The Recommendation Game

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

The Recommendation Game

Post by BlueChair »

Here's how it works... I name someone who I'd like to buy my first CD by, and whoever feels qualified recommends something, and then mentions another name.

For example, if King of Spain were to ask "The Jayhawks" I would reply and say "Tomorrow The Green Grass" and then say "Nina Simone" as someone I would like to get into.

So.

Nina Simone
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Sorry to interrupt, just wanted to say this is a great idea!
bobster

Post by bobster »

Excellent choice, Blue. I'm a big fan of Ms. Simone's classically-influenced piano and exotically soulful singing. My favorite among the 2 or 3 of her albums I have appears to be out of print, as per Amazon. However, Nina: The Essential Nina Simone" has mostly the same tracks and probably better sound (mine was an obscure import...possibly bought at an car wash, or a used bin). Favorite tracks include "Don't Smoke in Bed," "Mood Indigo," "Plain Gold Ring" and, of course, "My Baby Just Cares for Me" (used in a famous Chanel commercial directed by Ridley Scott).

Wilco.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

Being There.... unmistakably their best effort.....

Gram Parson
Last edited by Bob And Charlotte on Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

Gram Parsons solo career i mean

(but as G.P. and Gram Parson is now available together.... this was a really silly question)
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Blue

Whilst that is a fine collection you would be missing out if you didnt consider in addition to bobsters fine recommendation the "To Love Somebody" album which has unmissable versions of Suzanne by Leonard Cohen, Dylans Just like Tom Thumb Blues and I Shall Be Released and a version of Turn Turn Turn all of which are quite drastic re-arrangements and , I know this is hard to believe, but they all surpass the originals. You can also find this in a Twofer with "Here Comes The Sun" which is fantastic too.

Bobster
For Wilco , I would go against popular opinion and rather than the wonderful Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and suggest the even more wonderful Summerteeth.

What would be the best Randy Newman album - I have Little Criminals which I love but there is obviously much Im missing out on?

Whoops X post with Bob/Charlotte - Being there is great too but is more rootsy than Summerteeth which is more adventerous. Sunken Treasure on Being There is a knock out though.
Last edited by Mike Boom on Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

B and C:

I have the two-disc Gram Parsons anthology, Sacred Hearts And Fallen Angels. That's a great compilation of work from across his (short) career - stuff with International Submarine Band, The Byrds, Flying Burrito Bros., solo work, collaborations with Emmylou Harris. If you're willing to spring for a double CD, that's where I would start.

Richard Thompson recommendations anyone?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

This live solo acoustic album from 84 "Small Town Romance" has recently been re-issued and is a good overview with songs going back all the way to Fairport Convention.

Yeah, so, as per above ... Randy Newman besides Little Criminals anyone?
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Good Old Boys would be an ideal place to start with Newman. Songs like Mr. President (Have Pity on The Working Man), Lousiana 1927, Marie and A Wedding In Cherokee County are these absolutely perfect short stories set to music that evoke a world of magnolia trees, general stores and the darkness behind those things. Spring for the deluxe edition with the Johnny Cutler's Birthday disc. JCB was a series of demo recordings that Randy Newman cut which function as the birthing of Good Old Boys. It's insightful just to see how he got from A to B and some of the songs left off the final album such as Shining and My Daddy Knew Dixie Howell are, to crib from Chappelle's Show, splendiferous.

Someone edgeumacate me about Cannonball Adderly.
TheComedian

Post by TheComedian »

El Vez,

Somethin' Else is the Cannonball Adderley album to get. I've heard that Miles Davis put the band (Miles, Hank Jones, Sam Jones, Art Blakey) and the session together as a thank-you to Cannonball for joining the Davis quintet. It's really only nominally an Adderley album, but Cannonball plays fantastically, and Miles is in peak pithy, harmon-muted form. If you want to check out the later, more 'soul-jazz' oriented stuff, try Mercy, Mercy, Mercy - Live at the Club. The title track is one of the true (and rare) jazz 'hit singles.'

How 'bout A.C. Jobim? Anyone?
I don't care if I'm right or wrong,
Or if my typewriter can spell.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Try Know What I Mean with Bill Evans. The rhythm section is half of the modern jazz quartet - one of the great jazz records, kind of on the mellow side. I'd also recommend Milestones from his time with Miles Davis' band - also featuring Coltrane - really good shit.

Ain't got no Marshall Crenshaw - what should I have?
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

The obvious route to go would be the self-titled first record-- that's pure Crenshaw for any Buddy-Holly-loving boy, with or without problem, and I think it's just been re-issued with bonus tracks. However, I think his best record is DOWNTOWN.

Leonard Cohen? All I have is the ancient 'best of'.

PS, yes, great game!
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'm actually a big fan of Various Positions by Mr. Cohen. Cold, almost clinical sounding in places, but the songs.......

Dance Me to the End of Love, Hallelujah, Coming Back to You.....
I'd also recommend I'm Your Fan, a Cohen tribute CD with lots of great interpretations.

Been meaning to get into John Coltrane....
Last edited by pophead2k on Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Coltrane is all over the map, but these three account for solid hits in differing genre's:

John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman - only 6 songs, and les than 30 minutes long, this is the jazz afficionado's must have for lounge/lyrical/romantic jazz. Coltrane plays the perfect accompaniment to arguably one of the best golden throats ever to not be renowned as a great singer. There isn't a REAL Coltrane fan that does not know of, and completely embrace this recording, but it ain't signature Coltrane. It is, however, virtually perfect, and a top ten.

Coltrane - Soul Train - more traditional be bop jazz...actually, Bebop isn't the best descriptor but more traditional jazz where Coltrane lets it rip like only he could do. This is a masterpiece. I added this to my collection on the strength of the referral from Noiseradio a year or two ago...so this method works...it stimulates music sales.

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme. A major source of inspiration for Devadip Carlos Santana and John McLaughlin, and similar stages of their careers. This was around the time that, if I am not mistaken, John was undergoing some major personality shifts fueled by deep religion and drugs. This is a more mystical recording, more esoteric, and I wouldn't start with it, although, surprisingly, it is most often reccommended as the starting point. I disagree. I recommend the order that I have presented here. And if you buy the John Coltrane/Johnny Hartman album and you don't absolutely love it, I'll buy it from you plus 50%, because I can easily move it at that price with one casual listen.

Did I mention that I sometimes work in sales.

Oh, and this week, we are running a special on...

I need to add some real blues records to my collection...tradional stuff, not butt-rockin' modern variations, but the real stuff. ANy help?
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

The Robert Johnson Complete Recordings 2-disc set
King of the Delta Blues - Charley Patton
Any Blind Willie Johnson
Any Blind Willie McTell
1931 - Skip James
Any of the early Son House stuff is good too

Dizzy Gillespie?
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Dizzy Gillespie - Career: 1937-1992
Two discs that very nicely cover his big band experience along with plenty of impressive solo's and work with small quintets etc.

Dizzy shunned the recording studio and seemed to like to have his live recordings recorded for release. His catalog is filled with live recordings. The aformentioned reference is a good compilation.

Since MBA mentioned him recently: Stephen Malkmus. Pardon my extreme weakness in this area, but was guy the power behind Pavement, or am I completely confused.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

He was also the glory but I'll leave it to better qualifed board members as to where to start with this one.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Stephen Malkmus was the genius of Pavement, which is largely born out by the fact that his solo albums sound like really good Pavement, and Preston School of Industry sounds like mediocre Pavement. I would suggest:

Slanted and Enchanted
Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

I think S&E came out in a 10th anniversary special edition last year, too.

For solo Malkmus:
Pig Lib

Let's see...it's not really a band that I'm looking for a way into so much as it is the early 80s British indie pop scene. I got a Rough Trade comp, but I don't know where to go from there. If I have to choose a band, I guess I will go with Josef K.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The first Pavement album I bought (and still my favorite) is Brighten The Corners. For some reason it has always been ranked behind the two discs that Miss BA mentions, but I think it's brilliant and may be their most immediately accessible album.

No recommendations on Josef K, Miss BA, but if you're looking for UK indie stuff from the '80's in a Rough Trade-type style, the Fall collection, Totally Wired is outstanding (as is the new Peel Sessions box, but that's a much bigger investment).

I'm ashamed to say that I don't have any Hank Williams. Where to start?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

40 Greatest Hits and the Hank As Luke The Drifter cd which, I believe, is titled After The Sunset. Peerless, peerless stuff...

Um....Captain & Tennille anyone?
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

why, their second album "Song of Joy" cause you get both muskrat love and shop around to puke by!

Steve Forbert
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

NO WAY OILY! I just bought his latest album ("Just Like There's Nothing To It") last week. I stumbled across him at Barnes and Noble and was listening to it there in the store. I fell in love with "What it is is a dream" and "I'm in love". Great Album, but I'd love to hear some earlier stuff.

Ummm...
Jackie Greene
"Did you ever think there's far too many people in the world"?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

This has to be the best game idea....ever.....fantastic Mr Chair - take a bow!
corruptio optimi pessima
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Hold on, we haven't heard the Steve Forbert recs yet...
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

SP that was an awfully polite way of saying "Um, SMM, put down the crack pipe!"

Sorry I got all befuddled in there somewhere... 8) :D Thank you both....

Those of you not on barbiturates will know that Ms. Macbeth has asked for reccos on

Jackie Greene