Brighton

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Brighton

Post by johnfoyle »

Martin , The Brudder , was at Elvis' show in Brighton tonight and has just 'phoned me with some comments. He doesn't expect to be online tonight so he asked me to relay same.

Lasting just over two hours - 29 songs - from c.8.25 to 10.30 , it was a 'safe show'. Elvis tailored the show to the all seated , predominantly middle-aged audience ( some family groups with younger members) and didn't do anything surprising. He paced himself , never breaking into a sweat. There were some sound problems with the electric guitars , the ending of one song being particularly affected by same. The acoustic songs sounded good , the electric a bit muddy at times. Elvis commented that he looked forward to returning to the U.K. in May when ' everything would sound alright'. He started with Uncomplicated. His voice gave out a bit during Shipbuilding , Elvis sipping water during the piano break to recharge himself. In general the whole show could be seen to be a technical rehearsal for tomorrow's high-profile show in London.

The merchandise on sale ranged from a Delivery Man mug at £6 to T-Shirts at £15 to hoodies ( with the Clarksdale sleeve on it) at £30. A programme was also available.
A poster was in the foyer . The staff didn't feel able to give Martin it ; he being way politer than me didn't contest them about it. He might pop back tomorrow and see if he can get it. An usher told him the show sold out , the last 8 tickets selling this afternoon.

And that was about all ; doubtlessly he'll tell much more when he gets back to Dublin tomorrow evening.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Thanks, Brothers Foyle. Was hoping for a setlist, but that's beyond the realms of a phone call! So much for going to provincial gigs as opposed to the Big Smoke. I reckon he knows how many of his hardcore boardfans will be at the one gig tomorrow (at least 7!), so he's taking the preparation seriously. We expect him to break into a sweat, at least.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
migdd

Post by migdd »

I've caught Elvis shows 17 times over the years and he broke into a sweat on every occasion.

What the hell is going on in Brighton, Martin??!!!!! :lol:
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Maybe he broke out in a slight patina of sweat, but certainly nothing like the sauna look from other shows I've seen.
Here's the setlist

20:33
1. Uncomplicated
2. Blue Chair
3. Beyond Belief
4. Radio Radio
5. Button My Lip
6. Country Darkness
7. BLame It On Cain
8. Either Side Of The Same Town
9. Chelsea
10.Heart Shaped Bruise
11.Suit Of Lights
12.Good Year For The Roses
13.Kinder Murder
14.In The Darkest Hour
15.Watching The Detectives
16.Riot Act
17.Delivery Man
18.Monkey To Man
19.Bedlam
Encore#1
20.Story In Your Voice
21.Next Time Around
22.Nothing Clings Like Ivy
23.Hidden Charms
24.What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding
Encore#2
25.Shipbuilding
26.Pump It Up
27.Scarlet Tide.
22:26

Nothing much to add to what John relayed. The lads were in good form, a very laidback but respectful audience seemed to enjoy it in their reserved sort of way. Appropriately the biggest reaction was to local boy Pete's hoedown drum beat in Hidden Charms. They all clapped along happilly to that. The Delivery Man songs sound really good now, in many ways better than the studio versions. My first Elvis gig in 2 and a half years, it was good to see him looking so well and content. The unfortunate problems with the rhythm guitar, I think, in olden days would have had him throwing hissy fits. Last night he just got on with the show. Tonights show in London should be incredible. Now if only he'd bring it his other hometown, Dublin......

Last edited by martinfoyle on Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

The Torrent for this show is here.
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

Looks great.
Please don't shout at me, but how do you download a torrent?
I did do this before at some point, but cannot recall the procedure involved even though I have previously registered at that website.

Thanks
Four eyes - one vision
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

I can download the torrent but cannot play it :?
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Oh - if I should ever want to download and play it i just need a new version of Winamp :)
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

This thread on the Warren Zevon trading page may be of help. If you haven't used your easytree membership in a while you may have lost it. They allow only a limited amount of users and drop you if you dont use it to allow others to join.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I registered, but they don't seem to have sent an email, so I guess I can't use it. Confusing.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/concert/0 ... ighton.php

Review of concert from 2005-02-09: Brighton, The Dome - with the Imposters

Paul Adsett

‘1 2 3 4… blood and chocolate…’ elvis costello fires up in brighton last night
‘…you think it's over now, but we've only just begun…’. from the opening ‘uncomplicated’ to the still relevant, triptych of ‘what’s so funny ‘bout peace, love and understanding / shipbuilding / pump it up’ given an extra frisson by ending with a poignant ‘scarlet tide’, costello and his imposters opened their british gigs here in ‘hometown boy’ drummer pete thomas’s brighton.

a two hour tempered onslaught of controlled vitriol and uncontrolled passion. despite a few hiccups – one guitar deciding to sound decidedly dodgy whenever used, leading elvis to give us a spot of unamplified crooning on ‘nothing clings like ivy’ and encouraging a keyboard break – the prowling, almost arrogant presence of mr costello provided us with a huge a swathe of his very impressive back catalogue and highlights from ‘the delivery man’ , songs that are top notch - ‘from monkey to man’ shows he’s not lost the (r)evolutionary plot.

