Post by Bob And Charlotte »

01. My Aim Is True
02. This Year´s Model
03. Imperial Bedroom
04. Trust
05. Armed Forces
all the above are classics

06. Get Happy
hope one day i´ll figure what makes me dislike this record the way i do!

(never listen to Almost Blue - so i´m not goin to rank it)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

01. Imperial Bedroom
02. Get Happy
03. Trust
04. This Year's Model
05. Armed Forces
06. My Aim Is True
07. Almost Blue
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Trust/Get Happy!!
My Aim is True/Imperial Bedroom
Armed Forces/This Year's Model

don't have Almost Blue yet, so not ranked.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Pov

Post by Pov »

I disagree with the premise that '77-'82 were his "finest" years. It implies that he went downhill after that, which is unture. For example, KOA, ATUB, and B&C also deserve to be considered among his finest records.
Bob And Charlotte

> It implies that he went downhill after that

i didn´t say that.
Bob And Charlotte

>KOA, ATUB, and B&C also deserve to be considered among his finest records.

i never said it didnt.
TheImposter

Post by TheImposter »

Based on personal play frequency,

1 Get Happy!! (:P)
2 My Aim Is True
3 This Year's Model/Imperial Bedroom (can't decide which I've listened to more)
4 Trust
5 Armed Forces
6 Almost Blue (I've never really owned this, just heard it through downloads. Looking forward to the rerelease. His rendition of Hot Burrito #1/I'm Your Toy is one of my EC favorites)
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

01. Armed Forces
02. This Year's Model
03. Get Happy!!
04. Imperial Bedroom
05. Trust
06. Almost Blue
07. My Aim Is True
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

Screw implying it, I'd say EC did go downhill after that. He hasn't been as consistent since the time leading up to IB.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Yeah, you would say that.
daybreaker

Post by daybreaker »

1. This Year's Model
2. Imperial Bedroom
3. Almost Blue
4. Get Happy!!
5. Armed Forces
6. My Aim Is True
7. Trust
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

wehitandrun wrote:Yeah, you would say that.
You're telling me that EC has put out 6 original studio albums in a row as solid as MAIT through IB? Please. Stop trying to make things personal, being young in age doesn't mean you have to act childish, good sir. We shall overcome.
Last edited by seanpointblank on Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

I checked your post in that thread where we ranked our favorite EC albums, and your top 5 were all from this time period, WHAR, so I think you'd say that, too.

I'm not saying EC has put tons of crap after that. The only record I really have distaste for is GCW, everything else has at least been pretty good, great, or at least respectable for its daring approach. I'm just saying, EC, like any other songwriter I can think of that has been around for a long period of time hasn't put out 5 star albums over the course of his entire career, and like most, the wealth of quality records is found early on.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

1. This Years Model

2. My Aim Is True

3. Imperial Bedroom

4. Armed Forces

5. All This Useless Beauty
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Bob And Charlotte

let´s wait Dylan´s next 3 records... :D
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

seanpointblank wrote:I checked your post in that thread where we ranked our favorite EC albums, and your top 5 were all from this time period, WHAR, so I think you'd say that, too.

I'm not saying EC has put tons of crap after that. The only record I really have distaste for is GCW, everything else has at least been pretty good, great, or at least respectable for its daring approach. I'm just saying, EC, like any other songwriter I can think of that has been around for a long period of time hasn't put out 5 star albums over the course of his entire career, and like most, the wealth of quality records is found early on.

Yeah, my top five is from that time. But, being an E.C. fan yourself, you should know that there is a thin line between his 10 best albums.

I'm not trying to get into another ridiculous, over-the-top debate with you (as much as you would love a third go at it). I do agree that these are his finest years. The Jackson_Doofster inside of all of us got the best of me with the "you would say that" post. I apologize for that.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

I'm not looking for another debate. I'm just saying he did go downhill, however slightly. I'm not one who believes EC is crap now, I'm just saying I believe, while he is still fabulous and his latter records still rank high on my overall list of fav albums, they aren't quite as high as those early ones.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

*ignores petty little comment from kid in short trousers in the corner* :roll:

seanpointblank is absolutely right IMHO.

This is not to say that there haven't been serious moments of EC genius since IB. KOA and B&C were great. Spike, MLAR and BY are good records and there isn' much wrong wrong with ATUB and When I was Cruel (which I rate as his patchiest pop record since GCW).

However, during the years through from 1977-1982, he was so prolific that it should leave any real music fan speechless. I used to sit up half the night waiting for the Monday morning release of a new EC album in those days. He was the premier singer-songwriter in the world by 1982 and he was so exciting and innovative.

Over the years, despite still loving his music, I think he has become a bit of a magpie. He takes the musical ideas of others and does something beautiful with it in his own unique way. It's great, but it isn't Imperial Bedroom or TYM I'm afraid. This is not a criticism. The death knell for the pure pop EC record every year, came when GCW was such a disaster. In that sense, you could say that 1985 was the most important EC year. Whatever went on in his mind that year had a profound effect on his career and changed my musical listening forever.
corruptio optimi pessima
katoomba

Post by katoomba »

1. This Years Model
2. Armed Forces
3. My Aim is True
4. Imperial Bedroom
5. Get Happy
6. Alomst Blue
7. Trust
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Jackson Monk wrote:However, during the years through from 1977-1982, he was so prolific that it should leave any real music fan speechless. I used to sit up half the night waiting for the Monday morning release of a new EC album in those days. He was the premier singer-songwriter in the world by 1982 and he was so exciting and innovative.

Over the years, despite still loving his music, I think he has become a bit of a magpie. He takes the musical ideas of others and does something beautiful with it in his own unique way. It's great, but it isn't Imperial Bedroom or TYM I'm afraid. This is not a criticism. The death knell for the pure pop EC record every year, came when GCW was such a disaster. In that sense, you could say that 1985 was the most important EC year. Whatever went on in his mind that year had a profound effect on his career and changed my musical listening forever.
Huh?
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

1. Imperial Bedroom
2. My Aim is True
2. Almost Blue
2. Get Happy
3. Trust
6. This years model
7. Armed Forces

Don't let me be misunderstood, but I don't get the fuss about TYM and Armed Forces. Sure they are head and shoulders above a lot of music but more mainstream compared to the other ec albums from that time.
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

1. Get Happy!!
2. This Years Model
3. Imperial Bedroom
4. Trust
5. My Aim Is True
6. Armed Forces
7. Almost Blue

It's amazing how many great songs poured out of the man in those years, but my Top Three albums are from different decades: 1. Get Happy!! 2. The Juliet Letters 3. Spike, and I have high hopes for the next Imposters record. Actually, to me it seems like he still writes as many great songs as ever, he just doesn't release them all.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

wehitandrun wrote:
Jackson Monk wrote:However, during the years through from 1977-1982, he was so prolific that it should leave any real music fan speechless. I used to sit up half the night waiting for the Monday morning release of a new EC album in those days. He was the premier singer-songwriter in the world by 1982 and he was so exciting and innovative.

Huh?
...never mind oh thick one. :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Hmm... you sure?