`Get Happy is the blueprint for gay love/sex ..`

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

`Get Happy is the blueprint for gay love/sex ..`

Post by johnfoyle »

A decidedly original review of Elvis`recent show in Chicago !

see
http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/article-35161.html
Bent Nights
Elvis Costello at A Taste of Chicago
BY Hester
(8/13/2003)

Fresh off the hype of last year’s “comeback” When I Was Cruel, Elvis Costello’s blow-out at A Taste marked him as a victim of his own cumbersome brilliance. When My Aim is True appeared in 1976 it heralded him as a blue-rinse punk with the sentiment of a Henry Mancini with fangs. With Nick Lowe producing, This Year’s Model (1977) and Armed Forces (1978) welded sex and politics in an unlikely nuclear fusion. 1979’s Get Happy was the capper; 20 three-minute dramas of E.C. pursuing a woman (or many women) with the breathless desperation of a gay man. Though it’s unintentional, Get Happy is the blueprint for gay love/sex in the new century. Romantically clumsy and naive (on “I Can’t Stand Up” he snarls, “I’m mad, ‘cause it hurt a little too much...”) he cheapens who he can get (“Motel Matches”) but makes every absurd promise in the universe to get who is unattainable (“I’ll promise you anything ... even a wedding ring ...”). And at the top of side two sits the punchline: “The Imposter.” When E.C. coyly sings “When I said that I was lying I might have been lying ...” it’s obvious this clown can’t be trusted. As a redefinition of punk/pop/soul with a sledgehammer beat and the sweaty obsession of a wound-up neurotic, Get Happy was the point where punk stopped evolving. Time has made it more scathing and luscious than when it came out and its brilliance couldn’t be topped—not even by E.C..

To be fair there were masterworks (Imperial Bedroom, Spike), merely good albums (Punch the Clock, Brutal Youth, Trust), and save for a track or two flaming wrecks (Almost Blue, Blood and Chocolate). But by the time E.C. turned up in collaboration with Burt Bacharach (nabbing a Grammy in the process—how’s that for respectability) he was less an edgy literate man for our age and more of a retro clown. Cruel wasn’t a comeback—it was an apology, which is why the Taste gig did more to validate E.C. than anything he’s recorded in a decade.

In short it was a “Greatest Hits” show, with cuts literally plucked from all of his albums (except Cruel), tossed off without much fanfare or, except for his singing, charm. But what seemed like an indistinct gig for him turned into a summer blow-out for the thousands in attendance.

“Radio Radio” a song about media censorship got a furious workout and it was amusing how the nearly naked hordes slam-watusied to it. “I Can’t Stand Up,” “(What’s so Funny ‘bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding”—dedicated to the Dixie Chicks, “Beyond Belief,” “Clubland,” “Everyday I Write the Book,” “Clownstrike,” “I Hope You’re Happy Now,” “Pump it Up”—live they were propulsive, savage, and fresh.

But the ballads, even in this impersonal setting, betrayed E.C.’s soul. “Deep Dark Truthful Mirror” was full of hurt and betrayal, but “Allison” stole the show. With unrestrained resignation and whisky sighs it was comparable to Billie Holiday at her most fatigued. When he cooed “My aim is true...” you couldn’t deny that he still meant it even after 27 years. And if that wasn’t enough he slid right into a delicate sculptured reading of Smokey Robinson’s “The Tracks of My Tears,” with the mucus and tears running. These moments were better than anything E.C. has recorded in a good 15 years.

After three encores and more surprise covers (“You Really Got a Hold on Me,” “Suspicious Minds”), Elvis left the building. But he’s hardly what he started out as. Glaring from the cover of This Year’s Model with pointed rage, he seemed like a foul-tempered twerp. Now, pushing 50, somewhat jowly, and undeniably seasoned and sentimental, he’s become one of us. Now is that scary for us or the times we live in?
Pov

Post by Pov »

Blood & Chocolate a "flaming wreck?" Spike a "masterwork?" What drugs is this guy on?
A rope leash

Chemistry

Post by A rope leash »

I don't know, Pov, maybe crack?

One thing I got from this was the situational truth of what Elvis is doing right now. He's got a kick-ass band to tour with, and a thirty year catalogue from which to forge a playlist. He's storming the world, and the world is now getting a new appreciation of him and his talents. They are, apparently in some cases, even dancing!

He's the last real rock star.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

What a load of bollocks! Who informs these so called critics that their opinion is of any importance???????? :?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

i take offence with the notion that gay men are automatically desperate sluts. c'mon now, that's not cool.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
A rope leash

Switch

Post by A rope leash »

What about hertero men? Can we say that they are desperate sluts?!
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

some are. hey, i'm a bisexual chick who, if she got the chance, would most certainly be a desperate slut. with precautions. and taste. and uh...

it's just like saying, well, all umbrellas are red. s'just not true.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
bobster

Post by bobster »

Interesting how the guy misquotes lines from songs Elvis didn't actually write and then credits them to him.

Also, I try to rely too much on regional stereotypes gleaned from Saturday Night Live, but I've got to say I'm getting a less than friendly mental images when I imagine hordes of "nearly naked" Chicigoans dancing....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

And to think the author got paid for THAT!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Tokyo THing...RESPECT! :lol:
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

jesus..that guy is dumb! I guess any man with a libido is now gay?? Oh well, I can live with it.
Pov

Re: Switch

Post by Pov »

A rope leash wrote:What about hertero men? Can we say that they are desperate sluts?!
I am a hetero man and most of us ARE desperate sluts!
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Copenhagen Fan wrote:... I guess any man with a libido is now gay?? ...
well, it's true in my experience. :twisted:
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

hey,

pip and i were there, and i think that she can attest to the fact that we were, in fact, all TOTALLY naked, and while not dancing, were performing what is historically known as 'Jazzercise'. :oops:
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

My husband is a desperate slut. :) And doesn't mind being called such.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

He's not lying. Elvis was the only one wearing clothes. Well, at least until the 2nd encore . . .

:shock:
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Finally forced myself to read all the way through it.

A few comments:

- *insert universal wank gesture here*

- How much did he get paid? As someone who used to write book reviews, I can guess: nothing, literally. Which accounts for the quality.

- This guy is in love with the sound of his own voice, the most dangerous thing that can happen to any writer, good or bad, and I'll bet you can guess which category I'd put him in.

- ... oh never mind, it's not even worth it....
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Popsi..sorry to hear that!!!!! want some tips??? :lol:
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

tks for the offer cope, but i'll muddle thru on my own. once the school term starts i won't even have time to gawk at gay guys, much less bemoan the fact that they aren't interested in me. :)

and i saw lotsa gay guys yesterday - spent the day in provincetown MA.

off to try to catch up on reading here, while my house guest is taking a shower.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
bobster

Post by bobster »

So, the poor doof couldn't even get his nakedity facts right, claiming the throng were "nearly naked" when, in fact, you were apparently all completely naked -- well, until the second encore when either the audience got dressed or Elvis and the band threw off their close in solidarity with the masses of Chicago, I'm not sure which. All very remininscent of the last scene from "Hair."
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

What the heck are you all talking about??
I'm not angry anymore....
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

My middle name is now officially..."no thanks Cope".......... :lol:
the poisoner

Post by the poisoner »

my two cents....
it (almost) goes without saying that you would hafta be quite the fan of gay sex to come to the conclusion the reviewer did
oh, i useta be disgusted
now i try to be amused