Music for your funeral

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Ha' Penny Millionaire

Post by Ha' Penny Millionaire »

Fun topic:

INTO THE WEST (from The Return of the King) .

Must be performed by Annie Lennox, though, or no dice.
It's a living, this is the life.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Mr. Average wrote:This is a powerful song that starts out somber and melancholy but blossoms into a soaring, arching, triumphant instrumental that transitions the listener from quiet introspection to hopeful, even exhilarating, thoughts
Kinda similar to Van the Man's aforementioned Spirit, though that has words, of course. Anyone know it? Starts very, very low key, then explodes into the most incredible chorus 'Oh no never let spirit die'.

When you've given up hope & you're down in despair
When you've given up-
And you sit in your room and you're all alone
And you turn to the one and you turn inside
For a while
Say, help me, angel.

Oh, no, never let spirit die.
Oh, no, spirit don't ever die.
Oh, no, never let spirit die
Spirit don't ever die.

And you go inside for a while
And you turn to the one
And you turn inside for a while.
You turn it around
And you follow the road
And you get you back out
And you follow the road
Then you get you back home
And you follow the road
And you get you back out
And you follow the road
And you get you back home.

Oh, no, never let spirit die
Oh. no, never let spirit die
Oh, no, spirit don't ever die . . .
Spirit, don't ever die

And you keep walkin' on
And you keep walkin' on
Spirit in your soul
You keep walkin' on
And you keep walkin' on
And you turn it around
And you turn it around . . .
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

These Van Morrison 'anthems' are typically worth the price of an entire CD. I don't have this song, but I would like to acquire it after reading the posts and the lyrics. Given that VAn often has multiple opportunities to pick up a single song (same song, different CD titles) what do you recommend as the best overall package with this song on it. I'll have it in the collection by tomorrow, but it will need to age for awhile before it can be pulled out for my funeral.

I'm no expert as I currently own only a few from his vast catalogue:
Poetic Champions Compose ("Someone Like You" - oh golly!)
Back on Top ("When the Leaves come Falling Down" - beautiful song!)
Enlightenment (So Quiet in Here" and "In the Days Before Rock and Roll" where he pays homage to Fats Domino (or is it Fats Waller?), Elvis (the Pres) Lightning Hopkins, Sonny Boy Williamson, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Ray Charles (referred to as the high priest), Jerry Lee Lewis, and Little Richard. Anyone know who Lester Piggott was??)
Wavelength (my favorite "Natalia")

What's next? Point and shoot....
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

My tip: Start with Moondance and Into The Music, then go on to Astral Weeks and beyond.

His best, chronologically:

(The Story Of Them feat. VM double CD with everything)

Phase 1:
1. Astral Weeks - Jazz musicians playing to acoustic guitar rambling Van's stoned reminiscing of his childhood. I'm sure Van didn't open his eyes once during the singing of these songs. One of the best and most original ever, Madame George is my favourite recording of all time. And then there's the title track, Cyprus Avenue, The Way Young Lovers Do and Sweet Thing.
2. Moondance - The Band's soul sound, hit after hit - And It Stoned Me, Moondance, Crazy Love, Caravan, Into The Mystic...and that's just side 1
3. St. Dominic's Preview - great mix of the two above sounds. Jackie Wilson Said swings, Listen To The Lion floats
4. It's Too Late to Stop Now (live double) - one of the most uplifting live albums of all time, great covers (Ray Charles, Bobby Bland, Sam Cooke...), some of his best solo stuff & a couple of Them favourites.
(5. Veedon Fleece - back in Ireland and the instrumentation of Astral Weeks, but more quiet and subdued, alot of people's fave but I'm not as hooked on this as the aforementioned albums. It does include Linden Arden Stole The Highlights and You Don't Pull No Punches, But You Don't Push The River though.)

Phase 2:
6. Into The Music - A must-have. The title says it all. After a couple of years of musical confusion and halfassed rehashings of old ideas Van's confident and forwardlooking again, but often by looking back, of course. Practically every track is killer, but some highlights are Bright Side Of The Road (effortlessly blending banjo and horns, Celtic soul at its best), Full Force Gale (fast rocker, unlike EC's incredible cover with the Farfield Four), You Make Me Feel So Free, And The Healing Has Begun, and It's All In The Game/You Know What They're Writing About, where Van crams max emotion into lines like "Meet me down by the PYLONS! (shouted)"
(7. Beautiful Vision - a personal fave despite the dated eighties sound. Includes Dweller On The Threshold, Vanlose Stairway, Cleaning Windows and the first and easily best of many meditative eighties instrumentals, Scandinavia. Also a quiet, sad and beautiful song about his daughter who he's not allowed to see, Across The Bridge Where Angels Dwell )
8. No Guru, No Method, No Teacher - Another Back To Ireland record, this one doesn't sound dated at all despite coming out in the mideighties. The sound of A Town Called Paradise sounds like Astral Weeks all over again, and In The Garden and I Saw You Through A Foreign Window are two of his best songs. Also includes One Irish Rover.
9. Irish Heartbeat (with the Chieftains) - Fantastic record of traditional songs as well as the definitive version of Kavanagh's Raglan Road (with Van on drums and vocals, believe it or not) and Van's Irish Heartbeat and Celtic Ray. If you think you've heard too many versions of Star Of The County Down or Carrickfergus, think again, especially the latter is majestic. And it's worth the price for Marie's Wedding alone, if only for hearing the old grinch sing "Step we gaily, on we go! Heel for heel and toe for toe, arm in arm in a row in a row..."
(10. Avalon Sunset - a bit too slick, with Have I Told You Lately and the pleasant Cliff Richard duet Whenever God Shines His Light being the most wellknown tracks. But there's also the fantastic short spoken Coney Island leading into the beautiful simple I'm Tired Joey Boy, and then When Will I Ever Learn To Live In God?)

