Album Focus: "Worship And Tribute" - Glassjaw

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
wehitandrun

Album Focus: "Worship And Tribute" - Glassjaw

Post by wehitandrun »

Formed at the age of 13, Glassjaw were the "young kids" in the Long Island hardcore scene, and grew up playing music together. Ross Robinson, acclaimed producer and creator of the "Nu Metal" fad, was first to discover this New York five piece. Their first album Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence was a full on hardcore record, with a hint of misogyny in the lyrics ("i'll hold my child's head under water- if it's a boy I'm joking. If it's a daughter, I'll say I did what I did because I had to. If you see my kid later tell her I laughed too.") Glassjaw have sinced matured, and grown passed this phase.

Daryl Palumbo's lyrical stylings are influenced greatly by the words of Tori Amos and Frank Zappa. "When I sit back and read their lyrics, they write the most beautiful shit in the world. But at the same time it’s the most sarcastic shit, with little barbs that leak in at every given juncture."

Spectacular key changes, beautiful vocal work, and mind-boggling sound structure help make Worship And Tribute (Glassjaw's major label debut) the definitive rock album of 2002. "Elvis Costello fronting the Bad Brains" were the words chosen by one clever critic, and no description has ever felt so correct.

-------
Track Breakdown :
1. Tip Your Bartender - One of those songs that most people really will not get into the first few times they hear it. An intimidating intro and a high-pitched Daryl Palumbo (reminiscent of "El Mark") kick Worship and Tribute into gear. Such a great track, with almost sarcastic lyrics("All my x'es live with hexes/this is why I hang/myself with jealousy upon a fencepost halfmast") screamed violently over mind blowing riffs and all-out inspiring feedback. An agressive song with a delightful chorus where Daryl bends his voice in ways one could only dream.
Favorite Lyric - "I'd like to die like fucking mice do. I'm crying in the beer of a drunk man."

2. Mu Empire - Extremely fast strumming. Extremely fast strumming. Extr... yeah. The intro to Mu Empire will haunt your sex fantasies for years upon years. The lyrics(Mr. Shiver/In the river) bring back memories from Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence. This is just a fun song to sing and to play and to listen to. It borrows lyrics from "Tewt" and I believe a riff from "Grasper" (two demo tracks recorded before W/T). Ending with a non-word, all-note singing Palumbo... this song is a "laster" for all fans.
Favorite Lyric - "You might lose the one you choose, you might lose who won you... times ten."

3. Cosmopolitan Bloodloss - The infamous song with the "Vincent Gallo" music video... ahhhh yes. This one really grew on me, and became one of my obsessions. The extremely hard riffs/drums and the soothing vocals go together so well. On this track is where Daryl's voice is at its best in my opinion, and the between-verse slammings are just beautiful and keep you jumping all day.
Favorite Lyric - "We are the most impassioned ugly people."

4. Ape Dos Mil - The song for all of the clowns with cheating clownwifes. Once again, as I will say for every song here... Daryl's voice is amazing. The vocal melody especially in this song is genius. It says that this track is 5:06, but it just flies by because you never want it to end. This song'll turn the boys into "official" rockstars.
Favorite Lyric - "I walk around with my horns out now but it's not easy to know."

5. Pink Roses - Another song I wasn't really into at first listen. But it is just such an aggressive song... that you can't help but come back for more of it. The lyrics seem to be related to his father's alcoholism, but can be interpreted differently as well. The chorus is beautifully done, as we hear more of the infamous Daryl Palumbo "voice bending." There is borderline-yelling/screaming throughout this entire track, but overtheline energy. Drink it, and drink it good.
Favorite lyric - "And if it ain't sold platinum or gold... this'll be the biggest liar you've ever seen."

6. Must've Run All Day - Beautiful song title for a beautiful song. This is the "change up" pitch for Worship and Tribute. It really shows where GlassJaw has come and where they are heading as a band. The drums really catch my attention here... consistently amazing. There is so much confidence in Daryl's voice in this track as well. The outro catches you off guard as everything is turned up a notch without warning... which acts as a perfect segway into the next track.
Favorite Lyric - "If you're lying in bed with the pride of a lion... are you there?"

7. Stuck Pig - Stuck Pig, since first hearing it... was my favorite song. I didn't expect much screaming by Daryl on this record... but this track really pleased me, and I had it on repeat for around two weeks straight. The lyrics are wonderful, the changeups[a GlassJaw fan must live by that word] are wonderful, and all the pairs of wet underwear this song exposes you to are wonderful. The anger is unexplainable, just take every EYEWTKAS track and put it into one... heh, okay, thats an overstatement.
Favorite Lyric - "Some nights the windpipe's covered in dope, I pray it be covered in a rope."

8. Radio Cambodia - If you're one of those kids who love GlassJaw... and all your friends hate GlassJAw... than this is the song your friends will like. It's the friendliest song on the album, and its punkish riffs are reminiscent of "Ry Ry's Song." The best part of this song are the lyrics[some are borrowed from the classic "star above my bed]. They tell a great story and give a great message. This is just a fun song, that you really wouldn't expect.
Favorite Lyric - "Summer's trudging closer and the flurry of white as well... it's the heart of nuclear winter and I'm scared as hell."

