The Office - US version...

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

The Office - US version...

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Any thoughts? I watched the first two episodes this weekend with my wife and was pleasantly surprised. I liked Steve Carrell (sp?) when he was on The Daily Show, and he does a fine job here - a little different from Gervais in a very American way, but with a lot of the same characteristics. It'll probably get cancelled. Way too dark and cynical for the zeitgeist. Good to see that dweeb from "Six Feet Under" branching out. I miss Arthur.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

I have heard great things about the UK version and an anxious to see it unless it is like the American version. That was one of the worst things I have ever watched
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Come on, it wasn't that bad, was it?
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

I hated it. The guy who played the boss was horrible. I get his character but still thought it was silly and overacted. I even found the whole thing unbelieveable after a while. How could someone like that have and hold onto that position and still have people work for him.

I really hope the UK version is better
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

crash8_durham wrote:I hated it. The guy who played the boss was horrible. I get his character but still thought it was silly and overacted. I even found the whole thing unbelieveable after a while. How could someone like that have and hold onto that position and still have people work for him.
You've obviously never worked in the kind of places I've worked in. I think Carrell's character is less subtle than Gervais' is for sure, but we're a less subtle people on the whole (SLL excepted :wink:) . It made me laugh at times, but from the ratings I've seen, it sounds like I'm in the minority. More reality TV on the horizon I reckon.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I only saw the first episode, but I'd say they do a pretty good job -- though it needs to find it's own voice apart from the BBC show.

As most "Daily Show" fans know, Steve Carrall is at least a minor comedy genius, though that's not neccessarily the same thing as being a good actor. Still, I think its possible that the show could become at least as good as the amazing British version. (Which does, in fact, remind me of a great many offices, I've worked in, right down to the sometimes mindboggling incompetance. Of course, my current office is naught but a paragon of business virtue. )
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I watched the first episode and liked it a lot.

Then Red and I rented the first season of the UK version on DVD and I was surprised at how much the first episode stole from the UK version. Then we watched the rest of Series 1 of the UK version and were hooked.

By the time it rolled around the 2nd episode of the US version we didn't bother. Let me know if it ever starts straying away from the UK version and maybe I'll start watching :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Having watched the first season of the UK version on DVD, I didn't really see the point of the first episode of the US version. It was almost exactly the same script, but for some reason, I find the English much funnier than Americans when it comes to that kind of humor.

Totally off-topic: Did anyone notice that both Dawn and Tim were in "Shaun of the Dead"? Now that is a hilarious piece of work...
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

miss buenos aires wrote:
Totally off-topic: Did anyone notice that both Dawn and Tim were in "Shaun of the Dead"? Now that is a hilarious piece of work...
"Shaun, I'm sorry." :lol:
miss buenos aires

Sorry for what?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

"No....I'm sorry."

Another favorite... "Yeah boyeee!"
miss buenos aires

"I didn't want to be a bother..."
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

ED: Purple Rain?
SHAUN: No.
ED: Sign O' The Times?
SHAUN: Definitely not.
ED: The Batman soundtrack?
SHAUN: Throw it!
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I really didnt like the US version, which disappointed me since I really love the UK version. I had to force myself to sit through the first episode, but it was tough. Its kind of strange since it was virtually the exact same script, except Tim became Jim, little changes like that ...

But something was missing. It didnt have that same awkward finesse to it or something. It seemed less natural. Not nearly as funny.
Declanation

Brit's better

Post by Declanation »

Was not very impressed with the first couple American episodes. The Brit version is hard to live up to. I don't see it lasting much more than a few more episodes before it gets the axe.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I am not sure where I stand on the US version just yet. Seems they used the first episode as a jumping off point. Keeping to that original script. I will keep watching, & am hopeful it can find it's own voice.

It does surprise me how many people here refer to the UK version as being funny. My first thoughts when I think of the show are how often it makes me wince or makes me squirm or makes me hide my eyes behind my hands. I often forget that it makes me laugh. It strikes me as a comedy where being funny is often an afterthought. And that is why it is so successful.

The US version seems to want me to laugh, & maybe that is where it is going to lose the viewers who have seen the original.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I thought I'd dig this up since Season 3 of the U.S. version of The Office begins on Thursday night.

As a fan of the UK series, I initially avoided this version because it seemed to mostly deliver the same dialogue and jokes translated from English into American. Plus the UK version got away with a lot more vulgarity and off-colour humour.

But something happened during the second season... suddenly the storylines were original and characters more developed than in the UK version. Not that the UK version had much time to develop more than a few characters considering it only lasted like 12 episodes and a special.

I wouldn't say the U.S. version of The Office has become better than the UK version, but it is definitely capable of co-existing at this point. The writing has gotten pretty sharp. It's about as cutting-edge as U.S. network TV can be (i.e. stuff shown on NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox as opposed to pay TV). The Emmy it recently picked up for Best Comedy was well-deserved.
Last edited by BlueChair on Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I really enjoy it. The writing has been very good from about ths middle of the first season on. As you say, it's kind of found its own voice - and I like almost anything Steve Carrell is involved with. The rare instance of a UK TV concept being exported to North America and actually working well.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Remember that Season 1 was only six episodes. It takes that long for any series to find its way in the US. Season 2 was VERY strong. And while I still prefer the Uk version, I adore the US version now. Can't wait for season 3.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I remember one of the earlier episodes (the second episode of the first season perhaps?) being almost completely derivative of the UK show. I was a little disappointed and ready to write it off as another failed experiment, then it got pleasantly weird and I was hooked.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

"Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration"

"What line of work are you in, Bob?"
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I'm totally hooked.

And I'll admit it: all I want to know is what happens with Jim & Pam! I really really hope they do a good job with this. There's so much potential for the show to go downhill if they let them hook up at this point, but then... she can't be married to Roy, can she??

Very very anxious for Thursday :)
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

The thing you have to do with this show is pretend while you're watching it that the UK version never existed. Dwight Shrute is a great character, but comparing him to Gareth Keenan is tricky. Rainn Wilson has made him his own. And I think Steve Carrell is brilliant as Michael Scott. He could never play David Brent, but he's fantastic as Michael Scott. he show is at its best when it goes its own way; that's for sure. But even the episodes that are similar are really good in the US version. Diversity Day was aMAZing.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

"So, Oscar, you're a Mexican?"
"Yes, Michael"
"Is there anything less objectionable you'd like to be referred to as?"

I shouldn't use quotes above, because I'm going from memory, but Michael is the new Archie Bunker. This show is brilliant. I loved the UK too, but this is just a different flavor of show.

Diversity Day, Daughter to Work Day, and Booze Cruise are all exceptional. Can't wait for Thursday night.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

I haven't seen the US version except in clips, but I was annoyed, in even those brief clips! how much the actor playing the American Tim stole his whole schtick from Martin Freeman. Now that's just going too far!
noiseradio wrote:comparing him to Gareth Keenan is tricky
Or maybe pointless! Kidding, since as I mentioned I haven't seen the US version, but Gareth Keenan is one of the funniest characters written and acted on TV, imo. I had to tell my son that Mackenzie Crook (what a name!) was much, much funnier in The Office than in the Pirates of the Caribbean films.

I'm sure you've all seen this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/gareth/