I just bought the Costello & Nieve 5 CD box set on eBay

Pretty self-explanatory
Pov

I just bought the Costello & Nieve 5 CD box set on eBay

Post by Pov »

I paid about $100 US for it. A decent price I think. I lost out on 1 auction a few days ago with a bid of $120. What do you all think? Anyway, I can't wait to listen to it!
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

It's wonderful, I think you will love it.

My favorite CD is the first, Live at the Troubadour, with brilliant readings of "Temptation" (in a new arrangement) and "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself," among others. But all five CDs are great, you are in for a treat.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Hey POV~
I just bought the Costello/Nieve box set from e-bay last week for $96 and change, mint condition and I just received it today! I can't wait to go through it. It's in excellent condition, the box and everything.
I'm so excited to have it!!
:D
I'm not angry anymore....
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

They should reissue the fucker!
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Mr. Misery wrote:It's wonderful, I think you will love it.

My favorite CD is the first, Live at the Troubadour, with brilliant readings of "Temptation" (in a new arrangement) and "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself," among others. But all five CDs are great, you are in for a treat.
I'm partial to the Supper Club show. You don't get to hear "Black Sails in the Sunset" and "You'll Never Be A Man" (two real favorites) too often live. Plus, it's a treat to get "Just A Memory" with the verse EC added for Dusty Springfield.

Of course, I'm also partial to the Filmore disc, as I was at the show. The audience requested "Ship of Fools" made for a touching performance (even if he stumbled through the words a bit) and "My Dark Life" had it's live debut (and only acoustic airing, for that matter).
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

I bought the Box set when it was new, for about US$30. It a great collection; reminds me very much of seeing EC and Nieve live. Same energy--it's gorgeous.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Maybe I'm just not exposed to the 'proper' media outlets, but c'mon....is Mr. Steve Nieve grossly underrated or what?
The man is totally awesome!
I am so hoping and praying that I will be one of the lucky fans to get tickets to EC (who I am assuming will be playing w/Steve in support of North) in New York in September. I haven't seen just the two of them.
They're so fantastic together.
I'm not angry anymore....
jack of parades

Post by jack of parades »

Yeah, when people are always on Elvis to release a live album, I think its kinda ridiculous. He already released five discs of a great one.

I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself is outstanding, and it has my favorite version ever of Watching the Detectives. Speaking of Mister Steve Nieve, he really comes into his own on this one.

And All the Rage beats the Brutal Youth version hands down. The song is good no matter what, but for me it is superior to hear it freed from the obvious '50's influence.
Pov

Post by Pov »

SweetPear wrote:Maybe I'm just not exposed to the 'proper' media outlets, but c'mon....is Mr. Steve Nieve grossly underrated or what?
The man is totally awesome!
I am so hoping and praying that I will be one of the lucky fans to get tickets to EC (who I am assuming will be playing w/Steve in support of North) in New York in September. I haven't seen just the two of them.
They're so fantastic together.
I've been thinking the same thing about Steve, and I haven't even heard the boxed set yet. Just listen to the piano work in ATUB. Also, his organ work pretty much defined Elvis's sound for me on the earlier albums.

What's the deal with New York? I've heard rumors of a Town Hall show, but not much else.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

got my copy of the box set yesterday. paid $86 for it, on ebay.

box is not mint, but the discs are fine. sounds GREAT!!! very happy.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
the poisoner

Post by the poisoner »

that's a great deal ,poppet.
i got mine about 6 months ago on half.com for 100 even and it was worth every penny.
what i enjoy most is the interaction with the audience.
and his rip on that music mag, i think on the chicago disc.

steve nieve is well under-rated.
i was able to see the imposters with elvis at the tabernacle in atlanta last november and it was amazing watching and listening to nieve play.

since that time i take extra care to listen to his parts on the my cds.
oh, i useta be disgusted
now i try to be amused
Pov

Post by Pov »

Well, I just received the discs yesterday. I'm a bit disappointed because the seller told me the set was in "great" condition, but I would say "decent" is more like it. I guess I'm not THAT disappointed since I'm not going to raise a fuss about it.

I ripped all the discs to my mp3 player and started to listen to the LA disc. After the first couple of songs I didn't want to turn it off but it was getting late. I'll start over again today on the train ride home.