The MacManus Brothers

Pretty self-explanatory
Gilbert

The MacManus Brothers

Post by Gilbert »

In all the years I have followed Elvis, he has done very well to keep details of his family to himself. Here's a really surprising snippet from saturday's Sun newspaper...

LOOK out for RIVERWAY’s new indie-pop single Don’t Start Me Off. It’s a quality track but that’s no surprise – the Twickenham-based band is made up of ELVIS COSTELLO’s four younger brothers.

The imagination boggles...

Here's a pic from their website - only the bloke second from the left isn't a McManus!

Four eyes - one vision
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Here's a link to their website
http://www.riverway.8m.com/band/index.html
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

What a bunch a youngin's! The marvels of second marriages...
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Jonathan Ross played a song from these on t'radio today (I'm sure someone will provide an appropriate link). Not too bad, with more than a hint of The Coral.
Toy Soldier-Scaremonger

Post by Toy Soldier-Scaremonger »

Unbelievable! These cats all look like little Elvis'. And Gilbert, could you make your avatar a little bigger please? I just can't see it that well. :o
I can't remember being any younger.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I dont know why, but this whole thing makes me angry.

Maybe it's that I'm realizing that I'm not Elvis's only son.

<3,
s.
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

I think those are the same guys that painted my parent's house last summer.
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

All these friggin boy bands make me sick.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Well, bartal, these boys play their instruments. I wouldnt call them boybands.

<3,
s.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

wehitandrun wrote:I dont know why, but this whole thing makes me angry.

Maybe it's that I'm realizing that I'm not Elvis's only son.
s.
They're not EC's sons, they're his younger brothers.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Good, so I'm still his favorite.

<3,
s.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.c ... tsteps.php

Twickenham band follows some famous footsteps
By Sarah Bell

THE Rolling Stones, The Who, Eric Claptonjust some of the legends in rock and roll's hall of fame who struck their first chords in the borough. And now poised to follow in their footsteps are Riverway.

Featuring four brothers and named after the Twickenham street where they grew up, the band are picking up strong support for their debut single, Don't start me off' which is released next month.

Music is in the blood of the McManus brothers- Ronan, Ruairi, Liam and Kieran - their father Ross was a renowned jazz singer and their elder brother Declan is probably better known as Elvis Costello.

"It has always been the family business. It's what we do," explains singer Ronan.

But how does their relationship compare with rock's most tempestuous siblings, the Gallagher brothers?

"There are only two brothers in Oasis, there are four of us, which means double the arguments. But it can work two ways, as it is no effort for us to say what we really think," says Ronan.

The band also contains one non-sibling, bassist David Bowles, who has been in the band for three years and sensibly describes himself as totally Switzerland'. "I try and stay out of it when they blow up, try and stay on everyone's side because if you take one it will come back and haunt you," he says.

Ronan adds: "We get on a lot better than we used to, but we spend so much time together that it would be difficult not to argue. There is a real bond between us though and I think it comes across in our music. We are familiar with each other's playing as well as our personalities."

There was no conscious decision by the brothers, who went to St James' School in Twickenham, to create a band and get involved in music, we always say it's just what we do, like breathing it's an instinct,' Ronan explains.

Their musical style is described as featuring great songs, tight harmonies, chiming guitars and gravely vocals', influenced by their wide musical taste, the Counting Crows and artists like Jeff Buckley are cited as particular favourites.

There was always music at River Way as the boys were growing up. Keyboard player Kieron did the usual piano lessons throughout childhood and their father always encouraged them to sing. Liam was last to take up an instrument and Ruairi explains how he ended up on drums, "Were playing as four of us about eight years ago, I'd been playing the drums for about three years, Liam sat down and after five minutes was better than I was".

Ronan is the group's main lyricist, although the songs are a collaboration. He says: "I have always written, since I was ten. I thought if I kept writing and writing, then I would come up with something half decent eventually. So I just kept going."

And the band's definition of a good song? "If you can break it down to an acoustic guitar and someone singing and it still sounds good then that's what we want. No gimmicks," he states.

Dad Ross played in the Joe Loss Orchestra and has always encouraged the brothers. Ruairi explains: "He instilled a good work ethic into us, saying if you want to do it, then get out there and do it. We formed the band and went out playing clubs and pubs, learning our trade, getting out there to play." The Three Kings in Twickenham is a regular haunt for the band, they have been performing there for about six years. Ronan says: "He's a cracking landlord.

"He lets us play anything we want, some landlords say you have to play certain things."

And these days the band perform to more people than just their mum. He says: "We do have friends who come along and support us regularly. But we are starting to see people we don't know who we just see at gigs. It's not easy on a wet Tuesday to get people out of their homes to see a band playing. So to see people making the effort, coming out and paying money to see you, is really cool."

The band also frequent the Half Moon in Putney, the King's Head in Fulham and the Grey Horse in Kingston. But the live music scene isn't as healthy as when the area's first rock bands were playing. "You just have to look at what was the Bull and Bush, all that rock heritage and they changed it into a big wine bar. There used to be a plaque above the door which listed the bands which had played there the Kinks, Small Faces, Rolling Stones proper bands playing locally," Ronan says.

"But in last ten years bands like us just couldn't get a look in, what was the point in getting into a rock band, because if you were not Westlife you were not going to get signed up. So venues which took bands closed down. A lot of rock and roll history in the area has been taken over by wine bars."

But things are beginning to look up he says: "People were determined to come out of the other side and now we have a renaissance in bands, which is cool. So hopefully some venues will start opening up again."

They also cite the new laws concerning music licences as a problem, if you want to have more than two people on the stage then you have to have a licence. "It's strangling the life out of live music", Liam says.

How has hailing from Twickenham shaped the band? "We're not like Oasis, coming from a Manchester council estate, so we can't say we grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, but it is a really arty place and you are exposed to different people and classes here" says Ruairi.

Ronan adds: "A lot of people at our gigs and our friends are musicians, artists, dancers. And the Stones started from Twickenham and are still very popular and that is something to be proud of and we want to do them proud."

Older brother Elvis Costello has given the band advice, but they don't need to rely on his name to make it. Ruairi explains: "It's a point of interest for people and we would never deny it. He really went for it and did it, was single minded about it. He had a couple of top tens before I was even born, was always famous as we grew up.

"He has taken a healthy interest but he does his own thing and we do our own thing, his view is that if we're good enough we'll make it by ourselves."

Kieron adds: "He made it all real and seem possible. It made you think people really do this'."

After a warning that I'll need a whole new notebook and pen, Ronan is surprisingly succinct in presenting his view of Pop Idol, bone idle' he says. They elaborate that this laziness is on the part of the record companies and artists who are looking for fast quick fame. The group's debut single was only meant to be a small release but has been regularly played on Radio 2, "It is just getting bigger and bigger," Ronan says.

Ruairi describes the moment he realised that Radio 2 DJ Richard Allinson was playing their song on the radio for the first time. "It wasn't even a proper CD, it was only a copy, which a lot of cd players can't read, so halfway through it stopped. I had been ringing everyone saying we're on the radio', and then it was like oh, now we're not anymore'.

"It was never meant to be a big deal but now we're getting played on the biggest radio station in the country."

The group are to start recording their album in the next few weeks, with Adam Seymour of the Pretenders.

Last word from Ronan: "We've got the right ingredients so with a bit of luck we should make it." For this band of brothers, the future is certainly looking bright.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/artic ... 1000500881

If you thought Elvis Costello was a one-off, think again. His four younger brothers make their recording debut this month in the Ireland-based band Riverway. Ronan, Ruairi, Liam and Kieran MacManus all use the names they were given at birth, and they still insist on referring to their older brother by his family name of Declan MacManus.

"We love Dec's stuff," lead singer Ronan tells Billboard. "And the music Dad played around the house when we were kids gave us a really broad exposure, from Sinatra to Segovia." The group's first single, "Don't Start Me Off" (Kapow Records), suggests the brothers have been influenced not only by "Dec" but also by such groups as Counting Crows and Reef.

"We've worked together as a band for six years, since we left college," guitarist Ruairi MacManus adds. "We've never done anything else. It's never even occurred to us." A debut album, "The Monkey and the Typewriter," is due this summer.

-- Nigel Williamson, London

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://riverway.biz/index.php

Riverway's site is completed - see above.

The gallery includes this menacing photo -Image

....don't they look a little hungry?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I like the one who's second from the right. He looks like the non-MacManus of the bunch.
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

...Does anyone else think those haircuts should be banned?
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i'm not one for banning stuff....

... but it think it would be appropriate to make fun of them.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Mikeh

Riverway

Post by Mikeh »

I just sold a CD on Ebay - Elvis's Dad Sings Elvis, which is Ross MacManus singing Presley. The buyer was none other than Ronan MacManus, son of Ross! Sadly, they have knocked Riverway on the head! He is trying to collect all the recordings by his dad.
Ronan MacManus

Post by Ronan MacManus »

i agree the hair looked silly... what can i say? we had to play the game to a certain extent, but we definitely weren't a fecking boyband!... i felt we had something to offer people but obviously noone else in any positions of power agreed... i thought there was always room for a band that just wrote good songs and played them well, but it seems you have to just be a gimmick... it's what pisses me off about the uk record buying public, they'll send bob the builder and mr blobby to number 1 but bands like us can't get arrested...
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

Okay, either someone is playing a horrible joke......or that is the coolest thing ever.....OMG... Ronan on the board??? SWEET!!!
:D
"Did you ever think there's far too many people in the world"?
Branst

Post by Branst »

Welcome to the board Ronan!
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

I forone can't beleive elvis has 4 (that's right 4) younger brothers. Although they are half brothers I beleive, that still seems awkward to me. When I think of Elvis I think of a man with a wife and a few fans here and there andnothing more. And I like it that way, but to think Elvis is exposed to 4 younger brothers and a son, it just gives the impression he's a normal family man (and 1 listen to MLAR will give you the contrary).
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
whar

Post by whar »

Ronan MacManus wrote:i thought there was always room for a band that just wrote good songs and played them well, but it seems you have to just be a gimmick...

Or you can keep working at writing good songs...
Oy with the poodles, already!
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

Ronan MacManus wrote: bands like us can't get arrested...
Persevere with those haircuts and your luck's gonna change...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Ronan - there's always The X Factor :lol:

Unfortunately most record labels are going to either play it safe with a manufactured boy/girl band or they are going to look through the rubbish reality shows.

And as for bands like you not getting arrested - have a word with your old fella - perhaps you can all busk outside the offices of Sony or something!

Good luck.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?