Phase 3:
11. A Night In San Francisco (live double) - jazz, R&B and soul revue with LONG improvised cover medleys and guests like John Lee Hooker and Jimmy Witherspoon. Also great selections from his own career like Moondance going into My Funny Valentine, and In The Garden incorporating You Send Me.
12. Back On Top - His records from the last ten years or so offer no surprises but are good listening nonetheless. This is the most inspired. When The Leaves Come Falling Down is one of the most gorgeous songs he's recorded and the determined blues beat of Going Down Geneva always gets me in a good mood. The next record Down The Road is more of the same (Steal My Heart Away taking the Leaves' cue and Chopping Wood resembling Geneva. Also includes Fast Train, which Solomon Burke did better.)

...so you seem to have just one of his best, in my book.
What this world needs is more silly men.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

The theme music from The Omen (Ave Satani) played at deafening volume, to scare the pants out of everyone.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Mr. Average wrote:... "In the Days Before Rock and Roll" where he pays homage to Fats Domino (or is it Fats Waller?), Elvis (the Pres) Lightning Hopkins, Sonny Boy Williamson, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Ray Charles (referred to as the high priest), Jerry Lee Lewis, and Little Richard. Anyone know who Lester Piggott was??)....
The line "Fats did not come in" suggests (to me) "I hear you knockin' (but you can't come in)" by Fats Domino ...

... Lester Piggott was a very successful English jockey who's career began in the 50s ...

... and, in case you didn't know, Luxembourg etc are European radio stations that would have been just about listenable on medium wave, in Ireland, in the evening.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I've been revisiting Gillian Welch's TIME (THE REVELATOR) cuzza all the recent talk here. I couldn't remember why I put that CD away, because I remembered thinking it was incredibly beautiful. And then I remembered-- I'd bought it just after it was released, maybe late July or August of 2001, after reading a phenomenal review, and was just getting to know it, and then, bam, September 11th. I put all my sad music away for a while, in fact, I put music away entirely for a few weeks. And then I never got back to this one.

But listening to it again now, I recall how much I love the sweet '30s cowboy sadness of DEAR SOMEONE, and I think that one would be a good funeral one if I went as I am now, with no dear someone. Nice to think about finding that in another place, no?
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

me and my wife actually talked about this same topic after seeing the movie Love Actually when Liam Neeson's character bids farewell to his wife with a Bay City Rollers song (i think, I don't remember.)

my choices were Elvis Costello's "Couldn't Call it Unexpected No. 4"
Jolie Holland's "Black Stars" and "We'll Meet Again" as song by Johnny Cash
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

strangerinthehouse wrote:me and my wife actually talked about this same topic after seeing the movie Love Actually when Liam Neeson's character bids farewell to his wife with a Bay City Rollers song (i think, I don't remember.)
Isn't it his wife who's bidding goodbye to him?
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

KingH is pretty much on the money as far as Van the Man goes - though I would add 1974s live double "Its too late to stop now" - its a fantastic record - also the album that Spirit is from - 1980s "Common One" is a classic record containing the epics "Summertime in England" and "When Heart is Open".
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

I see Van is playing a few dates in NYC....anybody going? Has anyone here seen him live?
WOW! If you have.
I'm not angry anymore....
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

It's Too Late To Stop Now is my #4, IDIOT!!!

(just kidding, sorry, thought I was WHAR there for a moment)

I think half of Common One (Haunts Of Ancient Peace, Satisfied and Spirit) is excellent, but for the rest...Wild Honey is OK and the two epics (over 15 minutes each) are sometimes tedious, sometimes embarrassing, despite the phenomenal playing on Summertime In England. What a band, but some of the lines...

"Did you ever hear about
Did you ever hear about
Did you ever hear about Wordsworth and Coleridge, baby?"

"Can you meet me in the long grass
Wait a minute!
With your red robe...
Danglin' all around your body
Yeats and Lady Gregory corresponded
And James Joyce wrote streams of consciousness books"

Yes, they did. But this is not a good adaption of the stream of consciousness technique in song. But a great band it is, and the track was always a great jam live.

And on When Heart Is Open I'm annoyed by the "Hand me down my old great coat...oh my darlin', hand me down my big boots" repetition. Van has made it clear from very early on that his woman's place is at home to cater to his very whim, but every time it creeps into a song it tends to make me wince. It's not as bad as You're My Woman (from Tupelo Honey) though. Also, "When heart is open you will change just like a flower slowly opening/When heart is open you will meet your lover" is too banal to carry the 15 minutes of admittedly contemplative music.
What this world needs is more silly men.
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

No Miss Buenos Aires, I'm pretty sure liam Neeson gives his wife's eulogy and then follows it with "Bye Bye Baby" his son ends up playing the drums so that he could impress a girl which apparently is more important in the film than the loss of his own mother. [/quote]
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl