Recently viewed films

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Here ya go Crow (and anyone else who's interested)

Ian Brown stirring his tea
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

8)

I want to see more cameos in HP4....EC as some Durmstrang wizard or something!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Haven't we had that discussion before?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Im not sure...I gave everyone here a HP character once, but I dont remember if we did or not....feel free to root around in the search bit PoP! :D
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

on the advice of some of youse guys, I did a trial of Netflix and I think I'm in love. Anything without a deadline. Anyhoo, amongst others, watched the Triplets of Belleville (2X-slept thru the first, enjoyed second--I was routing for the dog) and Step Into Liquid, which furthered my ridiculous surfer dreams. Beautiful movie, if you even just like to sit on the beach. like me. until you go home soggy and with the surf echoing in your head.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Dodgeball. very freaking funny. I like Ben Stiller best when he's being an asshole.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

LC, i am still on a PoA high. i keep surfing live journal looking for more and better harry potter icons.

and, SCOTLAND!!!!!!!!!! (outdoor shots at hogwarts - scotland.)

i had a friend last week ask me, if i had 24 hrs to live (we were discussing what i should do w/ my life, thus this question wasn't outta the blue) what would i regret not doing.

my answer - getting back to scotland.

not that i'm getting there anytime soon. broke.

and the next one, Goblet of Fire, is filming now. yay!
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

:D Is the same bloke directing HP4? I would have liked to see Rik Mayall as Peeves for once...why has that never been an extra on the dvds if they filmed it?????
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

HP4 - naw, new director:

Mike Newell

also directed Mona Lisa Smile, Donnie Brasco, Four Weddings & a Funeral....
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

also directed Mona Lisa Smile, Donnie Brasco, Four Weddings & a Funeral....
:x great! I say let Tim Burton direct one, let's keep it dark!!!! Im quite looking forward to his Willy Wonka, as the original film is a big fave of mine (then again I said that about The Ladykillers and it looks like they've massacred that!)
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

The Ladykillers I'm not looking forward to now 'cos of all the poor reviews.

Crow - did you notice they cut Paul Whitehouse's Sir Cadogen as well? I love Sir Cadogen! Better not be a comedian if you want to remain off the cutting room floor, unless you are the wonderful Dawn French, that is.

Before I forget, here's the 6th book's title (if you don't want to know, read no further):

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

And as for a director nomination, I'd LOVE to see Terry Gilliam do one, although I hope Cuaron comes back for OotP. Good call on Burton, Crow, but maybe a he's little too bizarre for general taste?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Drove to B'ham to see Fahrenheit 9/11 last weekend and I will be catching Lars Von Triers' Dogville in about ninety minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Cool title for book 6....I think we should start a Harry Potter thread!

Its quite cool that there is a voice answering back for the left in America in Moore...but I always get the feeling that he's a self-righteous sensationalist....and his films, though funny and genuinely felt, seem contrived.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

I was actually just writing someone about this. Michael Moore's films are broadsides in pretty much every sense of the word. There is some good to that style of filmmaking and there is some bad. He's not Errol Morris' league as a filmmaker but he is a savvy enough self-promoter and Jackass-style stunt artist to mask his cinematic shortcomings. Parts of the film were very straightforward but yes, you can definitely tell when buttons are being pushed and when you might be getting a slanted impression of what you were just shown.

What it reminded me of more than anything was this cool little cult documentary called Spin. Spin was the result of one guy plowing through untold hours of commercial-free satellite tv footage for telling glimpses of major (and minor) public figures and how they behave when the cameras are rolling but they don't think anyone is watching. Pat Robertson emerges as the villain of the piece. During a commercial break, he remarks that the last caller on the show "was a homo." There is also some pretty disturbing footage of Robertson going off in front of an aide during the 1992 Republican Convention. Robertson was really upset about the possibility of some damning protest footage getting shown and was telling the aide that if Bush Sr. didn't work harder to keep it off the air then he, Robertson, would instruct his journalists to get in the face of every higher up in the Republican party and start asking them some very inflammatory questions. Larry King also comes off very badly as the most insincere schmoozer this side of Sammy Maudlin. While that may not be revelatory, it is definitely amusing to watch him butter up to George Bush about pain killers then turn right around and kiss Clinton and Gore's ass up one side and down the other.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

:D That sounds ace...did you see or hear about this video footage of Bush Jr doing the rounds on the net. It's of Bush on the Letterman show; during an ad-break, a female producer walks in front of Lettermans desk, leans across and starts instructing him as to the show. Bush, as plain as day, takes off his glasses, reaches for the back of the womans top, and starts to clean his glasses on it...while she is oblivious! Outrageous!
I haven't seen the video, just caps of it...but it sounds quite similar to Spun El V!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Saw two movies today.
Spiderman 2 was lame . Terrible dialogue , boring story. Looked great but just not enough jumping around the place.

