What are you listening to?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Go-Betweens - Bright Yellow, Bright Orange
Paddy MacAlloon - MegaHertz
Squeeze - East Side Story
Jellyfish - Bellybutton

Otis - Which Lloyd Cole site shall we meet on?
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Thin Lizzy - especially 'Chinatown' and 'Renegade', at the moment.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

The post-McCartney concert indulgence of 'Rubber Soul', 'A Hard Day's Night' and 'Revolver'. May put the White Album on tomorrow.

Beat-tastic!
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

John Hiatt - Beneat This Gruff Exterior
Blur - Think Tank
The Clash - The Clash
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

The Boss - Born To Run

Jesus, enforced Sussudio at work has to be illegal. Time for a pickett! Enforced anything would drive me mad, that's what headphones are for.

Chinatown! I love it.

Doof: you tell me, but if they seriously think that pile of shite that Lloyd put out as his second solo is anywhere near the brilliance of the first, I'm rolling up my sleeves and heading over to sort them out. OK, I exaggerate, but no. 1 is 70-80% superb, whereas DGWOMB is about 10% good. It's turgid, bland, forgettable, unexciting. I don't even need to intellectualise it. I measure the brilliance of Lloyd by how much his songs get into my head, and how much I want to play them again, and I've had Loveless, No Blue Skies, Don't Look Down, (all of which I think you listed), What Do You Know About Love? and of course the wonderful Waterline in my head all week, whereas I can hardly remember a thing from no. 2. And what's really weird is that Fred Maher (who I've only just realised drummed on Scritti's Cupid & Psyche '85, which I picked up recently, though in many ways it's my least favourite Scritti era) drums his socks off on no. 1, yet sounds like a bland, faceless session musician on no. 2, despite also co-producing. The liner with Lloyd looking moody in various US locations sums it up. I think he thought he was so cool hanging out in the States and writing moody, low-key songs (he barely gets to sing on the whole LP, apart from 'Wore my heart on my sleeve', is that Man Enough, the only decent song, just about), and crediting Chateau Marmont in his acknowledgements that he totally lost sight of what he was doing. How any Lloyd fan could rate this over Mainstream let alone Easy Pieces defies comprehension. Do you think I'm ready for the message-board? Is there a character called New Tailor on it? See, I'm all prepared.
King of Confidence

Post by King of Confidence »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:K of C: Ellington/Mingus/Roach: Money Jungle sounds great. What a line-up. Never heard it, butwould like to check it out. What year's it from?
Around 1962. It's awesome. It's under Ellington's name, but the three contribute equally. On the Blue Note edition I have, there are some bonus tracks; not sure what you will find in the UK. It was originally a United Artists release.

The title track is my favorite. Pissed-off, frenetic playing from Mingus, matched by Ellington playing in a hard, aggressive way you don't associate with him.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Chinatown! I love it.
I've suspected that the only Thin Lizzy songs known enough (cos I've been thinking of putting one in the tower) are The Boys Are Back In Town and Whiskey In The Jar... Anyone know if many (or any) others were popular at least in UK/Ireland? They're one of my very favourite rock bands, and Phil Lynott (RIP) was such a talent.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Jailbreak and Rosalie were minor hits over here if I remember right. I really like the Live and Dangerous album.
signed with love and vicious kisses
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Rosalie was originally a Bob Seger song, believe it or not. What about these singles -- Don't Believe A Word, Dancing In The Moonlight, Waiting For An Alibi, Do Anything You Want To Do, Sarah, Chinatown, Killer On The Loose, Are You Ready, Still In Love With You, Hollywood, The Sun Goes Down, Parisienne Walkways - do these get played on the radio at all?
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Wow Otis...such a strong reaction. I actually like quite a lot on DGWOMB:

'Weeping Wine' I love.

'There for Her' may be very Glenn Campbell, but it does stuff for me....possibly cos I was in the middle of a break up at the time.

'Pay for it' is pretty ok - again a break up memory song.

Man Enough - I'm with you on that one.

and finally.....I do not know how you could have missed the balladry brilliance of 'What he Doesn't know'.....pure Lloyd at his best for me. Up there with 'Are you ready to be...' and 'For Crying Out Loud' (Etc).

However, I take your point about him going a bit low key and moody in the good ole US of A. I think that the same thing happened to Graham Parker. He hasn't made a great album since he settled in the states.....Burning Questions was his last good one IMHO

Anyhow..different strokes and all that... :?
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Thin Lizzy - they were big! Boys Are Back in Town on ads and Toy Story 2 rejuvenated interest. I wouldn't say they get played much, but there' always been something cool about them. I think Live and Dangerous helped a lot there. Like man at the time, I played it to death in my teen bedroom. Rosalie was a corker on it, The Cowboy Song was great. Phil was a cool dude. A sad junky with a posh wife, by all accounts a phenomenal shagmeister, and that very rare thing (at the time, at least), a non-white Dubliner.

Doof: I will check out again and see if your enthusiasm helps me. I'm sure I will always think of it as totally inferior in his cannon though. (I did have Man Enough on the brain today, though.) Where's the URL, come on! Have I got to search for it? ... Well I tried and failed. Google seemed to indicate there'd be something at lloydcole.com, but, interesting though the site was, no sign. Over to you.

