TULSA - CAIN'S BALLROOM SETLIST - MAR 17

Pretty self-explanatory
ElvisKansasFan

TULSA - CAIN'S BALLROOM SETLIST - MAR 17

Post by ElvisKansasFan »

All, There is a lot to write about last night's show at the legendary Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa. I'm at work right now so those stories will be posted tonight. However, I wanted to take honors of posting this 100% accurate setlist from last night which was "Almost Blue" flavored. Elvis came on at 9:31PM and performed for 1 hour and 45 minutes.

1. The Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes
2. Uncomplicated
3. Clown Strike
4. Radio Radio
5. Country Darkness
6. Needle Time
7. Blame It On Cain
8. Either Side of the Same Town
9. I Don't Want to Go to Chelsea
10. Clubland - included beautiful instrumental reprise with "I'm So Pretty"
11. Sittin' and Thinkin'
12. Sweet Dreams
13. Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down
14. Crying Time (Duet with America's 1st Female Rock-n-Roller - Wanda Jackson)
15. Kinder Murder
16. Watching the Detectives
17. The Delivery Man
18. Monkey to Man
19. Mystery Dance
20. Why Don't You Love Me (like you used to do)?
21. The Story in Your Voice
22. Alison / Suspicious Minds
23. Pump It Up
24. Peace, Love and Understanding
25. The Scarlet Tide
Last edited by ElvisKansasFan on Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul and Jacqueline Linnabary
Your Elvis Costello Fans in Wichita, Kansas
The Heartland of America
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

14. Crying Time (Duet with America's 1st Female Rock-n-Roller - Wanda Jackson)
Wanda on stage with Elvis !!!!!
Cool!!!!

see

http://www.wandajackson.com/main.html
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Daniel Foote writes on the eclistserv

OK, where do I begin???
I hope I don't steal most of the other guy's story.
First, EC finally came to my state after I was born (he was at Cain's in
'78)
Second, it was standing room versus the last time I saw him (50 yards away
in some side section :( )
so I was only about 15 feet from him, right next to Paul from Kansas.
Me and Paul are on the Lost Highway Streetteam and got to meet and I had
planned to do my duty and pass out promo goodies to the crowd as they left.

Yeah, so EC said something like "If my arithmetic is correct, it's been just
as long since the last time that I was here, as the time between Bob Willis'
last time and my last time" Or something like that.
Cain's Ballroom is the "Home" of Bob Willis (Wills? mind blank).
Then he said something like, "It's been a lot longer since St. Patrick made
an appearance" (It was St. Pat's yesterday)
"Well, we don't have any irish songs, but we do have some good ol' drinkin'
songs"
Then they broke out "Sittin and Thinkn"
Right when they finished, I figured I knew what they might be up to, and so
I start yelling, "BOTTLE LET ME DOWN! BOTTLE LET ME DOWN!"
Well, they did "Sweet Dreams" and I was belting out every word.
Then, if I heard right, EC said, "This one was wanted"
Thus, "Tonight the Bottle Let me Down".
Then, EC starts saying something like, "We've got a little surprise for you
tonight, we've got a special guest that Davey? and I recorded a song with a
while back. This person is as rock and roll as you can get, and every single
one of you need to call the Hall of Fame, call your senator, call Bush, and
tell them that this person should have been in the Rock and Roll Hall of
Fame a LONG time ago."
--Here's where I start thinkin, "NO WAY! NO WAY! IT CAN'T BE!" because of
course, this was in Oklahoma, and I KNOW EC said something about this person
being from "your state"
Then, "Ladies and gentleman, the great Wanda Jackson"
So I start yelling "CRYING TIME! CRYING TIME!"
Anyways. Yeah, so I finally got to see Wanda Jackson also.

Now the crazy part. Since I'm on the Streetteam and had passed out a lot of
promo stuff for all the artists on the label and logged it, I was able to
claim two complimentary tickets to the show.
When I got to the will-call window, they gave me two sticker patches that
said guest on them, and I was like, "What does this mean?" cause the
streetteam people never said anything about that.

So when the show was over, I managed to catch Pete Thomas' attention and
asked him that I was on the label street team and wondered what the Guest
things were for.
Before I knew it, he pulled me and my girlfriend behind the ropes and had us
wait for the tour manager. When he came, with a few other lucky people, we
were taken back to the little lounge where EC was in what looked like his
"North" coat, and a scarf, a little Hank Willams lapel pin, and a
grandpa/trucker style Hank Williams hat.
So I finally got to meet him, got autographs and pictures.

So, now I have a "I've meet EC" story.
Ok, I'm tired of typing now.

Daniel Foote
Danny Costello
http://www.CostellosRock.com
ElvisKansasFan

Great Job Daniel!

Post by ElvisKansasFan »

All,

The old man (me) and Daniel (much younger than I) had a great time last night in spite of the nice, but very tall and wide guerillas standing in front of us. We were four deep from the stage. Daniel is young and easily rebounded from the concert while I'll turn 50 this year, I had a 183 mile trip home and I had to work today. I am thoroughly exhausted. Thus, I am going to take a nap before expanding on some of Daniel's concert notes and I'll add some of my own. In spite of this being one of the shorter sets on the tour this year, it surely was still one of the best as the crowd was simply energetic and enthusiatic, Elvis was in a great mood and he definitely is in awe of Cain's Ballroom and what it represents to American music history.
Paul and Jacqueline Linnabary
Your Elvis Costello Fans in Wichita, Kansas
The Heartland of America
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis Costello and the Imposters rocked during their Thursday night performance at the Cain’s Ballroom.
TOM GILBERT / Tulsa World

http://www.tulsaworld.com/NewsStory.asp ... Elvis21154

Elvis left his mark on the building

By MATT GLEASON

World Scene Writer
3/19/2005

Elvis Costello, whose picture hangs in the Cain's Ballroom, did everything right Thursday night

"For all things good and holy, SHUT--UP!" That's what I was thinking Thursday night at the Cain's Ballroom as Elvis Costello stood to the side of the stage, unmiked and singing a brief section of his moving, acoustic ballad "The Scarlet Tide" like a street-corner balladeer.

There he was, the man behind his trademark glasses, playing to a packed house and singing the last song of the night and blowing my mind.

You see, to hear Costello's voice naked of amplification was something akin to savoring a tiny bit of jasmine in a garbage dump. My ears wanted to hold onto the faintest sound for as long as possible before it flittered away. If only everyone -- I mean everyone -- could have zipped their traps and let Costello's emotive voice be fully heard.

That aside, Costello did everything right Thursday.

Every song had power to it, from the frenetic rockers to slow ballads full of literate, thought-provoking imagery.

He wasn't alone, though. His three-man band, the Imposters, were, you might say, the musical attractions aside from Costello, especially keyboardist Steve Nieve. The Tim Burton-looking gent's fingers lit his black and whites and let them explode in upbeat, zippy melodies, but also played intimate, emotional lines that colored the songs in deep blues and purples. Nieve could have run away like a bandit with the show if Costello weren't the captivating bloke he is on stage.

While the entire set never lulled, it must be said that its sparkling gems were familiar tunes like "Pump It Up," "Radio Radio," "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding" and "Alison," which was masterfully blended with Elvis Presley's classic "Suspicious Minds."

Alas, Costello didn't play "Veronica" or "Everyday I Write the Book," but that was a forgivable sin.

Although the older material was like a fizzy burst of nostalgia, Costello's new tunes were less familiar to the tongue but almost as sweet.

Costello played a chunk of those new ditties during a series of new songs from his quasi-concept album "The Delivery Man," which tells the story of a killer named Abel and his effect on a group of three small-town women.

He began the series with the almost Southern gothic tune "Country Darkness" that finds a woman daydreaming about forbidden sins. "Needle Time" was impressively slowed down at one point to a swaggering, bluesy pace that allowed him to create a dramatic backdrop to wickedly sing "needle time" like a junkie ready for a fix. He then punctuated that line with short, tortured yells that sounded like a sinner burning for earthly crimes.

Beyond the new songs, since it was St. Patrick's Day and all, Costello admitted he didn't know any Irish songs but would play some drinking tunes anyway before launching into the pub-friendly "Sittin And Thinkin.' "

That one deserved a tip of the bottle to the man on stage, who's probably no stranger to drowning his sorrows in tall glasses of ale.

That drinking ditty got Costello thinking about the first time he played the Cain's back in '78. Back then, because of the venue's country music heritage, Costello started out the show with three Hank Williams songs. The crowd thought he was nuts, apparently, but Costello told everyone Thursday night that, despite what some might think, "Hank is punk rock."

Amen.

One of the highlights of the show came when Costello invited Oklahoma's own Wanda Jackson, the Queen of Rockabilly, on stage to play the slow, country ballad "Crying Time," which they recorded together on Jackson's disc "Heart Trouble."

The diminutive legend with the black ball of hair atop her head shared lines with Costello and then they both sang lines sadder than a dog with three legs.

