100 Albums You Should Remove from Your Collection....

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
PlaythingOrPet

100 Albums You Should Remove from Your Collection....

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

http://www.jaguaro.org/feature/archives/000007.html

A few months old, but anyway...

Have fun.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Ouch. I have 10 of them.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This guy is a jerk.

I own 19 of these and have no intention of getting rid of any of them.

There are some amazing albums on here... Arthur by The Kinks, Being There by Wilco, Mule Variations by Tom Waits...
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

i have 46 of those albums and i have to say that i really like most of them.

shitty list!
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
Lou Reed - Transformer
David Bowie - Hunky Dory
Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention - We're Only In It For The Money
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band
Husker Du - Zen Arcade

this guy is kidding...
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I find it hilarious when people take this sort of thing so seriously. Have you read the comments underneath? People get so up in arms!
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

You loved this one didn't you Ms BA? I'm sure your fingers were twitching at all the typo's....:)
So you love free speach well so do I you fuckin ignorant asshole. This list is a fuckin joke, and you have no sence what so ever. Your attack on the Grateful Dead is shamfully, The Dead are one of the best bands ever. You are a fuckin idiot. The dead were oustanding musicians, a well know fact. Phil Lesh is one of the best bassist in rock n roll. Jerry Garcia is a very well guitarist who is in a select group. His style is perfect. Mickey Hart and Bill Kurtman are outstanding drummers.
You calling the beatles pretencious lymies?? you fuckin dickhead. You dont know a fuckin thing. Sgt Peppers is an outstanding inovative album. Its in every top 100 albums list done by smart musicic critics, not a sad fuckin loser. Man you are the typical asshole. Some pretencious fuck who thinks he knows everything because he is away from popular believe. You are fuckin trash man!
So you have your freedom here and post your shitty opinions, ill use my rights to tell you how stupid and ridicules and uncultured they are.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Oh taz, you know me so well!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

16. but i wish i had about 50 of them.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I had 13 of them . . . but I'll probably end up with more in the future.
A rope leash

The guy who hated everything...

Post by A rope leash »

Taz, I love it when bad spellers go nuts with the personal insults!

After this list, what's left in the collection? Mitch Miller?

Just by coincidence, I recently reduced my CD collection by about one-third. I sold forty CDs for twenty bucks to some city folks who thought they were pretty cool. They were all one-hit wonders, but I think I accidently let my Neil Young go.

Here's what they didn't get:

My Zappa
My Foo Fighters
My Graham Parker
My REM
My STP
MY Pearl Jam
My Frank Black
My Sublime
My Cake
My Primus

...and, they are never ever gonna get none of my Elvis, baby, y'uns can count on that!
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I have 29 of 'em. I'll agree though, that not all albums 'age' well.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

The funny thing is, if the article had been entitled "100 Albums that are OK to own, but that you should never, ever play again", then I would have agreed with him on nearly all of the albums (or at least on the ones that I have actually heard).

As p2k said, they've either lost their relevance or are just unlistenable. Or both.
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

Gee, I only have 7 of these, and that is if you count the Smiths as Morrissey.

If you add up stuff my brothers had (or stole from me) in vinyl when I was a kid, the number goes up significantly.

But wo cares about such lists except as a laugh?
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

38/100 in my collection. The most absurd of he list, in my opinion, is Brubeck's Time Out.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Branst

Post by Branst »

I own 28 of the 100 albums in that list and only one I agree is no good. I think destroying a perfectly good CD is a bad idea, sell the ones you don't want, there is always someone else who will buy it.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I could understand and applaud the inclusion of these albums from my current collection:

1. Yes - Tormato
2. Yes - Going for the One

I have others but these were the two most noteworthy of a full purge. For the most part, I perform the purge every few months by giving stuff to those who appreciate the music that I reject. Thus, I think my collection is strong, although one mans meat is another mans puppets.

Clearly, the list is designed to generate reaction.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

I have to agree with him about Oasis' lyrics - they are pretty shallow and meaningless. However the sheer joyous noise of the 1st 2 albums redeems all of that in spades - but it's been diminishing returns since those heady, youthful days!
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

RTHTW- I concur on the Oasis evaluation. I still like those first two albums though, just for the great melodies and the noise of 'em. Lyrics are definitely secondary in this case.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Mr. Average,

I have 38 also. Weird. And there are only a couple that I agree with (like Bitches Brew), but I'll keep them anyway.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I have 18, and about 5 are ones I play monthly or more. The funny thing is, this list indulges in the same kind of hackneyed opinions it wants to make fun of-- it has become formulaic to say you're sick of Morrissey's whining, that U2 is full of shit, and, for that matter, that Elvis Costello hasn't put out a good record since the early '80s, a sentiment I was shocked not to find reflected here.

Dude, whatever. It's a funny concept, and fun to read anyway!

What would really have required balls would've been a list of once-trendy-and-ubiquitous records that have held up better than you'd ever have imagined. Here's one to start with, ready? FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE. Okay, laugh if you want, but I heard most of this record the other day and I was kind of amazed at how good it was, since it had become one of the most fashionable-to-bash albums of all time.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Popped In, Souled Out by Wet Wet Wet

WWW get a lot of stick, cos Marti was a kind of proto-boy band member...but the songs are ace, and he's got a great voice. Sadly not any more though.