First Thoughts on Costello´s 'King of America'

Pretty self-explanatory
Bob And Charlotte

First Thoughts on Costello´s 'King of America'

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

the most awaited Costello record in my collection finally arrived.

the only song that i had previously heard was the opening 'Brilliant Mistake' which was a song as good as anything that mr. Costello have done.
'Lovable' started and i got suspicious.... a typical weak Costello effort.... 'Our Little Angel' redeemed the whole thing (one of the album´s highlight).
While the version of 'Don´t Let Me Be Missunderstood' is , at least , unnecessary, 'Indoor Fireworks', arguably the best song in the bunch, gain alone a star to the album and with 'Little Palaces' i noticed that i was listening something special.

I smoke a cigarette and enjoy the experience.... the album was trustable.

'American Without Tears' is another obvious stand out track and only 'Poisoned Rose' don´t deserve a mention.

If it´s not on my top 5 Elvis Costello albums right now, it might as well be in my top 3 tomorrow or any other day.

'Now it seems we've been crying for years and for years/Now I don't speak any English, just American without tears...'
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Give it another listen or 20. KOA will grow on you big time. I wasn't blown away at first listen either. But then ALL of the tracks fit together and it flows. Play it from beginning to end.

Usually, not always, stuff that I like at first listen is just ear candy, and for some strange reason the flavor fades quickly and I can't bear listening to it lots of times over and over again. Lenny Kravitz for example.

King of America has LAYERS of good stuff going on and has stood the test of time for my repeated listening enjoyment.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Typical weak Costello effort? Loveable is as lovable as a Costello song can get! ;)
LittleFoole

Re: First Thoughts on Costello´s 'King of America'

Post by LittleFoole »

Bob And Charlotte wrote:
......and only 'Poisoned Rose' don´t deserve a mention.
Hmmmmm... I rather enjoy Poisoned Rose ....a LOT !!! Give the album some time, like Emotional Toothpaste says......Little Palaces is another of my faves there...great stuff on KOA !!!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Keep listening Bob and Charlotte. I think there's a lot Lost In Translation :wink:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

I agree with everyone else here - KOA will become one of your favs - just give it a chance.

There are some outstanding tracks on here - some of them my all time favs such as Little Palaces, I'll wear it proudly, Jack of all parades , Sleep of the just and Suit of lights. this is one album which is hardly ever off my CD player purely because it has so very many great tracks!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I've said this elsewhere, but Poisoned Rose is one of his most underrated songs, period, and that recording is a standout on what may be his best album-- good lord, it's worth it for that bass alone, but the vocal is stunning and perfect as well. It's like an exquisite diamond of tragic love.

IMO the relatively weak-- and I do mean relatively-- tracks are Eisenhower Blues, Glitter Gulch, DLMBM and Lovable. The other ten are among my favorite songs of all time by anyone.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:I've said this elsewhere, but Poisoned Rose is one of his most underrated songs, period, and that recording is a standout on what may be his best album-- good lord, it's worth it for that bass alone, but the vocal is stunning and perfect as well. It's like an exquisite diamond of tragic love.

IMO the relatively weak-- and I do mean relatively-- tracks are Eisenhower Blues, Glitter Gulch, DLMBM and Lovable. The other ten are among my favorite songs of all time by anyone.
Agree with every word, smm. Of those relatively weak tracks you cite, Glitter Gulch is my favorite. It's just a rollicking bit of good fun. DLMBM has a ragged appeal too - like High Fidelity it was recorded when EC's voice was absolutely shredded. Lovable kind of chugs along and gets a little repetitious for my taste and Eisenhower Blues has always struck me as a bit of a throwaway.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I think DLMBM is one of the weaker tracks, but Ive always really liked it anyway. Something about his voice and the way he sings it ...

Live, "The Poisoned Rose" takes on a whole new life. Its already a great song, but to see it done in concert, it becomes phenomenal ...
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I think I have made my opinion here very clear in the past.

But, I'll go again. This is such a fabulous collection of songs. Sure, there's some I like more than others, but it's a mix of so many kinds of music and feelings - how can you resist?

Keep listening. :)
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

Now that i listen to KOA a couple of times i have come to a clearer conclusion: it is not Elvis Costello best record but its evidently a great album all the way through.

What really annoys me, not only in this album but on Blood and Chocolate and others songs too, is the 'angry moment' when Elvis suddenly shouts in an otherwise perfect pleasant chorus such as those in 'American Without Tears'.

??Do you have a clue of what am i talking about??
??Do you think that this kind of ruins the songs, or is just part of the Costello charm??

i don´t like it, anyway ...
battered old bird

Post by battered old bird »

King of America is probably the most atypical EC album and takes a while to get used to.

Having listened to it for the best part of two decades, I find it to be richly rewarding experience. The album builds to a great finale, saving the best tracks at the end doesn't make for an instant 'hit' - but once tracks like JOAP sink in there's no going back - it becomes an album that gets played often.
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

Jack of all parades & sleep of the just - gotta be 2 of EC's best ever.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Bob And Charlotte wrote:What really annoys me, not only in this album but on Blood and Chocolate and others songs too, is the 'angry moment' when Elvis suddenly shouts in an otherwise perfect pleasant chorus such as those in 'American Without Tears'.

??Do you have a clue of what am i talking about??
??Do you think that this kind of ruins the songs, or is just part of the Costello charm??

i don´t like it, anyway ...
I don't think it ruins the song.

Every now and then when Elvis sang it live he would sing "Now I don't speak any English, bitch, just American without tears". If you think the original is angry, you should hear him spit out the word "bitch".

Jack of All Parades is one of my favourite EC songs. So simple and so effective.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

[quote="Bob And Charlotte"]Now that i listen to KOA a couple of times i have come to a clearer conclusion: it is not Elvis Costello best record

Wrong!!!!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

I finally found out where A rope leash got his name.
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

King of America makes my life better - "it's as simple as that"

I like "DLMBM". He had a severe hangover when he recorded it so his voice was off.
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

selfmademug wrote: .....Poisoned Rose is one of his most underrated songs, period, and that recording is a standout on what may be his best album-- good lord, it's worth it for that bass alone, but the vocal is stunning and perfect as well. It's like an exquisite diamond of tragic love.
dang, selfmademug...... that about sums it up perfectly. And on a side note, I don't mind his take on DLMBM....I much prefer it to the original, so even if it's not "great," it's still a good thing. 8)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

VonOfterdingen wrote:King of America makes my life better - "it's as simple as that"
Couldn't have said it better myself. :wink: