sos foodies!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
firebetty

sos foodies!

Post by firebetty »

okay, so this board has hailed the drink, the weed, touched on the lust, but i'm hungry!
i have sunken into a rut, and now i want some good food.
what should i have for dinner?
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

thai food always makes me happy.

i also LOVE sushi.

we discussed food on the last board. BWAP and I talked about Indian food, and Legal Seafood.

today i was told that Orleans in Davis Sq is good (since you're local to me).
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
firebetty

Post by firebetty »

yeah poppet, i forgot about the former food posts. we just had Pho Pasture- always a good back up.

haven't been to orleans, but have been to oleana in inman sq. oleana is fab! went there in april. do not use restraint if you go. it is all good. even the mint tea is made with fresh mint.
Thanks for the tips.

now anyone out there who cooks? if i make cuban black beans and rice again, i will be forced to have eggs and cuban black beans for breakfast again. anyone, please...

now that it stopped raining it looks like we are grilling burgers.
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

If you're a carnivore, a good grilled steak sandwich with bleu cheese and chopped green onions is good.

Or you can cut the meat, use the bleu cheese (or a reeeeeallly nice cheddar) and make open-faced grilled cheese sandwiches under the broiler.

And then you eat rice pudding.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

oh lord, that diet would KILL me. all that darned cheese!!!!!

and *sniff* rice pudding. a favorite, that I can no longer eat. wahhhh!!!

cooking - fresh veggies, stir fried. visit some place that actually has fresh fresh veggies, like a farm stand. mix up a simple sauce, or buy one at trader joes. add rice, and voila, yummy food.

(wow, that does sound good.)
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

oh, and the leftover veggies and sauce can be used as omelet filling.

for breakfast.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

This sounds good to me today:

Saute (or grill) some scallops and grape tomatoes in olive oil, garlic and lemon juice for a few minutes, throw in some cooked linguine and a little chopped fresh basil and parsley and toss it around to coat the pasta. Green salad, crusty bread to mop up the sauce, and crisp white wine.

Dessert: poached peaches. With vanilla ice cream.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

If you want a salad, you can roast 2 seeded, cored red bell peppers, 2 Japanese eggplants (the long skinny ones), about 15 cloves of garlic, and toss the finished product together with some fresh basil and a little balsamic vinegar. Very healthy.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

This thread is already making me demented!

Having just been in Dublin, I'll go for smoked wild Irish salmon on the best soda bread, with a nice bit of butter in between and some lemon juice on top, and a long cool pint or 5 of the finest Guinness.
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

Smoked salmon...yummers. Nice in hot weather. When I was in high school I lived on 7-Up Salad when the weather got warm; combined lemon and lime Jello (or jelly to our European friends) made with hot 7-Up in place of water mixed with a little canned crushed pineapple, drained of the juice. The recipe also called for cottage cheese but I have an aversion to that for some reason. It's just too white and bland.

ETA: I'll shut up soon. Promise, promise.
Otis Westinghouse

Estimated time of arrival? Basque separatists?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

FB, a fave of mine this time of year-- toss all this with just-cooked pasta:

- chopped fresh tomatoes
- ricotta cheese
- bit of olive oil
- garlic
- toasted pine nuts (cheapest place to get: Trader Joe's. If you freeze them they keep a long time, too.)
- fresh basil leaves
- salt & pepper
- bit of romano at table

Very easy and the only thing that has to get hot is the pasta...
firebetty

Post by firebetty »

thanks.
this should get me thru the next couple of days.
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Estimated time of arrival?
ETA = Edited To Add. Pardon my shorthand.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Whtesde -- please don't shut up! Though I have to say that salad sounds like something right out of the WHITE TRASH COOKBOOK (a real book, am not being judgmental!!). Funny! We used to drink hot water and jello mix while on frigid winter camping trips, that's the closest I've come...
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

*snerk* Actually, I first found the recipe in a culinary biography of Elvis (of the Presley variety). The Life and Cuisine of Elvis Presley by David Adler. Fascinating read, but very fattening.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I have the White Trash Cookbooks! Volumes 1 and 2! In fact, I love them so much that I replaced them when they were lost during a move.

The photographs alone are worth the price of the books.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

I used to work at the main library in my hometown when I was in high school and read the White Trash Cookbooks from cover to cover. Funny stuff--I've never seen the word "pone" appear so many times....

I am a hardcore foodie. I cook when I'm stressed (and I have no idea how I can still weigh 130 lbs!). Good sushi is a serious weakness, and although I avoid red meat, the occasional thick, rare steak is the best thing in the entire world...

I also come from a big, fat Black southern family. Let's give it up for greens and fatback, y'all! And ox tails are DAMN good, too.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
Otis Westinghouse

Romano? Pone?

Food is always one of the biggest areas of linguistic variation. I'm struggling here!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Romano = aged hard cheese comparable to but different from Parmesan.

Corn Pone = ??? Never have known!! SLC??? Enlighten us!
Otis Westinghouse

Ahhh! Knew 'romano' had a ring, but of course this should be referred to as 'pecorino', just as you refer to Parmesan/parmiggiano, not 'reggiano'. Actuallym that may be bollocks cos of course 'romano' equates to 'parmiggiano' as derived from town name, so what do I know? why are there no Italians here? Elvis has a following in Italy, dammit!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

You're funny!!
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

Oxtails! I made oxtail stew for the first time a little while back; takes a looooong time, but when they say the meat turns fall apart tender, they mean it. Mmm-hmm.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Though I'm no gourmet cook (these days, if you can't cook on a George Foreman grill...well, I'm not cooking it!), I still must speak a bit about the still-too little known regional fast-food cuisine of Los Angeles.

The fabled Tommyburger -- which friends of mine have driven 350 miles from the San Francisco Bay Area just to sample. A tiny little burger, a huge tomato slice and onion and lots of very cheap yet delicious chili (the kind they don't so much cook as mine from the bowels of the earth!). Be careful, 'cause there's lots of imitators (Big Tomy's, Tom's #5, etc.)...Accept no substitutions (unless you're really hungry!)

A cousin of the Tommy burger is the even more fabled Pink's Hot Dog. Combining more cheap chilli, a delicious hot dog (inexplicably "made special by Hoffy" and ordinary Hoffy dogs these ain't) with that amazing "snap-back" factor after you bite into them. A symphony on the bun. Some are partial to their polish dog, but they're weird.
These are available ONLY at the corner of La Brea and Melrose. I've mentioned this before here, but legend has it that Orson Welles once ate 18 at one sitting.

And finally we head toward West L.A., the land of Bobster's youth, for Johnny's Pastrami on the corner of Sepulveda and Washington in the little known, unprepossingly utilariant, yet oddly charming berg of Culver City. This is not regular deli-style pastrami, but a thin-sliced relative surved on a french roll (and "French dipped" -- believe it or not, the "French Dip" actually begin here) served very hot and absolutely worth the medical expenses.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Otis Westinghouse

Sounds like lots of fun. 'Brea', if memory services, is a fairly obscure word meaning a sea mist or something like that. 'Sepúlveda' (stress on the accented 'u') is a historic old town north of Madrid, kind of ignored these days, but must have been important once. There's a street named after it in Barcelona