Before they sang, Costello told the crowd they should all write to everyone they could, including President Bush, to get Jackson in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

After the show, I wandered into Bob's, the venue's smaller room, and saw there on the wall, Costello's concert poster from way back in the day.

The gent behind the nerdy-looking glasses was pictured inside a tiny little TV with bunny ears. His suit looked tight and he seemed every bit the earnest, passionate musician posed with his electric six string.

More than a quarter century after that poster was made, Costello returned to the Cain's and proved that age may have tamed the man in the picture but not his music.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/pic/05/05 ... indy_young

Elvis, 2005-03-17: Tulsa, Cain's Ballroom - with the Imposters
With Wanda Jackson
Photos courtesy of Cindy Young© 2005.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.gtrnews.com/greater-tulsa-re ... r-28-years

Greater Tulsa Reporter, April 26 ' 05

Elvis Costello Returns to Historic Cain’s After 28 Years

By KEVIN DUKE
Contributing Writer

The music stopped for a moment at the Cain’s ballroom, but only because the performer on stage had a few words for the crowd.

“You know,” he said as the crowd quieted, “I had the chance to look around this historic place while we were setting up this afternoon, and the history here just blows me away.”

“All the people who have played here, it’s really humbling to a guy like me to see all the great performers up on the wall. So I’m checking out all the posters and recognize one from the last time I played here.”

“That poster was from 1977, and it made me realize… man, am I old.”

And with that, Elvis Costello, the aging, paunchy, geeky and yet somehow still cool, English rocker ripped into his next tune … and the St. Patrick’s Day crowd went nuts.

Costello played to a packed house at the Cain’s in 1977 and this show was no different, just 28 years later.

The 50-something Costello has been entertaining audiences since the mid-70’s with his unusual blend of rock-a-billy and blues, with heart-rending ballads and a little punk thrown in.

With his own unique vocal stylings, the singer, who looks more like a computer nerd than a rock and roll star, belted out fan favorites for almost two hours.

“He is such a geek, but man he has got to be the coolest geek ever,” said one fan.

Crowd favorites included everything from the slow ballad “Allison,” to hip and energized dance tunes like “Watching the Detectives,” and probably his biggest hit in the states, “Pump It Up.”

His first trip back to the recently renovated ballroom in almost three decades left both him and the crowd appreciating Tulsa’s historic music hall all the more.

“You are so lucky in Tulsa to have a venue with all the history this place has,” continued the singer after another song. “This place is a special landmark to Tulsa and to all the musicians who come here.”

The renovation includes a new stage, an entire new wing with another bar and the Cain’s “Wall of Fame,” which fills two walls with posters from acts at the ballroom as far back as the 1950’s.

New men’s and women’s facilities were also added, something the ballroom had been in need of for many years.“I hadn’t been here since the renovation,” said one fan, “I really like all the improvements. The place is much easier to get around, and there hasn’t been a line at the restrooms all night.”
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://wandajackson.com/pages/rockhall.html

May 2005

To Whom It May Concern:

This is to propose that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame finally nominates Wanda Jackson for induction. For heaven's sake, the whole thing risks ridicule and having the appearance of being a little boy's club unless it acknowledges the contribution of one of the first women of rock and roll.

It might be hard to admit but the musical influence of several male pioneers is somewhat obscure today. Even though their records will always be thrilling, their sound is not really heard in echo.

Look around today and you can hear lots of rocking girl singers who owe an unconscious debt to the mere idea of a woman like Wanda. She was standing up on stage with a guitar in her hands and making a sound that was as wild and raw as any rocker, man or woman, while other gals were still asking, "How much is that doggy in the window?"…

It is strange to find myself a member the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame while there seem still be a number of notable absentees. I'd like to be able to send the museum some old guitar that I played in '77, with a good heart and clear conscience. Right now I'd be embarrassed to see it on display in a glass case in Cleveland while Wanda is still rocking and still missing from the Hall…

Come on you guys. DO THE RIGHT THING…HELP INDUCT WANDA…

Yours through music,

Elvis Costello
E*C*RIDER

Post by E*C*RIDER »

johnfoyle wrote:... For heaven's sake, the whole thing risks ridicule and having the appearance of being a little boy's club unless it acknowledges the contribution of one of the first women of rock and roll.
Wow, ever so well said Elvis. And, as always, pithy and delightfully amusing.

And as this planet's latest, greatest rock'n'roll cut reminds us:

"It's been headed this way since the world began
When a vicious creature made the jump from Monkey to Man..."

Go on Elvis, get stuck in.

[hi all & thanks for this johnfoyle]
"...i feel almost possessed,
so long as i don't lose this glorious distress..."