigs because of the "intimidation, humiliation or much worse" he believes the country is inflicting on the Palestinian.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180044 ... orcatid=60
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Re: 'Hell has frozen over' - Elvis plays Dublin, July 1 '10

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Are you kidding me, John, you'll be in Africa when he finally plays in Dublin? If so, then there is no justice in the world...
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Wont be going either since I'm not that interested in his Sugarcanes stuff & I'm saving my energy for Mountain Mans gig @ Crawaddy the night after. Good to see him coming back.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Bit of a shock to the system today - Mrs Sulky has accepted the concept of a few days in Dublin which just may coincide with a certain Sugarcane performance at the start of July and some annual leave !! I may have to be on my best behaviour and actually talk to her during the show at the risk of getting my voice on tape ( or the digital equivalent !!) John, what do you know about the Fitzwilliam Hotel, we're looking at staying there when we're over ??
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

GLAD YOU'RE GOING SULKY...THAT'LL BE THE DAY I GET MRS. APOSTLE ON A PLANE....I'M LUCKY TO GET A ROAD TRIP IN THE NY TRI-STATE AREA. ENJOY!
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

martinfoyle wrote:Wont be going either since I'm not that interested in his Sugarcanes stuff & I'm saving my energy for Mountain Mans gig @ Crawaddy the night after. Good to see him coming back.
Don't know which was the most surprising news this week, The Israel On/off saga or BOTH Foyle's missing a show in Dublin.
I'm shocked.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Fitzwilliam Hotel ? I've haven't been in it but it looks fine. It's right across from a side entrance to Stephens Green park. You go in , take a right and almost immediately take a left , and you'll see this -

Familiar ? Of course it is, if you know the photo on the back of the vinyl edition of Punch The Clock -

I'll be back , hopefully, from Africa on July 3 so if your still in town Sulky it'll be great to meet up.

The show is getting loads of coverage in Irish entertainment sites. It goes on sale tomorrow. Block D in Vicar St. is, by the way, my favoured seating location. The tables at the stage front are, of course, great if you want a up close view. The fixed stools around them , however, do not have back support and are agony after a while. The only remedy is getting up to go get drink etc., something the venue loves and happily charges exorbitant prices for (eg. c.€5 for a mere mouthful of a generic '7UP' ). It also means you cross the sightline of people at other tables and the downstairs seating that make up blocks A, B & C. The upstairs blocks, starting with D, are far better. The venue doesn't usually start selling the upstairs areas until downstairs is filled. If you are booking tomorrow and want to go upstairs don't click on the 'best available' and try and specify your requirement. Depending on how quickly the overall selling goes, upstairs may become available quick enough.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'll be checking my leave availability tomorrow so hopefully we'll be sorted by tomorrow pm. We aim to stay in Ireland for 4 or 5 days so hopefully we'll be able to meet up - thanks for the info John. I guess my seating will be more based around best sound ( just in case I manage to sneak a recording device along with me !! :oops: - Any advice as to where that may be ?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

No sign of any tickets for sale yet from The Point - just my luck, he'll cancel and I'll still have to take Mrs Sulky and meet John :lol: !!!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Tickets here: http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180044 ... orcatid=60
They play at Vicar Street, not the Point.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Seats are still available in Block D, which was , by the way, a good enough location for a friend who taped a Rufus Wainwright show a few years ago. The fact that my laughter at the between song jokes was rather prominent on the recording was , of course, a welcome extra...

Why oh why do I torment myself by checking this out...
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

This could just be the end of something wonderful -
I got to work today having been away after working nights at the weekend and found my leave application for 30th June to 2nd July had been vetoed because there was a staff shortage on the morning of 2nd July. I offered to work the morning, thinking if I left at lunchtime, I'd still have time to fly to Dublin with Mrs Sulky in time for the evening concert. Came home delighted to have sorted that out, booked two tickets for Block D and then realised the concert is on the 1st. I have the day off then of course but it does mean I have to be back in Birmingham for work on the 2nd. Furthermore, it's scuppered our thoughts of a holiday in Ireland and there's no point in me flying back to work for half a day and then returning to the emerald isle with Mrs Sulky. It is possible to get a 6 am flight back to Birmingham but I'll be on tenterhooks to make it in time !! In the meantime , ticketmaster won't refund my tickets and I'd really like to go anyway !
I think I got confused because I assumed Elvis would travel to Glasgow from Tyneside and then cross the Irish sea, rather than zigzag the way he actually is - oh bollocks, no sleep that night then !!
Anyone want to meet up and share my extra ticket ??
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Ad. in Dublin 'paper -

martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Fourth row table seats still available when I last checked, obviously Elvis' long absence has done him no favours. Nice mention in this mornings Irish Times, http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/the ... 60160.html , may help things.