Songs we can't listen to

Pretty self-explanatory
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

i can't listen to playboy to a man, sweet pear (go ahead and start crucifying), eisenhower blues, most of ptc (just too happy sounding), and most of gcw.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm not keen on a lot of the Juliet Letters, I dislike Veronica, DDTM (although it is more palatable because of You really got a hold on me), Sweet Pear, Broken, Gigi, Eisenhower Blues.

I even sometimes find me skipping Shipbuilding and Pills and Soap depending on my mood.

As a GENERAL thing I prefer the rowdy rhythm records although EC has opened me up to listening to all kinds of music. some I like, some I don't care for.

But each to one's own and all that...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
girl out of time

new addition

Post by girl out of time »

a new addition to the list............let me tell you about her
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Bunny, I'm long on record as loving I WANNA BE LOVED. Just a great song, and I so want to hear him do it live, after all these years. Plus, do you remember the video? One of the most sadly funny things I've ever seen...
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

the friend who i convinced to see EC at Lupo's (the show i couldn't get to) had never seen him before. she LOVED the show, and LOVED 'I Wanna Be Loved' (done at the 7pm show). she just ordered the 'best of' compilation w/ that song on it.

i've made a convert!!!!! :) yay me!
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

It's Time and You Bowed Down I find to be terribly mediocre..., they just kind of trudge along

One Dust was enough for WIWC.

Daddy is great. Sounds like it should be on Taking Liberties.

Of course, we can't forget Kojak, though maybe we should.

I hated I wanna be loved until I saw the video, since then I like it.

Invasion Hit Parade, Bugs, all overwrought.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

SHE!! It makes my skin crawl!!! :?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

selfmademug wrote:Bunny, I'm long on record as loving I WANNA BE LOVED. Just a great song, and I so want to hear him do it live, after all these years. Plus, do you remember the video? One of the most sadly funny things I've ever seen...
Yeah, live would be fantastic. Love the video too. Am I right in saying Elvis thought the video for IWBL was better than the song?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I like I Wanna Be Loved as well, would've loved to've seen it live last year, too.
the poisoner

Post by the poisoner »

Gillibeanz wrote:SHE!! It makes my skin crawl!!! :?
'she' was my brother's song at his wedding.
my kids could not believe that any elvis song was picked
oh, i useta be disgusted
now i try to be amused
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

'She' isn't that bad. It got him back in the top 20 and on Top Of The Pops. Which isn't saying much these days.

I was in the Trafford Centre in Manchester one day and there's a huge, huge screen where they show videos and adverts. Guess who fills the screen while I'm eating my lunch? Little Elv in the 'She' video pulling his wistful face.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

AAAHHHHH!! I haven't been able to post for days and I could hardly wait to add to this thread!

I LOVE I Wanna Be Loved!!! It's one of my all time fav EC songs!

I can't even believe that She is an EC song......it's sooo bad, not only for EC but just as a song.

The entire For The Stars record. Oh, so bad.

Yeah, God Give Me Strength grates on me a bit but not as much as What's Her (Fucking) Name Today!!!!

Broken...SKIP IT.

I usually skip DCITT.....don't really like it. Gigi also. And for that matter, I'm not too crazy about Love Field.

(I have to admit that I do tend to skip EDIWTB and Veronica...but not always! I don't hate them.....just don't go for those 'pop-y' tunes all the time.)

Probably the most important thing to mention is that it totally depends on my mood and I usually seek out certain songs I want to specifically hear.
(But I don't EVER want to hear FTS, She or WHNT!)
I'm not angry anymore....
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

'She' makes my teeth bleed.

As does 'After the Fall.' Too many Spanish guitars spoil the soup, if you ask me.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I don't like Smile much, and yes, After The Fall is kind of yawnsome.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

most of what would be weaker to me has been mentioned here--eisenhower blues, playboy to a man, one dust woulda been enough and one smile, if any, although i like it when elvis makes a buck. hard to believe the smashing it's time and you bowed down got on here let alone lipstick vogue. it is now kind of hard to believe he even issued goodbye cruel world. ever notice "selections from", "parts of", or "the" and phrases like that are always used when referencing the juliet letters. no one ever says "that 'damnation's cellar' really floats my boat" or "i just gotta skip 'romeo's seance' when 'the juliet letters' is in my changer"?
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

oh ja...Eisenhower BLues blows!!!! as does Leave My KItten alone...I hate that junkie Elvis fast blues stuff....
Danny

Post by Danny »

Totally agreed that

Eisenhower Blues (any songs where Elvis tries to sound like an American bluesman always fails)
It's Time & Sulky Girl (lumbering behemoths, both)
Veronica (that snare drum)
Playboy To A Man

Also, I used to love 'From Head To Toe' but I'm finding it hard stomach the thought of another listen!

Can't believe we're slagging off the man who's written and performed zillions of phenomenal choons!

Danny x
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

She is shite!! Not even written by Elvis so god knows why he picked on it to sing - I dont think he even sings it that well!!

BAMBOONEEDLE: I guess if you wanted to choose an Elvis song for the bride and groom to start the dancing off its pretty hard to think of one that is a dedicated love song offhand. any suggestions guys?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Gilli, can't think of one as just a straightforward dedication (like She). My Little Blue Window could be a good starter, but then it might be hard to dance to that tempo unless you waltz.
verbal gymnastics

Gilli/Bambooneedle

How about Shipbuilding or Pills and Soap? If they don't get you strutting your funky stuff then nothing will!

It's funny but in concert Elvis used to sometimes get quite humpy when people didn't get up and dance. He should realise that his music is not always the easiest to dance to.

And yes, She is shite!
A rope leash

Elvis on Letterman

Post by A rope leash »

If you saw Elvis on Letterman with an all-girl orchestra singing She, you wouldn't think it was "shite".
verbal gymnastics

I did but no amount of eye candy is going to make the song sound good!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

While I say She is "not that bad", it's bad enough for me to make a dive for the skip button on 'The Best Of'. It was okay when he sang on some UK TV show (I forget which one) with Steve and a full orchestra playing behind him.

Gillibeanz - Elvis was asked by Richard Curtis (who used EC's 'My Funny Valentine' to great effect on The Vicar of Dibley) to sing it. He probably had a wad of notes waved in his face and just....couldn't....resist.
A rope leash

It's all relative...

Post by A rope leash »

No matter what you think of She, you must agree that it was pivotal to the movie Notting Hill. Without Elvis lulling me into a passive state of acceptance, I would have never been able to suffer the film in it's entirety.
verbal gymnastics

Re: It's all relative...

A rope leash wrote:No matter what you think of She, you must agree that it was pivotal to the movie Notting Hill. Without Elvis lulling me into a passive state of acceptance, I would have never been able to suffer the film in it's entirety.
Absolutely. But it doesn't mean it's any good. Could you use the same argument for "Everything I Do" by Bryan Adams...

I can't understand why the marketing bods didn't release She when the film came out. Seeing as so many people saw the film, I thought it would be released early. People would hear it as they left the film as the credits were going, it would still be in their minds and they would go out and buy it. Or am I too simplistic?