Nathalie-
see
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348853/

only worked 'cos of its French context. Lovely women , everyone smoking all the time....and Leonard Cohen singing while the prostitute goes ice skating.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Like most everyone else, I thought "Spiderman 2" was terrific. Together, it and the first one are by far my favorite comic book superhero adaptations, though that's not saying all that much. Still, thought the acting, dialogue and pretty much everything else was top notch. It's the best kind of Hollywood corn (said corn being no small influence on Stan Lee, Steve Ditko and co., so the whole thing comes full circle).
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

bobster, have you seen X-Men? I thought the first one was better than either of the Spidey movies. That could be just because Hugh Jackman is a tastier morsel than Toby Maguire, but any movie with Ian McKellen in it...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Finally got around to seeing Super Size Me the other night with Red. Entertaining and disgusting at the same time. Highly recommended.

Saw Fahrenheit 9/11 on opening night. Horrifying, but prolific and effective nonetheless. I also don't think it was nearly as biased as Bowling For Columbine, but that's just me. I suppose everything is biased. I also agree with Mr. Average that he is not a documentarian, but more of a film journalist though my politics are largely aligned with those of Mr. Moore.

Red and I just ordered our 10-film passes for the Toronto International Film Festival, which is in September and tends to host lots of great films, directors, and stars.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Finally saw Monster the other night...exceptional movie, still couldn't get over that it was Charlize Theron. (what I wouldn't give to see her and Christina Ricci kissing without that makeup... :) )

Other recent movies:

Spartan - Liked it a lot, different from other David Mamet movies that I love, but still better than most spy/cia/political intrigue movies.

The Cooler - I really liked this movie also, Macy and Baldwin give really good performances...and Maria Bello wasn't bad either.

Elephant - Slow movie but extremely moving. Not for everybody but if you can appreciate that slow doesn't equal boring it's well worth it.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
bobster

Post by bobster »

miss buenos aires wrote:bobster, have you seen X-Men? I thought the first one was better than either of the Spidey movies. That could be just because Hugh Jackman is a tastier morsel than Toby Maguire, but any movie with Ian McKellen in it...
Thought the first one good but a bit rushed and too short, but the second left me totally cold. Much prefer both Spidermans (Spidermen?). As to your taste in men, I'll have to leave that one alone.

Re: Fahrenheit vs. Bowling -- Actually prefer "Bowling" which might have more cheap shots in it, but is also more original and provocative. And I agree that the best way to look at Michael Moore's films is that he makes the cinematic equvilent of op-ed pieces, and there's nothing wrong with that.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

7 films I watched on recent flights -

House Of Sand And Fog - The one with Ben Kingsley as a former Iranian Army Officer who buys a house that the city has foreclosed on due to non-payment of taxes. Jennifer Connelly plays the woman who is trying to get her house back from Kingsley and she does a great job of pulling off manic depression without overdoing it (the trick is to act more depressed than manic). Well written and well acted. I like films where the characters (with the exception of Kingsley's son) are so flawed that you don't really find yourself rooting for anyone, sort of like real life. Ultimately it was about as dark and depressing a film as I've seen over the last couple of years (although the one with Sissy Spacek in Maine (The Bedroom?) comes close).

Starsky And Hutch - Better than the TV show. Vince Vaughn is pretty good as the villain and you gotta like Juliet Lewis as the moll. Snoop Dogg cracks me up. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson just aren't in enough movies. Which one would you rather punch? I was actually amused in a couple of spots, in spite of myself.

The Cooler - I was looking forward to this. William Macy plays the same sort of schlub as he did in Fargo and it gets old fast. Maria Bello is very sexy and I couldn't believe they didn't edit this film for the plane (British Airways). Alec Baldwin was non-deserving of the Oscar nomination - one dimensional performance. I think this was supposed to be a comedy, but nothing was very funny. I always have high expectations for films set in Las Vegas. Not for one second did I buy Paul Sorvino as a junkie (though he was credible as a lounge singer). I thought that Ben Davidson played the cop at the end, but I watched the credits and it wasn't him.