‘watching the detectives’ elided gloriously into ‘riot act’. how many performers have you seen sing into an over-cranked guitar pickup and make sounds of delta doom? he’s a bespectacled behemoth, with a be-bearded steve nieve, whose hands wafted over a theremin, and a bespoke rhythm section of pete thomas and (far from imposter, but not quite emmylou) davey faragher.

quite a roll on from that first time i saw him play in brighton in ‘77 on the stiff records tour, and through many guises and combos since… (that magic solo glastonbury set with added attractions encore set, the weird live aid pop-in, the wheel of fortune albert hall show, confederates without tears, a roundhouse attractions reunion, ‘the juliet letters’, stand out amongst dozens of his gigs i’ve seen)… it’s still a thrill to be in the presence of his wondrous, beautiful music.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.theargus.co.uk/the_argus/arc ... 680ZM.html

First published on Friday 11 February 2005:

Elvis Costello, Dome Concert Hall, Brighton

by Mike Donovan
The Argus , Brighton

Would the angry young man of the New Wave have smiled when his guitar lead loosened to create enough static to scar a couple of numbers in this opening gig of his latest UK tour?

And you wonder whether the skinny, geeky gunslinger with thick-rimmed specs would have led a Brighton crowd in a chorus of I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside and implored it to give "home town boy", his drummer Pete Thomas, a rousing welcome home.

But if you think Elvis Costello has gone soft and watered down the intensity of his music, you can think again.

His performance of The Delivery Man, the title track of his new record, oozed the menace of the subject (a murderer called Abel) and passion while showing why Declan McManus' song-writing would put him in any music Hall of Fame.

Robbie Williams won the best song for the past 25 years at the Brits on the same night as this gig for Angels. But those who voted should have been at a packed Dome to discover all the Costello numbers performed from 1980, which were lessons in the art of songwriting.

His three-piece backing band, The Imposters, with Steve Nieve's keyboard wizardry, Thomas' no-nonsense pounding on his kit and the uncomplicated bass, played by newcomer Davey Faragher, complemented Costello's deep, powerful and sensitive vocals.

The sound problems early on were soon sorted as EC warmed up and he neatly bookended his 28-year recording career, going from Abel to "his brother" as he sung Blame It On Cain from his first album, My Aim Is True.

There was something for most people in the balanced set, which encompassed rock (Pump It Up), pop (Radio Radio, Watching The Detectives), country (A Good Year For The Roses) and protest (Shipbuilding) and the tracks off The Delivery Man underlined his jaw-dropping consistency.

EC's frame has filled out but, with his tight-fitting dark suit and tinted shades, he remains instantly recognisable. He seems jollier, yet the angry young man is still inside his 50-year-old body.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Better late than never I suppose...

...this wasn't the best show and seemed like a warm up really. The audience was pretty subdued but it wasn't a place where you could dance and also the audience didn't seem to be up to it anyway.

It was great for me on a personal level. First of all I had a front row seat. Elvis acknowledged me after Radio Radio but the real scary one was during Bedlam when he came to the front of the stage playing his guitar right in front of me and looked directly into my eyes for about 10 seconds as I was clapping (in time for a change!). Whilst this doesn't sound like much it felt like ages! I'd have hated to have him stare at you in a nasty way!

During Pump It Up Elvis did a little story about Pete which was along the lines of saying about Pete being a local boy and his parents had a child who grew, and he grew and he grew!

There were a couple of sound problems - one was right at the end of In The Darkest Place sadly and Elvis wasn't too happy. The technician went to change the lead and Elvis just kept saying "Leave it". The other one was Hidden Charms. I wonder if anyone here can answer this. During Hidden Charms it seemed that because of the sound problems Elvis sang through his guitar pick up. He looked at Davy who laughed back and then Elvis just shrugged his shoulders and started laughing. It made me wonder if this was an impromptu moment and Elvis has carried on singing through the pick ups during the tour or whether he was doing this before the UK anyway. Can anyone help?

After the show, I asked for a set list and didn't get one. When I went to the stage door, there were about 20 people waiting and one of the road crew came out of the back door, over to me and said "You're in luck, I've found this and this is the last one" and gave me a copy of the set list! I couldn't believe it - how nice was that?!

A bit later on Paddy came up to me, shook my hand and then asked me how I was. As if things couldn't get better Elvis and the boys came out and were happy to sign anything put their way although as it turned out I had what seemed to be the only pen(!). And then after that a lady came up to me and said she recognised me from the Festival Hall show and asked me to take her picture with EC. If you are her, PM me.

Not a bad night!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
John

Post by John »

Verbal - he sang for a short while through his guitar pickup at Glasgow. All of the threads from then seem to have been lost. I think it was during The Delivery Man but can't be certain on the track.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

... I think it was Needle Time @ Glasgow, the chorus sounded especially vicious sung that way ...
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

He's done the singing into the guitar the whole tour i guess. Did it in Copenhagen and Hamburg
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

VonOfterdingen wrote:He's done the singing into the guitar the whole tour i guess. Did it in Copenhagen and Hamburg
All that spontaneity takes a lot of rehearsal :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
JohnE

Post by JohnE »

Did it on Hidden Charms in Syd in Nov, too.
Tryin' to look Italian through the musical Valium.
The Elvis Costello Home Page: http://www.elviscostello.info