Photography at the show tonight...

Pretty self-explanatory
Gilbert

Photography at the show tonight...

Post by Gilbert »

At tonight's Edinburgh show, I've got a cracking seat in the third row of the stalls. I could take along my 4 mega pixel camera but would appreciate guidance on this.

I don't want to use the flash as that would irritate the band and audience, but are the pictures likely to be worthwhile without it?
Naturally, I will post any pictures on this board but if anyone has experience of doing this please let me know.

Thanks.
Four eyes - one vision
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Flash-less pics can turn out okay if the lighting onstage is reasonably strong - just manually set a fast shutter speed or open up the aperture if they're a little dim. But I'd still use the flash every now and then. :D
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Watch out though - the security guards were onto people at Brighton trying to take pictures on their mobile phone cameras :roll:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Hullo.

I am in an anonymous internet cafe (took me ages to find one, how many hair salons can one city have?) in the Toll Cross area of Edinburgh, 5 mins away from Usher Hall...there are some really great posters for the concert tonight, I wish I'd brought a camera!
JohnE

Post by JohnE »

Some more tips:

1. Get really familiar with your camera's functions and how to set them; you will probably have to set them in the dark.

2. Set up your camera before leaving home or in a restaurant or whatever before you go anywhere near the concert hall. If you think everything is set right - check it again and make sure. There is nothing worse that taking lots of photos only to find that you have set your camera wrong.

3. Set you camera to manual mode, with flash OFF. But as has been said here already, know how to turn the flash on for that occassional flash shot, which you can sneak in towards the end of the encores, when everyone is standing up and security can't see you or reach you so easily.

4. Rest on something solid if you can. I rested my digital camera on the edge of the stage in Sydney. You could also use the armrests of your chair if approriate.

5. Set spot metering if your camera has it, and when you take the photo put the "spot" on Elvis so that it will be properly exposed for him. This will usually mean that it will be faster shutter speed, and thus less blur.

6. Again if you have manual mode, set you "film speed" as high as possible. You don't actually have a film speed but it is the equivalent of this, and is usually called this in the digital cameras.

7. Turn the display on the back of the camera off, so that it isn't spotted easily by security.

8. Turn on the back display if you can quickly, to see how the photos are turning out.

9. Try talking to security and getting friendly with them if you can. They may not be so heavy with you. I did this in Sydney and on the second night there, the security guy let me take quite a few photos before coming up to me. He also made sure that I got a setlist from the stage. Nice guy.

10. Above all else - don't be silly. If the security guy says don't take photos, don't argue. You want to see and ENJOY THE CONCERT. There will be other opportunities, and other people who can take photos. And don't make a nuisance of yourself.

These are some of the things that have worked for me. Hope they are of some help to others. I have a really small Canon IXUS 40 which I can put in my pocket and you have no idea that it is there.

Regards, JohnE
Tryin' to look Italian through the musical Valium.
The Elvis Costello Home Page: http://www.elviscostello.info
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Yeah, I was so excited at the Ryman last year that I left the screen on in the back of the camera. It was like a giant arrow pointing to me as the security ran to me and chewed me out and threatened to take my first born and especially my camera.

Now I know to leave the screen off.

But Elvis didn't seem to mind when I took pics three feet in front of him at the Hi-Tone last April. At least I don't think he minded. . . :roll:
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

...and don't forget to make sure you have a fully charged battery!
Four eyes - one vision