Cliché poll: Ten Albums You'd Bring With You To The Moon

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

What, you don't remember Caravan of Love? (STAND up, STAND up, STAND u-UP, every woman every man...etc.)
What this world needs is more silly men.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I thought the housemartins only released one album, my brother has one called London something. I bought one of their singles once called Fan, Fan, Fan, or something like that. However, I bought it only because I thought the title was funny. Fan means "damn!" in Swedish. I was very young at the time :P.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Yeah, that's how you use the word in Swedish, and literally that title would be "Satan! Satan! Satan!"
What this world needs is more silly men.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Chrille wrote:I thought the housemartins only released one album, my brother has one called London something. I bought one of their singles once called Fan, Fan, Fan, or something like that. However, I bought it only because I thought the title was funny. Fan means "damn!" in Swedish. I was very young at the time :P.
They released two albums "London 0 Hull 4" and "The People...." plus a compilation "That's What I Call Quite Good", albeit one with numerous rarities, B-sides and outtakes.
Two of the guys went on to form one of the most popular UK bands of the 90's - The Beautiful South, and one turned to none other than Fatboy Slim.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

LittleFoole wrote:
invisible Pole wrote: The Housemartins - The People Who Grinned Themselves To Death
Have never heard the Housemartins, but that's a great album title 8) there've been more than a few times in my checkered past that I felt I might grin myself to that point, or within an inch of said point ;)
The song 'The People who...' has always appealed to me, as it's the best anti-royal song ever made. I've met many of those people who ahven't got two brass farthings, but still wax lyrical about how lovely the fucking queen is. It's time we kicked the royal cuckoos out of the nest!!!

They smiled so much and waved their flags
As she saluted to the military band
Most of the people failed to see
She had a broken bottle in the other hand
And she took them by surprise
When she took them by the throat
And said my friend you’re not allowed to vote
But they shook it all off
With a nervous laugh and cough
Next time, she said I’ll let those people choke

The people who grinned themselves to death
Smiled so much they failed to take a breath
And even when their kids were starving
They all thought the queen was charming

She polished all upon the wall
And ran her hands right through her hair
So if the lady took the time to call
All the houses on the street would not compare

And she thought it really funny
That she hadn’t any money
But those she looked up to, they had
But they shook it all off
With a nervous laugh and cough
And when they took her riches it was sad

The people who grinned themselves to death
Smiled so much they failed to take a breath
And even when their kids were starving
They all thought the queen was charming
corruptio optimi pessima
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Pet sounds - Beach Boys
KOA - EC
Veedon fleece - Van Morrison
Summerteeth - Wilco
Blonde on blonde - Bob Dylan
Gilded palace of sin - The flying burrito brothers
Gold - Ryan Adams
Whatever- Aimee Mann
Grand Prix - Teenage Fanclub
Worker's playtime - Billy Bragg
The top 2 are sacrosanct - like everyone else the rest will be different next week.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I'm enjoying your lists.

Lawngnome: I do believe you're trying to usurp my customary role as the biggest Bowie fan on this board (that's Bowie up to and not including Let's Dance, though 90s and certainly 2000s Bowie is welcome too). Odd to see Lodger picked. An unusual choice. I'd personally put Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane and Diamond Dogs (which I rediscovered via theexcellent reissue and am in love with again now) higher, but I like your originality.

WSS? - I want your list. It's made me not want to even bother submitting one of my own.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I too shall flaunt the rules -

Pecker Dunne - The Very Best of Pecker Dunne
Kristy & Jimmy McNichol - Kristy & Jimmy McNichol
Percy Faith - Latin Themes for Young Lovers
Sacrilege - Too Cool To Pray
Zamfir - Zauber der Weihnachtszeit
GBH - City Baby Attached by Rats
Fess Parker - Yarns and Songs
Vicki Carr - Me Enloqueces
Frank Stallone - Frank Stallone
Saxon - Denim and Leather
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

sorry those were the records I'm meant to take to Uranus -

For the Moon -

the usual suspects

Dylan - Blone on Blonde
EC - Imperial Bedroom
Lucinda Williams - Lucinda Williams
Louvin Brothers - Tragic Songs of Life
Ramones - Rocket to Russia
Kinks - Arthur
Bob Marley - Exodus
Willie Nelson - Red Headed Stranger
Beatles - Please Please Me
The (English) Beat - Special Beat Service
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I'm enjoying your lists.

Lawngnome: I do believe you're trying to usurp my customary role as the biggest Bowie fan on this board (that's Bowie up to and not including Let's Dance, though 90s and certainly 2000s Bowie is welcome too). Odd to see Lodger picked. An unusual choice. I'd personally put Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane and Diamond Dogs (which I rediscovered via theexcellent reissue and am in love with again now) higher, but I like your originality.

WSS? - I want your list. It's made me not want to even bother submitting one of my own.
I have just started to listen to older 'classic' Bowie to see what all the fuss is about (really). So far, Hunky Dory is the one that stands out for me.
corruptio optimi pessima
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

Jackson Monk wrote:I have just started to listen to older 'classic' Bowie to see what all the fuss is about (really). So far, Hunky Dory is the one that stands out for me.
Hey Jackson Monk, have you heard PinUps yet ??? Bowie doing covers of his favorite old r'n'r songs from his youth , or some such rubbish - I love it, it rocks !!! "Interesting" cover photo, to boot...heh :lol:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:I have just started to listen to older 'classic' Bowie to see what all the fuss is about (really). So far, Hunky Dory is the one that stands out for me.
It's one of my faves too - certainly more pop-ish than the Eno period stuff (Low, Heroes, etc.). If you like Hunky Dory I'm sure you'd like Ziggy too, but yoou probably have that already.

