What are you listening to?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I'm in the Mardi Gras mood and so I'm listening to: Dr. John, Prof. Longhair, Tab Benoit
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I'm in the Mardi Gras mood and so I'm listening to: Dr. John, Prof. Longhair, Tab Benoit
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

We love the Mardi Gras Mood...are you a New Orleans transplant ice nine?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Don't drop anything. Just get to work on Volume 2.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Noise, you're absolutely right.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
senior_service

Post by senior_service »

Listening to mostly reggae lately:

'The Harder They Come' soundtrack, Jimmy Cliff, The Maytals, et al
Babylon By Bus - Bob Marley & The Wailers
Catch A Fire - The Wailers
Dreader Dread - Johnny Clarke
Time Tough - Toots & The Maytals
Rockers Time Now - Johnny Clarke

The Gospel Songs of Bob Dylan......an awesome collection. Shirley Caesar will knock your socks off!!!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Just received my latest Amazon order at last (they initially sent me the wrong package of two books!).

Joe Henry - Scar
Blind Boys of Alabama - Higher Ground
Frank Black & The Catholics - Devils Workshop
ATUB reissue (I now have all the reissues)

Thanks to those who recommended the top two. I am currently listening to JH, and it is pretty damn fine.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Röyksopp - "Melody A.M." can be listened to on a lovely summer day or during that 3am insomnia attack.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Amnesiac - Radiohead
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

TRUST and Brutal Youth.......
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

the soundtrack to The Mambo Kings.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

SLL, I can't take credit for any recommendations, but I adore that FB record-- one of my very faves. Most folks I know seem to prefer BLACK LETTER DAYS but DW is just awesome.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Lately I've been digging:

- Grateful Dead live shows from 1972 (Europe '72 and a bootleg)
- The Band's 'Northern Lights, Southern Cross'
- Lucinda Williams 'World Without Tears'
- The Jayhawks' 'Rainy Day Music'
- Joni Mitchell
girl out of time

most recently

Post by girl out of time »

lots of dinah washington.....and lots of nina simone
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

My oldest son gave me a copy of Jimmy Eat World's Clarity--he said I'd really like it. Anyway, I was listening to it in the car and somehow I hit the repeat button so song #10 was on for about 15 minutes. I never noticed. The more I think about it, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, so I'm not thinking about it anymore.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, since my daughter worked her fingers to the bone helping me cater that wedding two weeks ago, I promised her a few things - one of which was the new Michelle Branch cd Hotel Paper. I know, I know, but it could have been something like Britney Spears or some real crap like that. I am familiar with Branch's first cd, but this one isn't as good.

I was a little sentimental, especially since for some reason my brother had purchased Michelle Branch's first cd just before he died. His wife said it was one of the last things he bought and she later gave it to me to play. I listened to it over and over. My brother had mostly been into alternative music and I was curious why he would have acquired this particular cd. I thought it wasn't bad for an 18 year-old with a guitar, who mostly wrote her own music. But this second cd, well, all the songs except for one or two just sound the same. My daughter even agreed when I talked to her about it.

Hey, at least she wants to share her music with me. Plus, she happily listens when I play EC. :)
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Hey Spooky, this is LTZ.

I couldn't wait any longer for the record store to get the Joe Jackson Collection I ordered, so when I saw a used Greatest Hits at a different place for 9 dollars, I had to buy it.
On 1 listen, it definitely is no EC.
Most of the songs I don't even like...yet, hopefully.

But I do like the 1st song (Is she really going out with him.)
I want someone to play that at my wedding. :D
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Glastonbury over here this weekend (Shabby, I would like a report back next week), and it's getting quite good coverage. Last night saw R.E.M do about six numbers, Primal Scream, David Gray, Athlete, and more. I think the Super Furry Animals and Radiohead are on tonight.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Just bought Apple Venus by XTC. Nice and relaxing..........
- M. Twain
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

tokyo vogue wrote:currently: talking heads - more songs about buildings and food. i bought it today at the record castle for 3 bucks. go me.
Go you indeed! What a bargain that was.

and OtisW added
So many favourites on that one - Warning Sign, Found A Job, The Big Country, all brilliant, and all still vital.
Not too many people cite "Found a Job," Otis, but it's brilliant as you say, and one of my very favourites. "Thank You for Sending Me an Angel" and "Artists Only" are on that album too, and they were among the first songs I ever heard the band play; also "I'm Not in Love" (not the 10cc one) and "Take Me to the River." All in all, a wonderful album!

Lately for me, it's Lucinda Williams, World Without Tears
Sam Phillips, Omnipop (It's Only a Flesh Wound Lambchop)
My Morning Jacket, Chocolate and Ice EP
John Cale, 5 Tracks EP

and I just bought the Masked and Anonymous soundtrack, with four new Dylan songs. It has a bonus disc with 6 SACD tracks from the new reissues due soon.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Just found a copy of Steve Nieve's Keyboard Jungle (CD). It's good in the background, but not really worth paying much money for (which I didn't).
Last edited by bambooneedle on Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

The Ramones-- "Hey Ho Let's Go!" Anthology.

Transferred this to cassette so I can play it in the car...great, fun stuff.

Gave one of my son's 16-year-old friends a shock last Monday...was stranded at home with my car in the shop, had both CD's in the machine, and cranked up loud enough to be heard through my front door. Drinking beer, playing on my computer (actually, working on our CD Package Design), when somebody raps on the front door.

So, I answer the door, and this kid just about jumps out of his shoes. Found out later he thought my son was home alone...I mean, "Mom's" just don't DO these kind of things!!

Later on, after he got over the shock, he told me how "cool" he thinks the Ramones are...one of his High School teachers turned him on to them a few months ago.

Damn...you mean I'm "cool?" Will miracles never cease....

8)
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

time to yank this thread back up to the sunlight:

"God Save the Smithereens" - The Smithereens

why does this album make me so happy??

excellent cover of Gloomy Sunday - this was my intro to this song, and it's lovely.

maybe it's just my college memories and flashes of john cusack films that keeps this album alive for me. i play it alot at the office. gotta do what i can to keep me happy here. :)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

The Police - Regatta De Blanc. Probably my favorite of all their albums.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Anyone heard Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros' new single? Fucking excellent. Think it's called "Coma Girl".