9. Cavalcade - The onion of Worship and Tribute. This song has so many layers that it's simply breathtaking. The infamous sportscaster bit is near the end of this track- which is a lengthy one, the longest on the record at 6:04. I can't really put this track into words. I can listen to it over and over... but there are no words for this song, except maybe the whole "sportscaster part rocks" review which we've all read. Well,... uhh... the "home is where the heart is" part rocks. Heh... just listen to it... twice.
Favorite Lyric - "My life is such a ball that I run the world from city hall... and I own you all."

10. Trailer Park Jesus - Yes, the slickest track on the record. The opening lyric("Put the needle to the record/and hit me with your style"] is hauntingly smooth. This is another slower track, but that is by no means a negative attribute. This song really reminds me of Elvis Costello, especially on a certain lyric("it was quite a dirty habit")... I dunno if anyone else has really gotten that thought, but if so... we should hug. The vocal melody on this track is also amazing... if only this song were a person...
Favorite Lyric - "Denial is a river in Egypt, division is a reunion in the South..."

11. Two Tabs Of Mescaline - It was read that this track's guitar parts were an accidental happening where which the band were making some fun oriental riffs on their instruments. Well, thankgod for that fun. This track is full of the GlassJaw trademark of "change ups," all executed geniusly. Lyrically it has many meanings... one of which is supposedly about a homosexual male's life at a certain age. Regardless of the meaning, this is one of those "top five" songs that you listen to in awe. "Worship and Tribute" can be heard yelled at certain points in the track.. as well as on my favorite part of the song. The third time Daryl spouts the line "worship and tribute," he sounds so exhausted and into the song... it's perfect.
Favorite Lyric - "KQED - It's a tune that equals you."

12. Convectuoso - Yeah, we all wish. This track was cut due to contractual difficulties with "Road Runner Records".
-------

Five stars, one of my top five records EVER.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

hahahaha

I doubt anybody else is going to post here, wehitandrun... try something a bit more widely known :)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

:lol:
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

amazing record. definitely a masterpiece!

--- at least for what i heard from WHAR ---
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Well, instead of mocking me... you guys can go out and buy the damn record, or even download it.

I'm trying to open some closed minds here, but it's just getting my ridiculed like it's middle school. Grow up!
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

Closed mind?...

Me?...

Nah... i don´t think that... :lol:
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Haha, oh Blood. That wasn't really directed to you... you didnt laugh at me.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

It's okay. The songs are fairly formulaic, but there are a few good ones. Everything... was decent just because of how amazingly pissed off of a record it was, but this one is just wishy washy.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I understand your opinion, except the word "formulaic"... what do you mean? "Formulaic" as in they fit with one another? Or, "formulaic" as in the songs are basic?

Because, I can say that the time changes in the chorus of "Ape Dos Mil" alone should eliminate that last opinion from anybody's mind.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

Way too many songs on the record are essentially put together like 'Ape Dos Mil' is. Ignoring minor differences in time changes, so many songs have that soft, assuring verse leading to crushing power chord chorus that seems to be post-hardcore meets power ballad. That really annoyed me about the record.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

seanpointblank wrote:Way too many songs on the record are essentially put together like 'Ape Dos Mil' is. Ignoring minor differences in time changes, so many songs have that soft, assuring verse leading to crushing power chord chorus that seems to be post-hardcore meets power ballad. That really annoyed me about the record.
I wouldn't say they ignore the minor time changes... they definitly know what they're doing.

Which other songs have the soft verse into power chord chorus?

The first three track don't...
track 5 is all out insane...
track 6 is ballad through and through, then has the change of pace in the last 10-20 seconds, which IMO is really awesome...
track 7 is all out insane...
track 8 is "Ry Rys Song" recreated...
track 9 is too layered to simplify into "power ballad meets post hardcore"... (same with track 11)

Yeah, I don't think any tracks have that, except "Ape Dos Mil" or "Trailer Park Jesus". I could be wrong, though.

I did the track breakdown for my sake, not to get at you.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

I'm not saying you did it to get at me. I haven't listened to that record since it came out, honestly, so I can't go track by track with you. I do love a few songs on there, but I do remember there being like 5 or 6 tracks in the format I suggested. Maybe you look at them differently, but I get bothered when the soft verse leads into a powerchord crushing chorus, it feels like a cop out from trying to make the song flow well. It's my complaint with most of the pop-punk hardcore acts like the Used, etc. Not to throw Glassjaw in that category, but that's the genre that I feel is the worst at making a chorus and verse flow together.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Yeah, I agree.

What I we referring to with the track breakdown comment was the track breakdown I did in my latest post(about the power chord choruses).

I understand Glassjaw being grouped with the bands they tour with (and the bands that just rip them off- The Used, etc)... but I definitly feel they are the exception of the bunch.