I always thought Scary Monsters and Outside were Bowie's two most underrated albums.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:WSS? - I want your list. It's made me not want to even bother submitting one of my own.
:D

Ah, come on - let's see yours! I had to give this some thought before responding. Sure, I'd love to have Blood On The Tracks or Get Happy!!, but perhaps not on the moon.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

quite sure about these:
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Bob Dylan - Time Out of Mind

and then (today):
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
The Beach Boys - Sunflower
The Beatles - A Hard Days Night
Elliott Smith - Figure 8
Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy
Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

This Year's Model - EC
Exile in Guyville - Liz Phair
I'm With Stupid - Aimee Mann
Gun Shy, Trigger Happy - Jen Trynin
Parallel Lines - Blondie
Version 2.0 - Garbage
Black Letter Days - Frank Black and the Catholics
You are the Quarry - Morrissey
His Band and the Street Choir - Van Morrison
Blue - Joni Mitchell
And I was happy to be alive, in a magic world.
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Lawngnome: I do believe you're trying to usurp my customary role as the biggest Bowie fan on this board (that's Bowie up to and not including Let's Dance, though 90s and certainly 2000s Bowie is welcome too). Odd to see Lodger picked. An unusual choice. I'd personally put Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane and Diamond Dogs (which I rediscovered via theexcellent reissue and am in love with again now) higher, but I like your originality.
I try. I've been into Bowie since I was a kid (ok, so like 12 years :oops:) I picked Lodger because it seemed better for the space enviroment. Hunky Dory usually gets me down, and Aladdin Sane has never been for me. And I hate the dance music junk too (LD, NLMD, and Tonight). Have you checked out the Stage and Live reissuses? I have Stage, and its actually semi-good remastered.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Blood On The Tracks - Dylan
Get Happy! - Costello
New Boots and Panties - Dury
Blood Money - Waits
Beautiful Freak - Eels
Hunky Dory - Bowie
If I should Fall From Grace With God - Pogues
Streetcore - Strummer
Franz Ferdinand
On The Beach - Young
signed with love and vicious kisses
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

Ten's gonna be hard:

Guided By Voices - Alien Lanes
Pet Sounds
The Who Sell Out
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The aeroplane Over The Sea
the Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
EC - KOA
Beatles - Revolver
Decemberists - Picaresque
PJ Harvey - Stories Of The City
Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

LittleFoole wrote:
Hey Jackson Monk, have you heard PinUps yet ??? Bowie doing covers of his favorite old r'n'r songs from his youth , or some such rubbish - I love it, it rocks !!! "Interesting" cover photo, to boot...heh :lol:
Really?? I heard it was shit.
corruptio optimi pessima
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Jackson Monk wrote:
LittleFoole wrote:
It's not bad. Not exactly one I listen to very often, but it's interesting to hear all those tracks Bowified. Mind you, I think I'd prefer a straight compilation of those tracks done by their original artists :)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

Jackson Monk wrote:
LittleFoole wrote:
It IS ...it's good shit...hehheh 8)
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

have you been smokin something Lil' foole?
corruptio optimi pessima
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

This Years Model - EC
Colour - The Christians
Older - Goerge Michael
American Idiot - Greenday
Stepping Out - Joe Jackson
The Ultimate Collection - Level 42
London Calling - The Clash
Monster - R.E.M
Labour Of love - UB40
Recurring Dream - The Very Best Of Crowded House

.........and I would also have to sneak in The Hounds Of love - Kate Bush (up my jumper!) :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

lawngnome wrote:I try. I've been into Bowie since I was a kid (ok, so like 12 years :oops:) I picked Lodger because it seemed better for the space enviroment. Hunky Dory usually gets me down, and Aladdin Sane has never been for me. And I hate the dance music junk too (LD, NLMD, and Tonight). Have you checked out the Stage and Live reissuses? I have Stage, and its actually semi-good remastered.
Latecomer! I was smitten by my 9th birthday. Hunky Dory shouldn't bring you down, just the homework. Aladdin Sane is well worth revisiting. Ziggy hits America and everything goes mental. It's great. I've got the David Live reissue, and it's superb. I love that band, and would die to have seen that tour. Ain't got as far as Stage yet, but love the idea of having it restored to its original order, rather than the very 1978 excess of splitting it up into its constituent parts. Pin Ups is kind of forgettable, to a far greater degree than Almost Blue, probably, and was less of an interesting move, though very warm-hearted in its sincerity, and an interesting way of marking how different things were between the mid-60s and 1973. I've got the Outside reissue. I can't say playing 5 versions of Heart's Filthy Lesson is something I do too often, great though it is, but agree that's a great record (though can do without the narration).
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

Um... 12 years of Bowie makes me about 5 when I was first exposed. My aunt has (well hidden) evidence of me dancing around to Jean Genie in my Princess Leia costume. Made sense at the time... Anyways, I do love Hunky Dory, but Ziggy was my first Album and nothing can quite compare to that, though Station to Station comes close. I've never actually listened to all of Outside (same for Earthling and Hours... and Tin Machine is practically a dirty word to me) but I'm still trying. It just seems like he's trying too hard, it screams Mid-life Crisis a tad to enthusiastically...

And yes, I am a thread pirate, and its good.
Last edited by lawngnome on Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.