(I'm angry at myself for missing playing at a smallish club venue in Cambridge a year or two ago, and he's not coming here on the current tour. I want to see Lloyd - last time was Barcelona in 1988, Mainstream. he knows how to show off and ingratiate himself, he came on and send 'Buenas tardes' or something, and then said 'I suppose that should be in Catalan', which went down a treat. Good gig.)
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

What about these singles -- Don't Believe A Word, Dancing In The Moonlight, Waiting For An Alibi, Do Anything You Want To Do, Sarah, Chinatown, Killer On The Loose, Are You Ready, Still In Love With You, Hollywood, The Sun Goes Down, Parisienne Walkways - do these get played on the radio at all?
I am familiar with them all up to Killer on The loose, don't know the next four. Parisienne Walkways was Gary Moore, not Thin Lizzy.
I don't hear them on the radio now, but I don't listen to much radio, but I guess you would hear them on a golden oldies station particularly Sarah, Whiskey in The Jar & Dancing In The Moonlight. I also recall hearing Parisienne Walkways regularly blaring out of pub jukeboxes on a regular basis.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Now...is my avatar back??

Currently listening to:

"Steppin' Out", The Best of Joe Jackson
"My Aim Is True", Rhino Re-Issue
"The Convincer", Nick Lowe
"Volume Four", The Joe Jackson Band
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

All compilations this week...but I'm still in aural heaven

Jackie Mittoo - Champion In The Arena '76-77. Mittoo meets Sly 'n' Robbie and makes my pulse rate drop by 20bpm
Talvin Singh - Back To Mine. Talvin's own selection, heavily influenced by ambient Indian rhythms. A perfect backdrop for some serious Crushin'
Blue! - a mix CD from perfectblue with Lemon Jelly, Dirtbombs, Audiobullys, Mooney Suzuki etc . Oh, and Elliot "Peter Beardsley" Smith.
Bilongo - "a collection of modern afro rhythms - antillan jazz, latin grooves, afrobeat and afro funk". Some of them sung in French, but good nonetheless.
A Cellarful of Motown - not the big hits, but the rare Northern Soul dance tracks favoured at North England all-nighters. When listening to this on the train, I just can't keep my feet still.... crazy Gaijin !
Where's North from 'ere?
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

just got back from seeing alkaline trio in austin and can't stop listening to their new album good mourning. also listening to:

birthday party-prayers on fire
throwing muses-s/t (still listening to it. go buy it right now!!)
fugazi-the argument
tom waits-bone machine
soul coughing-ruby vroom
pixies-come on pilgrim
nine inch nails-the frafile (stop laughing)
ec-trust and get happy
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

just got back from seeing alkaline trio in austin and can't stop listening to their new album good mourning. also listening to:

birthday party-prayers on fire
throwing muses-s/t (still listening to it. go buy it right now!!)
fugazi-the argument
tom waits-bone machine
soul coughing-ruby vroom
pixies-come on pilgrim
nine inch nails-the frafile (stop laughing)
ec-trust and get happy
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

so lacklustre wrote:Parisienne Walkways was Gary Moore, not Thin Lizzy.
Yeh, but Phil Lynott wrote it.

Thin Lizzy did it as well.
girl out of time

today´s faves

Post by girl out of time »

currently...

when i was cruel followed by gotan project followed by swiss movement by les mccann and eddie harris
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

girloutoftime - what's Swiss Movement like ? I have about 12 different versions of "Compared To What" but I've never heard the original album tha spawned one of my all time favourite songs. The best covers I've heard are by Mr Floods Party (a Northern Soul classic ), Roberta Flack and more recently, David Holmes. Hmmm, you've got me curious now.
Where's North from 'ere?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Anyone else get June's issue of Uncut? The free CD is called 'Acid Daze' and contains 18 'psychedelic classics from the UK underground'. Just been listening to it and chillin' out, there are some really greta tracks on it such as:
The Small Faces - Green Circles
Kevin Ayers - Clarence In Wonderland
Dantalian's Chariot - Madman Running Through The Fields

Also tracks by Tommorrow, Syd Barrett, The Spencer Davis Group, The Nice, The Pink Fairies and Donovan.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

I ran out of HMV today screaming 'cos I couldn't take any more of David Gray assaulting my ears. Okay, I made the running out of the shop bit up, though I did leave in a bad mood.

I went to see a friend of a friend's band play at LIPA last night. They were great and informed us that they have a record out on some indie label but I can't remember the name of it, nor the name of the band. That's terrible :oops: . I'll have to ask my mate what they're called and for their cd.

That's all I've listened to in the past 24 hours. Making up for it now by listening to Armed Forces at a very un-neighbourly level.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Buns I am right there with ya on David G. Gak.

Sol (like that abbreviation, though it brings 'shit outta luck' to mind as well) tell us if that UNCUT CD is good. It sounds very groovy to me. Lord knows I'll have plenty of time to contemplate purchasing it as it makes its way over the Atlantic on whatever two-masted schooner they use for importing such things.

And C Punk, is your new avatar from GROSSE POINTE BLANK? Ya Cusack freak, ya.
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

currently: talking heads - more songs about buildings and food. i bought it today at the record castle for 3 bucks. go me.

recently: hot hot heat - scenes one through thirteen, the prodigy - fat of the land, get happy, and the roots - phrenology. "the seed" is one of the best singles i've heard in aaaaaages. word.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Lately in the car....weird but...

Ray Charles
Rolling Stones
T Rex
McCartney-- Ram

Sulky, there was no Joe Jackson in Kalamazoo...it's at times such as this I wish I lived in Chicago or something....I had the Cd store order it for me though...
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I picked up the new Cream BBC Sessions disc, and just before I left England I picked up Johnny Cash At San Quentin. Both very good.

I've also been listening to a lot of Joni Mitchell lately (although Hejira and Blue are still the only albums I have).

I have lots of CDs I want to pick up, but I need to start working first. :D