I want to see the bright lights...

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Mr Thompson may be my favourite songwriter, and is by far the best guitarist I know - no, make that instrumentalist. These two really go hand in hand, too; his solos really extend the meanings/emotions of his songs.

Not like his lyrics aren't good enough on their own, either - I think John Cougar Mellencamp once said that Richard was better at establishing a character in one line than John himself could in a whole song. Besides, he's the only guitarist I know who manages to sound like three (good) guitarists when he's playing solo acoustic gigs.

Like our Elvis, his voice might be an acquired taste for a lot of people, but again like our Elvis, it's infinitely rewarding. For anyone unfamiliar with his songs, I would suggest repeated listenings to "Gethsemane" from his latest album, "The Old Kit Bag". This lament of youthful hope and innocence betrayed is to my ears the best song of the century so far.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I just got the 3 reissues of some of R and LT's albums..I want to see the bright lights and Pour down like silver both are wicked...Hokey Pokey is good, but not a classic like the other two. I see that Henry the Human Fly is also being reissued as well.....Ive never heard that though.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

There was an ace programme on BBC2 last night about RT...and in it Bonnie Raitt was describing going to an RT gig in L.A, she said described it as 'the most intelligent people in L.A were gathered there...you know, everyone looked like Elvis Costello!' :D