Elvis and The Specials

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis and The Specials

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.q4music.com/nav?page=q4music ... rce=116524

Q magazine have another one of their special issues out , this time all about the 2 Tone Ska movement in 1979/1980.

Elvis produced The Specials first album , and is quoted in a few places. As you can read some of his comments echo his recent words about the U.K. cultural scene .

'I saw The Specials’ early shows, in the days when they’d have bonfires on the beach after gigs with their traveling gang of mates. I wanted to produce them the way they sounded best before someone professionally fucked them up. We used a basic 24-track studio to get the right sound but you could only stay in it for a limited time because it shared an airvent with a laundromat and the smell kept coming in.

All the crew and the band’s mates were in and out the studio, so we shoved them all into the cubicle one day, turned out the lights and recorded Nightclub. One day, Neville let off this replica gun in the control room, as a gag, which no one realised would deafen you. We had to go home after that. They were a proper band, know what I mean?

The Specials sung about things that sounded obvious but which were direct. Terry sounded like he was singing to someone as opposed to on a cloud, and sometimes you have to state the obvious about racism and stuff because of who’s listening. If you want a sophisticated, jaded view of life go to The Groucho Club in London, but if you want to do it to dance music, then be direct. Stevie Wonder knew this when he wrote songs like Living In The City. '
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

A fresh listen to the first Special record does reveal EC's influence, although I did not hear it when it first came out. But with the restrospective analysis afforded by 20+ years post release, and a deeper appreciation for Elvis, you can definitely hear his influence.

I played the record for my Daughter the other day (12 years) and she loves it. Between the soundtrack for Kill Bill Volume 2, Los Lobos Compliation, Massive Attack Blue Lines, and the first Specials, she has a pretty solid playlist that she is experiencing right now.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

EC can also be heard providing backing vocals on Special AKA's "Free Nelson Mandela" - in fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he may have produced that as well?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Great news...I love a bit o' ska, and have really enjoyed those Q specials so far!
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

EC even sang lead vocals on Free Nelson Mandela on The Tube (UK music prog) when Stan Campbell failed to turn up. The mp3 is on my XDrive.. Does anybody have the video ? I would love to see it again. If I remember correctly, EC was wearing a particulartly ugly sweater.