The Recommendation Game

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Okay, Beat Happening.
goodbyegirl

Post by goodbyegirl »

I'll take Ween. I have been listening to them for years. For all the good tunes, there is a lot of junk mixed into their cd's. I would say "White Pepper" would be the best place to start.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

One should weed oneself of Ween.

Beat Happening...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Beat ain't happening I guess. Never heard of them myself, but here's what one Peter Ticinovic of Vancouver has to say about them on Amazon.com (not a big fan, I gather):

"Annoying, pretentious snob-rock made by and for well-off upper-middle class whitebread bozos."

Here's one - I have Gillian Welch's Time The Revelator, which is probably one of my top 10 albums of recent years. Are any of her other discs in the same league (because I've read mixed reviews)? Apologies if this one's been asked and answered elsewhere.

P.S. "Ween" is fun to say.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

WSS,

Time (The Revelator) is easily my favorite as well but you can't go wrong with her other three albums. Revival, her debut, is a really strong set of gothic folk and Hell Among The Yearlings might not be as consistent but its high points (My Morphine, Good Till Now) are so beautiful and so spooky. Soul Journey is much more of a loosey goosey affair, very laid back and enjoyable country folk.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Oh....whose got my hookup for The Moldy Peaches?
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I know that I'm not playing by the rules, because I have no answer for EV. Can anyone recommend anything by John Scofield? I know he has a new tribute CD of Ray Charles' stuff.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I have Uberjam by Scofield. A raving fan friend gave me a copy. I should maybe give it a second go, but for me it was a 'once is enough' experience. All about technique and virtuosity and being up its own arse. And the drumming was so ridiculously accomplished it just depressed me! Good title, though.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

ice nine wrote:I know that I'm not playing by the rules, because I have no answer for EV. Can anyone recommend anything by John Scofield? I know he has a new tribute CD of Ray Charles' stuff.
I enjoyed A Go-Go, the disc he did with Medeski, Martin & Wood and Quiet, a beautiful acoustic album, both from the mid-90's. Those are good places to start.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

New artist, somebody?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Lee "Scratch" Perry
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:Lee "Scratch" Perry
I don't own it, Blue, but there's a new 4-disc collection of his work that got a very positive review on NPR a few months back. Here is the NPR link:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4649351

I have to warn you - the reviewer (Milo Miles) sounds like a traveling salesman, or one of those guys who did voiceovers for 1960s nature programs.

OK, I know that there are a lot of Prine and Steve Forbert fans on here (and I may be seeing Forbert when he plays our local hole in the wall in a few months time), so I would appreciate any recommendations on where to start with either. I'm counting on you El Vez, shatterproof, mood swung...
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

ooo!! I can help!! at least with JP.

You can't go wrong with John Prine - I made this dumbass an intro cd (and I'd be happy to do the same for you - not that you're a dumbass!) and it was heavy on JP JP.

I can't imagine life without that one.

as a more career-spanning introduction, maybe Great Days - the liner notes alone are worth it.

Like me, the "g" is silent.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I'm listening to "Is A Woman" and it's in fact the only Lambchop album I've ever heard. Any other recommended stuff from the band ?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Aw Come On, No You Come On, if that's right, was well-received. Never heard it, but great title!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

Who Shot Sam? wrote: (and I may be seeing Forbert when he plays our local hole in the wall in a few months time)
go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go

and goody can give you advise on his records (or you can just look earlier on this thread when it was given by shatterproof)
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Let me just reinforce Oily's emphatic "Go!" Steve Forbert is one of the best and he always puts on a great, great show.

And as for Forbert recommendations.....

1. Just Like There's Nothin' To It - His most recent and it's grown quite the cult following on this board as Shatter, Miss MacBeth and I all love it.
2. Rock While I Can Rock - Twofer of the great Streets of This Town and the very, very good The American In Me
3. Alive On Arrival - Wonderful debut
4. Mission of The Crossroad Palms - Incredible lyrics.
5. Young, Guitar Days - Superb collection of previously unreleased stuff that's just as good as his What Kinda Guy? best of.
Last edited by El Vez on Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

El Vez wrote:Let me just reinforce Oily's emphatic "Go!" Steve Forbert is one of the best and he always puts on a great, great show.
OK, I will definitely make plans. I could walk there.

Thanks El Vez. Will check those out when my wallet recovers from a recent splurge.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

oily slick wrote:
and goody can give you advise on his records (or you can just look earlier on this thread when it was given by shatterproof)
Advice, she cannot give you, but she can agree with El Vez and shatterproof.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

goody do you know everything about everybody or what? you're supposed to seek a recommendation, get help satisfying a curiosity. don't you need to know about rush or rob zombie or somebody?
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I have lots of curiosity that needs satisfying, and I already know more than I care to about Rush and Rob Zombie. But you see, I didn't answer the question, I merely agreed, which is so much easier than forming an original thought and committing it to words. So, it's really El Vez's gaffe, if you ask me.

However, he really does know everything about everybody.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Well, it ain't hardly my turn, but can someone tell me more about Ladytron?

I'm rather addicted to the track "All The Way" I got on one of the Word compilations, and want to know how to get more of this haunting stuff that sates that Siouxie/Cocteau Twins kinda craving.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Bump!

Someone should give me some pointers re Ladytron and/or ask for their own recommendations....
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Will freely admit to consulting http://www.allmusic.com on this but apparently 604 is the way to go with Ladytron.

The Mekons?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Thanks, I appreciate it! But where are MBA and POP??

I have one Mekons record, Honky Tonkin', which I love. Given that title, I think you would too! Have heard lots of bits and pieces but that's the only one I own.