Accidents Will Happen
Rocking Horse Road
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
Good Year For The Roses
The Delivery Man
Country Darkness
Veronica
Everyday I Write The Book
(unknown) - ??All the words of tenderness???
God's Comic
Shipbuilding
Oliver's Army
The Scarlet Tide
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?

Encore 1
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror/You Really Got A Hold On Me
I Want You
Needle Time

Encore 2
Pump It Up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'(unknown) - ??All the words of tenderness??? '

- perhaps a reference to 'And for some honest tenderness' in 'When It Sings' from North
frank

Post by frank »

Great show; Elvis is great shape. The song before 'God's Comic' was 'Nothing clings like Evy'.

Frank.
frank

Post by frank »

There were a few (very possitive) reviews in the national press. This is the review from 'De Morgen', monday 2004/07/12.

Met Elvis Costello haalde Cactus een van de grootste songwriters van deze tijd onder zeil: het hedendaagse equivalent van een Cole Porter, zeg maar. Het zal dan ook niet verbazen dat het slot van de tweede festivaldag nog lang in ons geheugen gegrift zal blijven. Costello hoefde daarvoor niet eens terug te vallen op vliegende varkens of naaktdanseressen. Neen, zijn stem en akoestische gitaar, het gezelschap van pianist Steve Nieve en negentien liedjes bleken te volstaan. Want de grootste nog levende Elvis mag er dan uitzien als een ambtenaar van de belastingdienst, zijn werk is van zulk een hoog niveau dat het eigenlijk geen extra versiering nodig heeft om overeind te blijven. Anderhalf uur lang grasduinde Costello in zijn rijke catalogus en geen enkel nummer klonk minder dan briljant. Hoewel het zaterdag in Brugge droog was gebleven, regende het vanaf '45' zoveel klassiekers dat geen enkele paraplu er nog weerwerk tegen bood. Een greep? 'Accidents Will Happen', 'Red Shoes', 'Veronica', een subliem 'Every Day I Write the Book', een geestig 'God's Comic', een pakkend 'Shipbuilding', een stuiterend 'Oliver's Army', een beklemmend 'I Want You'. Het ene moment spuwde de zanger een mondvol vitriool over de hoofden van de toeschouwers, het andere twijfelde hij tussen humor en mededogen. Nieve bracht intussen achter zijn klavier de nodige punten, komma's en uitroeptekens aan, zonder uitdrukkelijk de aandacht op te eisen. Dit najaar brengt Costello twee nieuwe cd's uit. De ene zal het klassieke werk Il Songo bevatten. De andere, The Delivery Man, wordt een plaat met The Imposters, waar we alvast meesterlijke nummers als 'Country Darkness' en 'Ivy' uit te horen kregen. Wel opvallend dat Elvis Costello zijn jongste cd North, een liefdesbrief aan zijn huidige levensgezellin Diana Krall, ongemoeid liet. Deze keer koos hij voor een ruig en bluesy slotsalvo, met 'Needletime' en een totaal gederailleerd 'Pump It Up'. Samengevat: 'El' verkeerde zaterdag in topvorm en liet ons negentig minuten lang de hemel zien.

I try a translation. Don’t be too hard on my English.

With Elvis Costello, the Cactus festival received one of the greatest songwriters of the moment: the contemporary equivalent of Cole Porter. So don’t be amazed that the last show of the second day will stay in our memory for a long time. Costello didn’t need no flying pigs or nude female dancers. No, his voice and his acoustic guitar, the company of Steve Nieve en 19 songs were enough. The biggest Elvis alive may look like a civil servant, his work has such a high level that it didn’t need extra ornaments.

During a hour and a half, Costello selected songs from his rich catalogue, and no song sounded less than brilliant. Even though the weather staid dry in Brugge it rained classics as soon as he started ‘45’. Examples? ‘Accidents will happen’, ‘Red shoes’, ‘Veronica’, a sublime ‘Every day I write the book’, a funny ‘God’s comic’, a breathtaking ‘Shipbuiling’, a smooth ‘Oliver’s army’ en a emotional ‘I want you’. One moment, he spitted vitriol over the heads of the spectators, the other moment he doubted between humor and compassion. Meanwhile Nieve provided the necessary dots, comma’s and exclamation signs, without asking for too much attention.

In the autumn Costello will release two new cd’s. The first one ‘Il Sogno’, a classical album. The second one ‘The Delivery Man’, will be a record with The Imposters, from which we heard great songs such as ‘Country Darkness and ‘Ivy’. It was remarkable that Costello didn’t play any songs from his latest album ‘North’, his love letter to his current wife Diana Krall. This time, he chose form a wild and bluesy end of the set, with ‘Needle time’ and an unusual version of ‘Pump it up’.

‘El’ was in great shape Saturday and showed us 90 minutes of heaven.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Nice translation, frank. Thank you. :)