The Brown Bunny

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
clairequilty

The Brown Bunny

Post by clairequilty »

This film is getting great word of mouth.
marblefaun

Post by marblefaun »

Has anyone actually seen this yet?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

One of our writers is reviewing it for our September issue. I've heard pretty bad things :lol:
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
marblefaun

Post by marblefaun »

Bad as in naughty or bad as in it sucks?
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

marblefaun wrote:Bad as in naughty or bad as in it sucks?
Well we all know that it sucks.
marblefaun

Post by marblefaun »

Has anybody seen this yet...now??
I'm not really interested in spending the money but I'm curious to hear a critique from someone other than a critic.
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

If this is the one I'm thinking of, I've heard absolutely terrible things about it...at the Cannes festival I believe like three quarters of the audience walked out and it got the lowest rating ever.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
marblefaun

Post by marblefaun »

Yes, that's true. I've heard a lot of bad things about it but Vincent Gallo has never been a Hollywood favorite. I really liked Buffalo 66 and I don't think that got good reviews when it came out either.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

A friend of mine saw it last night and said it was absolutely terrible, the most tedious movie he'd ever seen. And he went in excited about it!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Vincent Gallo is in Glassjaw's video "Cosmopolitan Bloodloss".
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

From what I've heard about this film, the phrases "word of mouth" and "it sucks" are apt descriptions of the plot. Plus Roger Ebert loved it, and we know how he feels about celebrity skin.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Actually, Roger Ebert hated it, calling it the worst film ever to be shown at the Cannes Film Festival.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Word of mouth. It sucks. The puns just don't stop. You guys blow me away.

Is Vincent Gallo's appearance in a Glassjaw video supposed to be an endorsement of his new film? I'm not trying to be thick, WHAR, I just really don't understand if the two are connected somehow.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

The video was released a couple of years ago.

Daryl Palumbo is people who knows people, and he jumped at the opportunity to have Vincent Gallo in their video for "Cosmopolitan Bloodloss". The original version of the music video had Vincent Gallo violently killing the band with a revolver- but this had to be edited out to a simple stand down. Kids these days. :roll:
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

BlueChair wrote:Actually, Roger Ebert hated it, calling it the worst film ever to be shown at the Cannes Film Festival.
Wow -- I hadn't heard that. Oddly enough, the print ads for the film say "Thumbs up! Poetic and elegaic. -- Roger Ebert, Ebert and Roeper". My bad for trusting advertising.

Speaking of Ebert, did any of my fellow Dylan fans see Masked and Anonymous? I keep putting it off.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It's pretty bad, but worth it to see him get in a fight with Jeff Bridges.
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

wardo68 wrote: Wow -- I hadn't heard that. Oddly enough, the print ads for the film say "Thumbs up! Poetic and elegaic. -- Roger Ebert, Ebert and Roeper". My bad for trusting advertising.
I think this was actually a bit of a 'thing' awhile ago...they used his name and said he liked it when he actually didn't.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

wardo68 wrote:
Speaking of Ebert, did any of my fellow Dylan fans see Masked and Anonymous? I keep putting it off.
Because you are a Dylan fan I will recommend it just because we Bobheads are contractually obligated to see this rather perverse psychodrama. It's bad but not the worst film he's ever done by any stretch. That be Hearts of Fire by a country mile. The whole thing with Angela Bassett's character was pretty laughable (there supposed to be roughly the same age) and one of the "bonus" scenes shows a fawing young woman telling Bob/Jack Fate how much he has meant to her and then they have sex. Between that and the Victoria's Secrets ad, I think Bob needs to donate some free time to working for a Battered Housewives shelter to repair his image.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Either that or go back to playing the guitar and put out a quality album.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

For my money, Bob's given us enough albums to be satisfied with. If he has another, that's great but how much can you reasonable expect from one man? Time Out of Mind and Love & Theft are both significant albums that have occured during a stage in his career where most of his peers have long stopped being anywhere near as interesting or relevant. If Bob does have arthritis then there isn't anything he can do about playing guitar although it does create a weird situation for fans who can't see him any other way than holding a guitar. Watching the bonus dvd footage of the Rolling Thunder set where he stomps on stage sans guitar is almost discombopulating because it's nothing something you're used to seeing him do.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Very true. I still have a lot of catching up to do, too. So I'm not sure why I'm so anxious.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Thanks for the input, Vez and Blue. Since I once actually paid $3 (and 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back) to rent Hearts Of Fire, I'll not go out of my way for this one. Though the version of Cold Irons Bound (from the movie) is pretty cool.

I was very happy with both Time Out Of Mind and Love And Theft, though the latter will always remind me of the aftermath of 9/11. We waited four years between those albums, so hopefully something new next year?