Something's Gotta Give - ....and it was my patience. I wanted each and every character to die a slow and painful death. Dialogue worse than Neil Simon. When the hell will someone tell Diane Keaton that she can't act and to go away? Keanu Reeves - as Dude I'm A Doctor. I was already predisposed to kick Jack Nicholson in the face (LA FAKERS - HA!)....and I think it's about time that Jon Favreau went away permanently. Dreadful awful movie, I can't believe I watched the whole thing - except for a short bathroom break during the final scene in Paris, which unfortunately for me was still going on when I got back to my seat.

Man On Fire - Denzel is a down and out alcoholic ex-Special Forces assassin who gets a job as a body guard in Mexico City (set up by his old army buddy Christopher Walken). There's a rash of kidnappings going on and Denzel finds himself assigned to a cute 10 year old girl. At first, despite her charm, he keeps his distance and keeps on drinking. He's clearly tormented by his past - alone in his room with only a bottle of Jack Daniels, a bible and a 9mm. The girl's mother comes on to him, even though she's married to hunky Marc Anthony...he resists. She also wants Denzel to be friendlier with the little girl to which Denzel replies, "Are you paying me to be her friend or to protect her?" Alas, Denzel can't resist and succumbs to the little girl's charms. Soon he's coaching her to victory as the little freestyle swimming champ of her school.....and then it happens; she gets kidnapped, despite Denzel's best efforts - he guns down several of the Nappers as he takes several bullets to his own torso. He's still in the hospital as the ransom/give back of the kid exchange goes horribly wrong. (botched by the police and Marc Anthony's lawyer, played by Mickey Rourke). The ransom money is stolen and the kidnappers have killed the little girl. Bent on revenge, Denzel swears to kill everyone who has profited from the kidnapping. Somehow Denzel gets a hold of a lot of guns and grenades and grenade launchers and explosives. He soon finds out that corruption runs deep in Mexico and all are not who they seem to be, as he torture/kills impoverished barrio dwellers and well connected police officers alike. (in one scene he puts a timed bomb in the rectum of cop)....finally leading him to the eventual Nappers - and possibly the girl who may still be alive. It was okay actually. (aside - the only song Denzel likes is Blue Bayou, the Linda Ronstadt version).

Envy - Ohhhhh, why did I watch this? This has to be the worst thing I've seen since, Something's Gotta Give. The ubiquitous Ben Stiller and the equally ubiquitous Jack Black star as neighbors in this supposedly dark comedy. (also co-starring Christopher Walken). Not one funny moment. Zero. Jack Black could possibly be the most annoying actor of our generation. It hurts me to even think about this movie any longer. Plot summary - guy invents an aerosol can that makes dog crap disappears, best friend is jealous of his success, hilarity does not ensue.

Secret Window - Here's one that I knew was going to be bad, but held out hope because the cast was pretty decent (Johnny Depp, Maria Bello, John Turturo, Tim Hutton and Charles Dutton). I knew it was a lost cause about 15 minutes in. Just a bad story, which shouldn't be surprising because it's a Stephen King thing. Maria Bello was nowhere near as sexy as she was in The Cooler (probably because her clothes stayed on), Turturo was made to do a southern accent, which he couldn't/didn't pull off. Not scary and a really really poor ending.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

And again, Boy is with me on a supposedly universally beloved thingy (first Desperado, now Jack Black) that makes me want to run straight into walls in hopes of knocking myself unconscious. Or, you know, say, "Ew! I hate Jack Black/Desperado!" But I hate Jack Black a whole lot more than I hate Desperado.

bobster: I'm not into Ian McKellen, I just think he's a really neat guy and a great actor. So much so that I like to see him in blockbusters, because I think, "Ian McKellen is making millions off this movie, and I don't think it could happen to a nicer guy." (Unless it's a role that I think my grandpa should have gotten, but that doesn't happen very often.)
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Hoping to see The Twilight Samurai , http://www.ifi.ie/cinema/dispfilm.asp?filmID=4297 tomorrow, anyone seen it yet?

Thank god for cinemas like the IFI. I pity anyone who only has access to mainstream releases these days. The only truly great mainstream release I've seen in recent times is Spiderman 2. Raimi obviously kept the suits happy with #1, now he has made his kind of film and it works so well. Great pacing, incredible visuals, and impeccable performances from everyone. More JK Simmons, the best thing about the first one, a great cameo by Reed Diamond chewing the scenery doing Wilde, and on it goes. After the disappointment of films like Shrek 2, it renews your faith to see work like Spiderman 2.