R.I.P Johnny Carson

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

SoLikeCandy wrote:
Are you trying to imply that O&A are not pioneers of talk radio with those parenthesis?
They're "quotes", not parentheses.
I disagree.
To each his own I guess.

Are there any Johnny Carsons DVDS out?
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Um, WHAR? What are you disagreeing with? She was correcting a stupid mistake you made, she wasn't judging talk show hosts.

"Quotation marks"

(Parenthesis)

There *is* a difference.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Red Shoes, I'll tell you the same thing I told the golfer- to each his own.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

There is no to each his own here, WHAR. Get a dictionary.

The noun "parenthesis" has 2 senses in WordNet.

1. parenthesis -- (either of two punctuation marks (or) used to enclose textual material)
2. digression, aside, excursus, divagation, parenthesis -- (a message that departs from the main subject)

The noun "quotation" has 4 senses in WordNet.

1. citation, acknowledgment, credit, reference, mention, quotation -- (a short note recognizing a source of information or of a quoted passage; "the student's essay failed to list several important citations"; "the acknowledgments are usually printed at the front of a book"; "the article includes mention of similar clinical cases")
2. quotation, quote, citation -- (a passage or expression that is quoted or cited)
3. quotation -- (a statement of the current market price of a security or commodity)
4. quotation -- (the practice of quoting from books or plays etc.; "since he lacks originality he must rely on quotation")
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I disagree with all three of you.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Anyway, I believe we were mourning Johnny Carson here. Let's get back to that.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Some people are obviously confused.

But yes, good morning Johnny Cash.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

WHAR, it's no wonder you practically flunked out of high school and are baking donuts now. It's time you learn the difference between opinion and fact.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

:( What did I do?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Carson was a television legend, arguably the most influential of all chat-show hosts there has ever been. RIP
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Oh, okay. I forgive you, Blue Chair... you're still my favorite Canadian hack.
It's time for work! I'm such a loser, making 12$ an hour. =( I hate it so much.

I miss you Johnny!
"he made it look so natural" - Opie
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I mourn the passing of yet another icon of my childhood. There was a clip on the news this afternoon, the one with the Potato Chip Lady, and that has to be, what, 25 or more years old? Still funny.

Should I be embarrassed to admit that I shed a little tear over it?
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Goody2Shoes wrote:Should I be embarrassed to admit that I shed a little tear over it?
Not at all. I've found it hit me too - and I was only 11 when he went off the air - so I clearly didn't watch much....yet, somehow it still affects me.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

There was a truly sincere segment on O&A about it today.

Back to the question- does anybody know of any Johnny Carsons DVDs worth picking up?
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Leno's epitaph monologue was absolutely beautiful. It started a little slow, a little contrived, a bit Hallmarkish, then gained momentum and it was chilling.

Rickles and Newhart were okay, but the clips were worth the wait. Incredible clips.

However, the highpoint was the Drew Carey Clip...what a wonderful moment in television where you can FEEL the thrill that Drew must have felt when Johnny called him over to take a seat...THE sign that you had arrived, and a media launching pad for the entertainment stratosphere. All Seinfeld got was a wink and an "OK" sign, which was sort of second prize).

Carson says tot he sheepish Carey "You are funny as hell!" to which Carey politely and timidly responds "So are you" which caused Carson to double over with laughter. What a great moment. It gives me the chills and while I appreciate the talent of Drew Carey, I am not a fan of his.

Leno did a great job paying respect and homage to the king of late night entertainment. The creme' de la creme'.

May he rest in peace.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Aaagh.....I meant to tape that! :(

Thanks for the thoughts though, Mr. Average...it's good to know it was well done. He deserved it.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

it was quite well done. the clips were tasty as you forget how funny carson was all the time. i can't hardly stand to look at leno anymore, but he did a respectful job. mcmahon is a bit ponderous, and was especially so on larry king, but is very lucid at 81. doc seemed a little emotionally lost on larry king, or indifferent, i couldn't tell. did anyone see dick cavett make an ass of himself on newsnight with aaron brown?

carson was on from the time i was 5 till i was 35. he was just always there, always funny. lord these clips are such a reminder of simpler times.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Here's the official Carson DVD's...
https://www.johnnycarson.com/carson/sho ... ection.jsp

And there's a torrent of Leno's Tonight Show Tribute I got off here...
http://www.isohunt.com/torrents.php
...do a torrent search for 'Johnny Carson'

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

wehitandrun wrote:I disagree with all three of you.
If you are honestly arguing that these----> "" are parentheses, then you are a complete dumb ass. There is nothing to disagree with these folks about. "" are qutation marks. () are parentheses. While we're clarifying, [] are brackets, & is an ampersand, * is an asterisk, and WHAR is a threadjacking schmuck. If someone who disagreed with you said the sun was shining at noon, you'd probably argue with them, too.

Johnny Carson was a great comedian, an innovative comic genius. He took what Steve Allen and Jack Parr had done (brilliantly) and made something completely new and fresh from it. I think Letterman is wonderful, and I think Conan can be brilliant. But neither of them approach the greatness of Carson. It's like comparing Mondrian to Michelangelo. I like Mondrian a lot. But the Pieta is divine.

The days of Carson followed by Letterman are the best in the history of the talk show. And the time Carson appeared on Letterman, both sitting at their own desks, is one of the best interviews that ever aired. Freakin' Leno.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

noiseradio wrote: these----> "" are parentheses
noiseradio wrote: the sun was shining at noon.

I accept your opinions, but I disagree with them. Is that so wrong?
Well, the second one is obviously a joke- the sun doesn't "shine".
Last edited by wehitandrun on Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

noiseradio wrote:If you are honestly arguing that these----> "" are parentheses, then you are a complete dumb ass.
Oh my, he is arguing that!

(...and I stepped on his heels).
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Bamboo, don't tell me they got you too!

Jeez, you guys are so gullible if you buy into what RedShoes said.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Couldn't you pick some better tits?
Last edited by bambooneedle on Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Blame google!
It's so tough to find boobs with wow plastered across them these days.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

WHAR,

You are so brave. Not even Cope was as openly exploitive of women on his worst day. Honestly, though, I'm surprised at you. I figured you'd have picked a pic with "wow" written on Zach Braff or Elijah Wood's bare chest.

P.S. the word wow there in that last sentence is in quotes.
Last edited by noiseradio on Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare