Chet Baker and EC - Live show relevant to PTC being released Oct. 2016

Pretty self-explanatory
laughingcrow

Chet Baker and EC - Live show relevant to PTC being released Oct. 2016

Post by laughingcrow »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 30-9121456

I assume that info. on this got lost in the crash and it passed me by before because it's the first time I've seen it...any info?

Release date: January 17, 2005
Recorded in June 1968. Tracklist includes: 'Ellen David', 'Just Friends', 'If I Should Lose You', 'My Ideal', 'Love For Sale', 'The Very Thought Of You'. 'You Don't Know What Love Is', 'I'm A Fool To Want You', 'Shifting Down' and 'Send In The Clowns'. Features ten tracks in total.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm guessing the 1968 should actually be 1986 since EC is involved.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

This was released as a video years ago. It's recorded in 1986 (!) and it features EC in three numbers: The very thought of you, You don't know what love is and I'm a fool to want you.

Van Morrison sings on one track (Send in the clowns).

EC's performance is not that spectacular.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Van's involvement was purely by chance. He was coming out the door of his London home and Elvis was walking by . They chat and Elvis mentions he's heading down to Ronnie Scotts to do a TV show with Chet . Van asks if he can come along. And so on.

In James Gavin's bio of Chet - 'a book so dramatic and compelling that it effectively becomes the reader's personal vehicle for transport into Baker's seductive, tormented, seedy world' is a very accurate summary on the 'net - he tells of how Chet didn't even know who van was and thought his singing was terrible. Which , in this case , it was.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

and Van forgot the words to one of the verses.... :lol: ....hence the slurred Van came out with:

"Isn't it..hhuuuuguuhghuuhu"
"Aren't we....huuurugreuuguug" Priceless stuff.

I actually love EC's performances on this. I really much prefer his version of 'The Very Thought of You' to the KV one.
corruptio optimi pessima
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

I read somewhere else Van's performance on this is from the soundcheck, he didn't hang around for the actual performance.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

In the theme of Costello where you least expect him, myself and the lady were walking by a jazz bar in Venice last year and saw Costello's big head on a plasma screen as they showed this dvd... which was nice...

Here it is... http://www.bacarojazz.com Thanks Google!

In fact I was there for the release of TDM... happy days...

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

John Foyle wrote:
In James Gavin's bio of Chet
Have you read this? I got it for Christmas and am looking forward to it.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

johnfoyle wrote:Van's involvement was purely by chance. He was coming out the door of his London home and Elvis was walking by . They chat and Elvis mentions he's heading down to Ronnie Scotts to do a TV show with Chet . Van asks if he can come along. And so on.
I wonder if that's how Van was roped in to sing with the Confederates at the Royal Albert Hall in 1987.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Have you read this? I got it for Christmas and am looking forward to it.
Yes. It's a depressing read - you'll never hear a Baker recording the same way again. It'll also make you check out the pianist Richard Twardzick ; Chet's possible role in his early death - basically he was too out of it to notice his overdosing - haunted him all his life and possibly explains his life-long policy of self-destruction.
krm

Re: Chet Baker and EC - Live at Ronnie Scott's DVD

Post by krm »

I just watched this one again after many many years, and it is very enjoyable. I was surprised though, that the interview with Chet Baker is done by EC.
johnfoyle

Re: Chet Baker and EC - Live at Ronnie Scott's DVD

Post by johnfoyle »

http://jazztimes.com/articles/20047-elv ... in-ireland

Elvis on Chet Baker, “Shipbuilding”

I had got it in my head that we wanted trumpet, and I didn’t know any trumpet player in England that I thought would necessarily be right to do it—except maybe my father. There was definitely a sense that the sound I wanted was a particular plaintiveness that—I was completely obsessed with the ’Round About Midnight record by Miles; more than Kind of Blue or some more famous record. I actually had a conversation with Wynton [Marsalis] about doing it—this was kind of like when he had just made one record. We had one conversation on the phone, and I think he was totally bewildered some guy from England calls him to come play on a record, and he couldn’t do it. It wasn’t until later that I realized that, “Hey, that’s that guy I spoke to on the phone, that Wynton; that famous Wynton guy’s this guy I talked to about doing the record.” So, Wynton’s not going to do it; guess Miles isn’t going to do it—who knew how to ask him? And there wasn’t anybody in England I trust, and I open the Melody Maker and Chet Baker is playing the next day. And he’s only my favorite trumpet player—as far as I can tell, alive—that I can actually get to speak to, or so I thought. Maybe if I go down there and ask if he’ll play, all he can say is, “No.” I go down to the club; everybody’s talking right through everything. He’s playing so beautifully. He isn’t playing standards. He actually has a band that knows his material, which is very rare for him. He was mostly playing “I’ll Remember You” over and over again, but [that night] he was playing these really beautiful modern compositions. And at the interval he just walked off the stand, and he went up to the bar and bought a drink and nobody bothered him—[the audience] just kept on eating and talking and yakking. I went up to him and introduced myself—he had no idea; he had never heard of me. I said, “I’m a musician. Is there any way in the world you would consider coming and playing on a session.” He said, “Well, yeah, I’ll do it for scale.” I said, “How about we give you double scale?”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those shows from 1983 , during the recording of Punch The Clock , are being released in October 2016.

http://www.jazzwisemagazine.com/breakin ... e-s-launch

A previously unreleased Chet Baker recording, Live In London, taped during a six-night stint at the now long-gone Covent Garden jazz venue, The Canteen, in 1983, is set for release on 28 October on the Ubuntu Music label.

Backed by pianist John Horler’s Trio of bassist Jim Richardson and drummer Tony Mann, Baker’s playing is on fine form throughout (even though he was in poor physical health at the time). The venue had previously housed The Blitz, a favourite haunt of London's New Romantics, before subsequently being converted into the 200-seater, up-market jazz venue, running from 1979 for five years. It saw regular performances by many US jazz stars, particularly singers such as Jimmy Witherspoon, Slim Gaillard and Mose Allison.

Recorded by Richardson on a basic Sony TCS tape recorder placed on his bass cabinet, the sound on the album has been restored, with tape hisses, pops and distortion removed to create an incredibly clear and full-sounding finished set of 10 songs that will be released as a double CD. Commenting on the music Richardson said: "I have a huge quantity of Chet Baker recordings but what we have here is the best, in my opinion.” The 10 songs featured on the album are: ‘Have You Met Miss Jones’, ‘Beatrice’, ‘For Minors Only’, ‘The Touch Of Your Lips’, 'Margarine’, ‘With a Song in My Heart’, ‘Leaving’, ‘I Remember You’, ‘My Funny Valentine’ and ‘I’ll Remember April’ all featuring spirited and sympathetic playing from Baker and the band.

The album will be launched at Ronnie Scott’s on 22 and 23 August and will see pianist Horler reunited with Richardson and Mann for the first time since their 1983 gigs with Baker. These performances will also feature trumpeter Quentin Collins, saxophonist (and Jim’s son) Leo Richardson and a special guest appearance by revered Brit-jazz singer Norma Winstone.

– Mike Flynn

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I asked the label for the recording dates & they confirm they were during PTC recording schedule.

The recordings were made on 28th March-2nd April 1983.

Hope you enjoy them. The Chet Baker Estate believes this has captured some of Chet's best playing.

http://www.ubuntumanagementgroup.com/bl ... /announcin

I suppose I should now try & find that Melody Maker ad.....
johnfoyle

Re: Chet Baker and EC - Live show relevant to PTC being released Oct. 2016

Post by johnfoyle »

The ad. may be in this - is there any chance anyone here has it?

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Punch The Clock -

Rhino liner notes ( 2003)

(extract)

If that seemed improbable then what happened next was almost miraculous. I opened the paper to find that Chet Baker was playing a hurriedly announced residency at The Canteen. I went alone to find Chet in a wonderful musical form despite the presence of several drunken bores who would loudly call for more booze in the middle of some of his most delicate playing. You got the feeling that this happened most nights but it seemed particularly appropriate that the main culprit was said to be one of London's leading jazz critics. Between sets I introduced myself to Chet who was wandering about in the club untroubled by patrons. There is no false modesty in saying he had no idea who I was. Why the hell should he? However he accepted my invitation to come and play on the "Shipbuilding" session the next day. I mentioned a fee. He said "Scale". I think I probably doubled it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DiDi posts to f/book

I just started reading through some old Melody Maker magazines in search of Chet Baker's 6 night stand at the Covent Garden Canteen in 1983. The shows appear to have been first announced in MM Jazz News in the 12 February 1983 issue. I haven't seen many listings or advertisements for jazz shows in the magazines overall.

Given that PTC was recorded in January-April 1983 , this kind of contradicts Elvis's comment 'and I open the Melody Maker and Chet Baker is playing the next day' ie. in late March, early April . MM used to be primarily a Jazz magazine , evolving into more of rock/pop publication. The above column was very much a token effort. DiDi says there is very little other Jazz coverage in the issues from '83 that she has gone through.

Elvis's mention of the Melody Maker was in a interview in 2002. It's possible that Elvis combined two memories . He may have noted the news about Chet's shows when he saw the item in February. His Rhino note in 2003 merely refers to a 'paper'. It's possible that a daily newspaper in late March '83 had a listing for Chet's shows. Given that the MM item was by then over a month old , it's possible that the 'hurriedly announced residency' description was merely a bit of hype to push ticket sales that stuck in Elvis's mind.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Disregard most of the above - DiDi adds -

Here is a 2nd mention in the 2 April 1983 issue of MM:

That does seem more in line with Elvis's comments .
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

It seems likely that the April 2 MM is the one that Elvis saw the listing for Chet Baker appearing in London and so on. This was it's cover.

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Ba - this was recorded by someone else's Mr Sony!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Jazz Line Up on BBC radio 3 today had a track from this - it sounds like a very full sound considering the basic set up for the recording - about 40 minutes into this -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07y9nln
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This arrived in the post today . It sounds great.

Order it via this link & the forum gets a fee -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chet-Baker-Lon ... +in+london